International Applicants 2016-17 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JDrat

Bronze

International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Post by JDrat » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:53 pm

Anyone else on this forum who is an international applicant, and waiting on admits?

freekick

Bronze

Re: International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Post by freekick » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:12 am

Checking in. International UG.
Last edited by freekick on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:23 am

Checking in as well
fwiw, International UG, eval AA, 171
Last edited by galeatus on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:53 am

Check in.
International Undergrad here. I think it's helpful to indicate whether you are American UG or international UG.

dala77

New

Post by dala77 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:53 am

Checking in. International UG :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shao

New

Post by shao » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 am

Cheking in. International UG. Will school ask international students for senior grades before decision?

marryJLP92

New

Post by marryJLP92 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:14 am

Checking in. U.S. citizen (URM) but educated in UK. Unique case to say the least..

arthrod

New

Post by arthrod » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:38 am

Checking in!

Above Average, 166, South American

arthrod

New

Post by arthrod » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:38 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MisterT

New

Post by MisterT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:42 am

Checking in. International UG. Appling to UCLA, Berkeley and HLS / SLS

cakerusk

New

Post by cakerusk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:28 am

International UG from South Asia, but moved to Texas 5 years ago, non-traditional (read: old) applicant.

wygsys

New

Post by wygsys » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Checking in. International born and educated. Superior + 174 + two years out of college.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Impressive turnout so far. Should help us all this cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:40 pm

nice to see an international thread.
American with international ug. superior/low 170s.

anyone know the effect of superior rating but low gpa?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:30 am

appind wrote:nice to see an international thread.

LSAC's GPA evaluation factors in the quality, difficulty etc of the course. So if your 'low' gpa got a superior rating, there is nothing low about it anymore. The rating is all that counts.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:09 am

freekick wrote:

LSAC's GPA evaluation factors in the quality, difficulty etc of the course. So if your 'low' gpa got a superior rating, there is nothing low about it anymore. The rating is all that counts.
In my evaluation, LSAC quoted some authority publications on higher education in my country. I believe they take the quality/reputation of the school into consideration. But as to the difficulty of major, I doubt LSAC is the one to say chemical engineering is more challenging than a foreign language.

But anyway, a superior is superior. No need to worry much about it. I just wish law schools will look deeper into my "above average" transcripts. Cuz my transcripts are just numbers and a suggestion of A=90-100, B=80-90 etc. All the numbers on my transcripts are hardcore real numbers from the exam. There's no curve in my college. I mean I could be (and I was) top 1 even with a 85 out of 100. But it was just a B.

Whatever I say, it's up to the law school to make their decision. Admission for us international UG is less predictable for sure. Good luck to everyone.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:18 am

hellohalo wrote:
freekick wrote:

In my evaluation, LSAC quoted some authority publications on higher education in my country. I believe they take the quality/reputation of the school into consideration. But as to the difficulty of major, I doubt LSAC is the one to say chemical engineering is more challenging than a foreign language.

But anyway, a superior is superior. No need to worry much about it. I just wish law schools will look deeper into my "above average" transcripts. Cuz my transcripts are just numbers and a suggestion of A=90-100, B=80-90 etc. All the numbers on my transcripts are hardcore real numbers from the exam. There's no curve in my college. I mean I could be (and I was) top 1 even with a 85 out of 100. But it was just a B.

Whatever I say, it's up to the law school to make their decision. Admission for us international UG is less predictable for sure. Good luck to everyone.
Want to digress a bit to add that since we don't contribute to GPA medians, the LSAC trancript rating works more like a necessary condition than a standalone application booster. The LSAT seems to be pretty much the game barring something truly exceptional (good/bad).

Interested in knowing what others think.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Strangeland

New

Post by Strangeland » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:14 am

Hey everyone!
Saw this spreadsheet from a past cycle https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Could we make one for 16-17? I have no experience with these so I'm hoping someone else might (:
P.S. International UG, non-URM

MisterT

New

Post by MisterT » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:38 am

freekick wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
freekick wrote:

Want to digress a bit to add that since we don't contribute to GPA medians, the LSAC trancript rating works more like a necessary condition than a standalone application booster. The LSAT seems to be pretty much the game barring something truly exceptional (good/bad).

I think that the foreign transcript evaluation is somewhat arbitrary. It seems difficult to factor in a curve or (lack of) grade inflation in certain education systems, which is why submitting a class ranking often helps sway the evaluators one way or another. Also, in my case, failed exams or grades that were scored but de facto pass/fail (subject to study degree-specific regulations), are usually taken in to account as they would at US institutions, unless certain practices are well known throughout the entire system of the respective country. For example, I recieved an "average" rating due to such graded but ultimately pass/fail classes from my freshman year being calculated in to my average. The fact that my GPA was enough to gain admission to a Master's program requiring a GPA of 3.5 for US applicants didn't seem to sway them, but I put it in an addendum to make sure the schools got the bigger picture.

Having looked in to it when I applied last cycle it does seem that LSATs are weighted heavily compares to academic performance for international applicants, still I think schools do want to know if you have the study ethic required for their program, so if there is anyway to put your grades in context, don't be afraid to reach out to schools or write an addendum.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:55 am

MisterT wrote:
freekick wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
freekick wrote:

I think that the foreign transcript evaluation is somewhat arbitrary. It seems difficult to factor in a curve or (lack of) grade inflation in certain education systems, which is why submitting a class ranking often helps sway the evaluators one way or another. Also, in my case, failed exams or grades that were scored but de facto pass/fail (subject to study degree-specific regulations), are usually taken in to account as they would at US institutions, unless certain practices are well known throughout the entire system of the respective country. For example, I recieved an "average" rating due to such graded but ultimately pass/fail classes from my freshman year being calculated in to my average. The fact that my GPA was enough to gain admission to a Master's program requiring a GPA of 3.5 for US applicants didn't seem to sway them, but I put it in an addendum to make sure the schools got the bigger picture.

Having looked in to it when I applied last cycle it does seem that LSATs are weighted heavily compares to academic performance for international applicants, still I think schools do want to know if you have the study ethic required for their program, so if there is anyway to put your grades in context, don't be afraid to reach out to schools or write an addendum.
Agree on addendum highlighting strength of UG. It could be a tie breaker of sorts b/w candiates offering same LSAT.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Question to fellow reapplicants: Are you recyclying your LoRs? The PS will of course be new.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Strangeland

New

Post by Strangeland » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:28 pm

freekick wrote:Question to fellow reapplicants: Are you recyclying your LoRs? The PS will of course be new.
I am.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Strangeland wrote:
freekick wrote:Question to fellow reapplicants: Are you recyclying your LoRs? The PS will of course be new.
I am.
So the PS, and other essays if you are writing any, is the only change from before?

Strangeland

New

Post by Strangeland » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:11 pm

freekick wrote:
Strangeland wrote:
I am.
So the PS, and other essays if you are writing any, is the only change from before?
Yeah. Maybe I would recycle Why X school essays but I didn't like what I wrote the first time. There's also resume, if you have anything new to add. (I also had a new score)

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:23 pm

Strangeland wrote:
freekick wrote:
Strangeland wrote:
I am.
Yeah. Maybe I would recycle Why X school essays but I didn't like what I wrote the first time. There's also resume, if you have anything new to add. (I also had a new score)
Thanks for sharing. Same combo for me: PS+resume+new score. I am not sure about Why X and diversity essays. Don't want to force them as I currently don't have solid basis for either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”