The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:22 am

intlbr wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:Does anyone have any sense (even if it's anecdotal bullshit) about the % of waitlisted applicants that actually write LOCIs/visit/demonstrate genuine enthusiasm? I feel like in the TLS bubble, it's obvious to everyone that these are more or less necessary steps, but maybe it's not as ubiquitous as it seems.

I'm mostly just curious about the schools that seem to admit a LOT of students off the waitlist (looking at you, NYU). They might admit 30-45% of applicants who remain on the waitlist, but what if a solid 50% of all applicants who remain on the waitlist do nothing else other than say "yes, I still want to be considered"?
I was wondering the same thing... Plus, does anybody know if alumni emails endorsing one's application might be effective? I've heard stories of people getting pulled off the WL after some pretty influential alums sent emails (not LORs though, just regular emails) stating how wonderful said applicant is. Can anybody confirm?
I don't think necessarily that helps, given my initial recommender is a full professor at one of these schools, and I am pretty sure he did not bad mouth me. If a professor doesn't work, then an alum does not work - unless he donated a building.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:30 am

checking in - Harvard, NYU and CLS. Feeling pretty good about my penn deposit

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:31 pm

eck456 wrote:checking in - Harvard, NYU and CLS. Feeling pretty good about my penn deposit
<3 forever an eck456 fan, here.
we'll get thru this

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 pm

intlbr wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:Does anyone have any sense (even if it's anecdotal bullshit) about the % of waitlisted applicants that actually write LOCIs/visit/demonstrate genuine enthusiasm? I feel like in the TLS bubble, it's obvious to everyone that these are more or less necessary steps, but maybe it's not as ubiquitous as it seems.

I'm mostly just curious about the schools that seem to admit a LOT of students off the waitlist (looking at you, NYU). They might admit 30-45% of applicants who remain on the waitlist, but what if a solid 50% of all applicants who remain on the waitlist do nothing else other than say "yes, I still want to be considered"?
I was wondering the same thing... Plus, does anybody know if alumni emails endorsing one's application might be effective? I've heard stories of people getting pulled off the WL after some pretty influential alums sent emails (not LORs though, just regular emails) stating how wonderful said applicant is. Can anybody confirm?
Hmm... I had an NYU alumn write my rec. Would it be effective to have them email in or just redundant?

FEDRESRV

New

Post by FEDRESRV » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:56 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
FEDRESRV wrote:I received my final "initial" decision from NYU yesterday. Final tally is 13 WL/Holds. 9 of the T-13 + Texas, G-Town, Vandy and WUSTL. I will likely withdraw from two of the thirteen and ride out the rest. I have a feeling we are going to see some major movement in this thread over the next month.
Oh my. I thought Nightwing and I had the worst, but I guess you beat both of us in this regard. Are you also a splitter?
No. Not a splitter. 166/3.9. I guess that technically makes me a reverse splitter for a majority of the T-6 and an average or slightly below average candidate for the rest of the T-13 (assuming LSAT is more important than GPA, which I believe to be true).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm

FEDRESRV wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
FEDRESRV wrote:I received my final "initial" decision from NYU yesterday. Final tally is 13 WL/Holds. 9 of the T-13 + Texas, G-Town, Vandy and WUSTL. I will likely withdraw from two of the thirteen and ride out the rest. I have a feeling we are going to see some major movement in this thread over the next month.
Oh my. I thought Nightwing and I had the worst, but I guess you beat both of us in this regard. Are you also a splitter?
No. Not a splitter. 166/3.9. I guess that technically makes me a reverse splitter for a majority of the T-6 and an average or slightly below average candidate for the rest of the T-13 (assuming LSAT is more important than GPA, which I believe to be true).
Hmm that's really interesting. I think you would be a reverse splitter. I thought splitters are having a rough cycle, but I guess reverse splitters are too? Then there definitely would be a lot of waitlist movement in the summer.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue May 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Just for confirmation, we don't need to let the school we deposited at know we're on another waitlist? Is that something they can just find out on their own, or not?

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue May 02, 2017 3:50 pm

tinyvessels wrote:Just for confirmation, we don't need to let the school we deposited at know we're on another waitlist? Is that something they can just find out on their own, or not?
It's best to find out their policy - a very small number of schools will not be okay with you double depositing.

They find out on their own, LSAC circulates the number of deposits you're on to your schools I believe.

mangomochi

New

Post by mangomochi » Tue May 02, 2017 3:57 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:Just for confirmation, we don't need to let the school we deposited at know we're on another waitlist? Is that something they can just find out on their own, or not?
It's best to find out their policy - a very small number of schools will not be okay with you double depositing.

They find out on their own, LSAC circulates the number of deposits you're on to your schools I believe.
Yes, I think the double deposit list comes out in June? mid-May

However, if you're talking about just depositing at one school and staying on waitlists, then no, you have no obligation to tell this to the school where you've deposited. You also do not have to withdraw from any schools who have yet to give you an initial decision. The only thing you can be required to do (and not all schools require this) is to withdraw from schools where you've been accepted. And I think the only way schools can find out about any waitlists you're on is through you.
Last edited by mangomochi on Fri May 05, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue May 02, 2017 3:59 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:

Thanks for the response. But I didn't double deposit. I have one deposit down and am on one waitlist. So it's between those two options.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue May 02, 2017 4:00 pm

mangomochi wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:

Yes, I think the double deposit list comes out in June?

However, if you're talking about just depositing at one school and staying on waitlists, then no, you have no obligation to tell this to the school where you've deposited. You also do not have to withdraw from any schools who have yet to give you an initial decision. The only thing you can be required to do (and not all schools require this) is to withdraw from schools where you've been accepted. And I think the only way schools can find out about any waitlists you're on is through you.
That's what I thought, but was just going to make sure. Thanks.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed May 03, 2017 7:13 pm

This may be a stupid question, but do you ever get denied off a waitlist? Meaning, what happens in July or something when the class is filled, do they send out notes to everyone else saying sorry you lost?

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 pm

jjcorvino wrote:This may be a stupid question, but do you ever get denied off a waitlist? Meaning, what happens in July or something when the class is filled, do they send out notes to everyone else saying sorry you lost?
yes UVA did this to some today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:46 pm

jjcorvino wrote:This may be a stupid question, but do you ever get denied off a waitlist? Meaning, what happens in July or something when the class is filled, do they send out notes to everyone else saying sorry you lost?
Hls did it to some people last year bc the wl yield was so low

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed May 03, 2017 9:50 pm

My waitlist hopes are rapidly diminishing

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Po$eidon wrote:My waitlist hopes are rapidly diminishing
may i ask why? it's may 3rd. Only T13 school that has pulled people so far is Cornell and that was almost all URM. Unless I missed something.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed May 03, 2017 11:01 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
may i ask why? it's may 3rd. Only T13 school that has pulled people so far is Cornell and that was almost all URM. Unless I missed something.
(1) UVA & Michigan's ominous, dream-crushing "we don't care about you" emails.
(2) Penn has made feeler calls which per TLS culminate in an acceptance, 100% of the time.
(3) You're still right; it's only May 3rd and so, there's no reason to give up yet! But, is hope rapidly diminishing? fuck yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Wed May 03, 2017 11:13 pm

What UVA said -

How I felt the rest of the day after being released-
[+] Spoiler

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed May 03, 2017 11:15 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
(2) Penn has made feeler calls which per TLS culminate in an acceptance, 100% of the time.
(3) You're still right; it's only May 3rd and so, there's no reason to give up yet! But, is hope rapidly diminishing? fuck yes.
This. 1+2 are the biggies bumming me out but I suppose there's truth to 3.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed May 03, 2017 11:29 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
Based on Spivey's theory, it looks like that the game has not started yet. They need to wait for Harvard to pull enough people from the waitlist first, and then there would be a big movement in the lower T13. Desperately holding on to my pipe dream.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Thu May 04, 2017 1:17 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
Based on Spivey's theory, it looks like that the game has not started yet. They need to wait for Harvard to pull enough people from the waitlist first, and then there would be a big movement in the lower T13. Desperately holding on to my pipe dream.
I think Spivey is right considering the trend in fewer applicants and seeming unwillingness from law schools to cut down class sizes.

At this point people need to wait on HYS to start offering acceptances off the waitlist for there to be a domino effect for the rest of the top twenty or so schools to move, which will in turn also impact even the lowest tier schools most likely.

It also depends on what a school needs in terms of gpa or lsat stats. Some schools threw big money to get high lsat scores early or to get high gpas early on, and will be trying to pick people off the waitlist with high gpas/lsat scores depending on the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:47 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
What did UVA and Michigan's email's say if you don't mind sharing? UVA rejected me from the wait list today, so at least it could have been worse for ya'll lol.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu May 04, 2017 5:58 am

baseballfan660 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
What did UVA and Michigan's email's say if you don't mind sharing? UVA rejected me from the wait list today, so at least it could have been worse for ya'll lol.

This is UVA's email this morning:
Good morning from Charlottesville. I write today to provide a waitlist update.

After assessing the situation following the first-deposit deadline on April 18, we do not anticipate dipping too deeply into the waitlist pool during the next few weeks — if at all. We will continue to monitor those who have paid first deposits and will reevaluate on an ongoing basis.

Please do feel free to stay in touch with our office to keep us apprised of your continued interest. It is helpful to know who on our waitlist would still like to remain under consideration and who has made solid plans they do not have a desire to change. Do not hold back either piece of information when you feel it necessary to share.

Two matters to note:

1. It is most helpful to be in contact with our office to express either continued interest or a desire to withdraw from the waitlist via email (lawadmit@virginia.edu) rather than by phone. Materials we receive electronically are uploaded into your file for future reference.
2. This is not a period of the admissions season when additional letters of recommendation are helpful. To be blunt, they just don’t move the needle this late in the race.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process — it is much appreciated.

Cordel L. Faulk
Assistant Dean & Chief Admissions Officer/quote]

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:

This is UVA's email this morning:
Good morning from Charlottesville. I write today to provide a waitlist update.

After assessing the situation following the first-deposit deadline on April 18, we do not anticipate dipping too deeply into the waitlist pool during the next few weeks — if at all. We will continue to monitor those who have paid first deposits and will reevaluate on an ongoing basis.

Please do feel free to stay in touch with our office to keep us apprised of your continued interest. It is helpful to know who on our waitlist would still like to remain under consideration and who has made solid plans they do not have a desire to change. Do not hold back either piece of information when you feel it necessary to share.

Two matters to note:

1. It is most helpful to be in contact with our office to express either continued interest or a desire to withdraw from the waitlist via email (lawadmit@virginia.edu) rather than by phone. Materials we receive electronically are uploaded into your file for future reference.
2. This is not a period of the admissions season when additional letters of recommendation are helpful. To be blunt, they just don’t move the needle this late in the race.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process — it is much appreciated.

Cordel L. Faulk
Assistant Dean & Chief Admissions Officer/quote]
Wow that is quite the soul crushing email

zyxbhsf

New

Post by zyxbhsf » Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
Michigan has sent out waitlist update emails? I received nothing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”