The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

charles117

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Post by charles117 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:28 am

freekick wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
freekick wrote:Not turning out to be quite the Summer of Waitlists that everyone's been expecting. Mich, UVA and GULC have officially ruled out movement in the coming weeks which means May's gone.
WL movement always starts at the top. So until HYSCCN start moving, those schools will be on stand by
The fact that they have not released anyone from the waitlist seems like they are still entertaining that possibility. Maybe HYSCNN would pull so many from their waitlist, there might be a cascade. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Interesting observations. Alright, let's see if HYSCCN create the much-awaited ripple. Not holding my breath, though.
+1, I agree. I think spivvy is too optimistic

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 pm

charles117 wrote:
freekick wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
freekick wrote:Not turning out to be quite the Summer of Waitlists that everyone's been expecting. Mich, UVA and GULC have officially ruled out movement in the coming weeks which means May's gone.
WL movement always starts at the top. So until HYSCCN start moving, those schools will be on stand by
The fact that they have not released anyone from the waitlist seems like they are still entertaining that possibility. Maybe HYSCNN would pull so many from their waitlist, there might be a cascade. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Interesting observations. Alright, let's see if HYSCCN create the much-awaited ripple. Not holding my breath, though.
NU seems to be continually interviewing people and Penn/NYU/GULC are already sending plenty of feeler emails and calls. Just because you don't individually get calls/emails doesn't mean there is no movement.

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 pm

lula43 wrote:
ryan.laine94 wrote:One more question about scholarships, does anyone know how successful negotiating scholarships after being admitted off the waitlist is? I only have 8 days to decide but if I could get a little more money from the school it would seal the deal.
I know someone who successfully negotiated their scholly once accepted off a t13 waitlist. The increase was $45k. :D
WOW! If I could pull that off I'd be set lol.

One last question, for anyone who has requested reconsideration off of a waitlist, is it ok to request a response by a certain date? They only gave me 8 days before my deposit is due (which is already down to 6 days, it took them 2 days to respond to my initial reconsideration e-mail) and I really don't want to waste $500 by putting down the deposit before I hear back.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu May 11, 2017 7:22 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
charles117 wrote:
freekick wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
NU seems to be continually interviewing people and Penn/NYU/GULC are already sending plenty of feeler emails and calls. Just because you don't individually get calls/emails doesn't mean there is no movement.
The converse could also be true. But we want a wild WL summer. So hope Penn/NU/GULC trigger movement at other lower T13s.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu May 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Harvard, Penn, Columbia, and NYU are what will precipitate the trickle-down waitlistonomics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vivirservirlembrar

New

Post by vivirservirlembrar » Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked before. I tried searching but found nothing. Does anyone know how being on multiple waitlists work? Let's say you put a deposit at School A, but are waitlisted at School B and C but prefer B > C. If you get accepted to C and turn down A to deposit at C, but then later in the summer get accepted to your first choice (B), could you then turn down C for B? I'm assuming you can and although School C might not be very happy about it, there's nothing wrong with that right?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:43 pm

vivirservirlembrar wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before. I tried searching but found nothing. Does anyone know how being on multiple waitlists work? Let's say you put a deposit at School A, but are waitlisted at School B and C but prefer B > C. If you get accepted to C and turn down A to deposit at C, but then later in the summer get accepted to your first choice (B), could you then turn down C for B? I'm assuming you can and although School C might not be very happy about it, there's nothing wrong with that right?
Yes you could do that.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 pm

vivirservirlembrar wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before. I tried searching but found nothing. Does anyone know how being on multiple waitlists work? Let's say you put a deposit at School A, but are waitlisted at School B and C but prefer B > C. If you get accepted to C and turn down A to deposit at C, but then later in the summer get accepted to your first choice (B), could you then turn down C for B? I'm assuming you can and although School C might not be very happy about it, there's nothing wrong with that right?
pretty sure its fine as long as you only deposit at one school at a time.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:36 pm

So a few things. Schools will often say "we are near full" to create demand, thus yielding more people because of the perceived demand. GULC said they were full and today just admitted a number of people. Point in case. Yale used to say "it would take a cruise missile hitting us for you to get off the WL" or something like that. It's essentially a "please don't throw me in the briar patch" strategy.

It's May. Early May. Around now many people start panicking because they haven't been admitted off the WL. I have seen it for 18 straight years. We have the rest of a long May, June, July and August. No need to panic more admits are coming and while 20/20 of the top schools may not go to the WL heavily, this will be a great year for WL movement less everyone reduces their class size.
Last edited by ms9 on Fri May 12, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Fri May 12, 2017 6:37 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:So a few things. Schools will often say "we are near full" to create demand, thus yielding more people because of the perceived demand. GULC said they were full and today just admitted a number of people. Point in case. Yale used to say "it would take a cruise missile hitting us for you to get off the WL" or something like that. iI's essentially a "please don't throw me in the briar patch" strategy.

It's May. Early May. Around now many people start panicking because they haven't been admitted off the WL. I have seen it for 18 straight years. We have the rest of a long May, June, July and August. No need to panic more admits are coming and while 20/20 of the top schools may not go to the WL heavily, this will be a great year for WL movement less everyone reduces their class size.
I cannot thank you enough.

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Fri May 12, 2017 7:00 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:So a few things. Schools will often say "we are near full" to create demand, thus yielding more people because of the perceived demand. GULC said they were full and today just admitted a number of people. Point in case. Yale used to say "it would take a cruise missile hitting us for you to get off the WL" or something like that. It's essentially a "please don't throw me in the briar patch" strategy.

Thank you so much! While others question your POV/ opinion, I truly appreciate it. You are the expert :)

Motion22Step

New

Post by Motion22Step » Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:So a few things. Schools will often say "we are near full" to create demand, thus yielding more people because of the perceived demand. GULC said they were full and today just admitted a number of people. Point in case. Yale used to say "it would take a cruise missile hitting us for you to get off the WL" or something like that. It's essentially a "please don't throw me in the briar patch" strategy.

Thanks, Mike! Some clutch perspective there.

onexsight

New

Post by onexsight » Fri May 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Got a feeler call for GULC last Wednesday, and the person I spoke to told me to expect to hear back by Friday/Monday. He sounded pretty optimistic about my chances (but I was probably just projecting). Did not hear back (imploded from all the anxiety) and then got that mass email on Tuesday about "strong deposits" and unlikelihood that they'd be taking anymore people until after the second deposits due on June 7th. Then radio silence. Did they end up throwing my application aside? Did I say something wrong during the feeler call? Should I forsake all hope or stay cool as a cucumber...?

Was on preferred waitlist, but apparently that stuff doesn't seem to matter since it seems like people on regular WL are getting pulled off left and right...

Any insight? (pliss.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:17 pm

onexsight wrote:Got a feeler call for GULC last Wednesday, and the person I spoke to told me to expect to hear back by Friday/Monday. He sounded pretty optimistic about my chances (but I was probably just projecting). Did not hear back (imploded from all the anxiety) and then got that mass email on Tuesday about "strong deposits" and unlikelihood that they'd be taking anymore people until after the second deposits due on June 7th. Then radio silence. Did they end up throwing my application aside? Did I say something wrong during the feeler call? Should I forsake all hope or stay cool as a cucumber...?

Was on preferred waitlist, but apparently that stuff doesn't seem to matter since it seems like people on regular WL are getting pulled off left and right...

Any insight? (pliss.)
gtown waitlist movement seems to go to those showing the most interest. I would say just bombard them with loci's and depending on how much you want gtown and if you can afford it, maybe make a pilgrimage to visit. worst case scenario, you'll at least get to visit the smithsonians + the other dc touristy stuff.

onexsight

New

Post by onexsight » Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm

charles117 wrote:
onexsight wrote:Got a feeler call for GULC last Wednesday, and the person I spoke to told me to expect to hear back by Friday/Monday. He sounded pretty optimistic about my chances (but I was probably just projecting). Did not hear back (imploded from all the anxiety) and then got that mass email on Tuesday about "strong deposits" and unlikelihood that they'd be taking anymore people until after the second deposits due on June 7th. Then radio silence. Did they end up throwing my application aside? Did I say something wrong during the feeler call? Should I forsake all hope or stay cool as a cucumber...?

Any insight? (pliss.)
gtown waitlist movement seems to go to those showing the most interest. I would say just bombard them with loci's and depending on how much you want gtown and if you can afford it, maybe make a pilgrimage to visit. worst case scenario, you'll at least get to visit the smithsonians + the other dc touristy stuff.
Hi! Thank you for the advice! Should I just give a heads up to the admissions that I'm on my way to visit?

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 pm

onexsight wrote:
charles117 wrote:

Any insight? (pliss.)
Hi! Thank you for the advice! Should I just give a heads up to the admissions that I'm on my way to visit?
that would probably be helpful. maybe you can get an appointment to speak with dean cornblatt or someone at the admissions dept.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Fri May 12, 2017 10:18 pm

charles117 wrote:
onexsight wrote:
charles117 wrote:

Any insight? (pliss.)
that would probably be helpful. maybe you can get an appointment to speak with dean cornblatt or someone at the admissions dept.
Visit is a great idea. I recommend emailing admissions and saying something like:

I am going to be in the area over X days. Is there a time I can meet with the admissions department to discuss my application?

This way, you will probably get a meeting and they won't tell you not to come bc of cost. And I agree w the above poster that a visit to D.C.(museums, monuments) is an additional benefit of visiting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Any insight? (pliss.)
I'm in the same exact situation! I asked for $$ and I think that is why I haven't heard back.

onexsight

New

Post by onexsight » Sat May 13, 2017 4:27 pm

personofinterest wrote:
charles117 wrote:
onexsight wrote:
charles117 wrote:

Any insight? (pliss.)
Visit is a great idea. I recommend emailing admissions and saying something like:

I am going to be in the area over X days. Is there a time I can meet with the admissions department to discuss my application?

This way, you will probably get a meeting and they won't tell you not to come bc of cost. And I agree w the above poster that a visit to D.C.(museums, monuments) is an additional benefit of visiting.
Thank you all for the great input!

latetothis

Bronze

Post by latetothis » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:26 pm

latetothis wrote:Anyone else feeling a wave of despair...

me :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:44 pm

blelwoods wrote:

Slowly coming to terms that I'm not going to get in off the waitlist before my self imposed deadline.

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Instrumental wrote:
blelwoods wrote:

Slowly coming to terms that I'm not going to get in off the waitlist before my self imposed deadline.
when's ur deadline

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:49 pm

jamesmangi wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
blelwoods wrote:

when's ur deadline
July 1st.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Instrumental wrote:
jamesmangi wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
blelwoods wrote:

when's ur deadline
July 1st.

Same. I need to sign a lease and get on with planning for my fallback school. Sucks though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”