The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

Nightwing

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Post by Nightwing » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:46 am

floatie wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:So my dream school wl me from ed. My app will be reviewed again in April, is this a bad sign? I mean April is pretty late and I feel well its probably going to be a no.
That's kind of how it works for all law schools...they wait to see how many seat deposits they get after the first deadline (sometime in April) and then they pick people off the waitlist in order to have a diverse/well-rounded class or to raise their numbers. You need to be prepared to put down a deposit at another school in the meantime, and hopefully the school that WL'ed you will come through in April/May!
I gotta ask... how easy is it to even get any good housing coming off of a WL acceptance in the summer? I'm all for waiting on a top school that WL'd a person, but I would think 1-2 months notice isn't enough to find a decent place at a decent price.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:20 am

Nightwing wrote:
floatie wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:So my dream school wl me from ed. My app will be reviewed again in April, is this a bad sign? I mean April is pretty late and I feel well its probably going to be a no.
That's kind of how it works for all law schools...they wait to see how many seat deposits they get after the first deadline (sometime in April) and then they pick people off the waitlist in order to have a diverse/well-rounded class or to raise their numbers. You need to be prepared to put down a deposit at another school in the meantime, and hopefully the school that WL'ed you will come through in April/May!
I gotta ask... how easy is it to even get any good housing coming off of a WL acceptance in the summer? I'm all for waiting on a top school that WL'd a person, but I would think 1-2 months notice isn't enough to find a decent place at a decent price.
It won't be easy, but it's been done before. Depending on the top school, you can look into on-campus housing options. Also, you can see if there are any 2Ls/3Ls who are doing an externship and need to sublease their place for a semester, which might give you some more time to look around.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Reluctantly checking in with a very surprising WL from GW.

I'm thinking I might have been hit with a YP here. GW wasn't one of my top choices, but with significant money and a down cycle at T14s I would've definitely considered it. Any thoughts on what I should do next? I'm certainly not attending GW at sticker or anything close to it so I don't see a reason to stay on the WL

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:16 pm

RParadela wrote:Reluctantly checking in with a very surprising WL from GW.

I'm thinking I might have been hit with a YP here. GW wasn't one of my top choices, but with significant money and a down cycle at T14s I would've definitely considered it. Any thoughts on what I should do next? I'm certainly not attending GW at sticker or anything close to it so I don't see a reason to stay on the WL
I think it depends on the rest of your cycle - definitely don't go to GW at sticker (especially given the atrocious cost of living in the Foggy Bottom and surrounding areas). I wouldn't take yourself off of the waitlist just yet, but once you have better offers/better money later in the cycle, there's no need to stay on it if you have no intention of going.

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Waitlisted at UVA today... I'm just happy I didn't get dinged.... 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:34 am

Last edited by abcdefg1234567 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:20 am

Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 am

abcdefg1234567 wrote:Checking in...Got waitlisted at UCLA a few weeks ago. Def my first choice, so meh.

When is everyone planning on sending their LOCI? Already wrote mine out but I'm debating on waiting til after the first seat deposit or now...
I sent one a few days after getting waitlisted, and I'm planning on sending another one after the first seat deposit. Check in with UCLA about how often they want LOCIs and what types of updates they want/will accept.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Life of a super splitter... just got 4 waitlist decisions in a row :) lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:48 pm

WL @ Penn , Georgetown & Cornell.
:( :( :(

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:43 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 pm

haley12 wrote:Life of a super splitter... just got 4 waitlist decisions in a row :) lol
I *feel* this. I only have 1 WL so far, but too many are pending.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:11 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
haley12 wrote:Life of a super splitter... just got 4 waitlist decisions in a row :) lol
+1...ugh. The only schools I have yet to hear back from are the ones that are for sure going to WL/ding me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 pm

floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
+1...ugh. The only schools I have yet to hear back from are the ones that are for sure going to WL/ding me.
It's so frustrating. I just want to start planning! And know where my life is going!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 pm

haley12 wrote:
floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
It's so frustrating. I just want to start planning! And know where my life is going!
I completely agree! Plus I have an SO in the mix so right now the plan is "hey, you're going to have to find a job in one of these 6 cities and also if I get off a waitlist be prepared to do a 180 and move on command!" :(

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Any LOCI/Why X advice? anyone have a link to a good thread for it? Submitting a why x as a LOCI

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:56 pm

floatie wrote:
haley12 wrote:
floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
I completely agree! Plus I have an SO in the mix so right now the plan is "hey, you're going to have to find a job in one of these 6 cities and also if I get off a waitlist be prepared to do a 180 and move on command!" :(
I'm trying to coordinate with my SO who is going thru the md residency process right now...lots of what ifs but the safest plan is hedge both our bets on NYC (and it's where I'm from and have always wanted to be)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Keilz wrote:
floatie wrote:
haley12 wrote:
floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
I'm trying to coordinate with my SO who is going thru the md residency process right now...lots of what ifs but the safest plan is hedge both our bets on NYC (and it's where I'm from and have always wanted to be)
My SO is waiting to hear back from med schools, and we're hoping to go literally anywhere but NYC lol

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:24 am

chargers21 wrote:Any LOCI/Why X advice? anyone have a link to a good thread for it? Submitting a why x as a LOCI
Well, what job are your targeting out of law school?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 am

chargers21 wrote:Any LOCI/Why X advice? anyone have a link to a good thread for it? Submitting a why x as a LOCI
There's a TLS article about it somewhere (its on the same article as personal statement/diversity statement advice). I've submitted one LOCI so far, and this was my general formula (which I got following the advice of various articles on google and advice from an adcom at the school where I was WL'ed):
1. "Thanks for considering my application"
2. Here's what I've been up to since I submitted my application
3. Here's why I'd like to go to this school
4. "If accepted, I will attend."

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54 am

floatie wrote:
There's a TLS article about it somewhere (its on the same article as personal statement/diversity statement advice). I've submitted one LOCI so far, and this was my general formula (which I got following the advice of various articles on google and advice from an adcom at the school where I was WL'ed):
1. "Thanks for considering my application"
2. Here's what I've been up to since I submitted my application
3. Here's why I'd like to go to this school
4. "If accepted, I will attend."
Thanks for the info! I was thinking about doing something like that, but leaving out the "I'll go if accepted" part. For this particular school, I will go if accepted and enough money is there off the WL, which is unlikely but oh well
RParadela wrote: Well, what job are your targeting out of law school?
Corporate Big Law

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:18 am

RParadela wrote: Well, what job are your targeting out of law school?
Corporate Big Law[/quote]

Exactly where I want to head so this one is easy.

1. Talk about their employment numbers into BigLaw. Maybe this school feeds into a city you want to practice (UVA to DC, Michigan to Chicago, etc) which is always good to mention.

2. Talk about specific programs or clinics or whatever that particularly interest you

3. List some other reasons you want to go to said school. If it's in a big city, talk about how you really want to live in a big city

blackdragonhorses

New

Post by blackdragonhorses » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Has anyone ever been waitlisted at the same school two cycles in a row? I managed to get my LSAT score up a couple of points and my GPA as well before graduation. Excellent work history. Older student for a night program. Very frustrated that I can't seem to crack in. I've sent in another LOCI and a recent alum is submitting a recommendation letter - but I am just stumped.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:33 pm

RParadela wrote:Reluctantly checking in with a very surprising WL from GW.

no worries, i got straight up dinged with a similar situation

bapatel

New

Post by bapatel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Waitlisted at Columbia, shocked because I think it's a reach. 5+ years work experience in community organizing/political consulting, 164 LSAT. Should I not get my hopes up?
Thoughts on the LOCI, besides updates to my job description, what else are you supposed to write about? Obviously you're showing continued interest but.. what else? Thoughts on length also appreciated!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”