The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Hey guys,

Not sure if this already exists, but thought it would be cool for those stuck on waitlists to band together here in solidarity. Feel free to share where you've been waitlisted, any updates (hope), and advice for fellow waitlisters! Good luck to everyone!

PREVIOUS POLLS:

Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Thelaw23

Silver

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Can somebody help me with LOCI's and when to send them? Should I send them ASAP or wait until like February to send them.

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Can somebody help me with LOCI's and when to send them? Should I send them ASAP or wait until like February to send them.

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL
Why wouldn't you send them ASAP??

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Can somebody help me with LOCI's and when to send them? Should I send them ASAP or wait until like February to send them.

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL
I read some post where it says that updating them with LOCI's and stuff kind of puts you on top of the "stack" of applications and keeps you fresh on their minds. Since they are far from starting to pull people from their waitlists now, I thought it would be better to send them LOCI's when they actually start the process after January/February.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL
I read some post where it says that updating them with LOCI's and stuff kind of puts you on top of the "stack" of applications and keeps you fresh on their minds. Since they are far from starting to pull people from their waitlists now, I thought it would be better to send them LOCI's when they actually start the process after January/February.
Hmmm interesting. I might have to disagree.

I read that getting WL this early on in the cycle isn't necessarily a death sentence. You never actually know when they might start looking through the pile (especially during a down-year when scores are lower than previous years). It wouldn't hurt to submit one ASAP and provide an updated LOCI later on in the cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL
I agree with this train of thought and would wait for any formal LOCIs. In most circumstances you aren't getting off a waitlist in January.

cjar819

New

Post by cjar819 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Georgetown - Waitlisted
George Washington - Waitlisted
Alabama - Waitlisted
Iowa - Waitlisted
Last edited by cjar819 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Recently withdrew from Duke WL. Didn't get priority reserve.

lawlzschool

Bronze

Post by lawlzschool » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL
Yea UCLA in their FAQs has something along the lines of "seat deposits are in april, send a loci after that cause thats when we'll actually look at your shit again" [sic] But I'm not sure whether I should believe them or demonstrate my genuinely pretty strong interest to go there sooner

And yes, I'm on UCLA's waitlist wooooo[effin]hooooo

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:42 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL
Yea UCLA in their FAQs has something along the lines of "seat deposits are in april, send a loci after that cause thats when we'll actually look at your shit again" [sic] But I'm not sure whether I should believe them or demonstrate my genuinely pretty strong interest to go there sooner

Uh so I submitted that "i want to remain on your waitlist" form on monday and didn't get a confirmation email back. I looked at the form again last night and saw that you were only supposed to fill in the address stuff if that information has changed...it autofilled and I was too dazed from the WL and completely overlooked that.......im screwed. LOL

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Cornell WL here. gonna send an email back later letting them know I'd like to stay on it.

lawlzschool

Bronze

Post by lawlzschool » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL

Uh so I submitted that "i want to remain on your waitlist" form on monday and didn't get a confirmation email back. I looked at the form again last night and saw that you were only supposed to fill in the address stuff if that information has changed...it autofilled and I was too dazed from the WL and completely overlooked that.......im screwed. LOL
I super doubt you're screwed. I'd be slightly surprised if the majority of people didn't do that and also I mean... what's the actual scale of the harm that could be done? An adcomm spends 10 secs typing in your name then realizes the address is the same and moves on, perhaps they curse you ever so slightly under their breath but damn if you get blacklisted for that then they're really hard line sticklers.

jdanz

Bronze

Post by jdanz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:51 pm

cornell WL and UCLA WL here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:54 pm

waitlisted at 10 schools last cycle so I hope the waitlist gods spare me this time around!

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:54 pm

UVA WL, expecting a Mich WL, maybe a NU WL

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:55 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL

I super doubt you're screwed. I'd be slightly surprised if the majority of people didn't do that and also I mean... what's the actual scale of the harm that could be done? An adcomm spends 10 secs typing in your name then realizes the address is the same and moves on, perhaps they curse you ever so slightly under their breath but damn if you get blacklisted for that then they're really hard line sticklers.
Haha thanks that makes me feel better! Although...they could be those sticklers...after all...the 12 point PS font and 2 LOR limit

m052310

New

Post by m052310 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:59 pm

UVA here. Ehh well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:03 pm

m052310 wrote:UVA here. Ehh well.
+1 (after a profoundly bad interview)

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 pm

I started a thread like this last year and it was really helpful. Glad to see someone did one this year! I had the head of the adcomm at the school I was trying to get into tell me that a LOCI is best sent about once a month to let them know you are still interested. I tried in mine to provide meaningful updates to what I was doing and things that would make my application seem more appealing.

Best of luck to everyone! Waitlists can be disheartening, but if it's your top choice just remember a waitlist is not a rejection. Keep the faith!

lawlzschool

Bronze

Post by lawlzschool » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Duke WL
Cornell WL
UVA WL

Haha thanks that makes me feel better! Although...they could be those sticklers...after all...the 12 point PS font and 2 LOR limit
that's... a fair point. ughghghughguhgghugh still kicking myself for not writing a programmatic contribution or why ucla but w/e ***everything happens for a reason***

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:33 pm

theothercat wrote:
How so? I've never understood how these can go super well or super poor.. They're just so... formulaic, I guess would be the word

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mathis1490

Bronze

Post by mathis1490 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Last cycle was waitlisted at:

UChicago
Columbia
NYU
Penn
UVA
UMichigan
Duke
Northwestern
Georgetown

Hustled, sent numerous LOCIs and updates, visited each campus at least once. Admitted to Columbia, Penn, and UVA. There is hope, if you hustle!

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 pm

That gives me hope Mathis.

WL @ Penn and Cornell. I will take your advise.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:12 am

vcap180 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
How so? I've never understood how these can go super well or super poor.. They're just so... formulaic, I guess would be the word
The interviewer's first question was "What was the worst day of your life?" I wasn't quite prepared to get that personal, so I fumbled the question around for far too long, and the rest of the interview was really awkward.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 am

theothercat wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
The interviewer's first question was "What was the worst day of your life?" I wasn't quite prepared to get that personal, so I fumbled the question around for far too long, and the rest of the interview was really awkward.
Well, that's a strange question. what can they even gleam from that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”