Wake Law c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bbmayes

New

Re: Wake Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by bbmayes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 pm

I wouldn't trust the checker, it has gone back and forth several times between under review and decision rendered. Something is off.

JDH2277

New

Post by JDH2277 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 pm

In with 35k! Visited campus a couple weeks ago and was very impressed.

bbmayes

New

Post by bbmayes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:34 pm

In with 32k

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:43 am

In with 40k.

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Dear TLSers~

Greetings from Winston Salem! I am the dean for admissions and financial aid here at the law school. I want to apologize for the confusion this week regarding admit and scholarship letters. There have been some recent software updates that impacted the way we process and send out these emails. We expected to have everyone's decisions out last Friday, but had to be sure everything was accurately processed so that each of you would receive the offer intended for you.

I realize at this time of the year a couple of days of ambiguity can cause undue stress. Our priority is to make the admission process at Wake Forest as transparent and stress-free as possible. We could have done better work this week.

In addition to decision letters and scholarship awards we also sent out some letters letting a portion of our applicant pool know that we needed some additional time to make a decision on their file. Please know that we value each of you and appreciate your interest in Wake Forest Law. Still we have a range of institutional goals that we are tasked with achieving and sometimes that means a delay in making a decision on a group of applicants.

Please feel free to call me directly if you have any questions about your individual application. I'll do what I can to clarify the status of any outstanding decision or to illuminate our processes and protocols.

Warmest regards,
Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
(336) 758-5705 direct
jayshively@wfu.edu
law.wfu.edu

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:58 pm

WakeLawAdmDean wrote:Dear TLSers~

Greetings from Winston Salem! I am the dean for admissions and financial aid here at the law school. I want to apologize for the confusion this week regarding admit and scholarship letters. There have been some recent software updates that impacted the way we process and send out these emails. We expected to have everyone's decisions out last Friday, but had to be sure everything was accurately processed so that each of you would receive the offer intended for you.

I realize at this time of the year a couple of days of ambiguity can cause undue stress. Our priority is to make the admission process at Wake Forest as transparent and stress-free as possible. We could have done better work this week.

In addition to decision letters and scholarship awards we also sent out some letters letting a portion of our applicant pool know that we needed some additional time to make a decision on their file. Please know that we value each of you and appreciate your interest in Wake Forest Law. Still we have a range of institutional goals that we are tasked with achieving and sometimes that means a delay in making a decision on a group of applicants.

Please feel free to call me directly if you have any questions about your individual application. I'll do what I can to clarify the status of any outstanding decision or to illuminate our processes and protocols.

Warmest regards,
Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
(336) 758-5705 direct
jayshively@wfu.edu
law.wfu.edu
Classy move by my alma mater. Go Deacs!

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm another current 3L and happy to answer questions. Congrats to you admits!

sethnoorzad

New

Post by sethnoorzad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:21 pm

AT9 wrote:I'm another current 3L and happy to answer questions. Congrats to you admits!
Hello! I live all the way in Reno, NV and I've never been to NC. Looking forward to visiting though.

What is Winston-Salem like? What kind of cultural attractions can you go to? Kind of particular, but do you know if there is a classical music scene? I feel like I heard something about NC having a lot of classical concerts but maybe I was imagining that.

What is the culture of Wake Forest and the law school like? Do you think people tend to be more liberal or conservative?

Thanks!

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:31 pm

sethnoorzad wrote:
AT9 wrote:I'm another current 3L and happy to answer questions. Congrats to you admits!
Hello! I live all the way in Reno, NV and I've never been to NC. Looking forward to visiting though.

What is Winston-Salem like? What kind of cultural attractions can you go to? Kind of particular, but do you know if there is a classical music scene? I feel like I heard something about NC having a lot of classical concerts but maybe I was imagining that.

What is the culture of Wake Forest and the law school like? Do you think people tend to be more liberal or conservative?

Thanks!
Went there for undergrad. Do you like cigarettes? Do you like nothing else? Welcome to Winston Salem!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sethnoorzad

New

Post by sethnoorzad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 pm

88234 wrote:
sethnoorzad wrote:

Thanks!
Went there for undergrad. Do you like cigarettes? Do you like nothing else? Welcome to Winston Salem!
I definitely used to before I quit smoking lol... trying to avoid going back to that. Surely there's got to be some other things people do.... At least while they're smoking ? :lol:

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:18 pm

sethnoorzad wrote:
88234 wrote:
sethnoorzad wrote:

Thanks!
I definitely used to before I quit smoking lol... trying to avoid going back to that. Surely there's got to be some other things people do.... At least while they're smoking ? :lol:
I was joking. Downtown WS is actually pretty cool; it has a nice growing arts community and a few cool bars. Wake is super fratty, so prepare for that. PM me if you want more details or have specific questions.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:01 pm

88234 wrote:
sethnoorzad wrote:

Thanks!
Don't listen to the poster with the small hands. We have more than cigarettes; we also have Krispy Kreme and Hanes underwear.

But really, I would agree that Winston is nice but not super eventful. There are some cool bars/breweries downtown, good local restaurants, and great hiking about 30 minutes north of campus. It's a little different from most NC cities in that (1) it's probably the second hilliest city in the state behind Asheville; (2) it used to be a big industrial town (Reynolds/Hanes), which gives the city a more gritty and real vibe than someplace like Charlotte, Greensboro, or Raleigh; and (3) it was founded in the mid-1700s, so there are some neat historical areas (Old Salem, Bethabara). The UNC School of the Arts is in Winston, so that offers a good deal of cultural events like plays and concerts. Wake is also a DI school, so there are basketball and football games you can attend for free (but don't expect an atmosphere like Ohio State or Bama...). Finally, the Winston-Salem MSA (not counting Greensboro/High Point) is like 650,000, so you have all the standard shopping and dining options of a city that size.

Wake itself, as noted above, is fratty and rich--one of the wealthiest undergrads in the country, in fact. So, for someone like me, I feel out of place on the estate-like campus full of rich kids. The law school itself still has a bunch of wealthy students, but it's definitely more economically diverse than the undergrad student body. It's a small school, so you'll get to know a lot of professors and students. I like the school environment for the most part.

TLSclique

New

Post by TLSclique » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:20 pm

In w/ 20k a year

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WakeLaw16

New

Post by WakeLaw16 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Recent graduate here. Happy to answer any questions.

emilycyoung1

New

Post by emilycyoung1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:41 pm

WakeLaw16 wrote:Recent graduate here. Happy to answer any questions.
Hi, I wanted to ask, can you negotiate with the admissions people at Wake to up the amount of your scholarship?

WakeLaw16

New

Post by WakeLaw16 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:47 pm

emilycyoung1 wrote:
Hi, I wanted to ask, can you negotiate with the admissions people at Wake to up the amount of your scholarship?
I didn't when I was admitted, but I am sure that you can. You just need an offer from a comparable or better school that Wake would be willing to up its offer for. A lot of this probably depends on the cycle and how much Wake has left in scholarship money.

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:58 am

I'm going next weekend to the Admitted Students Day, any current or former students have any places that I should definitely check out? WF remains one of my top choices so I am hoping this weekend gives me a good idea of the school and if I want to attend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:01 pm

jag13 wrote:I'm going next weekend to the Admitted Students Day, any current or former students have any places that I should definitely check out? WF remains one of my top choices so I am hoping this weekend gives me a good idea of the school and if I want to attend.
Single Brothers is the best bar. Dioli's has the best sandwiches.

/thread.

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:02 pm

What city do most grads practice in?

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:05 pm

88234 wrote:In with 40k.
Stats? Trying to see my bargain power (in with 30k)

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Does wake send any snail mail acceptance letter?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WakeLaw16

New

Post by WakeLaw16 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:28 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:
I'm in Charlotte and there's a decent amount of grads here. Wake is kind of unique because it seems to attract a lot of people from out of state, so a lot of them moved back after graduating.

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:56 pm

WakeLaw16 wrote:
emilycc1026 wrote:
I'm in Charlotte and there's a decent amount of grads here. Wake is kind of unique because it seems to attract a lot of people from out of state, so a lot of them moved back after graduating.

Oh awesome. I love the Charlotte area. Thanks for the response! I'm from Florida so that's cool that you mentioned graduates moving back.

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:48 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:Does wake send any snail mail acceptance letter?
Not sure if they still do, but I got one about a week or so after an electronic decision.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Tons of Floridians at Wake (including me!)
emilycc1026 wrote:
WakeLaw16 wrote:
emilycc1026 wrote:

Oh awesome. I love the Charlotte area. Thanks for the response! I'm from Florida so that's cool that you mentioned graduates moving back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”