The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Post by thatblondegirl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Checking in. Priority reserve at Duke and WL at Penn. Why are law schools so scared of defining their relationship with me? This maybe game is driving me bonkers.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:32 pm

bapatel wrote:Waitlisted at Columbia, shocked because I think it's a reach. 5+ years work experience in community organizing/political consulting, 164 LSAT. Should I not get my hopes up?
Thoughts on the LOCI, besides updates to my job description, what else are you supposed to write about? Obviously you're showing continued interest but.. what else? Thoughts on length also appreciated!
T-14 waitlists are hard but not impossible to get off of. I don't know what Columbia's waitlist rules are so if any of the following aren't allowed, then ignore:
1) Visit the campus and ask to speak to someone in admissions
2) Send in another LOR
3) Retake the LSAT in June (its a long shot but people have come off waitlists with a significantly improved score in July)
4) Emphasize that you will attend if accepted. Especially as you get into the summer, admissions people don't want to make 15 phone calls to fill one seat - they want to call someone who they more or less know for sure is going to attend. Don't do this though, if you wouldn't necessarily attend if accepted

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Waitlisted @ Georgetown, Cornell, Penn, Columbia, Northwestern and Duke!

Is this a joke or what?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 pm

TudoBem wrote:Waitlisted @ Georgetown, Cornell, Penn, Columbia, Northwestern and Duke!

Is this a joke or what?
I was waitlisted @ Cornell, Duke, Penn, Berkeley, and Chicago, so I can sympathize. T-14s really love to waitlist.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:09 am

.i
Last edited by somedeadman on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:15 am

This page of qualified people with T14 waitlist horror stories... nightmare fuel. :|

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:25 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Hey guys,

Not sure if this already exists, but thought it would be cool for those stuck on waitlists to band together here in solidarity. Feel free to share where you've been waitlisted, any updates (hope), and advice for fellow waitlisters! Good luck to everyone!

I'll start here:

Georgetown - I'm in shock.
UCLA - Blah. I'll blame the 12 point font PS and having to flip a coin to pick which of the 2 work LOR to submit :D
did you get a ucla fee waiver?

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 am

somedeadman wrote:With a 3.7 and a 169, and an October application, I have been waitlisted at nearly every t14 school (excluding hys). Got into northwestern and Georgetown which I'm happy about. Shocked I made the waitlist at Chicago and Columbia, saddened that I didn't make the cut for Cornell and Duke (still waiting on Michigan). What a weird cycle
Sorry to hear this. For my own sanity, I have to ask... did you apply to UVA? UVA and Michigan are looking more and more like the two merciful picks of the T14 this cycle. :P

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:34 am

Last edited by somedeadman on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:36 am

somedeadman wrote:With a 3.7 and a 169, and an October application, I have been waitlisted at nearly every t14 school (excluding hys). Got into northwestern and Georgetown which I'm happy about. Shocked I made the waitlist at Chicago and Columbia, saddened that I didn't make the cut for Cornell and Duke (still waiting on Michigan). What a weird cycle
Man you have good stats. I'm praying that you get off the waitlist.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:40 am

somedeadman wrote:
Michigan is the last t14 school I'm waiting on, and I have not received any communication from them. I'm not taking that as a good sign.

Uva waitlisted me in November. So did Duke.
:|

Best of luck at Michigan. I'm sure you can easily get off the waitlists at a couple other places too. Northwestern's great, regardless.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:47 am

Last edited by somedeadman on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 am

Last edited by somedeadman on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Just got my 5th waitlist... in a row. :) Love being a splitter. To be fair it's Columbia so I'm not that mad.

A Poor Pianist

New

Post by A Poor Pianist » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Probably a dumb question, but when you get additional letter of recommendation after being wait listed, the person recommending you should send it directly to the school rather than going through LSAC this time, right?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 pm

A Poor Pianist wrote:Probably a dumb question, but when you get additional letter of recommendation after being wait listed, the person recommending you should send it directly to the school rather than going through LSAC this time, right?
Not all schools will accept letters sent directly to them. I called LSAC about this situation a couple weeks ago and they said that if you send it to LSAC and assign it to a school where you've already sent a CAS report, they'll automatically send the letter.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Checking in w/ that Northwestern WL (From earlier this week)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A Poor Pianist

New

Post by A Poor Pianist » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:37 pm

floatie wrote:
Not all schools will accept letters sent directly to them. I called LSAC about this situation a couple weeks ago and they said that if you send it to LSAC and assign it to a school where you've already sent a CAS report, they'll automatically send the letter.
So have then send it to LSAC, and mention in my LOCI to the school (can this be snail mailed?) about an additional LOR coming their way?

Sorry for all the questions. First cycle and kind of new to the boards.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:52 pm

A Poor Pianist wrote:
floatie wrote:
So have then send it to LSAC, and mention in my LOCI to the school (can this be snail mailed?) about an additional LOR coming their way?

Sorry for all the questions. First cycle and kind of new to the boards.
You can mention that you're sending an additional LOR in your LOCI, and the LOCI can be emailed (at least I did)

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Does visiting help when you are waitlisted? Maybe only if you speak to admissions while there?

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:38 pm

haley12 wrote:Does visiting help when you are waitlisted? Maybe only if you speak to admissions while there?
I would check with the school. I can't remember which school this was but last year I asked and they said visits are fine, but the admissions staff is too busy and wouldn't have time to meet. I was waitlisted by Columbia, Chicago, & Penn last year so it was one of them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

haley12 wrote:Does visiting help when you are waitlisted? Maybe only if you speak to admissions while there?
It definitely speaks to your interest in the school, especially if you're able to talk to someone in admissions. I've only been WLed at UVA so far, but when I visited I was able to get some feedback on my application and how I can strengthen it between now and April

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:48 pm

bunney_j wrote:
I would check with the school. I can't remember which school this was but last year I asked and they said visits are fine, but the admissions staff is too busy and wouldn't have time to meet. I was waitlisted by Columbia, Chicago, & Penn last year so it was one of them.
how'd the wait go for you, bunney? any tips/did you get any offers

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:17 pm

mm2368 wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
how'd the wait go for you, bunney? any tips/did you get any offers
I withdrew from all but Columbia. I had got into some lower t14s, Vandy, etc., but most were closer to sticker so I decided to retake the LSAT and reapply. Columbia put me on reserve through August though.

My tips would be the same as what most other people have said - send in LOCI, make clear you'll attend if you are accepted, updated with any major events: jobs, grades, etc., and retake the LSAT in june if you can. My friend was on Duke's waitlist, retook in June and got in with a scholly. Be persistent and realistic, but don't give up hope

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 pm

bunney_j wrote:
I think it was Columbia haha when I requested to speak with an admissions staff, the receptionist was like "they're unavailable, but I can hopefully answer all of your questions."

Lady. That's. Not. Why. I'm. Here,

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”