The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

jessmeesh

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Post by jessmeesh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:is anyone doing extensive follow-up beyond the typical LOCI with their school of choice, post-WL? I've already sent LOCI(s) to one school, for example, and my last contact with admissions was in early March. Should I be reaching out again anytime soon or perhaps after May 1, their deposit deadline?
I'm going to aim for a LOCI once per month. I'm setting up things to do for the purpose of writing the LOCIs (like volunteering and new/extra job duties) so I have new material each time.

I sent Why Xs at the end of March. I'm counting that as my first LOCI ish thing and I'll likely send a more traditional LOCI right after 5/1 when seat deposit deadlines hit and then as long as necessary into the summer.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:16 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:is anyone doing extensive follow-up beyond the typical LOCI with their school of choice, post-WL? I've already sent LOCI(s) to one school, for example, and my last contact with admissions was in early March. Should I be reaching out again anytime soon or perhaps after May 1, their deposit deadline?
I'm going to aim for a LOCI once per month. I'm setting up things to do for the purpose of writing the LOCIs (like volunteering and new/extra job duties) so I have new material each time.

I sent Why Xs at the end of March. I'm counting that as my first LOCI ish thing and I'll likely send a more traditional LOCI right after 5/1 when seat deposit deadlines hit and then as long as necessary into the summer.
Gotcha. Makes sense. Yeah, I think after a letter or two you run out of things to say so starting with a Why X (which coincidentally is what I did) seems smart.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:24 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

Gotcha. Makes sense. Yeah, I think after a letter or two you run out of things to say so starting with a Why X (which coincidentally is what I did) seems smart.
Yeah, I've given a heck of a lot of thought about how not to run out of things to say. Hence starting up with new shit now so in a month or two I have meaningful things to say without BSing. Gotta play the long game lol

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Checking in... Just WLed at NU's 2YJD for Intl Lawyers. This is all very new to me, and NU is my top choice. I freaking drink my coffee in NU's mug every single day for good luck (seriously). I don't wanna sound crazy telling them that, but I want to make sure they know they are my top choice, and if accepted, I would certainly attend. I'm kinda of lost on how I should approach this whole WL thing. Any tips? I'm planning on flying all the way from my country (not the 12-hour-flight vacation I was expecting, but if it helps, then I'm willing to do it) and spending a week in Chicago. Has anybody visited NU? I welcome any help from you smart-experienced internet-ers.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 pm

God, I need a decision...My complete status date has not even changed yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 pm

y'all I'm not gonna front like I don't proofread my new LOCIs and halfway through be like, "did these bitches really waitlist ME? I'm an icon, a legend, and this bullshit I am serving them is #gold. how dare they!?

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 pm

do y'all just put your LOCIs in the body of the email, or do you print it, sign it, and scan it in as a pdf? mid-April, and I am super neurotic

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 pm

tncats wrote:do y'all just put your LOCIs in the body of the email, or do you print it, sign it, and scan it in as a pdf? mid-April, and I am super neurotic

100% print, sign, and send.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 am

I haven't even been signing, I just PDF it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 am

Keilz wrote:I haven't even been signing, I just PDF it

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 am

haven't hand-signed a single LOCI. don't think that part is necessary.

nickles96

New

Post by nickles96 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:haven't hand-signed a single LOCI. don't think that part is necessary.
Second.
And I'm quite done with that blasted exercise.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:26 am

Instrumental wrote:
My rationale behind hand signing is that there's no way it can be missed, and someone has to physically open the mail and put it in your file.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 am

i've been putting it in the body of the email....

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:41 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
My rationale behind hand signing is that there's no way it can be missed, and someone has to physically open the mail and put it in your file.

Yeah. Same for me. I plan to send them via snail mail and email. I even bought nice paper. Any correspondence coming out of the firm I work at is hand signed on letterhead and also emailed, so I figure that's a good way to do it for law schools as well. They have to look at the letter twice and someone has to physically find my file to put it in. At the very least being too formal is safer than too informal.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am

opinion alert:

I don't see anything wrong with printing and signing, and agree the formal nature of it could occasion a closer look at the content of the letter.

But if we're brutally honest with ourselves, we should really be asking - signature or no signature, email body or PDF attachment - are they really reading the LOCIs, or is it just a formality designed to test who will wait and who isn't serious about waiting?

I guess this might be a personal insecurity, but I worry that nothing I've said in a LOCI matters. Where I'm ranked on LSX's so-called un-ranked waitlist and whether a demographically similar applicant declines to deposit at x school is probably all that matters. Unless you land a Rhodes or even a Fulbright, and that would make you an applicant planning to defer, which means zero need for law school x to take you off of its WL.

tl;dr - that really pisses me off because I essentially bestow Elle Woods level care upon each LOCI, and I just fear that they see the document, throw it in an ugly manila file folder, and call it a day.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:06 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote: Where I'm ranked on LSX's so-called un-ranked waitlist and whether a demographically similar applicant declines to deposit at x school is probably all that matters.

I think you're absolutely right about this. After deposit deadlines roll around I imagine they look at the pool of who is deposited and then decide they need to send admits to a few people with high GPAs, or high LSATs, or a few URMs, or whatever demographic hole they need to fill.

What I hope, is that when the time comes around and they're looking for someone that looks like me, but there's 10 people on the waitlist that look like me, I get the admit because I put in just a little more effort than any of my twins and therefore seem more committed and likely to attend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:13 am

jessmeesh wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote: Where I'm ranked on LSX's so-called un-ranked waitlist and whether a demographically similar applicant declines to deposit at x school is probably all that matters.

I think you're absolutely right about this. After deposit deadlines roll around I imagine they look at the pool of who is deposited and then decide they need to send admits to a few people with high GPAs, or high LSATs, or a few URMs, or whatever demographic hole they need to fill.

What I hope, is that when the time comes around and they're looking for someone that looks like me, but there's 10 people on the waitlist that look like me, I get the admit because I put in just a little more effort than any of my twins and therefore seem more committed and likely to attend.
It sounds like we're building a solid approach to creating a waitlist miracle for ourselves here!

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:17 am

Hey, what is the protocol to visit schools you've been put on waitlist? Should I contact anyone from Adm Office and let them know I'm coming? And if so, how do I approach them (just a simple email is sufficient)? Thanks

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:22 am

intlbr wrote:Hey, what is the protocol to visit schools you've been put on waitlist? Should I contact anyone from Adm Office and let them know I'm coming? And if so, how do I approach them (just a simple email is sufficient)? Thanks

I would poke around the website. See if they have a way to sign up for visitations and activities. If not, then call or email and ask for a tour and/or to sit in on a class. You definitely want Admissions to know you've been there.

tparty

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]o

Post by tparty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:13 pm

tncats wrote:do y'all just put your LOCIs in the body of the email, or do you print it, sign it, and scan it in as a pdf? mid-April, and I am super neurotic
I've just been attaching it as a word document with a short e-mail letting the committee know that I would like it added to my application. Don't think you need to be signing and PDF'ing tbh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 pm

tparty wrote:
I've just been attaching it as a word document with a short e-mail letting the committee know that I would like it added to my application. Don't think you need to be signing and PDF'ing tbh.

Word docs sketch me out. I would never send anything as a word doc unless it was a draft because they can accidentally be edited so easily. Just imagine someone downloads the file, opens it, goes to hit print, but misclicks and changes something. Plus, if someone has a different version of word than you, the conversion can mess up your formatting. PDF is much safer and more professional.

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
tparty wrote:

Word docs sketch me out. I would never send anything as a word doc unless it was a draft because they can accidentally be edited so easily. Just imagine someone downloads the file, opens it, goes to hit print, but misclicks and changes something. Plus, if someone has a different version of word than you, the conversion can mess up your formatting. PDF is much safer and more professional.
I agree with this. Attachments should be converted to PDFs IMO.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 pm

tncats wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
tparty wrote:

Yeah Word doc attachments are bad practice. Plus they're much more of a PITA to open than PDFs.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
tncats wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
tparty wrote:

Yeah Word doc attachments are bad practice. Plus they're much more of a PITA to open than PDFs.
Also because Word docs can be embedded with viruses, PDFs are standard practice for business correspondence.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”