Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:00 pm

I'll echo ManoftheHour here. I double deposited and informed both schools. Got a small bump from school A, took it to school B, got a large bump from school B, withdrew from school A in an email, school A replied to that email and asked if more money would get me to attend. Ended up at school B because that was my #1 choice.

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
jlaw20161 wrote:Can anyone give me some insight on negotiations after making a seat deposit?

Once I deposit at one school, does this mean my other scholarship offers are effectively off the table for negotiation purposes? Can schools even tell whether or not I've made deposits anywhere else?

Thanks!
I didn't make my final decision until June. I had deposited at two schools, signed a lease for an apartment and found roommates at one of them. Check the school's policy (the paper they make you sign when you make your first deposit). If the language of it doesn't mention that you can't have multiple deposits or it just discourages you from doing so, then go for it.

Schools can't tell whether you made a deposit until after a certain date. I think it was in May or something. I had deposited at 2 schools by then (both first deposits) and as the second deposit dates were looming, one of the schools (Let's call it school A) reached out to me and told me that I had deposited at 2 schools and that I should tell the other school that I'm not going. lol. I then emailed school A and said I was still considering both schools and that a scholly bump would nudge me in one direction. School A called me, answered a few questions, and gave me a $15k bump. I then emailed School B and told them what happened with School A. I told them I was still undecided. School B bumped up their scholly to full ride and then some. I told School A about my other offer. They let me walk.
Technically you can deposit at two schools until June??I'm thinking of doing that since I still haven't decided.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:46 pm

PrayFor170 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
jlaw20161 wrote:Can anyone give me some insight on negotiations after making a seat deposit?

Once I deposit at one school, does this mean my other scholarship offers are effectively off the table for negotiation purposes? Can schools even tell whether or not I've made deposits anywhere else?

Thanks!
I didn't make my final decision until June. I had deposited at two schools, signed a lease for an apartment and found roommates at one of them. Check the school's policy (the paper they make you sign when you make your first deposit). If the language of it doesn't mention that you can't have multiple deposits or it just discourages you from doing so, then go for it.

Schools can't tell whether you made a deposit until after a certain date. I think it was in May or something. I had deposited at 2 schools by then (both first deposits) and as the second deposit dates were looming, one of the schools (Let's call it school A) reached out to me and told me that I had deposited at 2 schools and that I should tell the other school that I'm not going. lol. I then emailed school A and said I was still considering both schools and that a scholly bump would nudge me in one direction. School A called me, answered a few questions, and gave me a $15k bump. I then emailed School B and told them what happened with School A. I told them I was still undecided. School B bumped up their scholly to full ride and then some. I told School A about my other offer. They let me walk.
Technically you can deposit at two schools until June??I'm thinking of doing that since I still haven't decided.
Read the specific schools' deposit guidelines carefully. Some schools reserve the right to revoke admission if you do this.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:21 am

TheKisSquared wrote: Read the specific schools' deposit guidelines carefully. Some schools reserve the right to revoke admission if you do this.
I second this. READ the thing you are signing.

ETA: Also, note that Ox and I both notified both schools. It's not as if we both blindly double deposited (second deposits) and then negotiated.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:29 am

PrayFor170 wrote: Technically you can deposit at two schools until June??I'm thinking of doing that since I still haven't decided.
To clarify: For me, the 2nd deposit for both schools was looming. This was around May. School A had contacted me, upped my scholly. I DID NOT send a second deposit for School B but I notified them of my offer for School A but told School B that I was still very interested (you know, if they would splash the cash). School B took a while but eventually gave me more. In the meantime, I had sent in a second deposit for School A. It was only until in June that School B contacted me and upped their offer that I ended up there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

marisacb1012

New

Post by marisacb1012 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Need some negotiation help!
I deposited at BU and have 30K in scholarship per year (25K merit, 5K need). I asked for more from BU before the deadline and they said no, but I still deposited. After the deposit deadline, I got an unsolicited offer from Tulane. I had denied their acceptance and not deposited there, but they emailed me offering 40K/year and an extension till May 1st to decide.
I sent the offer to BU basically saying I know BU is right for me/a more prestigious school with better outcomes/etc, but I went to Tulane for undergrad and still live in New Orleans so I have a considerable professional network here/cost of living is way lower/the offer is proving quite tempting. BU said they'd contact me if and when funds become available.
Should I email BU again stating that Tulane gave me till May 1 to decide, but I'm coming up on the deadline and need to know? Is this a situation where I should tell BU "if you give me X, I'll deny Tulane now and place my 2nd BU deposit?" or should I just let BU take their time and not press them further?
Thanks!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:42 pm

marisacb1012 wrote:Need some negotiation help!
I deposited at BU and have 30K in scholarship per year (25K merit, 5K need). I asked for more from BU before the deadline and they said no, but I still deposited. After the deposit deadline, I got an unsolicited offer from Tulane. I had denied their acceptance and not deposited there, but they emailed me offering 40K/year and an extension till May 1st to decide.
I sent the offer to BU basically saying I know BU is right for me/a more prestigious school with better outcomes/etc, but I went to Tulane for undergrad and still live in New Orleans so I have a considerable professional network here/cost of living is way lower/the offer is proving quite tempting. BU said they'd contact me if and when funds become available.
Should I email BU again stating that Tulane gave me till May 1 to decide, but I'm coming up on the deadline and need to know? Is this a situation where I should tell BU "if you give me X, I'll deny Tulane now and place my 2nd BU deposit?" or should I just let BU take their time and not press them further?
Thanks!
if they are not already aware of the deadline, you should absolutely politely let them know. I think if it's been >week it would be fine to follow up and remind them of the deadline.

marisacb1012

New

Post by marisacb1012 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:06 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
Thanks!
if they are not already aware of the deadline, you should absolutely politely let them know. I think if it's been >week it would be fine to follow up and remind them of the deadline.
They don't know about the deadline, and it's been 6 days since my original ask. Should I follow up stating the deadline and ask for a specific amount to seal the deal? Or just gently state the deadline.

wilt

Silver

Post by wilt » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Last edited by wilt on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stardust84

New

Post by Stardust84 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:37 pm

For anyone who on this thread and is wondering about negotiating a scholarship on the basis of an LSAT retake after already being admitted, you can add my success to the anecdotes. Raised my LSAT 5 points in Feb after getting admitted in December. Emailed the school in March and went from half to full scholarship.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:50 pm

marisacb1012 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Thanks!
They don't know about the deadline, and it's been 6 days since my original ask. Should I follow up stating the deadline and ask for a specific amount to seal the deal? Or just gently state the deadline.
tell them the deadline and that $x would cause you to commit immediately. You can be polite but firm.

hunt godlink

Bronze

Post by hunt godlink » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:42 pm

Anyone have suggestions on how one should go about asking for a second scholarship increase after the school approves the first request? Examples via PM would be much appreciated! :D

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:27 pm

hunt godlink wrote:Anyone have suggestions on how one should go about asking for a second scholarship increase after the school approves the first request? Examples via PM would be much appreciated! :D

What schools do you have offers from? What are those offers? We will need more info to give you the right advice

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wilt

Silver

Post by wilt » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:25 am

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Can anyone post an example letter, or describe the format that you used in a successful negotiation? I have a few different schools that I need to start negotiating between. Thanks!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Stardust84 wrote:For anyone who on this thread and is wondering about negotiating a scholarship on the basis of an LSAT retake after already being admitted, you can add my success to the anecdotes. Raised my LSAT 5 points in Feb after getting admitted in December. Emailed the school in March and went from half to full scholarship.
this makes me SO happy I registered for the Feb LSAT!! hoping I can get some good news like this :D

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 am

airwrecka wrote:
Stardust84 wrote:For anyone who on this thread and is wondering about negotiating a scholarship on the basis of an LSAT retake after already being admitted, you can add my success to the anecdotes. Raised my LSAT 5 points in Feb after getting admitted in December. Emailed the school in March and went from half to full scholarship.
this makes me SO happy I registered for the Feb LSAT!! hoping I can get some good news like this :D
you got this ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:15 pm

How many spots can you go for "similarly ranked?" I.E. I have a full ride offer at a school ranked 4-5 spots lower than a half-tuition offer at my top choice. The higher school said they will reconsider offers in comparison to "similarly ranked." Do you think this is close enough to get anything more?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:43 pm

To those who received responses, how long did it take after your initial email to receive a response?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Also - did you guys email admissions office or financial aid office?

glockov

New

Post by glockov » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Is trying to get an increase in scholarship from a school that I got into ED an exercise in futility?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JordanLaw15

New

Post by JordanLaw15 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:34 pm

So I need some advice por favor... I have been accepted to 3 schools so far. A school in the 50-60 range that gave me a full scholarship, a school in the 15-20 range that gave me over half tuition scholarship, and a t14 school that I've been accepted to but haven't heard received scholarship info yet. Could I ask the top 20 school for an increase or should I wait to see what the t14 school gives me first before I start negotiating?

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:50 pm

sjs12 wrote:Also - did you guys email admissions office or financial aid office?

Admissions office. They will get it to who it needs to go to. If you have an email for the person who signed your scholarship letter, I would send it to them and cc the general admissions email. I've gotten replies on every negotiation email I've sent using this method.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:52 pm

sjs12 wrote:To those who received responses, how long did it take after your initial email to receive a response?
Two schools replied within 12 hours, one wrote back within a week. All indicated I would be waiting until feb/March for a decision.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Is it more effective to wait until you receive an initial scholarship offer before notifying schools about competing scholarships from peer schools?

I'm guessing I'll know where I stand across the board by March, but I've already received good offers from some schools. My gut tells me to wait for an initial offer before reaching out, what's consensus?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”