The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

BarMan

New

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Post by BarMan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Add about 5,000 USC apps to this thread

:roll:

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:21 pm

BarMan wrote:Add about 5,000 USC apps to this thread

:roll:
+1, USC makes WL #5 for me~

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 pm

tparty

Bronze

Post by tparty » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm

I've reached that incredibly depressing time when all my friends have been sharing their excitement after getting accepted into school (law, grad, PA) whilst I am waitlisted at 2 of the 3 I applied to and haven't heard back from one ... which I expect to be waitlisted or rejected from :) :) :) :) oh the uncertainty!

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Maybe schools are wait-listing a lot more this year in order to play the ol' numbers game, they can eventually admit more people that will confirm without hurting their matriculation:acceptance ration. I feel like this is something that LSAC has already guarded against however.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:29 pm

wait, I'm confused in re the above - waitlisted applicants who are ultimately accepted don't count toward a school's admit to matriculant (or yield) ratio?

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:46 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:wait, I'm confused in re the above - waitlisted applicants who are ultimately accepted don't count toward a school's admit to matriculant (or yield) ratio?
most schools will only accept people who are on the wait list who they are pretty sure will commit to them, as a result, they might only need to make 2 offers to fill a seat as opposed to the usual 7 or 8 during the earlier part of the cycle. Hence, they admit fewer people.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:48 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:wait, I'm confused in re the above - waitlisted applicants who are ultimately accepted don't count toward a school's admit to matriculant (or yield) ratio?
most schools will only accept people who are on the wait list who they are pretty sure will commit to them, as a result, they might only need to make 2 offers to fill a seat as opposed to the usual 7 or 8 during the earlier part of the cycle. Hence, they admit fewer people.
right - what I'm asking is, for example, when x law school publishes a 20% yield rate, does that rate include applicants admitted off of the waitlist who then matriculated, too? or does that number only include applicants admitted in the regular cycle?

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
right - what I'm asking is, for example, when x law school publishes a 20% yield rate, does that rate include applicants admitted off of the waitlist who then matriculated, too? or does that number only include applicants admitted in the regular cycle?
i would think it includes ones who were matriculated off the watilist as well, but not 100 percent sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:56 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
Acceptances count the same whether made through ED, RD, or WL. Schools only report the total numbers of applicants, offers, and matriculants to ABA.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:32 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:

My thought was, send out 100 acceptances and 50 commit, thats a 50% yield and looks bad.

Send out 75 acceptances, 25 waitlists, and 50 commit, then your yield 66% and will stay there as long as youre positive people coming of the waitlist will matriculate.

Of course I'm sure their algorithms and historical cycles have this all figured out, just speculating.

bosstweedfan

New

Post by bosstweedfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 am

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I actually can't find a consensus on this -

When is the best time to send a LOCI?

I got waitlisted at two schools last month and didn't send in a LOCI yet. I figured they won't look at them until at least April anyway. Should I send them in now? I don't have anything in particular to update them about like promotions etc. it would just be a generic — "hey I still love you, forget me not sort" of letter.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 am

So I'm waitlisted at a T20 that's close to my southern home (guess) and I don't particularly expect to be accepted off the waitlist, though I would welcome it with open arms. This being said, I would have to pay my nonrefundable seat deposit at my highest acceptance by April 15. Should I withdraw from the WL at the other school once I pay my deposit? Or should I wait it out and consider the $500 nonrefundable deposit a "drop in the bucket" in terms of what are hopefully my future earnings? Advice is welcome for this cash-strapped young man (K-JD).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 am

jstans wrote:So I'm waitlisted at a T20 that's close to my southern home (guess) and I don't particularly expect to be accepted off the waitlist, though I would welcome it with open arms. This being said, I would have to pay my nonrefundable seat deposit at my highest acceptance by April 15. Should I withdraw from the WL at the other school once I pay my deposit? Or should I wait it out and consider the $500 nonrefundable deposit a "drop in the bucket" in terms of what are hopefully my future earnings? Advice is welcome for this cash-strapped young man (K-JD).
It depends on how badly you want to go, especially at (likely) sticker price. There's no harm in waiting it out to see if you get in and/or if you get a scholarship offer, and if you get a call you'll probably have a day or two to make a final decision. Personally I think $500 is a drop in the bucket compared to how much law school costs, but as a similarly cash-strapped young professional I fully understand that having to part with $500 up front in order to go to a school that might not offer you any $$ majorly sucks.

tparty

Bronze

Post by tparty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Lol you will now be able to apply to Harvard with a GRE instead of an LSAT

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... 3b1d4e2a2f

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Does anyone feel that withdrawing from other waitlists and then informing your top choice that you've done so would help your chances?

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:57 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Does anyone feel that withdrawing from other waitlists and then informing your top choice that you've done so would help your chances?
yes this is a strategy others have used in the past. I'd do it a month after an LOCI personally.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Does anyone feel that withdrawing from other waitlists and then informing your top choice that you've done so would help your chances?
Maybe, but I don't think its necessary, especially if there are other schools you're waitlisted at that you'd actually attend. If you're looking to emphasize your interest in the school, you can add the phrase "If accepted, I will attend" to your LOCI (assuming that is true, of course).

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:00 pm

shotgunheist wrote:
yes this is a strategy others have used in the past. I'd do it a month after an LOCI personally.

Thanks for always being so helpful, shotgun. So here's my thing, I can just be honest - NYU is my number 1 and my not having yet heard is an indication to me that I'll be waitlisted. Should I wait for them to waitlist me before actually telling them that I've withdrawn from other waitlists?

On a related note would willingness to turn down a full ride At another T14 do anything to convince them?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:01 pm

floatie wrote:
Maybe, but I don't think its necessary, especially if there are other schools you're waitlisted at that you'd actually attend. If you're looking to emphasize your interest in the school, you can add the phrase "If accepted, I will attend" to your LOCI (assuming that is true, of course).
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Yes, it is absolutely the case that I'd attend if accepted. Just doing what I can to assure them but perhaps withdrawing elsewhere is a step overboard. Frankly I withdrew from UChi yesterday as it is not going to be an option for me realistically. But CLS and Penn, I've decided to wait it out. Still... the waitlist statistics for those two compared to NYU's really worry me, so I don't think I have a shot at those places anyway

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:02 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
Thanks for always being so helpful, shotgun. So here's my thing, I can just be honest - NYU is my number 1 and my not having yet heard is an indication to me that I'll be waitlisted. Should I wait for them to waitlist me before actually telling them that I've withdrawn from other waitlists?

On a related note would willingness to turn down a full ride At another T14 do anything to convince them?
It's a slower cycle this year, so I wouldn't do anything until you've actually heard back from NYU. No news is good news.
If you have a full ride at a T14 and you're accepted, you should hang on to that for negotiating purposes. Also...would you really turn down a full ride at another T14 to go to NYU, possibly at sticker price?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:03 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
floatie wrote:
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Yes, it is absolutely the case that I'd attend if accepted. Just doing what I can to assure them but perhaps withdrawing elsewhere is a step overboard. Frankly I withdrew from UChi yesterday as it is not going to be an option for me realistically. But CLS and Penn, I've decided to wait it out. Still... the waitlist statistics for those two compared to NYU's really worry me, so I don't think I have a shot at those places anyway
Ultimately its your decision but other schools won't know where you got waitlisted, so there's no harm in staying on them, just in case.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:

I don't think it's a great decision to talk to them with this info before they give you their initial decision, it's like showing your hand. Did you write a why NYU? I'm assuming yes, but that would be the only thing I would submit pre-decision.

I'd only do it if you're scared there's a reasonable chance you'd get straight denied. Because if you do you lose all leverage for any money they may possibly push your way, and of course losing out on the withdrawn waitlist schools in case you need them for some reason. If not, save if for waitlist updates to keep you on their mind and continue showing interest.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Not going to quote your posts as they're long but shotgun+Floatie: thank you for being my in-house financial and waitlist consultants. I really appreciate it. I have lots to think about now but at least I have a sense of what to do as far as strategy in the next few weeks.

NYU does have a "Why X" from me and a LOCI which I sent recently. Can't do much more other than wait impatiently.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:23 pm

While we are discussing some oddball waitlist strategies, I'm thinking about sending a quick handwritten note to the vice admissions dean of a waitlist I want to get off of about a month after my email LOCI. Just says thanks for giving me the chance, looking at my app, I would definitely come in the fall, etc.

Not make or break if I get in but what do yall think? Too lame?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”