UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snw2367

New

Re: UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017)

Post by snw2367 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Stylnator wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Got my packet in the mail today!! They made it fancy I loved it!

Full tuition, so excited!!
You and me both! Where is UConn on your list?
Top of the list right now. Family & friends are in CT, and I think I'd like to do public interest in Hartford. My numbers aren't great for T14 so even if I do get in it'll be at sticker. It'll be very hard to pull me away from UConn. Where does it stand for you?
Top for me as well- the $$ pulled it up there. Family and friends are also in CT. Grew up there. My boyfriend was already looking at South Windsor (Pratt Whitney/UTC etc) for jobs, so it ended up lining up perfectly. I haven't deposited though yet. I think I'm going to shadow a friend who's a 1L there and only then cough up the cash haha
Ahh I wish I could do that! Working in the midwest right now. Sounds like you have a lot of ties in CT as well so UConn is def perfect!
Yea! I'm in Boston and always thought I'd end up in a Boston law school (BC is my UG) but this works splendidly well. The full tuition can't be beat.

aep09014

New

Post by aep09014 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 am

Ferrisjso wrote:Do I have to get a license if I don't drive? I'm already registered. I have heard good things about student services so what you are saying really affirms that. Still residency is a 60k question mark for me and I want to be dot my i's and cross my t's as much as humanely possible.
I don't think that they would require you to get a license if you don't already have one. The point is just to see a commitment to the state of CT. The best option would be to give student services a quick call and have them tell you exactly what you would need to do.

Also - you can ask Admissions to place you on the housing list, and they will email you housing resources and let you know when apartments close to campus are being advertised. The closest apartments to campus are about $600/month, basically you share a house with a few other people, often law school students. Chances are one of those people would have a vehicle and you can do grocery shopping and other things together. There are a lot of people here from out of state who do not have vehicles but make it work just fine. Honestly most of your days will be studying and going to class - not a lot of driving.

Finally - the law school is not moving. The campus is GORGEOUS and all of the buildings were recently renovated.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 am

aep09014 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Do I have to get a license if I don't drive? I'm already registered. I have heard good things about student services so what you are saying really affirms that. Still residency is a 60k question mark for me and I want to be dot my i's and cross my t's as much as humanely possible.
I don't think that they would require you to get a license if you don't already have one. The point is just to see a commitment to the state of CT. The best option would be to give student services a quick call and have them tell you exactly what you would need to do.

Also - you can ask Admissions to place you on the housing list, and they will email you housing resources and let you know when apartments close to campus are being advertised. The closest apartments to campus are about $600/month, basically you share a house with a few other people, often law school students. Chances are one of those people would have a vehicle and you can do grocery shopping and other things together. There are a lot of people here from out of state who do not have vehicles but make it work just fine. Honestly most of your days will be studying and going to class - not a lot of driving.

Finally - the law school is not moving. The campus is GORGEOUS and all of the buildings were recently renovated.
Only $600/month?? Even for a house that seems so low! I currently pay almost $1200/one bedroom so maybe I have tunnel vision but still. I'm going to miss working and being able to afford living by myself :cry:

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 am

Stylnator wrote:
aep09014 wrote:

Only $600/month?? Even for a house that seems so low! I currently pay almost $1200/one bedroom so maybe I have tunnel vision but still. I'm going to miss working and being able to afford living by myself :cry:
You can find a nice two bedroom in a 20 min radius of Hartford for $1000/mo. Makes me cringe at Boston rates (2.5x that for a decent apt.).

On a totally different note, I can't imagine not having either a) a large public transit system or b) a car. Kudos to those who can swing it without issues.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:48 am

snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
aep09014 wrote:

You can find a nice two bedroom in a 20 min radius of Hartford for $1000/mo. Makes me cringe at Boston rates (2.5x that for a decent apt.).

On a totally different note, I can't imagine not having either a) a large public transit system or b) a car. Kudos to those who can swing it without issues.
That sounds wonderful! I believe I can get by on about 60% the 509's estimates if that is true.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aep09014

New

Post by aep09014 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:50 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
aep09014 wrote:

That sounds wonderful! I believe I can get by on about 60% the 509's estimates if that is true.
People coming to UConn Law are generally really surprised by how reasonable the rents are. A friend of mine pays about $1500/month for a one bedroom apartment but her building has valet parking, a garage, a pool, and a gym. So there are more high-rise style apartment buildings in Hartford, for varying rents, or you can rent a bedroom in a house with other students in the area right around the law school. Other people get small one or two bedroom apartments in West Hartford or surrounding areas, since West Hartford (you'll hear it referred to as WeHa) is just a really nice area to live, and they either live alone or with other young professionals. Another reason Uber is huge in WeHa/Hartford area - there are a lot of really nice restaurants and bars so students Uber so they can drink.

In terms of costs of things - there are always tons of lunch meetings of clubs happening, and more often than not they'll serve lunch. The school offers free coffee and bagels for breakfasts a few times a month. There are also vendors who come to campus (like bar course providers or legal research groups) and they'll serve lunch and give out mugs, pens, highlighters, stationary, copies of important books (like the federal civil procedure codes or criminal codes), review books, snacks, lunch boxes, swag bags, etc. It is pretty awesome and I have gotten all of my law school pens and highlighters for free that way :) As well as great review books for finals!

You all may have guessed but I'm a current student. Thought I'd check these out since I found the waiting-for-acceptances/rejections period so stressful. So, ask me anything!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:24 pm

aep09014 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
aep09014 wrote:

People coming to UConn Law are generally really surprised by how reasonable the rents are. A friend of mine pays about $1500/month for a one bedroom apartment but her building has valet parking, a garage, a pool, and a gym. So there are more high-rise style apartment buildings in Hartford, for varying rents, or you can rent a bedroom in a house with other students in the area right around the law school. Other people get small one or two bedroom apartments in West Hartford or surrounding areas, since West Hartford (you'll hear it referred to as WeHa) is just a really nice area to live, and they either live alone or with other young professionals. Another reason Uber is huge in WeHa/Hartford area - there are a lot of really nice restaurants and bars so students Uber so they can drink.

In terms of costs of things - there are always tons of lunch meetings of clubs happening, and more often than not they'll serve lunch. The school offers free coffee and bagels for breakfasts a few times a month. There are also vendors who come to campus (like bar course providers or legal research groups) and they'll serve lunch and give out mugs, pens, highlighters, stationary, copies of important books (like the federal civil procedure codes or criminal codes), review books, snacks, lunch boxes, swag bags, etc. It is pretty awesome and I have gotten all of my law school pens and highlighters for free that way :) As well as great review books for finals!

You all may have guessed but I'm a current student. Thought I'd check these out since I found the waiting-for-acceptances/rejections period so stressful. So, ask me anything!
Actually, I had some questions! How does UConn do for PI placement? What portion of the class is PI?

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:50 pm

aep09014 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
aep09014 wrote:

My apartment was $1050 a month it was a 2 bedroom on Whitney in Hartford, this was several years ago. I just checked Zillow the apartment next to mine is renting a 3 br now for $1250. Elizabeth Park is within walking distance and so is the school.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:53 am

Anyone hearing any chatter of movement? I haven't even been moved to under review yet. But, I applied PT in mid-January. I'm getting antsy!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:03 pm

KME89 wrote:Anyone hearing any chatter of movement? I haven't even been moved to under review yet. But, I applied PT in mid-January. I'm getting antsy!

PT evening? I"m dying to find someone that would be in my section. To answer your question, no I haven't heard anything but I'm assuming you should see movement soon, I think the admitted students day is in the beginning of April so I would assume theres going to be a bunch of decisions coming up soon. I feel you on the antsy part good luck!

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:33 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:Anyone hearing any chatter of movement? I haven't even been moved to under review yet. But, I applied PT in mid-January. I'm getting antsy!

PT evening? I"m dying to find someone that would be in my section. To answer your question, no I haven't heard anything but I'm assuming you should see movement soon, I think the admitted students day is in the beginning of April so I would assume theres going to be a bunch of decisions coming up soon. I feel you on the antsy part good luck!
Yes, evening division. Did you hear back yet? I'm wondering if they're doing all the full time applications first. Are/were you under review? I'm trying to figure out if they just aren't utilizing that feature on ASO or if I'm looking at another month of waiting.

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:29 pm

I heard back last week. It was a pretty short acceptance email, they just said congrats and that more information would be coming in the mail. They followed-up with another email after that, but I haven't had time to go through everything yet.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:32 pm

dbalkaran wrote:
I heard back last week. It was a pretty short acceptance email, they just said congrats and that more information would be coming in the mail. They followed-up with another email after that, but I haven't had time to go through everything yet.
Did you apply for the full time or part time program? Were you ever moved into a review stage on the status checker website?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 pm

KME89 wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
Did you apply for the full time or part time program? Were you ever moved into a review stage on the status checker website?
I applied for FT. To be honest I didn't really look at the status checker, based off of my numbers (157/3.14) and my work experience I felt good about my chances.

redbulls2595

New

Post by redbulls2595 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Got accepted to UCONN day division with the Oliver Ellsworth scholarship - only have to pay in-state tuition even though I'm an out of state resident. Pretty good but wondering the cost of living in the area?

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 pm

redbulls2595 wrote:Got accepted to UCONN day division with the Oliver Ellsworth scholarship - only have to pay in-state tuition even though I'm an out of state resident. Pretty good but wondering the cost of living in the area?
It's about half that of Boston! (I wish I were kidding). In all seriousness, it's quite cheap in comparison to city schools. I'm sure UConn has some information about it on their website- Just glanced there now. They allow for around $17500 for COL. IMO, that is quite liberal and would cost much less for someone who is actively trying to save money.

aep09014

New

Post by aep09014 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Stylnator wrote:
aep09014 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
aep09014 wrote:

Actually, I had some questions! How does UConn do for PI placement? What portion of the class is PI?
I'm not quite sure of the exact numbers for careers, but UConn is great for PI. We have a Public Interest Law Group [PILG] that sets up a huge auction every fall to raise money so that PILG can award stipends to students who will be doing PI work over the summer - and these stipends can be thousands of dollars. We also have a Public Interest Law Journal, so student members can write notes or comments on PI topics and submit them for consideration in the journal - as well as cite check and edit publications by professors from all over the country on PI issues. We also have a few PI-type clinics, like the Mediation clinic which handles employment discrimination cases and the asylum and human rights clinic.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 pm

KME89 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

Yes, evening division. Did you hear back yet? I'm wondering if they're doing all the full time applications first. Are/were you under review? I'm trying to figure out if they just aren't utilizing that feature on ASO or if I'm looking at another month of waiting.
Yes but I was early decision. I can see them putting regular admission on hold for early decision but they should be done with those by now. Evening division is significantly smaller than day so I guess they could be waiting if they (hypothetically) filled half their seats already. If its been a while with no movement to under review you could call or email and ask, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Crossing my fingers for you!

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:15 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

Yes but I was early decision. I can see them putting regular admission on hold for early decision but they should be done with those by now. Evening division is significantly smaller than day so I guess they could be waiting if they (hypothetically) filled half their seats already. If its been a while with no movement to under review you could call or email and ask, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Crossing my fingers for you!
I called to follow up. They said it's in the queue and that it's a PT application doesn't influence when it's viewed.

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:27 am

Just got my acceptance package in the mail. Kind of surprised at the scholarship offer, I only got $14k a year which would make UConn pretty expensive for me. Has anyone had luck negotiating a bigger scholarship? I got $20k from Brooklyn and $38k from Albany.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 pm

dbalkaran wrote:Just got my acceptance package in the mail. Kind of surprised at the scholarship offer, I only got $14k a year which would make UConn pretty expensive for me. Has anyone had luck negotiating a bigger scholarship? I got $20k from Brooklyn and $38k from Albany.
I know for other schools scholly negotiations haven't really begun yet.

But for the sake of it, let's look at your presumable COA (including estimated COL) for those three schools.

For Albany, it should run you (44696+15970)x3 -114000= $67,998, not including interest accumulations. Fun fact, their median salary as reported on LST Reports is $66,666 lol. Not relevant, but amusing.

For Brooklyn, it should be... (46176+24399)x3 - 60000= $151,725

Calculations for UConn are different since you can presumably get in-state tuition after a year. It should end up being (58802+28802(2))+17482(3) - 42000 = $126,852

Again, all of these calculations aren't accounting for accruing loan interest and are based off estimated COL as provided by the schools. Because of the ridiculous COL in NYC, I don't think you could leverage your scholly at Brooklyn. That leaves you with Albany. I don't know if you could successfully use their aid to you since they are ranked significantly lower and don't really place out of NY (>80% of grads work in NY state, similar to UConn re: CT). However, it's worth trying! Best of luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 am

snw2367 wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:Just got my acceptance package in the mail. Kind of surprised at the scholarship offer, I only got $14k a year which would make UConn pretty expensive for me. Has anyone had luck negotiating a bigger scholarship? I got $20k from Brooklyn and $38k from Albany.

But for the sake of it, let's look at your presumable COA (including estimated COL) for those three schools.

For Albany, it should run you (44696+15970)x3 -114000= $67,998, not including interest accumulations. Fun fact, their median salary as reported on LST Reports is $66,666 lol. Not relevant, but amusing.

Calculations for UConn are different since you can presumably get in-state tuition after a year. It should end up being (58802+28802(2))+17482(3) - 42000 = $126,852

Again, all of these calculations aren't accounting for accruing loan interest and are based off estimated COL as provided by the schools. Because of the ridiculous COL in NYC, I don't think you could leverage your scholly at Brooklyn. That leaves you with Albany. I don't know if you could successfully use their aid to you since they are ranked significantly lower and don't really place out of NY (>80% of grads work in NY state, similar to UConn re: CT). However, it's worth trying! Best of luck.
Thanks for the detailed response. I didn't realize you could get in-state tuition for UConn after a year, so my calculations were a little different. I'm torn between UConn and Brooklyn because I think I have a better shot of getting a job in New York coming out of Brooklyn, but I really like UConn. I'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools so I guess I have some time to decide/try to negotiate.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 am

dbalkaran wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. I didn't realize you could get in-state tuition for UConn after a year, so my calculations were a little different. I'm torn between UConn and Brooklyn because I think I have a better shot of getting a job in New York coming out of Brooklyn, but I really like UConn. I'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools so I guess I have some time to decide/try to negotiate.
I'm from CT so it's never been a consideration for me, but I've heard that the admin is pretty helpful in assisting students to get in-state. I would e-mail admissions and ask them the process for it if you need specifics.

And no problem! I just had work I needed to be doing, so naturally I decided to do that instead.

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:35 pm

anyone else get calls from the dean?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 pm

em15 wrote:anyone else get calls from the dean?
Nope, was it for ASW?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”