International Applicants 2016-17 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freekick

Bronze

Re: International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Post by freekick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:32 am

pezberri wrote:
potatocowpower wrote:High 170s/AA

Wait listed at Cornell, Penn, Northwestern
Dinged at Michigan

RIP self-esteem
yooooo :!: :!: :!:

That's crazy!! I'm so sorry
Exactly. But some folks (165-168 LSAT) have had very good outcomes at t25-30.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:07 am

freekick wrote:
pezberri wrote:

Dinged at Michigan

RIP self-esteem

For me it's just not worth it outside of the t14. I'm willing to re-do the LSAT, I'm just not sure it'll help considering the randomness of this cycle

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:15 am

pezberri wrote:
freekick wrote:
pezberri wrote:

Dinged at Michigan

RIP self-esteem

For me it's just not worth it outside of the t14. I'm willing to re-do the LSAT, I'm just not sure it'll help considering the randomness of this cycle
Retake for 171+ and roll the dice again next year in October coz applying mid-Jan must have hurt. But being a reapplicant isn't a clean slate as I discovered this cycle with horrible outcomes wherever I was a reapplicant. Had saved a couple of schools last cycle and they in turn saved me this time. PM for further details.

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 am

Hey! Did any of you apply to Northwestern's 2YJD? If so, have you guys heard back?

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:32 pm

intlbr wrote:Hey! Did any of you apply to Northwestern's 2YJD? If so, have you guys heard back?
JDRat did. They are waiting! You can PM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

potatocowpower

New

Post by potatocowpower » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:40 am

freekick wrote:
pezberri wrote:

Dinged at Michigan

RIP self-esteem

Update: Things got better (yay!) Accepted at NYU and Georgetown, wait listed at Harvard (no JS1)

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:45 am

potatocowpower wrote: Update: Things got better (yay!) Accepted at NYU and Georgetown, wait listed at Harvard (no JS1)

Oh congratulations! You must be so happy and sorta relieved too. The power of 170s finally showing. Take time to update the spreadsheet and let us know where you decide to go. All the best!

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:47 am

sensitive q: for those of you who don't get full scholarships, how are you planning to fund law school? obviously without a guarantor we can't take out US loans. are you applying for outside scholarships/taking out loans from your home countries/using savings/something else?

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:48 am

potatocowpower wrote:
Update: Things got better (yay!) Accepted at NYU and Georgetown, wait listed at Harvard (no JS1)
congrats!!! really pleased for you :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

potatocowpower

New

Post by potatocowpower » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 am

freekick wrote:
potatocowpower wrote: Update: Things got better (yay!) Accepted at NYU and Georgetown, wait listed at Harvard (no JS1)

Oh congratulations! You must be so happy and sorta relieved too. The power of 170s finally showing. Take time to update the spreadsheet and let us know where you decide to go. All the best!
Just did, many waitlists :shock: :shock:

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:41 am

intlbr wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Guys, for an international on a student visa interested in biglaw in corporate and transactional law, is it better to go for Fordham over GW Law with the same effective COA? I understand NYC is a slightly easier (less prestige-, ties -and grade-whore) market to break in and hence easier for internationals who want biglaw. Also, I understand firms in NYC would be more willing to send associates to other countries in case one doesn't get an H1B visa.
Your views, please. Thanks
I'm going to give you my personal view as an associate at a biglaw in the corporate and transactional practices... I am an attorney in my country and I work at an international office of a global firm as an associate, and I must say GW has much more prestige here in this firm. Full disclosure: it is a Washington D.C. based law firm. But I don't think NYC is an easier market to break, and there are many opportunities for international lawyers (especially those with a JD) in D.C. Again, this is my opinion observing the D.C. market much closer than the NY one (although the firm does have an office in NYC).

What I would suggest is that you go to Vault and check the Top50 law firms' websites. Type "Fordham" and "GW" in the "education" box, and see how these firms react to both schools (that is, how many associates, especially young ones). Finally, I think it all comes down to where you think you want to live and practice law. Both schools hold some prestige in their respective markets, so I think it is a matter of regional taste.

Hope this helps. PM me if you would like to discuss more about the corporate and transactional practice. :)
It ultimately depends on where you want to end up. Keep in mind however, GW's location, gives it the upper hand since you are surrounded by so many federal agencies and companies, which translates into more internship and networking opportunities. GW also places better in NYC than fordham places in DC.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Sat May 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Hope everyone's​ deposited at their dream schools and signing leases. :)

For those not aware, here's a thread addressing a very important issue concerning most, if not all, of us - work visa. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=277395

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:53 pm

freekick wrote:Hope everyone's​ deposited at their dream schools and signing leases. :)

For those not aware, here's a thread addressing a very important issue concerning most, if not all, of us - work visa. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=277395
Do we have access to the same financial aid as resident students?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Sat May 13, 2017 9:44 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
freekick wrote:Hope everyone's​ deposited at their dream schools and signing leases. :)

Generally speaking, no. For example, we are not entitled to federal aid under the FAFSA program. We get merit aid only at most schools, except at HYS where aid is need based for all applicants regardless of citizenship/residency. Eligibility for institutional loans also varies by school.

Schools have explicit policies on what kind of aid international applicants are entitled too. You may look up the schools you are interested in.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:06 am

freekick wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:

Generally speaking, no. For example, we are not entitled to federal aid under the FAFSA program. We get merit aid only at most schools, except at HYS where aid is need based for all applicants regardless of citizenship/residency. Eligibility for institutional loans also varies by school.

Schools have explicit policies on what kind of aid international applicants are entitled too. You may look up the schools you are interested in.

Alright thanks!

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Mon May 15, 2017 11:09 am

not too long ago, stanford didn't offer institutional loans to its jd students. only HY did.

has that changed now?

*note, i'm talking about loans, not need-based aid.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon May 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi everyone, I'm international too and I'm planning to apply on next cycle.

Congrats everyone for the acceptances. Of course, it's hard to establish some kind of "rule" about intl admissions, however what seems clear is that 170+ LSAT opens at least some t14 doors, which is not that bad.

Now I just had a couple of questions about financial matters... Did you guys receive any good scholarship?

I read on Berk website that you are requested to be able to afford the total COA, regardless the scholarships you received, to take the immigration VISA... Is that right? So, even if I get into H (never happening) with need-based scholly, do I still have to demonstrate 270k $ of savings to pass the border?
Wtf... :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 pm

InterLaw wrote:Hi everyone, I'm international too and I'm planning to apply on next cycle.

Congrats everyone for the acceptances. Of course, it's hard to establish some kind of "rule" about intl admissions, however what seems clear is that 170+ LSAT opens at least some t14 doors, which is not that bad.

Now I just had a couple of questions about financial matters... Did you guys receive any good scholarship?

I read on Berk website that you are requested to be able to afford the total COA, regardless the scholarships you received, to take the immigration VISA... Is that right? So, even if I get into H (never happening) with need-based scholly, do I still have to demonstrate 270k $ of savings to pass the border?
Meaning to get accepted? That's not true.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 pm

InterLaw wrote:Now I just had a couple of questions about financial matters... Did you guys receive any good scholarship?

1. You can see this cycle's outcomes for international applicants in the spreadsheet linked on the previous page of this thread. It includes scholarship info for some as well.

2. Can you link the webpage you read that on? Doubt it is true. As per the US government''s rules on student visa (which is non-immigrant), you need to show funds for a year of study (tuition+CoL). If you get scholarship​, then that amount is deducted from the estimate and you have to show funds for the balance amount.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue May 16, 2017 4:00 am

freekick wrote: 1. You can see this cycle's outcomes for international applicants in the spreadsheet linked on the previous page of this thread. It includes scholarship info for some as well.
Right, I didn't notice the scholly info, thanks!
freekick wrote: 2. Can you link the webpage you read that on? Doubt it is true. As per the US government''s rules on student visa (which is non-immigrant), you need to show funds for a year of study (tuition+CoL). If you get scholarship​, then that amount is deducted from the estimate and you have to show funds for the balance amount.
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... -students/

"The financial resources required to attend Berkeley Law are substantial. Before committing the energy and financial resources required, you need to obtain a visa and to evaluate your ability to meet Berkeley Law’s total educational costs. You must be prepared to fund all of your academic and living expenses. Even students who receive some fellowship assistance must be prepared to provide the approximately $79,000 (U.S.) required per academic year for educational and living expenses.

If you are married and/or have children, an additional $7,000 is recommended for your spouse and an additional $4,000 is recommended for each child. These funds must be provided by either you or your sponsor. Berkeley Law does not provide full-tuition fellowships, tuition waivers, need-based grants, nor graduate teaching assistantships."

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they're saying you must provide proof of 79k x3 years, whether you got a scholarship or not...
rwajo12 wrote: Meaning to get accepted? That's not true.
Not to be accepted, but to be enrolled. Again, I could be wrong! (I hope so)

Or maybe that's just a Boalt thing?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 4:19 am

I don't think it means what you've taken it to mean - proof of 79 x 3. It also doesn't seem to be a precondition to enrolment or I-20 issuance (the document schools provide in support of student visa application.) It is more like a strongly worded suggestion ("must be prepared"). I am sure someone ITT is going to Berkeley and can comment on this. In any event, I would just write to them with the quote and ask if it means showing 79 x 3 and/or a precondition to enrollment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bettergnothiseauton

New

Post by bettergnothiseauton » Tue May 16, 2017 7:48 am

I am an international who got admitted into Berkeley this cycle. I ended up withdrawing as they were pretty stingy about their scholarship offer, but I was invested enough to be in a position to confirm freekick's intuition.

Boalt, being a public school with a relatively low endowment, wants to discourage international applicants who would apply counting on their substantial financial support. Because it's much harder for internationals to get a loan, people without a clear idea how they are going to finance their law school education are often forced to decline the offer, as the probability of them receiving substantial scholarship/financial aid is low. Being honest about this up front, Berkeley is protecting their yield.

So the quote from the website should indeed be read a strong suggestion. What matters is I-20 to get a student visa, and for that, it is enough to prove you have enough money for your first year of studies.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 am

bettergnothiseauton wrote:I am an international who got admitted into Berkeley this cycle. I ended up withdrawing as they were pretty stingy about their scholarship offer, but I was invested enough to be in a position to confirm freekick's intuition.

Boalt, being a public school with a relatively low endowment, wants to discourage international applicants who would apply counting on their substantial financial support. Because it's much harder for internationals to get a loan, people without a clear idea how they are going to finance their law school education are often forced to decline the offer, as the probability of them receiving substantial scholarship/financial aid is low. Being honest about this up front, Berkeley is protecting their yield.

So the quote from the website should indeed be read a strong suggestion. What matters is I-20 to get a student visa, and for that, it is enough to prove you have enough money for your first year of studies.
Deterrence does seem built into that line. Not for no reason Boalt isn't the top choice of international students.

InterLaw: Someone listed schools in terms of their intake of international students on one of the initial pages of this thread. Look it up. You should target schools with those stats in mind. Cornell/NU/Columbia/NYU/GULC/Harvard are in the top shelf with Penn/UVA at the bottom.

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Tue May 16, 2017 8:35 am

dayummm i just looked at that spreadsheet in the previous page and what a strange cycle it has been for INT applicants this year!

that guy with a 178 got close to striking out of the T-13 ;;;; dafuq's going on these days...

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 am

sanzgo wrote:dayummm i just looked at that spreadsheet in the previous page and what a strange cycle it has been for INT applicants this year!

that guy with a 178 got close to striking out of the T-13 ;;;; dafuq's going on these days...
This cycle has been a little wierd generally and more so for international applicants. Several explanations have been posited but nothing conclusive yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”