The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
45
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
131
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
36
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
63
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
32
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
20
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
15
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
16
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
43
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
17
4%
 
Total votes: 418

dsberkeley
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby dsberkeley » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:01 pm

ray.bee wrote:Got a WL from UCLA ED in late December. Does anyone know if it's true that they pull from ED applicants first? I sent an LOCI early this month and they basically said they aren't looking at stuff until May. :|


Also WL from UCLA ED in early December. Probably gonna start sending in stuff later this month regardless. Only school to waitlist me and it's my first choice.

ray.bee
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby ray.bee » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:10 pm

dsberkeley wrote:
ray.bee wrote:Got a WL from UCLA ED in late December. Does anyone know if it's true that they pull from ED applicants first? I sent an LOCI early this month and they basically said they aren't looking at stuff until May. :|


Also WL from UCLA ED in early December. Probably gonna start sending in stuff later this month regardless. Only school to waitlist me and it's my first choice.


Same (so far-- I am expecting some rejections most likely LOL). Still, I don't get how I got in at Vandy and not ED UCLA.. I know they pull A LOT of people from WL though, but their admissions decisions (from what I have seen on this site) right now is like super confusing

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby somedeadman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
somedeadman wrote:GPA - 3.66-3.7
LSAT - 169

Waitlisted at Cornell, Duke, UVA, and Penn.


I think you should write LOCIs for all of them. You should have a really good chance of getting off the WLs!
Did you interview at Cornell by any chance??

Definitely will be doing that, and no, I was not interviewed

ray.bee
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby ray.bee » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:51 am

So, people say visiting a law school is a good way to get off the WL. I toured the school/sat in on a Torts class in late Sept. Is it weird to visit again after being WLed in Dec.? LOL I want to use that advice, but it seems like it's for those who have never been to the school before.

Rubbishdump
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Rubbishdump » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:11 am

somedeadman wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
somedeadman wrote:GPA - 3.66-3.7
LSAT - 169

Waitlisted at Cornell, Duke, UVA, and Penn.


I think you should write LOCIs for all of them. You should have a really good chance of getting off the WLs!
Did you interview at Cornell by any chance??

Definitely will be doing that, and no, I was not interviewed

Your cycle is confusing - how many times have you taken? Do you have good LORs?

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby somedeadman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
somedeadman wrote:GPA - 3.66-3.7
LSAT - 169

Waitlisted at Cornell, Duke, UVA, and Penn.


I think you should write LOCIs for all of them. You should have a really good chance of getting off the WLs!
Did you interview at Cornell by any chance??

Definitely will be doing that, and no, I was not interviewed

Your cycle is confusing - how many times have you taken? Do you have good LORs?


Two times - 169, then 168. I believe I have good LORs (went to a liberal arts college so I knew my professors very well). I was waitlisted at Duke in November, so I wonder if timing has anything to do with it.

Keilz
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Keilz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:54 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
somedeadman wrote:GPA - 3.66-3.7
LSAT - 169

Waitlisted at Cornell, Duke, UVA, and Penn.


I think you should write LOCIs for all of them. You should have a really good chance of getting off the WLs!
Did you interview at Cornell by any chance??

Definitely will be doing that, and no, I was not interviewed

Your cycle is confusing - how many times have you taken? Do you have good LORs?


Two times - 169, then 168. I believe I have good LORs (went to a liberal arts college so I knew my professors very well). I was waitlisted at Duke in November, so I wonder if timing has anything to do with it.


did you write Why X essays?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Got bored so I created a poll!

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby somedeadman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Keilz wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
somedeadman wrote:GPA - 3.66-3.7
LSAT - 169

Waitlisted at Cornell, Duke, UVA, and Penn.


I think you should write LOCIs for all of them. You should have a really good chance of getting off the WLs!
Did you interview at Cornell by any chance??

Definitely will be doing that, and no, I was not interviewed

Your cycle is confusing - how many times have you taken? Do you have good LORs?


Two times - 169, then 168. I believe I have good LORs (went to a liberal arts college so I knew my professors very well). I was waitlisted at Duke in November, so I wonder if timing has anything to do with it.


did you write Why X essays?

That I did.

User avatar
shotgunheist
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby shotgunheist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:10 pm

WL BC with 50%'s. A bit surprised but not death sentence.

User avatar
Nightwing
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Nightwing » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Priority Reserve waitlisted at Duke

sre08
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby sre08 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:02 am

I also have a question about visiting schools. I'm on the Duke priority reserve, with more WLs to come probably. I'm thinking of visiting Duke to show my continued interest (on top of writing a LOCI). Any thoughts on how effective visits are and/or when is the best time to do so? Thanks guys, hang in there!!

tparty
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby tparty » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 pm

sre08 wrote:I also have a question about visiting schools. I'm on the Duke priority reserve, with more WLs to come probably. I'm thinking of visiting Duke to show my continued interest (on top of writing a LOCI). Any thoughts on how effective visits are and/or when is the best time to do so? Thanks guys, hang in there!!


I'm wondering when the best time to visit is too! I'm WL at GW and I found out on the 10th. I'm thinking about waiting a little longer before scheduling a visit because I already corresponded with them once to send in an addendum. I think it's best to spread out the contact to once every 2 weeks or so...

User avatar
HennessyVSOP
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby HennessyVSOP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:01 pm

WL at Vanderbilt with a <25 gpa / =75 LSAT

even getting waitlisted feels good, as this was the top reach for me.

Charlie802
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Charlie802 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:32 pm

For those that have visited or are planning to visit their WL schools. What did you say in your email to admissions about your upcoming visit? I feel like my phrasing keeps getting awkward. Did you mention you were WL'd?

User avatar
tncats
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby tncats » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:54 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:WL at Vanderbilt with a <25 gpa / =75 LSAT

even getting waitlisted feels good, as this was the top reach for me.


When did you submit your application? I have the same stats as you and am also hoping for a Vandy waitlist.

User avatar
88234
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby 88234 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:55 pm

tncats wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:WL at Vanderbilt with a <25 gpa / =75 LSAT

even getting waitlisted feels good, as this was the top reach for me.


When did you submit your application? I have the same stats as you and am also hoping for a Vandy waitlist.



I got in on those stats. Submitted 10/05 and in 1/13. There's hope for you yet!

User avatar
S.Picquery
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:58 pm

Not WL yet, but I'm basically waiting for the purgatory sentence from Penn.

User avatar
HennessyVSOP
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby HennessyVSOP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:41 pm

tncats wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:WL at Vanderbilt with a <25 gpa / =75 LSAT

even getting waitlisted feels good, as this was the top reach for me.


When did you submit your application? I have the same stats as you and am also hoping for a Vandy waitlist.


Late November.
Actual stats
[+] Spoiler
2.5/167, 3yr work experience, wrote about disability in PS

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:20 pm

If someone is waitlisted, are they truly screwed in getting money if they are later admitted?

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:00 am

somedeadman wrote:If someone is waitlisted, are they truly screwed in getting money if they are later admitted?

I'm interested in this as well. I've already gotten $$ from higher ranked schools, so curious as to whether they'd be willing to negotiate if they took me off the WL?

Charlie802
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Charlie802 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:51 am

chargers21 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:If someone is waitlisted, are they truly screwed in getting money if they are later admitted?

I'm interested in this as well. I've already gotten $$ from higher ranked schools, so curious as to whether they'd be willing to negotiate if they took me off the WL?


I know people that have gotten off WL and gotten $$. It was as simple as sending an email after they were pulled off the WL expressing that they 100% want to accept, but were hesitant because of their commitment to a school with $$. They may not match it, but they may give you something.

lcsslily
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby lcsslily » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:57 am

Waitlisted at Chicago and UPenn, but rejected right away from Cornell. Now to wait for the waitlist movement...this is going to be a long few months. Come on Penn!!

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby floatie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

WL at UVA (applied ED). Hands down my top choice school, so I'm riding this one out till the end.

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby somedeadman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:If someone is waitlisted, are they truly screwed in getting money if they are later admitted?

I'm interested in this as well. I've already gotten $$ from higher ranked schools, so curious as to whether they'd be willing to negotiate if they took me off the WL?


I know people that have gotten off WL and gotten $$. It was as simple as sending an email after they were pulled off the WL expressing that they 100% want to accept, but were hesitant because of their commitment to a school with $$. They may not match it, but they may give you something.

Cool, good to know!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests