UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ferrisjso

Gold

Re: UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017)

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Do I have to get a license if I don't drive? I'm already registered. I have heard good things about student services so what you are saying really affirms that. Still residency is a 60k question mark for me and I want to be dot my i's and cross my t's as much as humanely possible.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Stylnator wrote:A car is essential in CT. You might be able to get by in NY but for law school there are lots of events and stuff for which personal transportation is key. And groceries will be hard to find on foot if you're going to live super close to campus to make up for the lack of a car.

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail
I hope those things aren't mandatory then, that'd be pretty unfair!(I don't understand why anyone would set up events that only drivers would be able to attend, that seems pretty discriminatory, I hope you're wrong about that). The main attraction of UCONN was that Hartford apparently has a great and easy to use public transit system. When I go visit I'm going to ask them how walker friendly they are because if they think everyone should/needs to drive that's probably a deal breaker for me. I'm very frugal with eating(not worried about groceries) and am confident that if Hartford is more walker friendly than Hamden that I should be fine(because Hamden is doable without a car even though it's more difficult than I'd like). NYC might be easier in this regard and Cardozo and Brooklyn might have offered me more money but CT is beating NY in just about every other category that matters to me right now(I want to live in CT and I like the atmosphere both social and literal much more) so despite that I'm still leaning towards attending UCONN. There's also the VA schools but I haven't heard back from any of them yet and I can't imagine it's easier to not drive there than in CT if anything it'd be about the same.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:A car is essential in CT. You might be able to get by in NY but for law school there are lots of events and stuff for which personal transportation is key. And groceries will be hard to find on foot if you're going to live super close to campus to make up for the lack of a car.

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail
I hope those things aren't mandatory then, that'd be pretty unfair!(I don't understand why anyone would set up events that only drivers would be able to attend, that seems pretty discriminatory, I hope you're wrong about that). The main attraction of UCONN was that Hartford apparently has a great and easy to use public transit system. When I go visit I'm going to ask them how walker friendly they are because if they think everyone should/needs to drive that's probably a deal breaker for me. I'm very frugal with eating(not worried about groceries) and am confident that if Hartford is more walker friendly than Hamden that I should be fine(because Hamden is doable without a car even though it's more difficult than I'd like). NYC might be easier in this regard and Cardozo and Brooklyn might have offered me more money but CT is beating NY in just about every other category that matters to me right now(I want to live in CT and I like the atmosphere both social and literal much more) so despite that I'm still leaning towards attending UCONN. There's also the VA schools but I haven't heard back from any of them yet and I can't imagine it's easier to not drive there than in CT if anything it'd be about the same.

First, UConn is not exactly in Hartford. It is closer to West Hartford. It's not directly in the city where you might think it's walker friendly. It's more right off of a suburb. I'm not too familiar with public transit, I know CT has been trying to do better but I haven't lived there for a while now. It's my top choice right now and a very good CT school so I hope you end up going.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail

First, UConn is not exactly in Hartford. It is closer to West Hartford. It's not directly in the city where you might think it's walker friendly. It's more right off of a suburb. I'm not too familiar with public transit, I know CT has been trying to do better but I haven't lived there for a while now. It's my top choice right now and a very good CT school so I hope you end up going.
I hope I end up going to! Btw congrats on your acceptance!

thefuturewoods

New

Post by thefuturewoods » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Sorry that this is a little off of the current topic, but anyone have some insight on how long it takes to go from UR2 to decision? Just had my date changed today :shock: :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 am

Stylnator wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail

I thought the campus was being moved to downtown?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:58 am

em15 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail

Haven't heard anything about this. It would be quite a shame as they have one of the most beautiful law campuses in the country.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:17 pm

em15 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail

Unsure where you heard this.... I think you're referring to thishttp://fox61.com/2015/04/29/plan-approv ... -hartford/. Which is one of the University's satellite campuses rather than the law school.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:29 pm

snw2367 wrote:
em15 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail

Unsure where you heard this.... I think you're referring to thishttp://fox61.com/2015/04/29/plan-approv ... -hartford/. Which is one of the University's satellite campuses rather than the law school.
Well QU had a nice law school and they got rid of it within 20 years of it's construction when they got prime new real estate. Not inconceivable UCONN would do the same although I've heard UCONN is absolutely gorgeous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:28 pm

How long did it take to receive scholarship info? Got accepted a couple days ago, I thought they would do priority mail but I guess not?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Stylnator wrote:How long did it take to receive scholarship info? Got accepted a couple days ago, I thought they would do priority mail but I guess not?
Came via ordinary mail with the acceptance letter. It was not mentioned in the acceptance email. It should be coming on Monday. I got my email on a Thursday and the package came in the following Tuesday I think.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:19 pm

snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Got my scholarship. Sadly seeing as I'm out of state it doesn't look like it would be affordable to attend(if I lived in state it would be half tuition). There is the possibility that I can get in state residency my second year(which would certainly make it much more affordable) but I don't know how sure a thing that is. I don't want to write of a school I'm actually quite fond of, so I'm going to try to figure out how likely it is I'll be able to become a CT resident. Does anyone know the policy for that(I'm attending UG in CT and I vote in CT)or at least where I can find it? A friend also offered to let me stay with them for LS if I were to attend UCONN, would that also affect my in state eligibility? Without the scholarship right now Cardozo seems to be a more affordable option but there is a big part of me that wants to stay in CT and practice there.
Since you've been living here presumably for four years AND vote in CT, I'd wonder if you could already claim instate..
While I have been living here for 4 years and I also have been voting here ever since, I still can't unfortunately for my first year:( I can't be a dependent on my parents taxes among other things. I am leaning very heavily towards wanting to stay in Connecticut and if UCONN raises my offer to about 20k or a little more, I will be more willing to take the 30-60k risk of not getting residency. I also got into QU today so I have a second option in the state and I got almost a full ride. Seeing that it's conditional upon me being in the top half, there is a scenario where QU will actually cost more than UCONN so if I stay in Connecticut I'm leaning towards UCONN.

I honestly think I'd risk not getting residency and go to UCONN over Quinnipiac. I think it has a better reputation if you want to stay local. My scholarship was conditional from Quinnipiac as well, didn't love that either.
If they give a little more(like 20k a year) I'll probably do it. A potential additional 60k for me is alot of uncertainty when I'm already north of 100k. Certainly leaning towards UCONN over QU, for me the worst case scenario at QU being worse than the best case scenario at UCONN is pretty hard to justify seeing their employment stats. I'm a little attached to QU because it's my alma matter and I'm getting depressed about leaving(which is why I applied) but UCONN is clearly a better school. Also I don't drive and I've heard Hartford is more walker friendly. That might seem silly but how easy it is to get around without a car is a vital part of my decision.

Hartford is a bit more walker friendly, I suppose, than QU... but it should be noted in CT you'll be heavily inconvenienced w/out a car for normal non-law school tasks like groceries and accessing wonderful stores like CostCo! (lol) Do you at least bike?
I lived down the street from UCONN law for about 4 years during undergrads. First, technically the school is in Hartford but its not in downtown, it might as well be in West Hartford its so close. So it would be like not having a car in a suburb. If you were to be more downtown it would be possible to live without a car but I wouldn't recommend it.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:23 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Got my scholarship. Sadly seeing as I'm out of state it doesn't look like it would be affordable to attend(if I lived in state it would be half tuition). There is the possibility that I can get in state residency my second year(which would certainly make it much more affordable) but I don't know how sure a thing that is. I don't want to write of a school I'm actually quite fond of, so I'm going to try to figure out how likely it is I'll be able to become a CT resident. Does anyone know the policy for that(I'm attending UG in CT and I vote in CT)or at least where I can find it? A friend also offered to let me stay with them for LS if I were to attend UCONN, would that also affect my in state eligibility? Without the scholarship right now Cardozo seems to be a more affordable option but there is a big part of me that wants to stay in CT and practice there.
Since you've been living here presumably for four years AND vote in CT, I'd wonder if you could already claim instate..
While I have been living here for 4 years and I also have been voting here ever since, I still can't unfortunately for my first year:( I can't be a dependent on my parents taxes among other things. I am leaning very heavily towards wanting to stay in Connecticut and if UCONN raises my offer to about 20k or a little more, I will be more willing to take the 30-60k risk of not getting residency. I also got into QU today so I have a second option in the state and I got almost a full ride. Seeing that it's conditional upon me being in the top half, there is a scenario where QU will actually cost more than UCONN so if I stay in Connecticut I'm leaning towards UCONN.

I honestly think I'd risk not getting residency and go to UCONN over Quinnipiac. I think it has a better reputation if you want to stay local. My scholarship was conditional from Quinnipiac as well, didn't love that either.
If they give a little more(like 20k a year) I'll probably do it. A potential additional 60k for me is alot of uncertainty when I'm already north of 100k. Certainly leaning towards UCONN over QU, for me the worst case scenario at QU being worse than the best case scenario at UCONN is pretty hard to justify seeing their employment stats. I'm a little attached to QU because it's my alma matter and I'm getting depressed about leaving(which is why I applied) but UCONN is clearly a better school. Also I don't drive and I've heard Hartford is more walker friendly. That might seem silly but how easy it is to get around without a car is a vital part of my decision.

Hartford is a bit more walker friendly, I suppose, than QU... but it should be noted in CT you'll be heavily inconvenienced w/out a car for normal non-law school tasks like groceries and accessing wonderful stores like CostCo! (lol) Do you at least bike?
I lived down the street from UCONN law for about 4 years during undergrads. First, technically the school is in Hartford but its not in downtown, it might as well be in West Hartford its so close. So it would be like not having a car in a suburb. If you were to be more downtown it would be possible to live without a car but I wouldn't recommend it.
Well I can't drive so it's not like I have a choice, is it doable or not and is it a sure thing I'll be able to get housing from where I can walk(or take the bus, which was one of the main appeals of the Hartford area for me)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:34 pm

I honestly think I'd risk not getting residency and go to UCONN over Quinnipiac. I think it has a better reputation if you want to stay local. My scholarship was conditional from Quinnipiac as well, didn't love that either.[/quote]

If they give a little more(like 20k a year) I'll probably do it. A potential additional 60k for me is alot of uncertainty when I'm already north of 100k. Certainly leaning towards UCONN over QU, for me the worst case scenario at QU being worse than the best case scenario at UCONN is pretty hard to justify seeing their employment stats. I'm a little attached to QU because it's my alma matter and I'm getting depressed about leaving(which is why I applied) but UCONN is clearly a better school. Also I don't drive and I've heard Hartford is more walker friendly. That might seem silly but how easy it is to get around without a car is a vital part of my decision.[/quote]

Hartford is a bit more walker friendly, I suppose, than QU... but it should be noted in CT you'll be heavily inconvenienced w/out a car for normal non-law school tasks like groceries and accessing wonderful stores like CostCo! (lol) Do you at least bike?[/quote]

I lived down the street from UCONN law for about 4 years during undergrads. First, technically the school is in Hartford but its not in downtown, it might as well be in West Hartford its so close. So it would be like not having a car in a suburb. If you were to be more downtown it would be possible to live without a car but I wouldn't recommend it.[/quote]

Well I can't drive so it's not like I have a choice, is it doable or not and is it a sure thing I'll be able to get housing from where I can walk(or take the bus)?[/quote]

I lived on Whitney St. which was a couple of blocks away. There are tons of houses that have been converted to apartments and a few apartment complexes. So housing wouldn't be an issue, you would be able to to find something that you could walk to the campus. There is a CVS in the area within walking distance along with a few bars and fast food. The closest grocery store to that area is not within walking distance, but you could always have groceries delivered from Peapod or Shoprite. So yes it is possible and there is public transportation but it would just be a matter of whether you would want to.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Ferrisjso, I highly recommend you take a trip out to UConn and judge the campus layout for yourself. Each person is different but it's definitely not a good idea to commit to a school if you are uncertain about whether a car would severely impact your day to day in law school.

Then again, if the other option is to just go to QU then you need to make sure you are getting as much money from them as possible. Their stats are miserable.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Stylnator wrote:Ferrisjso, I highly recommend you take a trip out to UConn and judge the campus layout for yourself. Each person is different but it's definitely not a good idea to commit to a school if you are uncertain about whether a car would severely impact your day to day in law school.

Then again, if the other option is to just go to QU then you need to make sure you are getting as much money from them as possible. Their stats are miserable.
If I stay in Connecticut, I am leaning heavily towards UCONN over QU from what you and Jr have told me it sounds doable but not easy(I didn't expect it to be though and I've gotten some good practice this year!). At QU I'm getting close to a full ride but the condition's are rather steep. Again, even a little more money would seal the deal(and I feel I have a good case) but right now the main thing preventing me from making a decision is that I haven't heard back from the VA schools one of which I ED'd to. I really hope to be attending UCONN in the fall and look forward to meeting you both! I plan on making a trip to UCONN soon.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:14 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Ferrisjso, I highly recommend you take a trip out to UConn and judge the campus layout for yourself. Each person is different but it's definitely not a good idea to commit to a school if you are uncertain about whether a car would severely impact your day to day in law school.

If I stay in Connecticut, I am leaning heavily towards UCONN over QU from what you and Jr have told me it sounds doable but not easy(I didn't expect it to be though and I've gotten some good practice this year!). At QU I'm getting close to a full ride but the condition's are rather steep. Again, even a little more money would seal the deal(and I feel I have a good case) but right now the main thing preventing me from making a decision is that I haven't heard back from the VA schools one of which I ED'd to. I really hope to be attending UCONN in the fall and look forward to meeting you both! I plan on making a trip to UCONN soon.

I agree with taking a trip out to all the schools. I had the advantage of applying in areas that I was familiar with, but if the case was otherwise I would make a visit to every school in consideration. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Stylnator wrote:How long did it take to receive scholarship info? Got accepted a couple days ago, I thought they would do priority mail but I guess not?
I got an e-mail with acceptance first, followed by a phone call a day or so later telling me I got chosen for a full-ride. When the physical acceptance came, it was listed there as well.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:24 pm

snw2367 wrote:
I got an e-mail with acceptance first, followed by a phone call a day or so later telling me I got chosen for a full-ride. When the physical acceptance came, it was listed there as well.
Was your email like super informal? Mine had no emblem, no school signature, just like a congrats from the admissions chair and a line saying to expect a formal acceptance. I thought it was kind of weird

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Got my packet in the mail today!! They made it fancy I loved it!

Full tuition, so excited!!

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Stylnator wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Was your email like super informal? Mine had no emblem, no school signature, just like a congrats from the admissions chair and a line saying to expect a formal acceptance. I thought it was kind of weird
LOL, YES! I was very unenthused by it tbh because I had received a formal one with lots of information from Tulane the day before. Granted, I guess it's a lot easier to make NOLA seem exciting than Hartford. The actual packet was much nicer. I appreciated the lanyard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:16 pm

Stylnator wrote:Got my packet in the mail today!! They made it fancy I loved it!

You and me both! Where is UConn on your list?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:22 pm

snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Got my packet in the mail today!! They made it fancy I loved it!

Top of the list right now. Family & friends are in CT, and I think I'd like to do public interest in Hartford. My numbers aren't great for T14 so even if I do get in it'll be at sticker. It'll be very hard to pull me away from UConn. Where does it stand for you?

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 pm

Stylnator wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

Top of the list right now. Family & friends are in CT, and I think I'd like to do public interest in Hartford. My numbers aren't great for T14 so even if I do get in it'll be at sticker. It'll be very hard to pull me away from UConn. Where does it stand for you?
Top for me as well- the $$ pulled it up there. Family and friends are also in CT. Grew up there. My boyfriend was already looking at South Windsor (Pratt Whitney/UTC etc) for jobs, so it ended up lining up perfectly. I haven't deposited though yet. I think I'm going to shadow a friend who's a 1L there and only then cough up the cash haha

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:30 pm

snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

Top for me as well- the $$ pulled it up there. Family and friends are also in CT. Grew up there. My boyfriend was already looking at South Windsor (Pratt Whitney/UTC etc) for jobs, so it ended up lining up perfectly. I haven't deposited though yet. I think I'm going to shadow a friend who's a 1L there and only then cough up the cash haha
Ahh I wish I could do that! Working in the midwest right now. Sounds like you have a lot of ties in CT as well so UConn is def perfect!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”