The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

jessmeesh

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm

tncats wrote:Are y'all waiting to sign leases until you hear back from waitlists?

I'm holding off on housing as long as possible, but once I sign a lease, then its over for me. So if I haven't heard back from a waitlist yet, I'll withdraw.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm

tncats wrote:Are y'all waiting to sign leases until you hear back from waitlists?
This right here is the biggest waitlist-related headache of all. I'm waiting to see how the first couple weeks of May go and proceeding from there. How much does breaking a lease cost, I wonder...

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm

haley12 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:
haley12 wrote:NYU makes 10/14 for me! That 71% WL rate tho <3
Damn, I'm sorry. Are you going to wait it out or reapply next cycle?
It's ok! I've applied to teach abroad and been accepted to that program so I have a great option for this coming year, also WashU with $$$

I will wait it out and if no one bites, I'll go abroad and try again next year :)
Oh, that's great. It was smart to think of a backup plan unless this didn't work out. Hopefully you get off the waitlists for the schools at the top of your list.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 pm

We saw this one coming - syb catches the WL at NYU.
Hey every1!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Just got WL-ed at NYU, but that was expected. Right now, I am so over the hill for law school - I have even started a job search for next year. Don't like my current job much, and thought I would be going to law school, so I did not want to switch jobs. But, right now, with ten waitlists and no acceptances from the T13, I should have moved to some other position earlier in the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ILGentiluomo

New

Post by ILGentiluomo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:58 pm

Is it common for schools to say they're not anticipating any waitlist movement in April and to expect it after the June deposit or is that a troubling sign that the class is most likely filled?

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:40 am

ILGentiluomo wrote:Is it common for schools to say they're not anticipating any waitlist movement in April and to expect it after the June deposit or is that a troubling sign that the class is most likely filled?

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Just for the sake of completion, I'm reporting that I've now received my 12th and final WL this cycle from NYU. The complete collection consists of:

Chicago, Columbia, NYU, UPenn, UVA, Michigan, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown, UCLA, Vanderbilt

Literally no straight-up acceptances this cycle and yes, those are 3 T6 WLs alongside 3 non-T13 ones. What a funny cycle. I guess scholarships are completely out of the picture. :)

nickles96

New

Post by nickles96 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Nightwing wrote: Literally no straight-up acceptances this cycle and yes, those are 3 T6 WLs alongside 3 non-T13 ones. What a funny cycle. I guess scholarships are completely out of the picture. :)
You have not received a single acceptance from anywhere?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:25 pm

nickles96 wrote:
Nightwing wrote: Literally no straight-up acceptances this cycle and yes, those are 3 T6 WLs alongside 3 non-T13 ones. What a funny cycle. I guess scholarships are completely out of the picture. :)
You have not received a single acceptance from anywhere?
As an initial decision? No. WL ---> Acceptances? I have high hopes for the next couple weeks. The only conclusive initial decision I got was a rejection from Berkeley.

Hobbesy

Bronze

Post by Hobbesy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:35 pm

I signed my lease already.* Found a deal that fell in my lap in record time I just couldn't pass up. If Penn decides they actually do love me, I'm gonna talk to my landlord about subleasing.

*would not recommend. The only reason I signed is because I'm leaving the country for the summer beginning the end of May.

Edit: typo :roll:

mangomochi

New

Post by mangomochi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Now that NYU has finally decided to get back to me, officially reporting I'm riding WL for Columbia, NYU, Michigan, and GULC. Here's hoping that Spivey is right about this being a summer with heaps of waitlist activity!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Just received a decision from Northwestern, and it gives me 9 WLs in the T13 (to every single school I applied to). I am not even sure what is going on, especially for one of these schools is my undergrad. I guess there might be 1. some glaring mistake on my app, 2. applying on the deadline of every school in Feb, or a combination of the two. Hope I get some WL love, but then I am most likely paying sticker - something I am not happy about. Should I just withdraw from every school that's not a T6, and then reapply?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:55 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:Should I just withdraw from every school that's not a T6, and then reapply?
Looks like you should. First day apps would put you where you want to go

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:40 pm

fips tedora wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:Should I just withdraw from every school that's not a T6, and then reapply?
Wondering about this too. Super splitter with December apps... and 10 WLs.

FEDRESRV

New

Post by FEDRESRV » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:35 pm

I received my final "initial" decision from NYU yesterday. Final tally is 13 WL/Holds. 9 of the T-13 + Texas, G-Town, Vandy and WUSTL. I will likely withdraw from two of the thirteen and ride out the rest. I have a feeling we are going to see some major movement in this thread over the next month.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Wow, i think you even have nightwing beat!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:08 pm

mangomochi wrote:Now that NYU has finally decided to get back to me, officially reporting I'm riding WL for Columbia, NYU, Michigan, and GULC. Here's hoping that Spivey is right about this being a summer with heaps of waitlist activity!
I grow even more confident. Also, each admitted applicant can only go to one school this cycle, or so I have been lead to believe :) Just wait for the waves.

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:33 pm

When adcoms evaluate waitlisted applicants do they review our entire application (PS,why x, LORs, etc) or do they only look at our numbers and LOCIs?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:40 pm

StopLawying wrote:When adcoms evaluate waitlisted applicants do they review our entire application (PS,why x, LORs, etc) or do they only look at our numbers and LOCIs?
This is a good question; my guess is that most of the time it depends on the school's need (more URMs, higher GPAs, better LSATs, etc).

But I find the LSN data I compiled in the NYU waitlist thread interesting; the five or six people accepted off of its WL in the first wave of a waitlist cycle don't have much in common numbers wise; scores range from 160-173 and none are URM.

In other words I think at least sometimes they re read the app for a cursory review but focus on numbers and LOCIs to make the final call.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
mangomochi wrote:Now that NYU has finally decided to get back to me, officially reporting I'm riding WL for Columbia, NYU, Michigan, and GULC. Here's hoping that Spivey is right about this being a summer with heaps of waitlist activity!
I grow even more confident. Also, each admitted applicant can only go to one school this cycle, or so I have been lead to believe :) Just wait for the waves.
Best news I've heard all day!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:43 pm

FEDRESRV wrote:I received my final "initial" decision from NYU yesterday. Final tally is 13 WL/Holds. 9 of the T-13 + Texas, G-Town, Vandy and WUSTL. I will likely withdraw from two of the thirteen and ride out the rest. I have a feeling we are going to see some major movement in this thread over the next month.
Oh my. I thought Nightwing and I had the worst, but I guess you beat both of us in this regard. Are you also a splitter?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:49 pm

haley12 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
Wondering about this too. Super splitter with December apps... and 10 WLs.
I guess it comes down to whether you are willing to pay sticker at the relevant schools. However, I am a little scared that if I don't ride out the waitlists, it would reflect horribly on me when I re-apply next cycle. What am I going to tell the school when I write my Why X? "Hello! I wanted to attend, but not enough to wait till the summer."

On the other hand, if I ride out the waitlists and will ultimately be "rejected," you can just write "I withdrew from last cycle, because I was so set on attending X." And there is always the slight chance that I can get into NYU if they make another filing error. lol

chichi1992

Bronze

Post by chichi1992 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 am

Does anyone have any sense (even if it's anecdotal bullshit) about the % of waitlisted applicants that actually write LOCIs/visit/demonstrate genuine enthusiasm? I feel like in the TLS bubble, it's obvious to everyone that these are more or less necessary steps, but maybe it's not as ubiquitous as it seems.

I'm mostly just curious about the schools that seem to admit a LOT of students off the waitlist (looking at you, NYU). They might admit 30-45% of applicants who remain on the waitlist, but what if a solid 50% of all applicants who remain on the waitlist do nothing else other than say "yes, I still want to be considered"?

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 am

chichi1992 wrote:Does anyone have any sense (even if it's anecdotal bullshit) about the % of waitlisted applicants that actually write LOCIs/visit/demonstrate genuine enthusiasm? I feel like in the TLS bubble, it's obvious to everyone that these are more or less necessary steps, but maybe it's not as ubiquitous as it seems.

I'm mostly just curious about the schools that seem to admit a LOT of students off the waitlist (looking at you, NYU). They might admit 30-45% of applicants who remain on the waitlist, but what if a solid 50% of all applicants who remain on the waitlist do nothing else other than say "yes, I still want to be considered"?
I was wondering the same thing... Plus, does anybody know if alumni emails endorsing one's application might be effective? I've heard stories of people getting pulled off the WL after some pretty influential alums sent emails (not LORs though, just regular emails) stating how wonderful said applicant is. Can anybody confirm?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”