International Applicants 2016-17 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rwajo12

New

Re: International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Post by rwajo12 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm

InterLaw wrote:
freekick wrote: 1. You can see this cycle's outcomes for international applicants in the spreadsheet linked on the previous page of this thread. It includes scholarship info for some as well.
Right, I didn't notice the scholly info, thanks!
freekick wrote: 2. Can you link the webpage you read that on? Doubt it is true. As per the US government''s rules on student visa (which is non-immigrant), you need to show funds for a year of study (tuition+CoL). If you get scholarship​, then that amount is deducted from the estimate and you have to show funds for the balance amount.
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... -students/

"The financial resources required to attend Berkeley Law are substantial. Before committing the energy and financial resources required, you need to obtain a visa and to evaluate your ability to meet Berkeley Law’s total educational costs. You must be prepared to fund all of your academic and living expenses. Even students who receive some fellowship assistance must be prepared to provide the approximately $79,000 (U.S.) required per academic year for educational and living expenses.

If you are married and/or have children, an additional $7,000 is recommended for your spouse and an additional $4,000 is recommended for each child. These funds must be provided by either you or your sponsor. Berkeley Law does not provide full-tuition fellowships, tuition waivers, need-based grants, nor graduate teaching assistantships."

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they're saying you must provide proof of 79k x3 years, whether you got a scholarship or not...
rwajo12 wrote: Meaning to get accepted? That's not true.
Not to be accepted, but to be enrolled. Again, I could be wrong! (I hope so)

Or maybe that's just a Boalt thing?
To enroll yes you do, but just a year's worth. It's the same policy when you apply for an undergraduate degree at US schools as an international student.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 1:38 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
freekick wrote: 1. You can see this cycle's outcomes for international applicants in the spreadsheet linked on the previous page of this thread. It includes scholarship info for some as well.
freekick wrote: 2. Can you link the webpage you read that on? Doubt it is true. As per the US government''s rules on student visa (which is non-immigrant), you need to show funds for a year of study (tuition+CoL). If you get scholarship​, then that amount is deducted from the estimate and you have to show funds for the balance amount.

"The financial resources required to attend Berkeley Law are substantial. Before committing the energy and financial resources required, you need to obtain a visa and to evaluate your ability to meet Berkeley Law’s total educational costs. You must be prepared to fund all of your academic and living expenses. Even students who receive some fellowship assistance must be prepared to provide the approximately $79,000 (U.S.) required per academic year for educational and living expenses.

If you are married and/or have children, an additional $7,000 is recommended for your spouse and an additional $4,000 is recommended for each child. These funds must be provided by either you or your sponsor. Berkeley Law does not provide full-tuition fellowships, tuition waivers, need-based grants, nor graduate teaching assistantships."

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they're saying you must provide proof of 79k x3 years, whether you got a scholarship or not...

To enroll yes you do, but just a year's worth. It's the same policy when you apply for an undergraduate degree at US schools as an international student.
That's not the point. He was asking why Boalt is no factoring in the scholarship award while determining how much one has to show. So if award if 25k, then one needs to show 64. But Boalt says no, still 79. Anyway his query has been addressed.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue May 16, 2017 3:11 pm

So that's it. Not a big deal for me, Berk wouldn't take me anyway (strange bachelor situation, they are clearly the only one... but I'm not gonna start any argument on Boalt here).

So the question is: did you find this same situation anywhere else, or did your financial proof took into account the scholarship you received?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 8:43 pm

InterLaw wrote:So that's it. Not a big deal for me, Berk wouldn't take me anyway (strange bachelor situation, they are clearly the only one... but I'm not gonna start any argument on Boalt here).

So the question is: did you find this same situation anywhere else, or did your financial proof took into account the scholarship you received?
The proof takes into account scholarship everywhere.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed May 17, 2017 3:27 am

freekick wrote:
InterLaw wrote:So that's it. Not a big deal for me, Berk wouldn't take me anyway (strange bachelor situation, they are clearly the only one... but I'm not gonna start any argument on Boalt here).

The proof takes into account scholarship everywhere.
That's a relief!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:30 am

freekick wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
InterLaw wrote:

That's not the point. He was asking why Boalt is no factoring in the scholarship award while determining how much one has to show. So if award if 25k, then one needs to show 64. But Boalt says no, still 79. Anyway his query has been addressed.
Ah got it! My bad.

CatCalledBirdie

New

Post by CatCalledBirdie » Thu May 18, 2017 3:43 pm

UK LLB degree - First Class honours - from the Open University however.

LSAC evaluation academic -ability superior.

LSAT score 156 - was disappointed but relieved. Should have done better.

Applied to two Georgia schools and waitlisted for both (one of which breached their own early decision agreement by over six weeks!!!)

Do I apply to more schools? Retake the LSAT and try again next year? Am I at a disadvantage for being an international candidate? I don't have accolades or accomplishments, I worked full time and studied part time.

Feeling disheartened and lost! But this is the dream so...

marryJLP92

New

Post by marryJLP92 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Hey guys, UK applicant here (U.S. Citizen) -- getting my transcript evaluated in a month or so by LSAC.
Is it definitive that a first class honours is considered 'superior'? Have there been any *unlucky cases whereby it has been evaluated as above average?

cheers

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu May 18, 2017 8:45 pm

CatCalledBirdie wrote:UK LLB degree - First Class honours - from the Open University however.

LSAC evaluation academic -ability superior.

LSAT score 156 - was disappointed but relieved. Should have done better.

Applied to two Georgia schools and waitlisted for both (one of which breached their own early decision agreement by over six weeks!!!)

Do I apply to more schools? Retake the LSAT and try again next year? Am I at a disadvantage for being an international candidate? I don't have accolades or accomplishments, I worked full time and studied part time.

Feeling disheartened and lost! But this is the dream so...
Sorry about this cycle.

Absolutely retake, get 165 or more and reapply. LSAT will largely determine the outcome of your applications. We are certainly disadvantaged by lack of a numerical GPA. But we do bring marginal factors like diversity.

ETA: Also have a look at the spreadsheet linked on the previous page of this thread to get a sense of outcomes for different LSAT/UG combinations.
Last edited by freekick on Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

marryJLP92 wrote:Hey guys, UK applicant here (U.S. Citizen) -- getting my transcript evaluated in a month or so by LSAC.
Is it definitive that a first class honours is considered 'superior'? Have there been any *unlucky cases whereby it has been evaluated as above average?

cheers
Nothing is definitive when it comes to the LSAC. But I would be very surprised if your first class honors didn't translate into a Superior evaluation. And yes, people have had unexpected outcomes in this regard, both good and bad. I wasn't one of them but I know a few.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Guys I need some advice in deciding schools.

It's between GW ($) and GULC.

I know some people will automatically pick Georgetown due it's ranking, but I've heard from certain lawyers than outside of the YHS bubble, It's all about the grades you receive first year. I've heard about Georgetown being a cutthroat and cold environment. I loved GW when I visited, as it seemed like a positive environment with plenty of diversity and support. Let me know what you guys think. Any opinion is welcome.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed May 24, 2017 12:56 pm

rwajo12 wrote:Guys I need some advice in deciding schools.

I know some people will automatically pick Georgetown due it's ranking, but I've heard from certain lawyers than outside of the YHS bubble, It's all about the grades you receive first year. I've heard about Georgetown being a cutthroat and cold environment. I loved GW when I visited, as it seemed like a positive environment with plenty of diversity and support. Let me know what you guys think. Any opinion is welcome.
What are your career goals? And geographic preferences.

Both schools have big classes. At GULC you need to be top 35% for biglaw. Top 30% at GW. If biglaw is what you want, go to GW coz it is cheaper without​ a huge difference in biglaw chances.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 pm

freekick wrote:

Both schools have big classes. At GULC you need to be top 35% for biglaw. Top 30% at GW. If biglaw is what you want, go to GW coz it is cheaper without​ a huge difference in biglaw chances.
Big law as of now, to pay off the loans. I would like to remain in the Mid-Atlantic region if possible. So DC, New York. I assumed the big law chances were that drastically different, but I heard the environment was.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed May 24, 2017 1:32 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
freekick wrote:

Big law as of now, to pay off the loans. I would like to remain in the Mid-Atlantic region if possible. So DC, New York. I assumed the big law chances were that drastically different, but I heard the environment was.
You mean biglaw chances weren't* drastically different? What specifically do you mean by environment?
What's the difference in cost of attendance? If only 15-25k, then take GULC.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:13 pm

freekick wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
freekick wrote:

You mean biglaw chances weren't* drastically different? What specifically do you mean by environment?
Yes sorry meant, were not*. GW offered some merit amount so it will be cheaper to attend. In terms of environment I meant that GULC is one of the schools known for being thoroughly competitive in terms of access to jobs and what not

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
freekick wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
freekick wrote:

Yes sorry meant, were not*. GW offered some merit amount so it will be cheaper to attend. In terms of environment I meant that GULC is one of the schools known for being thoroughly competitive in terms of access to jobs and what not
Even so, that shouldn't influence your choice. The legal profession itself is thoroughly competitive.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm

freekick wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
freekick wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
freekick wrote:

Even so, that shouldn't influence your choice. The legal profession itself is thoroughly competitive.
It factors into my decision in terms of of first year grades. I've heard that top 10 percent at a t14 possibly translates into top 5 percent at a t30. Don't know how accurate that actually is, but that's where i was coming from.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:06 am

For those who are international students, does anyone know what biglaw prospects look like for us since our status is not as stable as those who are citizens or permanent residents

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:57 am

rwajo12 wrote:For those who are international students, does anyone know what biglaw prospects look like for us since our status is not as stable as those who are citizens or permanent residents
From whatever little info there is, the prospects seem to depend on things like grades, interviewing skills + English fluency, the practice area you are looking at and its connection to your home country, the market you are applying to (NY/DC/LA/Chi/SF etc) and ties to them and I am sure some others too.

See the following for 'some' discussion.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p9064970
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=277395

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:35 am

any internationals here who thought their cycle went below their numbers? anyone who performed at/above numbers here?

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:59 am

freekick wrote:
sanzgo wrote:dayummm i just looked at that spreadsheet in the previous page and what a strange cycle it has been for INT applicants this year!

that guy with a 178 got close to striking out of the T-13 ;;;; dafuq's going on these days...
This cycle has been a little wierd generally and more so for international applicants. Several explanations have been posited but nothing conclusive yet.
not close to the above score, but with a within t-13 score i struck out of all t-13s i applied to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:38 am

Hey guys, did someone who lives outside the US got into GULC last year? I just wanted to know if you received acceptance by regular mail!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”