Admission Weekend Stipend Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mackgal

Bronze

Admission Weekend Stipend

Post by Mackgal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Admissions are rolling in and a lot of us are probably looking to visit schools (or just get a free trip). Some schools offer information in your admissions package pertaining to what stipends or subsidies they offer for admitted students visiting during the admitted students weekend. If you have received any information please post below!

Notre Dame: $400 for travel expenses (including flights and hotels)

Michigan: Subsidizes food and hotel (not 100% confirmed yet)

Penn Law: up to $125 for Northeast Region and $300 for further distances (applies only to travel not accommodations)

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Re: Admission Weekend Stipend

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:44 pm

BU: $300, travel or accommodations.

monotonemr

New

Post by monotonemr » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Vanderbilt: Up to $400 for ASD or individual visits

Minnesota: $125/$250 depending on if you are there for one or two days

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:39 pm

monotonemr wrote:Vanderbilt: Up to $400 for ASD or individual visits

Minnesota: $125/$250 depending on if you are there for one or two days
Vanderbilt also gives up to $100 per night for hotel

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 am

Mackgal wrote:Admissions are rolling in and a lot of us are probably looking to visit schools (or just get a free trip). Some schools offer information in your admissions package pertaining to what stipends or subsidies they offer for admitted students visiting during the admitted students weekend. If you have received any information please post below!

Penn Law: up to $125 for Northeast Region and $300 for further distances (applies only to travel not accommodations)
How do you know that Michigan pays for hotels?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:11 am

taxman14 wrote:
Mackgal wrote:Admissions are rolling in and a lot of us are probably looking to visit schools (or just get a free trip). Some schools offer information in your admissions package pertaining to what stipends or subsidies they offer for admitted students visiting during the admitted students weekend. If you have received any information please post below!

They don't pay for the , in past years though they reserved a bunch of rooms at a specific hotel so you would get a special rate (a previous 1L told me). Their website for admitted students talks about the reserved hotel rooms as well though it doesn't mention what kind of discount you're looking at

DoYouEvenTLS

Bronze

Post by DoYouEvenTLS » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:31 am

Indiana U - Bloomington: $500 for those located 25+ miles away from Bloomington (covers hotel, airfare, and shuttle from airport)

ayylmao

Silver

Post by ayylmao » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 am

Great idea for a thread.

Stanford: $400 for round-trip airfare if coming from out of California, $200 if within CA. Up to $29 for transportation from airport to campus.

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

Tulane: $250 for any of the ASD weekends as well as blocked off hotel rooms with a reduced rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

Berkeley: $150 for travel if coming from within CA, $300 if coming from outside of CA

yuppitsme

New

Post by yuppitsme » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 pm

taxman14 wrote:

I asked them, they said the hotel will be $20 a night and they MAY extend flight subsidies they haven't decided yet I guess.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 pm

mm2368 wrote:BU: $300, travel or accommodations.
Wait, where did they say this?? I must've totally missed it

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
mm2368 wrote:BU: $300, travel or accommodations.
Wait, where did they say this?? I must've totally missed it
got it in my admissions packet! they reimburse with receipts

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:11 pm

yuppitsme wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

I asked them, they said the hotel will be $20 a night and they MAY extend flight subsidies they haven't decided yet I guess.
Got it ! Thanks for finding that out. Would be odd if they didn't do flight subsidies, almost all other schools do.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:15 pm

taxman14 wrote:
Got it ! Thanks for finding that out. Would be odd if they didn't do flight subsidies, almost all other schools do.
I was thinking the same thing. Although a cheap hotel room is really nice. I'm spending more on my hotel in Berkeley than I did on the plane ticket :roll:

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:26 pm

airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Although a cheap hotel room is really nice. I'm spending more on my hotel in Berkeley than I did on the plane ticket :roll:
Stanford is a bit better with that. It's ridiculous though, they should for sure pay for this type of stuff. I mean how else are we supposed to go see these schools...

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Anyone know about stipends for WUSTL? I'm within driving distance, but a hotel stipend would be nice - they aren't crazy expensive, but I'm trying to save that $$$$$.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm

yuppitsme wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

Yah I asked them the same about flights, wish they would cover some of the cost but oh well. They did mention to me that there's tons of free food opportunities while you're there so that's pretty much checked off .

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm

sjs12 wrote:Anyone know about stipends for WUSTL? I'm within driving distance, but a hotel stipend would be nice - they aren't crazy expensive, but I'm trying to save that $$$$$.
Last year they offered to put me up

big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Just trying to confirm, are these standard across all admitted students for a given school? Or do more desirable applicants receive preferential treatment?

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:25 pm

guybourdin wrote:
sjs12 wrote:Anyone know about stipends for WUSTL? I'm within driving distance, but a hotel stipend would be nice - they aren't crazy expensive, but I'm trying to save that $$$$$.
I emailed them and they got back to me within a week or so saying I had been approved for a $250 stipend and would be reimbursed 2-3 weeks after my visit if I provided receipts and filled out some paperwork. FWIW I'm from the west coast.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

sorence wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
I emailed them and they got back to me within a week or so saying I had been approved for a $250 stipend and would be reimbursed 2-3 weeks after my visit if I provided receipts and filled out some paperwork. FWIW I'm from the west coast.
if I recall, it sounded like they were going to book the room for me. I stayed with a friend in Clayton, though, so I didn't go any further than to just thank them for the offer.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:54 am

airwrecka wrote:Berkeley: $150 for travel if coming from within CA, $300 if coming from outside of CA
Thanks for sharing. I'm assuming we just need to provide travel receipts?

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:15 am

Do they reimburse us regardless of if we attend the schools?

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 am

hellohalo wrote:Do they reimburse us regardless of if we attend the schools?
If they gave you an offer or admission then yes. The whole point of the admitted student days is to try to sell you on attending their school, they realize pretty much everyone has applied and been accepted to other schools

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”