The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

chichi1992

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Post by chichi1992 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:04 pm

zyxbhsf wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:My waitlist hopes are rapidly diminishing
may i ask why? it's may 3rd. Only T13 school that has pulled people so far is Cornell and that was almost all URM. Unless I missed something.
(1) UVA & Michigan's ominous, dream-crushing "we don't care about you" emails.
(2) Penn has made feeler calls which per TLS culminate in an acceptance, 100% of the time.
(3) You're still right; it's only May 3rd and so, there's no reason to give up yet! But, is hope rapidly diminishing? fuck yes.
What did UVA and Michigan's email's say if you don't mind sharing? UVA rejected me from the wait list today, so at least it could have been worse for ya'll lol.
Michigan has sent out waitlist update emails? I received nothing.
Michigan posts updates here: http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... /wait.aspx

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Thu May 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Hello frienz what's the consensus on letting a school know you got an outside scholarship ("a school" here is Stanford)

Good look? Bad look? Sexy look?

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Thu May 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: Soul-Crushing E-Mails for Waitlists
[+] Spoiler
Dear Hennessy,

I am writing to you with an some information regarding the waitlist for XXX Law School's incoming class. I will e-mail you periodically over the coming weeks or months. Some e-mail updates will require you to affirmatively respond to me that you still remain interested in being considered This e-mail, however, does not require an affirmative response from you, unless of course you have any questions or concerns that I can address.

Based on current data on our admissions cycle for this year, we do expect that XXX Law School will utilize our waitlist. However, the current number of confirmed seat deposits received, and the number of offers of admission outstanding suggest that we will not be making many new offers over the next three weeks. We anticipate that the vast majority of offers from our waitlist will be made in the months of June or July. In August, last minute space availability is always a possibility, but not one we can predict with any certainty.

Based on the funding currently being held by deposited students, we do not anticipate many (if any) awards higher than 45% tuition. We also know that most awards (if any) will be smaller.

Based on the information provided by you via our waitlist response form, we have recorded the following information:

Required Scholarship Support: D - X% tuition
Date by which you must hear from XXX to accept an offer: 0X/01

If this information is incorrect or you wish to update it in any way, feel free to complete the response form again. You may also use the form to remove your file from further consideration via the following link:

Some candidates ask if their chances of receiving an offer will be improved if they indicate that they are willing to accept an offer with minimal or no scholarship support. To be candid, this may be true, particulary once scholarship resources become depleted.

If we can make an offer of admission, it is with the expectation that it can be realistically considered by the candidate. If funding is depleted, candidates who require significant scholarships to attend may be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, it truly is in your best interest to assess your requirements and answer honestly. If an offer of admission is made at XXX, you will have a short window of time to consider it, and we will not be able to reconsider any scholarship determination.

Having said all of this, please know that even if a candidate indicates that an offer is viable with low or no scholarship funding, you will still be considered for any and all available funding, even higher awards. Our objective is to ultimately use all available scholarship dollars that become available and are made possible by the generous support of alumni and other friends of the law school.

We sincerely appreciate your patience, and if a space becomes available for you, we will be in touch as soon as we can.

Sincerely,
also just noticed a typo in their e-mail lol

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Thu May 04, 2017 7:21 pm

notorious_mig wrote:Hello frienz what's the consensus on letting a school know you got an outside scholarship ("a school" here is Stanford)

Check their policies. Most likely you have to tell them.

I received an outside scholarship and had to report it. They usually adjust your need based/merit aid because of it. If I'm not mistaken, I think you'd also have to report to fafsa next year and depending on how large, it needs to be listed on your taxes.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Fri May 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Patiently waiting for the waitlist acceptance wave to hit. Orientations starts in about 100-110 days. I can't make any plans like this. Any day now. Yep, that LSAT will be worth something to someone sometime soon... please.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:Hello frienz what's the consensus on letting a school know you got an outside scholarship ("a school" here is Stanford)

Check their policies. Most likely you have to tell them.

I received an outside scholarship and had to report it. They usually adjust your need based/merit aid because of it. If I'm not mistaken, I think you'd also have to report to fafsa next year and depending on how large, it needs to be listed on your taxes.
Excellent thank you kindly you're a lifesaver

skurfy

New

Post by skurfy » Fri May 05, 2017 1:22 pm

11 WLs. Sending/Sent LOCIs.

Wondering - Should I send a third LOR that I didn't use on apps? The only school I sent it to from the start is also the only t10 acceptance I got. It's academic (as are my other two) and was submitted to LSAC in October. I'm 2+ years out of school. I opted for the other two because I expected those professors to be more eloquent and have more concrete work references than this business of the arts guy.

Thoughts?

p.s. Obviously not sending to UVA :shock:

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Sun May 07, 2017 3:27 am

Wondering if I should just withdraw from my (at this point in time) 8 WL for sake of sanity. I've seen some anecdotal mylsn instances but does anyone know if getting money off the WL is possible, especially with another competitive T14 offer??

patttt

Silver

Post by patttt » Sun May 07, 2017 2:09 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:Wondering if I should just withdraw from my (at this point in time) 8 WL for sake of sanity. I've seen some anecdotal mylsn instances but does anyone know if getting money off the WL is possible, especially with another competitive T14 offer??

Sure is, especially if you show genuine interest and were WL because of YP or because they didnt like your app at first but are now interested in your numbers b/c of medians haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon May 08, 2017 4:41 pm

What's the story of WL status updates? My status update changed from 2/1 to 5/5 last week, but I've haven't heard a lick from the school.

I did resubmit my waitlist form in late April to update my acceptance deadline to mid-July. However, the first time I submitted the form, my status didn't change from 2/1.

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Mon May 08, 2017 4:43 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:What's the story of WL status updates? My status update changed from 2/1 to 5/5 last week, but I've haven't heard a lick from the school.

I did resubmit my waitlist form in late April to update my acceptance deadline to mid-July. However, the first time I submitted the form, my status didn't change from 2/1.
I had a status update the day before getting off of a waitlist. I imagine it could also mean that they added something to your file. Sorry, that's probably not much help.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:49 am

What's the protocol for sending final transcripts? Should I send out a heads up email or just let LSAC take care of it?

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Anyone know the chances of getting a scholarship off a WL? I just got accepted off the ASU waitlist last night via phone call, but without a scholarship idk if it'll be worth it since I've already deposited at a similar ranked school that'll cost me about 15-20k less per year :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Tue May 09, 2017 1:33 pm

ryan.laine94 wrote:Anyone know the chances of getting a scholarship off a WL? I just got accepted off the ASU waitlist last night via phone call, but without a scholarship idk if it'll be worth it since I've already deposited at a similar ranked school that'll cost me about 15-20k less per year :?

You could always look at people accepted off the waitlist from ASU last cycle. See if they reported scholarships.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Tue May 09, 2017 2:24 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:Wondering if I should just withdraw from my (at this point in time) 8 WL for sake of sanity. I've seen some anecdotal mylsn instances but does anyone know if getting money off the WL is possible, especially with another competitive T14 offer??
You definitely can get $ off the waitlist. I know people who have. That said, you should not let adcomms know you will want a scholarship until you are admitted.

Also, there isn't any reason to withdraw from a WL until you are 100% certain of where you are going to school.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:03 pm

haley12 wrote:What's the protocol for sending final transcripts? Should I send out a heads up email or just let LSAC take care of it?
I thought you send it to the individual schools' admissions offices you're waitlisted at instead of through lsac. my undergrad school has a web page for sending that stuff and I figure you could probably ask them to include a cover letter with your lsac id number or something

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:39 pm

One more question about scholarships, does anyone know how successful negotiating scholarships after being admitted off the waitlist is? I only have 8 days to decide but if I could get a little more money from the school it would seal the deal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue May 09, 2017 8:44 pm

I grow more and more appreciative of this thread's title with every day that passes.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 pm

ryan.laine94 wrote:One more question about scholarships, does anyone know how successful negotiating scholarships after being admitted off the waitlist is? I only have 8 days to decide but if I could get a little more money from the school it would seal the deal.
Yes, you can do this. It has been done many times. It's certainly worth trying. You should basically say what you said: "I am very interested in attending X school, but I am concerned about taking on too much debt. Is there scholarship money available?"

Good luck!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed May 10, 2017 2:27 am

Not turning out to be quite the Summer of Waitlists that everyone's been expecting. Mich, UVA and GULC have officially ruled out movement in the coming weeks which means May's gone.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 am

haley12 wrote:What's the protocol for sending final transcripts? Should I send out a heads up email or just let LSAC take care of it?
Send it to LSAC and they'll update your schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:03 pm

ryan.laine94 wrote:One more question about scholarships, does anyone know how successful negotiating scholarships after being admitted off the waitlist is? I only have 8 days to decide but if I could get a little more money from the school it would seal the deal.
I know someone who successfully negotiated their scholly once accepted off a t13 waitlist. The increase was $45k. :D

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm

freekick wrote:Not turning out to be quite the Summer of Waitlists that everyone's been expecting. Mich, UVA and GULC have officially ruled out movement in the coming weeks which means May's gone.
WL movement always starts at the top. So until HYSCCN start moving, those schools will be on stand by

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed May 10, 2017 10:08 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
freekick wrote:Not turning out to be quite the Summer of Waitlists that everyone's been expecting. Mich, UVA and GULC have officially ruled out movement in the coming weeks which means May's gone.
WL movement always starts at the top. So until HYSCCN start moving, those schools will be on stand by
The fact that they have not released anyone from the waitlist seems like they are still entertaining that possibility. Maybe HYSCNN would pull so many from their waitlist, there might be a cascade. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed May 10, 2017 11:40 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
The fact that they have not released anyone from the waitlist seems like they are still entertaining that possibility. Maybe HYSCNN would pull so many from their waitlist, there might be a cascade. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Interesting observations. Alright, let's see if HYSCCN create the much-awaited ripple. Not holding my breath, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”