The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

Instrumental

Silver

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Post by Instrumental » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 pm

StopLawying wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Nightwing wrote:I'm now up to 11, Columbia reserve today. So:

Columbia, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, Penn, Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, Georgetown, UCLA, and Vanderbilt

No acceptances. I truly don't understand what I messed up so badly that I couldn't get one of these to bite. :|
Sorry to hear. Have you had anyone here look over your PS/essays/resume as has been suggested...?
If something was really off with his app, wouldn't they just ding him? I really believe it's bad luck/late application.
I keep saying it: there's a huge disadvantage in applying late, and IMO people don't underscore this enough.
Late apps can definitely be a huge detriment, but I think Nightwing applied around the same time I and a lot of others who have gotten acceptances to some of those schools did (early Jan.) so I don't think late application is the main issue. I can't help but think there is some glaring issue on the softs that makes them somewhat reluctant because his numbers are good. Could be bad luck, but there has to be a reason for it. It's almost as if he is in some sort of limbo where maybe the lower ranked schools think his stats are too good and the higher ranked ones are thinking they aren't quite up to snuff and there is no inbetween. idk.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Instrumental wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Columbia, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, Penn, Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, Georgetown, UCLA, and Vanderbilt

No acceptances. I truly don't understand what I messed up so badly that I couldn't get one of these to bite. :|
Sorry to hear. Have you had anyone here look over your PS/essays/resume as has been suggested...?
If something was really off with his app, wouldn't they just ding him? I really believe it's bad luck/late application.
I keep saying it: there's a huge disadvantage in applying late, and IMO people don't underscore this enough.
Late apps can definitely be a huge detriment, but I think Nightwing applied around the same time I and a lot of others who have gotten acceptances to some of those schools did (early Jan.) so I don't think late application is the main issue. I can't help but think there is some glaring issue on the softs that makes them somewhat reluctant because his numbers are good. Could be bad luck, but there has to be a reason for it. It's almost as if he is in some sort of limbo where maybe the lower ranked schools think his stats are too good and the higher ranked ones are thinking they aren't quite up to snuff and there is no inbetween. idk.
Or they're just like, you know, withholding information from us about the real reasons. Or flat out lying. This is the internet.

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Going for the long con eh. True, that is always a possibility. In which case, good show.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 am

Leliana wrote:

No, I've only had people in person look them over before. There were some criticisms, but generally the feedback was positive. I'm not under any illusion of my materials being amazing and my softs probably aren't doing me any favors, but I'm not aware of anything in particular being bad enough to get an app with my LSAT score consistently being thrown in the recycling bin. UChicago and Columbia waitlisting me alongside Georgetown, UCLA, and Vanderbilt is just plain weird, right? Georgetown and Columbia (and all of the other schools that do face-to-face interviews) didn't offer me interviews or anything either. If they were concerned about something in my materials, why don't they just ask or test me or something? :(

fips tedora wrote: Or they're just like, you know, withholding information from us about the real reasons. Or flat out lying. This is the internet.
I only withhold exact info so as to keep my identity as much of a secret as possible. I'm not the strongest applicant out there and I'm sure I have my weak points, but I've already shared as much. I'm a splitter, but not ridiculously so. My softs aren't special, but my numbers have good acceptance rates on MyLSN for much of the T13 (including NYU and Columbia). Like Instrumental said, I applied right after December LSAT scores released. What purpose would making up some elaborate, months-long hoax of under-performance on a law school acceptances board serve?

BabyDoc2JD

New

Post by BabyDoc2JD » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:23 am

Nightwing wrote:
Leliana wrote:

No, I've only had people in person look them over before. There were some criticisms, but generally the feedback was positive. I'm not under any illusion of my materials being amazing and my softs probably aren't doing me any favors, but I'm not aware of anything in particular being bad enough to get an app with my LSAT score consistently being thrown in the recycling bin. UChicago and Columbia waitlisting me alongside Georgetown, UCLA, and Vanderbilt is just plain weird, right? Georgetown and Columbia (and all of the other schools that do face-to-face interviews) didn't offer me interviews or anything either. If they were concerned about something in my materials, why don't they just ask or test me or something? :(

fips tedora wrote: Or they're just like, you know, withholding information from us about the real reasons. Or flat out lying. This is the internet.
I only withhold exact info so as to keep my identity as much of a secret as possible. I'm not the strongest applicant out there and I'm sure I have my weak points, but I've already shared as much. I'm a splitter, but not ridiculously so. My softs aren't special, but my numbers have good acceptance rates on MyLSN for much of the T13 (including NYU and Columbia). Like Instrumental said, I applied right after December LSAT scores released. What purpose would making up some elaborate, months-long hoax of under-performance on a law school acceptances board serve?

I worked with an admissions consultant. My first personal statement went completely in the bin, and my second went through 13 revisions before it was considered ready for applications. In my experience my friends many of whom are experienced attorneys were not able to give useful feedback about what adcoms are looking for on these important documents. If you can afford it, and you don't have a positive result on the waitlist cycle I would recommend that type of service. There are many around I can direct you to the one I used.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:18 am

BabyDoc2JD wrote: I worked with an admissions consultant. My first personal statement went completely in the bin, and my second went through 13 revisions before it was considered ready for applications. In my experience my friends many of whom are experienced attorneys were not able to give useful feedback about what adcoms are looking for on these important documents. If you can afford it, and you don't have a positive result on the waitlist cycle I would recommend that type of service. There are many around I can direct you to the one I used.
Much appreciated, thank you. I've been really regretting not getting some consulting help.

irongirl51

New

Post by irongirl51 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 am

BabyDoc2JD wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Leliana wrote:

I worked with an admissions consultant. My first personal statement went completely in the bin, and my second went through 13 revisions before it was considered ready for applications. In my experience my friends many of whom are experienced attorneys were not able to give useful feedback about what adcoms are looking for on these important documents. If you can afford it, and you don't have a positive result on the waitlist cycle I would recommend that type of service. There are many around I can direct you to the one I used.

Ooooh can I get in on this consulting directing, I might need it if this cycle doesn't work out. All I know of is of Spivey...but idkn much else. Any references would be greatly appreciated!

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 am

fips tedora wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Or they're just like, you know, withholding information from us about the real reasons. Or flat out lying. This is the internet.
if there was another reason, he has no obligation to disclose it to internet strangers. besides, I've been here a few months and he's hardly trolling. let the man grieve in peace.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 am

charles117 wrote: If something was really off with his app,
if there was another reason, he has no obligation to disclose it to internet strangers. besides, I've been here a few months and he's hardly trolling. let the man grieve in peace.
You're taking me, and yourself, a little too seriously. Cool your jets, Goose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mander

New

Post by mander » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 am

Does anyone know how LORs (from boss) should be submitted at this point? Through LSAC, emailed, or mailed?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 am

mander wrote:Does anyone know how LORs (from boss) should be submitted at this point? Through LSAC, emailed, or mailed?
I sent in an extra letter through LSAC. Even if you've already sent off your application, they'll automatically forward additional letters that you add.

mander

New

Post by mander » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:25 pm

floatie wrote:
mander wrote:Does anyone know how LORs (from boss) should be submitted at this point? Through LSAC, emailed, or mailed?
I sent in an extra letter through LSAC. Even if you've already sent off your application, they'll automatically forward additional letters that you add.
Yeah, but I heard it could take a week to get to them through LSAC, and I could be waitlisted any minute. Would it be bad to have my boss mail it AND submit it through LSAC?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:47 pm

mander wrote:
floatie wrote:
Yeah, but I heard it could take a week to get to them through LSAC, and I could be waitlisted any minute. Would it be bad to have my boss mail it AND submit it through LSAC?
When I submitted mine (I used Interfolio and had it sent directly to LSAC) it was sent almost immediately once the letter reached my account. If you're worried about the timing though, I would call the school and ask if they will accept an additional letter of recommendation mailed directly to the school. Some schools only accept letters that are sent through LSAC, btw. You can also update your application to let them know that an additional letter is on the way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:51 pm

BabyDoc2JD wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Leliana wrote:

I worked with an admissions type counselor this cycle. Reapplied. Last year I was waitlisted by Chicago, Columbia, H, Northwestern, Vanderbilt....... etc, etc. Also applied mid-late January. The same thing. I redid my personal statement about 10 times, and applied to 20 schools or so this cycle. I've gotten into 19/22 ish (rejected by Penn and Stanford only), with some great scholarships and will be most likely attending a lower t13 with some money (but did get into t6).

It might just be your essay and your letters. I would reapply early, and work with someone over the summer. I started my personal statement in July, and my FINAL draft was submitted in December.

ETA: I did get some waitlists this cycle unfortunately, but the $$ I've received makes the wait worth it. I was considering attending Cornell or Vanderbilt at near sticker after getting off the waitlist last year, and I'm thankful I waited.

VapidP

Bronze

Post by VapidP » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:29 pm

If people are looking for admissions consulting other than Spivey, feel free to PM me for details. I worked with someone and they 100% are the reason my cycle went as great as it did (only 1 waitlist so far).

I don't any kickback from this. I really just honestly believe in the admissions consultant.

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm so sick of writing these LOCI!!!!! :) Especially since I'm waitlisted at 7 schools ... :|

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Washington & Lee makes no mention of LOCIs on their website (though they do mention calling, which I haven't seen too many places). Still a good idea to send? I'm god-awful at phone interviews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Hey Everybody - i'm a URM on the WL at UM, and I didnt originally sned a Diversity Statement ( i sent a why mich instead) I'm wondering if it's okay to send a DV and LOCI if you didnt previously send in a DV?

Thanks!

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Any consensus on visits? Some classes are over and I'd probably have to give myself the tour, but I think it'd be worth it.

Anyone else planning to visit their waitlist school?

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:25 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:Any consensus on visits? Some classes are over and I'd probably have to give myself the tour, but I think it'd be worth it.

if its close by I guess it couldnt hurt. I wouldnt bother buying a plane ticket to look though

Raven48

New

Post by Raven48 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:22 pm

charles117 wrote:
LegallyBlackJD wrote:Any consensus on visits? Some classes are over and I'd probably have to give myself the tour, but I think it'd be worth it.

if its close by I guess it couldnt hurt. I wouldnt bother buying a plane ticket to look though

Seconded. I think it's a good idea to boost your chances if you within a reasonable non-flight distance, but I wouldn't fork over $$$ for a plane ticket.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am

Mods: What's wrong with the poll and how do I reset the tallys? Thanks!

*Don't want to give everyone the false hope that so many people have been getting off the waitlists already.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:28 am

"waitlist" in spanish sounds like "list of despair"

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am

hahahah true ^ lista de espera sounds weird as f but it encapsulates the nature of the wait.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:51 am

is anyone doing extensive follow-up beyond the typical LOCI with their school of choice, post-WL? I've already sent LOCI(s) to one school, for example, and my last contact with admissions was in early March. Should I be reaching out again anytime soon or perhaps after May 1, their deposit deadline?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”