International Applicants 2016-17 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cftvgybhu

New

Re: International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Post by cftvgybhu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 pm

freekick wrote:
cftvgybhu wrote:LSAT >75%, /superior,applied 1/17, sent Why UVA+DS, just got waitlisted at UVA.
still heard nothing from the other T14, so kind of in a complicated mood, a bit frustrated but not totally unexpected.
Though I heard that UVA has not been very friendly to international students, but i still want to ask,

1) is it because i am not good enough, or the school's YP? (Has anyone here admitted in UVA?)
2) Does anybody know the chance of ad after being waitlisted?
3) is it worth sending LOCI?

Thanks, would really appreciate if someone could talk about this. :cry:
1. There is a lot more (don't know what all) to it than just our LSAT scores and GPA evaluations, as a lot of us have been discovering in this thread this cycle. While nobody could say anything reasonable without looking at the entire app, in case of UVA one could assume their traditional lack of love for Internationals to be a (not the only or major) cause.

2. Chances of getting off the WL are highly unpredictable and vary cycle to cycle.

3. Do send a LOCI. Wouldn't hurt for sure. Can only help.

Sorry about your outcome at UVA. It has been one rough t14 ride for most internationals this year.
Thanks, hope that the other decisions would come with good news.

cftvgybhu

New

Post by cftvgybhu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:26 pm

freekick wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:unreported GPA's by school (2016 ABA 509 disclosures)

NYU 5
GULC 19
Duke 4
Berkeley 5
UT 1
UVA 0
Chicago 0
UMich 7
CLS 11
UPenn 0
Northwestern 16
HLS 26
Cornell 22

Making a grand total of! 116
What's up at Chicago Penn and UVA? May be they offer admission but without much scholly? No way to know whether they offer in the first place though.
Just check from the http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/ that Chicago LAW, there was actually 2 unreported GPA in 2016, and 2 in 2015, 3 in 2014.

Strangeland

New

Post by Strangeland » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Sorry about your WL cftvgybhu. I got admitted at UVA back in November, so at least they consider apps with no GPA. But again, there are so many factors at play..I got rejected at Michigan *shrug*

cftvgybhu

New

Post by cftvgybhu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Strangeland wrote:Sorry about your WL cftvgybhu. I got admitted at UVA back in November, so at least they consider apps with no GPA. But again, there are so many factors at play..I got rejected at Michigan *shrug*
:shock: :cry: hope that there is not something wrong in my app.
Congrats on your ad in UVA! and it makes "reject" in Michigan a bit surprising

plimpton

New

Post by plimpton » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:03 am

cftvgybhu wrote:LSAT >75%, /superior,applied 1/17, sent Why UVA+DS, just got waitlisted at UVA.
still heard nothing from the other T14, so kind of in a complicated mood, a bit frustrated but not totally unexpected.
Though I heard that UVA has not been very friendly to international students, but i still want to ask,

1) is it because i am not good enough, or the school's YP? (Has anyone here admitted in UVA?)

Hey if it makes you feel better I just got waitlisted at UVA but have been accepted into Columbia and NYU. It might just be a UVA thing? I wasn't that upset about it because of my other acceptances but I still do think it's a bit odd.

I'm also expecting, based off of a little research, that I'll get waitlisted at Penn and potentially Chicago but I guess we'll see.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cftvgybhu

New

Post by cftvgybhu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am

plimpton wrote:

Hey if it makes you feel better I just got waitlisted at UVA but have been accepted into Columbia and NYU. It might just be a UVA thing? I wasn't that upset about it because of my other acceptances but I still do think it's a bit odd.

I'm also expecting, based off of a little research, that I'll get waitlisted at Penn and potentially Chicago but I guess we'll see.
Thank you so much! Congrats to your ad in CLS and NYU!!! Hope that i could join you soon. honestly ,the waitlist from UVA is not that unexpected but still, as the first decision i got in my apps :?
Best to your other apps!

CA1993

New

Post by CA1993 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 am

Have any non-reporting GPAs heard back from HLS? Hard to know how different schools see internationals...

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am

CA1993 wrote:Have any non-reporting GPAs heard back from HLS? Hard to know how different schools see internationals...
I think Galetus had gotten a JS1!

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:09 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:
CA1993 wrote:Have any non-reporting GPAs heard back from HLS? Hard to know how different schools see internationals...
and a JS2 as well!

I guess this just shows how much of a black box International admissions can be - if I go by pure numbers I'd have a less than 10% chance, but I think not having a GPA will make them look at not only your LSAT more, but also your softs, which is lucky for me as I have softs that are, despite not being dazzling, pretty solid. Also, it seems that my AA eval didn't disadvantage me as much as I thought it would, so it gives so much more hope for all my fellow AAs out there!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cakerusk

New

Post by cakerusk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:13 am

Hi CA1993, I heard back from HLS with a JS2 yesterday (!!!!) PM me if you want any details. Wishing you good luck!!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 am

galeatus wrote:
and a JS2 as well!

I guess this just shows how much of a black box International admissions can be - if I go by pure numbers I'd have a less than 10% chance, but I think not having a GPA will make them look at not only your LSAT more, but also your softs, which is lucky for me as I have softs that are, despite not being dazzling, pretty solid. Also, it seems that my AA eval didn't disadvantage me as much as I thought it would, so it gives so much more hope for all my fellow AAs out there!
Dude! DUDE! I'm so happy for you (me). You've given me newfound hope amidst a swarm (5) rejections since our numbers are nearly the same. I'm not expecting HLS in the least, but now I can be a little more hopeful about the remaining schools. Congratulations!!!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:42 am

Congratulations, cakerusk and galeatus. Like pleasesendhelp I don't have the stats to get my hopes up but this is great news for internationals in general.

Hope we see more results posted ITT. So far I have WL at Northwestern, Michigan and UVA.

pitter

New

Post by pitter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 am

galeatus wrote:
and a JS2 as well!

Congrats Galetus!!!
Does this mean that having below par soft lower chance for T14 even with high LSAT and superior GPA?
Last edited by pitter on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:00 am

Congratulations Galeatus and cakerusk!! fantastic news for you guys and for your waiting international brethren!!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:11 am

pitter wrote:
galeatus wrote:
and a JS2 as well!

Does this mean that having below par soft lower chance for T14 even with high LSAT and superior GPA?
I think the point Galeatus was trying to make was great numbers aren't an absolute necessity and they might consider softs etc too (for instance in case the numbers are borderline). In case you have great numbers, it obviously gives you a jumpstart! and softs are anyway so subjective. you never know what the adcoms or the faculty (in case of YLS, Cal etc) may end up liking in what we consider as below par softs. certainly depends on the applicant pool.

If I were in the adcom, I would not classify softs as unique, good, below par etc. but by the selling point of each applicant - " guy with 10 research papers", "guy with military experience", "girl who survived cancer and founded an NGO" or simply "the girl who participated in a lot of things and followed her passions".

We are all speculating anyway but it's no secret that unlike business school admissions, law school admissions give more weightage to numbers and having high numbers certainly helps. Good luck!

CA1993

New

Post by CA1993 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:40 am

Congrats to both of you on getting in!!!! And selfishly for keeping the hope alive for the rest of us!!

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks everyone! :D :D

So to sum it up, in the past two cycles, HLS has accepted two 170/AAs, one 171/AA, and one 172/AA, that's only counting TLSers.
Those with below median numbers, keep your hopes high! And those with great numbers, you should keep your hopes even higher!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 pm

galeatus wrote:Thanks everyone! :D :D

So to sum it up, in the past two cycles, HLS has accepted two 170/AAs, one 171/AA, and one 172/AA, that's only counting TLSers.
Those with below median numbers, keep your hopes high! And those with great numbers, you should keep your hopes even higher!
I am pleasantly surprised by the following: You get dinged by Cornell but accepted by Harvard. Makes for a 5 star resolve the paradox question. Thoughts anyone?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm

freekick wrote:

I am pleasantly surprised by the following: You get dinged by Cornell but accepted by Harvard. Makes for a 5 star resolve the paradox question. Thoughts anyone?
Cornell does not offer need-based aid or loans to international students, so perhaps they only take international applicants who can get close to full rides.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:41 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
freekick wrote:

Cornell does not offer need-based aid or loans to international students, so perhaps they only take international applicants who can get close to full rides.
I frankly never thought about that angle at all. Sounds interesting coz it addresses YP as well.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:22 am

freekick wrote:

congrats..

dates for submit, complete?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:25 am

any late Jan applicants who have heard from T6?

myrik

New

Post by myrik » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:52 am

appind wrote:any late Jan applicants who have heard from T6?
I was mid-Jan, got a JS1, but that's it. Haven't heard from anything else!

CA1993

New

Post by CA1993 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 am

myrik wrote:
appind wrote:any late Jan applicants who have heard from T6?
I was mid-Jan, got a JS1, but that's it. Haven't heard from anything else!
Mid//late Jan and I'm in at CLS and NYU

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Any idea when are the employment stats for 2016 class out? i know it would be out before April! Exact dates, anyone?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”