Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
E\/ERLAST

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by E\/ERLAST » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 am

Worth a shot right? They certainly are not going to get angry and increase your tuition...

Or would they... :twisted:

SenatorClayDavis

New

Post by SenatorClayDavis » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am

:shock:

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:16 am

I asked UF and they said they would forward my letter to the committee, and I asked Wake Forest and they haven't responded. Oh well. I won't go to either of them without some money because I got a pretty good scholarship to W&L, but I would definitely consider them if the costs were equal/less.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:44 am

SenatorClayDavis wrote:Do you think it is reasonable to ask your top choice school for money if none has been offered? :?
I'm thinking of trying something like this @ Cornell b/c it's so much money, & a private school like this has got to have some money . . . one can dream, right? :|

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:11 pm

It's really not reasonable to ask any school for scholarship if you don't have another scholarship in hand from a competitive school.

Lime, your situation surprises me. How long ago did you send the letter?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Any thoughts on = scholarships at schools of similar rank i.e. Duke and Georgetown.

For example, if both give you the same scholarships, do you think it reasonable for Georgetown to increase theirs slightly, or is it pretty a non-issue?

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:31 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:Any thoughts on = scholarships at schools of similar rank i.e. Duke and Georgetown.

For example, if both give you the same scholarships, do you think it reasonable for Georgetown to increase theirs slightly, or is it pretty a non-issue?
I can't really say. My guess is that some of it would depend on the tone of your letter and how far you push things. I'd say it's something worth writing if G-Town is a serious consideration for you, but not something to expect results from.

egrubs

New

Post by egrubs » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:33 pm

If you are pleasant in tone, friendly, nondemanding and nonthreatening, you can ask for the world regardless of any lack in leverage. You may get nothing, but you are unlikely to be the jerk.

Fortune favors the bold.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:47 pm

Kompressor- I asked Florida last week and on Monday or Tuesday they told me they would give the info to the committee, but I don't know if anything is going to happen with that. Wake responded to me today (I emailed them yesterday) and essentially said they are done with scholarships until they find out who is attending after the April 1 deadline.

Given the $$ I got from W&L, I can't justify going to either of the other two schools without some sort of scholarship, but I would really consider Florida in particular if they came through with something because of personal reasons. I pretty much alluded to this in the letter but their response didn't sound particularly promising. W&L is going to end up costing me about $50,000 in tuition total, and UF would be about the same... but I will have to pay $30,000 the first year at UF for out of state and I can't justify paying the same thing for such a huge difference in rankings and job prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Any update lime?

Unfortunately, my attempt at this has been shut down. BC has informed me that they do not take sholarships from other schools into consideration, which is a position that I can completely understand and respect. I also appreciate the fact that they got back to me so quickly about it. I'll just have to wait and see what grants they may or may not offer me with my financial aid.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Nope. I am not really expecting to get great results but I figured I should at least try because I don't have anything to lose. Sorry to hear about BC. It seems like a reasonable policy, but it is frustrating too.

cea23

New

Post by cea23 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:39 pm

so funny that i find this thread now, because i actually tried negotiating a scholarship from Umiami admissions this afternoon..

i used the full ride temple offered me as leverage to ask for some money at miami (they didn't give me a scholarship) and i was shut down -- they told me they don't have any more money and that they don't expect to have any more -- in response to my question asking about students who decline admission but were offered scholarships. i'm totally bummed about this, if they would've offered some money, it would make my decision a lot easier.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:47 pm

cea23 wrote:so funny that i find this thread now, because i actually tried negotiating a scholarship from Umiami admissions this afternoon..

i used the full ride temple offered me as leverage to ask for some money at miami (they didn't give me a scholarship) and i was shut down -- they told me they don't have any more money and that they don't expect to have any more -- in response to my question asking about students who decline admission but were offered scholarships. i'm totally bummed about this, if they would've offered some money, it would make my decision a lot easier.
That's funny, I asked Miami for some money today too and got shot down. I already have a scholarship there but it's not enough to pass up W&L, so I essentially asked for more, and they told me they were out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MAC

New

Post by MAC » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:59 pm

SenatorClayDavis wrote:Do you think it is reasonable to ask your top choice school for money if none has been offered? :?
A closed mouth does not get fed. Do it!

lawduck

New

Post by lawduck » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:50 am

I plan on doing this. Will report back with results.

kt625

New

Post by kt625 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:44 pm

hey, new question on the same topic... for those of you who have been successful in negotiating scholarships, have the scholarships come with any stipulations? i'm particularly worried about schools making you withdraw all other applications if they give you a scholarship.

does anyone know if schools do this and if so, which schools?

MikeLav456

New

Post by MikeLav456 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 pm

I was thinking of finding this thread and asking my own question. How long did it take y'all to hear back from the schools? I e-mailed Fordham back on March 20th, they were closed till the 25th. It's been almost a week and not a peep from them. Should I call? Anyone deal with Fordham in this fashion?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawduck

New

Post by lawduck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:23 pm

lawduck wrote:I plan on doing this. Will report back with results.
The results:

Took a while but I eventually picked up a cool 25k. Unconditional.

LaworBust

New

Post by LaworBust » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:25 pm

good for you law duck and you were a faithful reporter-backer.

Snoozer2480

New

Post by Snoozer2480 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 pm

For someone who has successfully negotiated scholarship money, did you send the letter to the Financial Aid Office, or the Office of Admissions? Thanks in advance!

bettielocke

New

Post by bettielocke » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:27 am

bump...this is a discussion i need to get in on :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:40 am

bettielocke wrote:bump...this is a discussion i need to get in on :)

Agreed. A copy and paste of a successful email would be REALLY helpful. hint. hint.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:58 am

purplepansy wrote:So I sent out an email to San Diego after their initial scholarship offer of $23,000 a year asking for an increased amount. Today, I just got a letter saying I am receiving the Dean's Honor Scholarship which covers full tuition ($39,000) and a gives me a living stipend! This pretty much just made my decision.

Congratulations!!! I've been waiting to hear back about scholarship money from them for a while...maybe I'll send an email now.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:37 am

kt625 wrote:hey, new question on the same topic... for those of you who have been successful in negotiating scholarships, have the scholarships come with any stipulations? i'm particularly worried about schools making you withdraw all other applications if they give you a scholarship.

does anyone know if schools do this and if so, which schools?
IMO that's good bargaining on the law school's part. It's poor form to negotiate a scholarship offer up unless the school is in hot contention for your seat deposit. Trying to leverage a full ride out of a lower T1 safety when you're in at a T14 with some money already seems kind of ridiculous.

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 am

Would a full ride at Baylor and 75k and San Diego be enough to negotiate with schools like tOSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and UIUC? I'm thinking they may be a little bit too low in the rankings...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”