Admission Weekend Stipend Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tncats

Bronze

Re: Admission Weekend Stipend

Post by tncats » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:24 pm

William and Mary doesn't do travel or hotel reimbursements. You can request to stay with a current student by March 10th for the ASW March 24-25, but no guests can stay with you. Otherwise they have special rates at two hotels.

a.sch

New

Post by a.sch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:55 pm

zerato5 wrote:Washington and Lee?
They'll reimburse up to $500 for travel and they pay for your hotel room. If you elect to have your own hotel room instead of sharing, they take $100 off/night of the travel reimbursement.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Mackgal wrote:Admissions are rolling in and a lot of us are probably looking to visit schools (or just get a free trip). Some schools offer information in your admissions package pertaining to what stipends or subsidies they offer for admitted students visiting during the admitted students weekend. If you have received any information please post below!
Excellent idea for a thread, Mackgal. Would it be possible for you to add to your OP the schools and their rates that people are mentioning? This could become a one-stop source for people in the weeks ahead.
call-me-bubbles wrote:Does anyone know how this applies to folks visiting from out of the country? Like, would we still be able to get reimbursed for the max amount given to within-country visitors (ex. $400 from UVA) to put toward travel costs?
I'm an international too. I'm pretty sure we not only qualify for the funding but will get the maximum amount given the wording of the different payment tiers. The proof or receipts that they require don't exclude us from submitting an app.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:40 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
Got it ! Thanks for finding that out. Would be odd if they didn't do flight subsidies, almost all other schools do.
I was thinking the same thing. Although a cheap hotel room is really nice. I'm spending more on my hotel in Berkeley than I did on the plane ticket :roll:
For future admits attending ASW in Berkeley, I would suggest NOT getting a hotel room directly in Berkeley nor San Francisco as these two areas are always extremely expensive, unless of course distance to the school is a must for you. I would suggest getting a room within walking/a quick Uber or Lyft ride away from the very convenient and easy to understand BART system - try Oakland, particularly around the airport. Also if flying into Oakland airport (which I suggest doing over SF Int'l) the BART picks you up/drops you off right inside the airport and goes directly into Downtown Berkeley which is on the western end of campus and a 10/15 minute walk through campus to the law school on the eastern end.

Source: Recent undergrad alum
While I'm sure you're correct, flying to SF was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than flying to Oakland for me. I also didn't want to have to pay for any transportation (other than to/from the airport if necessary) while I was in Berkeley, so I found an okay (not fancy, but it will do) hotel within walking distance of campus. It's refundable, though, so I might keep looking for different places to stay. Like I said, it's still a bit much :lol:

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:40 pm

airwrecka wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
Got it ! Thanks for finding that out. Would be odd if they didn't do flight subsidies, almost all other schools do.
I was thinking the same thing. Although a cheap hotel room is really nice. I'm spending more on my hotel in Berkeley than I did on the plane ticket :roll:
For future admits attending ASW in Berkeley, I would suggest NOT getting a hotel room directly in Berkeley nor San Francisco as these two areas are always extremely expensive, unless of course distance to the school is a must for you. I would suggest getting a room within walking/a quick Uber or Lyft ride away from the very convenient and easy to understand BART system - try Oakland, particularly around the airport. Also if flying into Oakland airport (which I suggest doing over SF Int'l) the BART picks you up/drops you off right inside the airport and goes directly into Downtown Berkeley which is on the western end of campus and a 10/15 minute walk through campus to the law school on the eastern end.

While I'm sure you're correct, flying to SF was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than flying to Oakland for me. I also didn't want to have to pay for any transportation (other than to/from the airport if necessary) while I was in Berkeley, so I found an okay (not fancy, but it will do) hotel within walking distance of campus. It's refundable, though, so I might keep looking for different places to stay. Like I said, it's still a bit much :lol:
I found a room in an Airbnb super close to campus for cheap.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:46 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

what?! when I looked on airbnb everything was like 100+ a night. however, I am looking for more than a private room (i.e. whole apartment) because my husband is coming with me and a friend is coming up to visit from LA so we'd like to have our own space.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:48 pm

airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

what?! when I looked on airbnb everything was like 100+ a night. however, I am looking for more than a private room (i.e. whole apartment) because my husband is coming with me and a friend is coming up to visit from LA so we'd like to have our own space.
Ahh yeah I'm coming alone (my bf couldn't get it off work) so I didn't need a whole apartment. I would keep an eye on it though, it's possible that someone might list something reasonably priced before March.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 am

airwrecka wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

Strange, not sure where you're flying from or what airline but as a general rule in my 3 years of flying to the Bay area about 1x/2x a month while at Berkeley, the opposite was true. But of course, I speak from my experience so I'm sure others might be different! If you found an affordable place near campus that's ideal!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

treetops_rising

New

Post by treetops_rising » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Does anyone know if Georgetown has any $$ available? I emailed admission and I haven't heard anything yet. Found some cheap spirit airline flights for under $200 to make it to their January ASW. I'm coming from LA, so even if I jump on this ticket it's still a lot to put together to come in for the weekend and it be nice to get something.

mintme

Bronze

Post by mintme » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:01 pm

bearlylegal wrote:Anyone heard of any stipend/reimbursement offers from CU Boulder? I sent out an email but haven't heard back yet. I'm in CA and their admit days are shortly before the first seat deposit is due. I really want to go because I've never been to the campus, but taking the trip would take a chunk out of my seat deposit savings without much time to replace it.
Are you a URM? They sent out an email about a diverse student weekend in April. Hotel costs covered + $300 travel reimbursement

smashbash

Bronze

Post by smashbash » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:02 am

FSU sent me an email offering me a $500 travel stipend. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone or if it's merit-based. Too bad a rountrip ticket is $530+ from where I live.

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:59 pm

bearlylegal wrote:Anyone heard of any stipend/reimbursement offers from CU Boulder? I sent out an email but haven't heard back yet. I'm in CA and their admit days are shortly before the first seat deposit is due. I really want to go because I've never been to the campus, but taking the trip would take a chunk out of my seat deposit savings without much time to replace it.
Did you ever find out if they offer any stipend/reimbursement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:07 pm

treetops_rising wrote:Does anyone know if Georgetown has any $$ available? I emailed admission and I haven't heard anything yet. Found some cheap spirit airline flights for under $200 to make it to their January ASW. I'm coming from LA, so even if I jump on this ticket it's still a lot to put together to come in for the weekend and it be nice to get something.
They definitively do not. I toured Gtown earlier this month and talked to one of the admission officers there and he said they do not offer travel stipends

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Last edited by poptart123 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Berkeley Related:

If you can't make ASW but still want to visit the campus on your own, Berkeley will reimburse up to $150 for airfare if you visit before April 17. Not as high as the $300 they'd give for ASW but still better than nothing!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 pm

armc808 wrote:Berkeley Related:

If you can't make ASW but still want to visit the campus on your own, Berkeley will reimburse up to $150 for airfare if you visit before April 17. Not as high as the $300 they'd give for ASW but still better than nothing!
Wow good to know thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:54 am

Keilz wrote:
armc808 wrote:Berkeley Related:

Wow good to know thanks!
No prob! :D

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:55 pm

FYI, I just emailed Michigan about being reimbursed for travel costs to the preview weekend (in addition to the cheap hotel rooms they offer), and I received a response saying that they will reimburse up to $300 of transportation costs if you bring the receipts to preview registration!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm

airwrecka wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

The average hotel room in SF is $400 a night, so "100+ a night" is indeed cheap.

zerato5

Bronze

Post by zerato5 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:47 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:51 am

Columbia allows up to $300 for admitted students that demonstrates need. It only applies to travel to/from NYC, no lodging.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:34 am

usc?

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Just emailed NYU about stipends for their ASW, will update when I get more info.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:41 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Just emailed NYU about stipends for their ASW, will update when I get more info.
NYU offers a stipend but it's only need-based. You fill out their financial aid application and let them know you're interested, and they let you know whether you're eligible and for how much money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”