Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
marisacb1012

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by marisacb1012 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:23 am

TheKisSquared wrote:
marisacb1012 wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:So if a school shuts down my first inquiry for more $, is there a chance they might have a change of heart down the line if I continue to politely prod?

What's extra frustrating is to see other TLS posters who were initially offered $0 from this institution (and who have less leverage) being bumped up to a half tuition scholly after one email -- while I'm sitting here with an initial offer of less than half tuition, and they apparently won't budge.
I have the same question. Got denied today and am wondering if there's any way to ask again.
it heavily depends on the school. I would ask again as scholarship deadlines pass (hence they know how much money is 'free') if you're committed there has been success with asking after the deposit deadline (again they have a better idea of how much scholly money is unused) and again closer to the start of school.
Thanks! What's the best approach in asking a second time? I'm hoping for more from BU. Is it best to deposit at two schools so they know you're still serious about the other, cheaper option? Or just say "I know I asked before and you said no, but....please?"

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:33 am

marisacb1012 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
marisacb1012 wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:So if a school shuts down my first inquiry for more $, is there a chance they might have a change of heart down the line if I continue to politely prod?

What's extra frustrating is to see other TLS posters who were initially offered $0 from this institution (and who have less leverage) being bumped up to a half tuition scholly after one email -- while I'm sitting here with an initial offer of less than half tuition, and they apparently won't budge.
I have the same question. Got denied today and am wondering if there's any way to ask again.
it heavily depends on the school. I would ask again as scholarship deadlines pass (hence they know how much money is 'free') if you're committed there has been success with asking after the deposit deadline (again they have a better idea of how much scholly money is unused) and again closer to the start of school.
Thanks! What's the best approach in asking a second time? I'm hoping for more from BU. Is it best to deposit at two schools so they know you're still serious about the other, cheaper option? Or just say "I know I asked before and you said no, but....please?"
Something polite but firm, saying "I was not offered aid before, however cost is a major factor in my decision.... I understand more $$ might be available as applicants decide on schools... I would love to attend blah because blah... is it possible for my aid package to be reconsidered?" If there is a number you would definitely commit at, tell them. if not, ask for 150% of what you think is the high side of reasonable.

Jasondigs

New

Post by Jasondigs » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:40 pm

How agreeable is NYU to negotiating scholarships? I got better offers from 2 T6 schools, and am above both 75%? I would really appreciate any feedback.
Last edited by Jasondigs on Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

16to19

Bronze

Post by 16to19 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:40 pm

Last edited by 16to19 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:04 pm

I posted this a page or two back, but I think it got lost with the other posts. Has anyone successfully negotiated for more $$$ after the seat deposit deadline?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:31 am

tezzeret wrote:I posted this a page or two back, but I think it got lost with the other posts. Has anyone successfully negotiated for more $$$ after the seat deposit deadline?
Yes but it heavily depends on the school.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 am

TheKisSquared wrote:
tezzeret wrote:I posted this a page or two back, but I think it got lost with the other posts. Has anyone successfully negotiated for more $$$ after the seat deposit deadline?
Is this something that would be considered uncommon or even rare, generally speaking?

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:36 am

tezzeret wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Is this something that would be considered uncommon or even rare, generally speaking?
Depends on the school and whether its a first or second deposit deadline. Send them an email requesting more $$ and see where the chips fall. You lose nothing.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:06 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
tezzeret wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Depends on the school and whether its a first or second deposit deadline. Send them an email requesting more $$ and see where the chips fall. You lose nothing.
Can we expect better or worse odds on the two deposit deadlines?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mmt90

New

Post by mmt90 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Is there any threat of scholarship revocation if you ask too many times?

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:53 pm

mmt90 wrote:Is there any threat of scholarship revocation if you ask too many times?
no.

Lynched.Pin

New

Post by Lynched.Pin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:25 pm

I was about to call BS on this, but hey, got a $4k bump on the initial offer. 10/10 Will try again.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:34 pm

tezzeret wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
tezzeret wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Heavily depends on the school....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:49 pm

I have schools where most of the deposits are Friday, one is the Monday after that. I'm almost done negotiations with one school that ends the 15th and then I'm just going to take what I have to the one due on the 17th but they almost all have dual deposit clauses. Any idea how I should approach this? I wasn't really offered scholly money until a few weeks ago even though I applied in January. Most of them have more than one deposit but the clause seems to indicate that it's all deposits count for the list that says you can't have a seat reserved at more than one school.

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Last edited by Danimals18 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:14 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
tezzeret wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
tezzeret wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Heavily depends on the school....
And on the candidate. Most likely, after you've made your final decision about what school to attend the school will have little-to-no incentive to persuade you to attend. But, as I said, send them an email anyway. This is the last time you will ever talk to anyone from admissions so you lose absolutely nothing.

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:29 pm

When is it considered making my final decision?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jlaw20161

New

Post by jlaw20161 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am

Can anyone give me some insight on negotiations after making a seat deposit?

Once I deposit at one school, does this mean my other scholarship offers are effectively off the table for negotiation purposes? Can schools even tell whether or not I've made deposits anywhere else?

Thanks!

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:14 am

jlaw20161 wrote:Can anyone give me some insight on negotiations after making a seat deposit?

Once I deposit at one school, does this mean my other scholarship offers are effectively off the table for negotiation purposes? Can schools even tell whether or not I've made deposits anywhere else?

Thanks!
I'd also like to know the answer to this as far as if they are off the table. BUT I can offer this: There are schools that participate in a dual deposit program. LSAC will keep track of a list where all students deposit, and if a school you deposited to is on the list your name will show up as having deposited there. Some explicitly state that if you are on the list and deposited at another school, your scholly is officially void.

Lawdog5

New

Post by Lawdog5 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:40 pm

I believe May 15 is when schools can first find out if you deposited elsewhere. The post in the link below talks about the issue of putting down multiple deposits:

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/is_it ... e_deposits

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:05 am

After my scholly negotiation was directly rejected by Michigan, I sent a letter again requesting a scholly reconsideration.
Let's see what happens.
Anyone here ask a second time for scholly reconsideration?

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 am

PrayFor170 wrote:After my scholly negotiation was directly rejected by Michigan, I sent a letter again requesting a scholly reconsideration.
Let's see what happens.
Double No's from both schools I asked twice.

Budfox55

Bronze

Post by Budfox55 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm

PrayFor170 wrote:After my scholly negotiation was directly rejected by Michigan, I sent a letter again requesting a scholly reconsideration.
Let's see what happens.
Got a 15k bump from one school when I asked a second time. I had no new offers, but said if I were to receive X amount in scholarship, I would deposit immediately. They met my request and I subsequently deposited immediately.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:54 pm

jlaw20161 wrote:Can anyone give me some insight on negotiations after making a seat deposit?

Thanks!
I didn't make my final decision until June. I had deposited at two schools, signed a lease for an apartment and found roommates at one of them. Check the school's policy (the paper they make you sign when you make your first deposit). If the language of it doesn't mention that you can't have multiple deposits or it just discourages you from doing so, then go for it.

Schools can't tell whether you made a deposit until after a certain date. I think it was in May or something. I had deposited at 2 schools by then (both first deposits) and as the second deposit dates were looming, one of the schools (Let's call it school A) reached out to me and told me that I had deposited at 2 schools and that I should tell the other school that I'm not going. lol. I then emailed school A and said I was still considering both schools and that a scholly bump would nudge me in one direction. School A called me, answered a few questions, and gave me a $15k bump. I then emailed School B and told them what happened with School A. I told them I was still undecided. School B bumped up their scholly to full ride and then some. I told School A about my other offer. They let me walk.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”