International Applicants 2016-17 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:44 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Any idea when are the employment stats for 2016 class out? i know it would be out before April! Exact dates, anyone?
I think they should come out around the same time as the new USNEWS rankings, which I think are due to come out March 14~. I don't think they're all released at the same time though.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:07 pm

CA1993 wrote:
myrik wrote:
appind wrote:any late Jan applicants who have heard from T6?
I was mid-Jan, got a JS1, but that's it. Haven't heard from anything else!
Mid//late Jan and I'm in at CLS and NYU
stats?

madxkings

New

Post by madxkings » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:02 pm

appind wrote:any late Jan applicants who have heard from T6?
I applied mid-Jan, in at CLS. :)

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:04 am

In at Cornell after a hatrick of t14 waitlists. Massive relief.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Dinged at Stanford, totally expected but I'd figure I'd throw my app in the hat since I meet their median LSAT.

In at UT though!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cij

New

Post by Cij » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:13 am

Hi everyone,

I am an international applicant as well (AA). Honestly, I don't expect a lot from this cycle. My LSAT score is only 152. I submitted my app to NYU in December last year and got my UR2/3 two days ago. I also applied to Stanford. But I haven't heard anything from them since early January. I have a question regarding URM. Is that concept also applicable to some international students? Thank you in advance. I wish everyone in this thread the best of luck!

Best,

S

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:47 am

Cij wrote:Hi everyone,

I am an international applicant as well (AA). Honestly, I don't expect a lot from this cycle. My LSAT score is only 152. I submitted my app to NYU in December last year and got my UR2/3 two days ago. I also applied to Stanford. But I haven't heard anything from them since early January. I have a question regarding URM. Is that concept also applicable to some international students? Thank you in advance. I wish everyone in this thread the best of luck!

Best,

S
I think URM would be applicable to non-American applicants as well but the challenge would be in establishing that you are a URM applicant for the purposes of American law schools. I also think schools are likely to have different views on what they would consider URM outside of the US and what documentation would convince them of it.

No personal experience but sounds complex. Unless of course someone else on here knows better than my largely speculative view.

Edit: You should definitely consider writing to your target schools about this. Will get clear answers.

CA1993

New

Post by CA1993 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 am

The grading conversion that LSAC suggested for my international transcript would put my GPA as significantly lower (almost .4) than what is suggested by the university / suggested by law schools study abroad programs. Is it worth writing to LSAC and flagging this to the schools that I haven't been accepted to yet and/or in case I am waitlisted?

Or is this just a matter of you win some you lose some.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:56 am

CA1993 wrote:The grading conversion that LSAC suggested for my international transcript would put my GPA as significantly lower (almost .4) than what is suggested by the university / suggested by law schools study abroad programs. Is it worth writing to LSAC and flagging this to the schools that I haven't been accepted to yet and/or in case I am waitlisted?

I would do both, write to LSAC and flag to schools, coz the decrease is significant enough and bringing it to the schools' notice may get them to look beyond (not ignore) the LSAC GPA. Your worst case is it that it doesn't help you and the best is it somewhat does. No harm in sight. Write on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CA1993

New

Post by CA1993 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 am

freekick wrote:
CA1993 wrote:The grading conversion that LSAC suggested for my international transcript would put my GPA as significantly lower (almost .4) than what is suggested by the university / suggested by law schools study abroad programs. Is it worth writing to LSAC and flagging this to the schools that I haven't been accepted to yet and/or in case I am waitlisted?

I would do both, write to LSAC and flag to schools, coz the decrease is significant enough and bringing it to the schools' notice may get them to look beyond (not ignore) the LSAC GPA. Your worst case is it that it doesn't help you and the best is it somewhat does. No harm in sight. Write on.
I think I'm just nervous about annoying admissions while they're so busy. But also that .4 difference could be a major factor.. Thanks for the advice! Good to know at least you don't think I'll be annoying them

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 am

CA1993 wrote:
freekick wrote:

I think I'm just nervous about annoying admissions while they're so busy. But also that .4 difference could be a major factor.. Thanks for the advice! Good to know at least you don't think I'll be annoying them
This is serious stuff. They get get annoyed by frivolity.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 am

Has anyone filled out the DCF (Declaration of Finances) for I-20 issuance yet? I have a DCF related query I am unable to get an answer to. Please let me know if I can PM. Thanks a lot.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:02 am

freekick wrote:
galeatus wrote:
freekick wrote:Would be great if we start posting our outcomes school-wise. We could even compile it all later like the 2014-15 thread did.

I am a Jan applicant and have nothing so far.
Yeah I might get a spreadsheet up later or something, the 14-15 spreadsheet was incredibly helpful.

Fwiw, 171/AA, applied late Nov/Early Dec, dinged at Cornell and Penn, in at NU and GULC, still waiting on Duke/Berkeley/H/CCN
The Penn ding is not that surprising but Cornell is a bit of a shocker for 171/AA.
Hope everyone has most if not all decisions by now. Also hope people (pretty much) got what they wanted.

Galeatus, if you are still up for it, would you like to generate the spreadsheet you mentioned in the quoted post? We could have people input outcomes with usernames or anonymously, as they choose fit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:08 am

freekick wrote:
freekick wrote:
galeatus wrote:
freekick wrote:Would be great if we start posting our outcomes school-wise. We could even compile it all later like the 2014-15 thread did.

Yeah I might get a spreadsheet up later or something, the 14-15 spreadsheet was incredibly helpful.

Fwiw, 171/AA, applied late Nov/Early Dec, dinged at Cornell and Penn, in at NU and GULC, still waiting on Duke/Berkeley/H/CCN
The Penn ding is not that surprising but Cornell is a bit of a shocker for 171/AA.
Hope everyone has most if not all decisions by now. Also hope people (pretty much) got what they wanted.

Galeatus, if you are still up for it, would you like to generate the spreadsheet you mentioned in the quoted post? We could have people input outcomes with usernames or anonymously, as they choose fit.
Yeah sure! I'll put one together today

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:12 am

galeatus wrote:
freekick wrote:
freekick wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Thanks!

masterz

New

Post by masterz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:18 am

galeatus wrote:
freekick wrote:
freekick wrote:
galeatus wrote:

You da man, galeatus!

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:10 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Here it is, full credits to whoever created the 2014-15 spreadsheet (I basically just downloaded it, cleaned it, and reuploaded it)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 am

Just inputted my cycle data. Have only a couple of decisions left. Will update once I have them.

Good to see the participation there. Would request everyone ITT to take time and input their data for posterity's benefit. Thanks.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 am

Guys, for an international on a student visa interested in biglaw in corporate and transactional law, is it better to go for Fordham over GW Law with the same effective COA? I understand NYC is a slightly easier (less prestige-, ties -and grade-whore) market to break in and hence easier for internationals who want biglaw. Also, I understand firms in NYC would be more willing to send associates to other countries in case one doesn't get an H1B visa.
Your views, please. Thanks

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Guys, for an international on a student visa interested in biglaw in corporate and transactional law, is it better to go for Fordham over GW Law with the same effective COA? I understand NYC is a slightly easier (less prestige-, ties -and grade-whore) market to break in and hence easier for internationals who want biglaw. Also, I understand firms in NYC would be more willing to send associates to other countries in case one doesn't get an H1B visa.
Your views, please. Thanks
I'm going to give you my personal view as an associate at a biglaw in the corporate and transactional practices... I am an attorney in my country and I work at an international office of a global firm as an associate, and I must say GW has much more prestige here in this firm. Full disclosure: it is a Washington D.C. based law firm. But I don't think NYC is an easier market to break, and there are many opportunities for international lawyers (especially those with a JD) in D.C. Again, this is my opinion observing the D.C. market much closer than the NY one (although the firm does have an office in NYC).

What I would suggest is that you go to Vault and check the Top50 law firms' websites. Type "Fordham" and "GW" in the "education" box, and see how these firms react to both schools (that is, how many associates, especially young ones). Finally, I think it all comes down to where you think you want to live and practice law. Both schools hold some prestige in their respective markets, so I think it is a matter of regional taste.

Hope this helps. PM me if you would like to discuss more about the corporate and transactional practice. :)

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:14 pm

How does NY/DC biglaw view JDs who need work visa sponsorship? At OCI, how much of a disadvantage is the need for such sponsorship? Does it radically change the game? Would really appreciate if someone could shed light on this. Thanks a lot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:01 am

Applicant from the UK here - just discovered the thread so coming in late.

Had a really bad cycle that was unexpected so I'm trying to understand why.

AA/166
MA, industry publications, lived abroad, above average softs, great PS, human rights focus
Applied pretty late, around mid-Jan. Also applied for joint JD-PhD

Rejected at Stanford, NYU, Berkeley, Toronto. Waitlisted at UCLA

I'm getting the impression from the excel sheet and this thread that international admissions can be pretty random bc no GPA. Is this correct?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:09 am

pezberri wrote: I'm getting the impression from the excel sheet and this thread that international admissions can be pretty random bc no GPA. Is this correct?
Yes. Lack of a numerical GPA is major disadvantage, something I too figured out with a bad cycle. We don't help that median so the LSAT needs to be as high as you can make it. But even then outcomes are unpredictable​/random as you've noted in the spreadsheet. On top of all that, there seems to be some consensus that this cycle has been rather unusual.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 am

freekick wrote:
pezberri wrote: I'm getting the impression from the excel sheet and this thread that international admissions can be pretty random bc no GPA. Is this correct?
Yes. Lack of a numerical GPA is major disadvantage, something I too figured out with a bad cycle. We don't help that median so the LSAT needs to be as high as you can make it. But even then outcomes are unpredictable​/random as you've noted in the spreadsheet. On top of all that, there seems to be some consensus that this cycle has been rather unusual.
Thanks for the input.

My law school advisor has been saying that as well, from speaking to her colleagues. Like Trump has scared schools away from intl students? But apparently there's also been a larger than average applicant pool.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 am

potatocowpower wrote:High 170s/AA

Wait listed at Cornell, Penn, Northwestern
Dinged at Michigan

RIP self-esteem
yooooo :!: :!: :!:

That's crazy!! I'm so sorry

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.