University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
elcamino4

New

University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by elcamino4 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:15 pm

GPA
3.24 / 3.53 / 3.69

LSAT

156 / 159 / 162

c/o 2019

Torres1893

Bronze

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by Torres1893 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:30 pm

This is my alma mater. Very surprised they haven't sent out acceptances yet since looking at past cycles they usually send out the first wave in the second week of December.

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Torres1893 wrote:This is my alma mater. Very surprised they haven't sent out acceptances yet since looking at past cycles they usually send out the first wave in the second week of December.
Same! Well, regarding acceptances, not alma mater. Looks like there were two waves by now last yeat 12/11 and 12/17. I'm expecting to at least see a "Decision Mailed" status update before the holidays, but who knows!

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:36 pm

I thought I spoke too soon. After I posted my previous comment I checked my mail and received a letter from UH. It was for donations. :lol:

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Damn. Any theories as to the tardiness? Have you given up hope of hearing before 2017?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Anyone even in review yet? Last year's thread says people went in review before being accepted. Mine just says File Complete.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:54 pm

I think we will see decisions in the first or second week of January. If we don't they are either trying a new admissions policy or forgot they have to accept a new class for 2017 :lol:

I'm still at app complete as well. Since 11/21.

viz-luv

Bronze

Post by viz-luv » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi, recent grad here. Happy to answer questions.

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:14 pm

viz-luv wrote:Hi, recent grad here. Happy to answer questions.
Hi! Thank you for taking questions. UH is a top choice for me (staying in TX) because of ranking, location, etc., however, I am a little dismayed at the LST employment score of like 57% (FT, LT legal job). Why do you think that is? What are you doing now and where? Did the school help you get there?

Do you live near the school? What is the culture like there--competitive? What drew you to the school? What's the best part about going to UH (doesn't even have to be school related)?

How many screw tapes do you have and who is your favorite HTown rapper? Personally, I have an affinity for Lil' Keke, but Bun is one of ya'lls greatest ambassadors. Z-Ro is cool too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:16 pm

elcamino4 wrote:
Hi! Thank you for taking questions. UH is a top choice for me (staying in TX) because of ranking, location, etc., however, I am a little dismayed at the LST employment score of like 57% (FT, LT legal job). Why do you think that is? What are you doing now and where? Did the school help you get there?

Do you live near the school? What is the culture like there--competitive? What drew you to the school? What's the best part about going to UH (doesn't even have to be school related)?

How many screw tapes do you have and who is your favorite HTown rapper? Personally, I have an affinity for Lil' Keke, but Bun is one of ya'lls greatest ambassadors. Z-Ro is cool too.
Oh and out of the young guys, I really like Maxo Kream and Travis Scott...anyone else I should be bumping?

viz-luv

Bronze

Post by viz-luv » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:31 pm

elcamino4 wrote:Hi! Thank you for taking questions. UH is a top choice for me (staying in TX) because of ranking, location, etc., however, I am a little dismayed at the LST employment score of like 57% (FT, LT legal job). Why do you think that is? What are you doing now and where? Did the school help you get there?

Lst is a great tool, used it myself. Was higher when I enrolled than 2015. Couple things about class of 2015: the class ahead of me had a pretty rough go of it. I knew a lot of unemployed 3ls. And they had atrocious bar passage rates to cap it off. Made it pretty tough on them to get employment in time for the stats, especially the retakers. I know some who failed and got kicked out of fellowships or honors programs. Most of those guys have found small firms now. But it is a hard road. In general: Texas bar results come out quite late and some local places that want bar passers only, like the da or some small firms, are just getting into hiring cycles now. Means these guys aren't reported in the stats.
NONE of the above is meant to say you'll totally get a job so throw caution to the wind. But if you know you want houston and smaller firms then those numbers may be a little off.
Me - at a boutique real estate firm in houston. Literally a unicorn job that shouldn't exist. It's awesome. However I have friends in everything, big law, government, small and mid and boutiques, clerkships, etc so if you have something in mind I can track down someone to ask for you. And yes I networked into this job only thanks to a contact our career services had. I know many more who did similarly with cdo and professors.

I did not live near the school, but friends were. Lots at Calhoun lofts for 1l for convenience and then they branched out. Most within 20 minute drive depending on preferences and if any work obligations.

Culture is section dependent. I landed in the most laid back section so I would have said not at all cutthroat. Sharing notes ands working together was the norm. But other sections did not have the same experience. Everyone relaxes 2l really. Some keep striving.

I chose uh for the Lst score, plus scholarship amount, plus actual existence of midlaw, plus industry where husband could work, plus strong draw for Texas employers to Texas grads, plus proximity to water for scuba (flower gardens), plus no more shoveling snow, etc. You get the idea. A lot of personal reasons. I believe you should really weigh job prospects and cost the most heavily here. And really don't be big law or bust, and especially don't think if you miss you can just scoop up midlaw or government because it doesn't work that way.

I made my best friends here. And I got an incredible job. I live in a big city again. All in all it was the right choice for me but you have to see if it is right for you. And one day you'll actually be able to park at uh though splurging for the garage was a good decision.

I'll have to let another student/ houston local answer this for you.

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:20 pm

viz-luv wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:Hi! Thank you for taking questions. UH is a top choice for me (staying in TX) because of ranking, location, etc., however, I am a little dismayed at the LST employment score of like 57% (FT, LT legal job). Why do you think that is? What are you doing now and where? Did the school help you get there?

Lst is a great tool, used it myself. Was higher when I enrolled than 2015. Couple things about class of 2015: the class ahead of me had a pretty rough go of it. I knew a lot of unemployed 3ls. And they had atrocious bar passage rates to cap it off. Made it pretty tough on them to get employment in time for the stats, especially the retakers. I know some who failed and got kicked out of fellowships or honors programs. Most of those guys have found small firms now. But it is a hard road. In general: Texas bar results come out quite late and some local places that want bar passers only, like the da or some small firms, are just getting into hiring cycles now. Means these guys aren't reported in the stats.
NONE of the above is meant to say you'll totally get a job so throw caution to the wind. But if you know you want houston and smaller firms then those numbers may be a little off.
Me - at a boutique real estate firm in houston. Literally a unicorn job that shouldn't exist. It's awesome. However I have friends in everything, big law, government, small and mid and boutiques, clerkships, etc so if you have something in mind I can track down someone to ask for you. And yes I networked into this job only thanks to a contact our career services had. I know many more who did similarly with cdo and professors.

I did not live near the school, but friends were. Lots at Calhoun lofts for 1l for convenience and then they branched out. Most within 20 minute drive depending on preferences and if any work obligations.

Culture is section dependent. I landed in the most laid back section so I would have said not at all cutthroat. Sharing notes ands working together was the norm. But other sections did not have the same experience. Everyone relaxes 2l really. Some keep striving.

I chose uh for the Lst score, plus scholarship amount, plus actual existence of midlaw, plus industry where husband could work, plus strong draw for Texas employers to Texas grads, plus proximity to water for scuba (flower gardens), plus no more shoveling snow, etc. You get the idea. A lot of personal reasons. I believe you should really weigh job prospects and cost the most heavily here. And really don't be big law or bust, and especially don't think if you miss you can just scoop up midlaw or government because it doesn't work that way.

I made my best friends here. And I got an incredible job. I live in a big city again. All in all it was the right choice for me but you have to see if it is right for you. And one day you'll actually be able to park at uh though splurging for the garage was a good decision.

I'll have to let another student/ houston local answer this for you.
Thank you very much for your response! No time to respond now but i appreciate it.

a.sch

New

Post by a.sch » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:17 am

Accepted via email this morning! I guess they are finally accepting people :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:41 am

a.sch wrote:Accepted via email this morning! I guess they are finally accepting people :)
Did your status checker change?

Also, congrats!

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:00 am

a.sch wrote:Accepted via email this morning! I guess they are finally accepting people :)
Congrats! Did you ever go 'in review'?

a.sch

New

Post by a.sch » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:06 am

Torres1893 wrote:

Also, congrats!
Thanks! My status checker changed to in review on the 9th of December and now says that I'm admitted. I got my scholarship email about an hour after.

If it makes any difference, I went to undergrad at a different university in Houston and work here now.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:12 am

a.sch wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:

Also, congrats!
Thanks! My status checker changed to in review on the 9th of December and now says that I'm admitted. I got my scholarship email about an hour after.

If it makes any difference, I went to undergrad at a different university in Houston and work here now.
Hmm I'm still in app complete. When did you submit your app?

I submitted in mid November, stats above median, and went there for undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

elcamino4

New

Post by elcamino4 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:17 am

Torres1893 wrote:
a.sch wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:

Also, congrats!

Smh i applied 10 minutes after the app opened and im still complete too. Oh well.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:31 am

elcamino4 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
a.sch wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:

Also, congrats!

Smh i applied 10 minutes after the app opened and im still complete too. Oh well.
Lol. On lsn there's an applicant who got accepted who applied two days before I did, but he is ED.

Last question a.sch, are you ED or RD?

Edit: My mistake the person on LSN who applied when I applied is not ED. The other applicant who got accepted did not list their submission date is ED.

a.sch

New

Post by a.sch » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
a.sch wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:

Also, congrats!

Lol. On lsn there's an applicant who got accepted who applied two days before I did, but he is ED.

Edit: My mistake the person on LSN who applied when I applied is not ED. The other applicant who got accepted did not list their submission date is ED.
I submitted ED just because it wasn't binding and I'm impatient haha. I think I submitted my app a few days after it opened. LSAT > 75th, GPA between 75th and 50th.

a.sch

New

Post by a.sch » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:01 pm

a.sch wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
a.sch wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:

Also, congrats!

I submitted ED just because it wasn't binding and I'm impatient haha. I think I submitted my app a few days after it opened. LSAT > 75th, GPA between 75th and 50th.
Also, sorry I forgot to mention I was ED. I kind of forgot since it's not binding or anything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:09 pm

a.sch wrote: Also, sorry I forgot to mention I was ED. I kind of forgot since it's not binding or anything.
Wow, I didn't even know about the ED being non-binding. I guess RD applicants are going to have to wait util the new year.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:56 am

Did my undergrad at UH and lived in Houston my entire life. Hoping to be a double Coog!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:45 am

elcamino4 wrote:

Pardon me, I had to laugh at that
elcamino4 wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:

Oh and out of the young guys, I really like Maxo Kream and Travis Scott...anyone else I should be bumping?
Lol at Maxo.

BTW, both UH and SMU have non-binding ED programs

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Checked the my status today and saw I've been in review since yesterday :shock:

Maybe we'll see some more decisions in the next week or two.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”