UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snw2367

New

Re: UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017)

Post by snw2367 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Has any one else received the connecticut scholars full tuition??

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:41 pm

snw2367 wrote:Has any one else received the connecticut scholars full tuition??
Haven't gotten my packet yet and I was accepted over a week ago. I should be getting it on Tuesday(mail isn't coming sunday or monday) I'll let everyone know the moment I know! If you don't mind me asking what were your numbers?

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Haven't gotten my packet yet and I was accepted over a week ago. I should be getting it on Tuesday(mail isn't coming sunday or monday) I'll let everyone know the moment I know! If you don't mind me asking what were your numbers?
I found out that I got it via phone call yesterday. I had a 161/3.45- 3.6 degree GPA, though that doesn't really matter.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:49 pm

snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
I found out that I got it via phone call yesterday. I had a 161/3.45- 3.6 degree GPA, though that doesn't really matter.
I probably missed it then, but I'm close enough where maybe I got over a half scholly(which is what I would need to make attending viable) I have a 156/3.5 GPA.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Lol, at 4.30 I stopped checking my emails and it turns out I got my acceptance like twenty minutes later :D Any other acceptances today?
Congrats!!!!! Glad your decision wasn't far behind!
Did you get your admissions packet yet? It's been over a week since I've got accepted and I still haven't gotten it. I know you got in a day before me, so I'm guessing you'd get it first?
Yea I got mine Tuesday the 20th. I bet you get yours next week. I was ED though so we had only 2 weeks to send in our first deposit. (Mine actually said first deposit due Dec. 28).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:36 am

jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Lol, at 4.30 I stopped checking my emails and it turns out I got my acceptance like twenty minutes later :D Any other acceptances today?
Congrats!!!!! Glad your decision wasn't far behind!
Did you get your admissions packet yet? It's been over a week since I've got accepted and I still haven't gotten it. I know you got in a day before me, so I'm guessing you'd get it first?
Yea I got mine Tuesday the 20th. I bet you get yours next week. I was ED though so we had only 2 weeks to send in our first deposit. (Mine actually said first deposit due Dec. 28).
Yeah that makes sense, thanks!

metaxerox88

New

Post by metaxerox88 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:50 am

In as of late last week! Applied RD 12/8, got the notification I think on 12/22, packet with 1/2 scholarship came the day after.

For the people going ED, do you all live in CT? Do you plan to work there after? NY/BOS people thinking about going?
Also, for anyone here who didn't get a full ride, have you tried negotiating for more?

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances and good luck to those still waiting!

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:37 pm

metaxerox88 wrote:In as of late last week! Applied RD 12/8, got the notification I think on 12/22, packet with 1/2 scholarship came the day after.

For the people going ED, do you all live in CT? Do you plan to work there after? NY/BOS people thinking about going?
Also, for anyone here who didn't get a full ride, have you tried negotiating for more?

I was ED, yes I live in CT and plan on working here. I'm 31 have 2 kids in school and own a house in S. Windsor, so I'm not the typical applicant, I'm pretty settled. I'm also going pt evening program, with half scholarship. I wasn't considering negotiating for more, I didnt even know that was a thing honestly.

metaxerox88

New

Post by metaxerox88 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
metaxerox88 wrote:In as of late last week! Applied RD 12/8, got the notification I think on 12/22, packet with 1/2 scholarship came the day after.

I was ED, yes I live in CT and plan on working here. I'm 31 have 2 kids in school and own a house in S. Windsor, so I'm not the typical applicant, I'm pretty settled. I'm also going pt evening program, with half scholarship. I wasn't considering negotiating for more, I didnt even know that was a thing honestly.
That makes 100% sense.

I'm 27, but I own a house near Worcester with my wife, and so we're pretty settled ourselves. We're not moving (yet) but with the 50% scholarship to UCONN (and they gave me in-state tuition) I'm giving good consideration to moving that way upon graduation (it's about an hour to the law school from my house, and considering I already commute about 45-50 minutes to my current job it isn't too daunting), with the knowledge that I'd likely be working in CT. I'm 50-50 between Hartford and Boston though, so I also have to consider some of those schools as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:28 pm

metaxerox88 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

That makes 100% sense.

I'm 27, but I own a house near Worcester with my wife, and so we're pretty settled ourselves. We're not moving (yet) but with the 50% scholarship to UCONN (and they gave me in-state tuition) I'm giving good consideration to moving that way upon graduation (it's about an hour to the law school from my house, and considering I already commute about 45-50 minutes to my current job it isn't too daunting), with the knowledge that I'd likely be working in CT. I'm 50-50 between Hartford and Boston though, so I also have to consider some of those schools as well.
Do you work in CT now? And did you apply day or evening? It makes sense to go to school where you will want to work, I imagine you'll make connections while in school so UCONN would make sense if you wanted to end up working in the Hartford area. What other schools have you applied to?

metaxerox88

New

Post by metaxerox88 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:48 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
metaxerox88 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

That makes 100% sense.

Do you work in CT now? And did you apply day or evening? It makes sense to go to school where you will want to work, I imagine you'll make connections while in school so UCONN would make sense if you wanted to end up working in the Hartford area. What other schools have you applied to?
Applied to day. I work outside Boston, but I grew up in CT and have some connections in Hartford. I also applied to Suffolk and Northeastern, waiting to see if I did any better on the Dec. LSAT to warrant a BC/BU app. I really was impressed with the people who I met while at UCONN when I visited a few months ago, and I could be swayed to work in either Hartford or Boston, and seeing as it's about equidistant, I feel both are viable options.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:54 pm

metaxerox88 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
metaxerox88 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

That makes 100% sense.

Applied to day. I work outside Boston, but I grew up in CT and have some connections in Hartford. I also applied to Suffolk and Northeastern, waiting to see if I did any better on the Dec. LSAT to warrant a BC/BU app. I really was impressed with the people who I met while at UCONN when I visited a few months ago, and I could be swayed to work in either Hartford or Boston, and seeing as it's about equidistant, I feel both are viable options.

The dreaded retake.....good luck I hope you get the score you're aiming for. I had to retake because my scores expired and I felt like I was in some sort of twisted nightmare having to walk in there again.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Got my scholarship. Sadly seeing as I'm out of state it doesn't look like it would be affordable to attend(if I lived in state it would be half tuition). There is the possibility that I can get in state residency my second year(which would certainly make it much more affordable) but I don't know how sure a thing that is. I don't want to write of a school I'm actually quite fond of, so I'm going to try to figure out how likely it is I'll be able to become a CT resident. Does anyone know the policy for that(I'm attending UG in CT and I vote in CT)or at least where I can find it? A friend also offered to let me stay with them for LS if I were to attend UCONN, would that also affect my in state eligibility? Without the scholarship right now Cardozo seems to be a more affordable option but there is a big part of me that wants to stay in CT and practice there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Got my scholarship. Sadly seeing as I'm out of state it doesn't look like it would be affordable to attend(if I lived in state it would be half tuition). There is the possibility that I can get in state residency my second year(which would certainly make it much more affordable) but I don't know how sure a thing that is. I don't want to write of a school I'm actually quite fond of, so I'm going to try to figure out how likely it is I'll be able to become a CT resident. Does anyone know the policy for that(I'm attending UG in CT and I vote in CT)or at least where I can find it? A friend also offered to let me stay with them for LS if I were to attend UCONN, would that also affect my in state eligibility? Without the scholarship right now Cardozo seems to be a more affordable option but there is a big part of me that wants to stay in CT and practice there.

https://www.law.uconn.edu/student-life- ... -residency
thats the link that will give all the info. I recently saw somewhere that someone received a scholarship for UCONN that was only for the first year and then they stated she could apply for residency her second year. You can always call the admissions department and tell them your situation and see if the scholarship is negotiable.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:14 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Got my scholarship. Sadly seeing as I'm out of state it doesn't look like it would be affordable to attend(if I lived in state it would be half tuition). There is the possibility that I can get in state residency my second year(which would certainly make it much more affordable) but I don't know how sure a thing that is. I don't want to write of a school I'm actually quite fond of, so I'm going to try to figure out how likely it is I'll be able to become a CT resident. Does anyone know the policy for that(I'm attending UG in CT and I vote in CT)or at least where I can find it? A friend also offered to let me stay with them for LS if I were to attend UCONN, would that also affect my in state eligibility? Without the scholarship right now Cardozo seems to be a more affordable option but there is a big part of me that wants to stay in CT and practice there.

https://www.law.uconn.edu/student-life- ... -residency
thats the link that will give all the info. I recently saw somewhere that someone received a scholarship for UCONN that was only for the first year and then they stated she could apply for residency her second year. You can always call the admissions department and tell them your situation and see if the scholarship is negotiable.
I'm doing that right now. Also thinking I might apply to QU. If they increase the scholarship to 20k I think I might just end up attending.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:22 am

Since you've been living here presumably for four years AND vote in CT, I'd wonder if you could already claim instate..

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:25 am

I didn't ED- to be honest, UConn was barely on my radar. I applied because it's my state school, but I attend UG in Boston. With the full ride, however, I'm 90% sure that I'm enrolling. Attending any other school, even BC for half tuition (in my dreams) would fall below graduating debt free. My family, my high school friends and my boyfriend's family all live within an hour radius of UConn and I was ultimately planning on settling the area post law school anyway. I'm definitely not going to leave the state. Nutmegger for life it seems (did I just say that? yes, yes I did).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:44 am

snw2367 wrote:
Since you've been living here presumably for four years AND vote in CT, I'd wonder if you could already claim instate..
While I have been living here for 4 years and I also have been voting here ever since, I still can't unfortunately for my first year:( I can't be a dependent on my parents taxes among other things. I am leaning very heavily towards wanting to stay in Connecticut and if UCONN raises my offer to about 20k or a little more, I will be more willing to take the 30-60k risk of not getting residency. I also got into QU today so I have a second option in the state and I got almost a full ride. Seeing that it's conditional upon me being in the top half, there is a scenario where QU will actually cost more than UCONN so if I stay in Connecticut I'm leaning towards UCONN.

metaxerox88

New

Post by metaxerox88 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:20 pm

snw2367 wrote:

I didn't ED- to be honest, UConn was barely on my radar. I applied because it's my state school, but I attend UG in Boston. With the full ride, however, I'm 90% sure that I'm enrolling. Attending any other school, even BC for half tuition (in my dreams) would fall below graduating debt free. My family, my high school friends and my boyfriend's family all live within an hour radius of UConn and I was ultimately planning on settling the area post law school anyway. I'm definitely not going to leave the state. Nutmegger for life it seems (did I just say that? yes, yes I did).
Yea, UCONN is keeping my COA super low, even though they're likely to keep me in CT I'm also leaning that way. Weird thinking I've moved all around the country since leaving CT 10 years ago, only to possibly end up where I came from. Was not thinking that at all when I left, but I'm pretty excited too.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
While I have been living here for 4 years and I also have been voting here ever since, I still can't unfortunately for my first year:( I can't be a dependent on my parents taxes among other things. I am leaning very heavily towards wanting to stay in Connecticut and if UCONN raises my offer to about 20k or a little more, I will be more willing to take the 30-60k risk of not getting residency. I also got into QU today so I have a second option in the state and I got almost a full ride. Seeing that it's conditional upon me being in the top half, there is a scenario where QU will actually cost more than UCONN so if I stay in Connecticut I'm leaning towards UCONN.

I honestly think I'd risk not getting residency and go to UCONN over Quinnipiac. I think it has a better reputation if you want to stay local. My scholarship was conditional from Quinnipiac as well, didn't love that either.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:04 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

I honestly think I'd risk not getting residency and go to UCONN over Quinnipiac. I think it has a better reputation if you want to stay local. My scholarship was conditional from Quinnipiac as well, didn't love that either.
If they give a little more(like 20k a year) I'll probably do it. A potential additional 60k for me is alot of uncertainty when I'm already north of 100k. Certainly leaning towards UCONN over QU, for me the worst case scenario at QU being worse than the best case scenario at UCONN is pretty hard to justify seeing their employment stats. I'm a little attached to QU because it's my alma matter and I'm getting depressed about leaving(which is why I applied) but UCONN is clearly a better school. Also I don't drive and I've heard Hartford is more walker friendly. That might seem silly but how easy it is to get around without a car is a vital part of my decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

If they give a little more(like 20k a year) I'll probably do it. A potential additional 60k for me is alot of uncertainty when I'm already north of 100k. Certainly leaning towards UCONN over QU, for me the worst case scenario at QU being worse than the best case scenario at UCONN is pretty hard to justify seeing their employment stats. I'm a little attached to QU because it's my alma matter and I'm getting depressed about leaving(which is why I applied) but UCONN is clearly a better school. Also I don't drive and I've heard Hartford is more walker friendly. That might seem silly but how easy it is to get around without a car is a vital part of my decision.

Hartford is a bit more walker friendly, I suppose, than QU... but it should be noted in CT you'll be heavily inconvenienced w/out a car for normal non-law school tasks like groceries and accessing wonderful stores like CostCo! (lol) Do you at least bike?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:34 pm

snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

Hartford is a bit more walker friendly, I suppose, than QU... but it should be noted in CT you'll be heavily inconvenienced w/out a car for normal non-law school tasks like groceries and accessing wonderful stores like CostCo! (lol) Do you at least bike?
No I don't:( I do run though! I know not being able to drive is a handicap for me, but I'm trying to make the best of it. Keep in mind I come from NYC where it is far easier to get around without a car/far harder to drive(It's possible I can drive in a less populated area but I wouldn't be able to ever do a highway due to pretty bad anxiety/ADD). I've also never been to a CostCo but I've heard great things! Also by QU are you referring to the main university in Hamden or the law school at North Haven because 2 years ago they moved the law school off of the main campus? I actually would be quite comfortable walking to school in Hamden(I do this currently), North Haven is the ? for me.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 am

A car is essential in CT. You might be able to get by in NY but for law school there are lots of events and stuff for which personal transportation is key. And groceries will be hard to find on foot if you're going to live super close to campus to make up for the lack of a car.

Applied 1/14
Accepted 1/25
Still waiting on mail

aep09014

New

Post by aep09014 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

No I don't:( I do run though! I know not being able to drive is a handicap for me, but I'm trying to make the best of it. Keep in mind I come from NYC where it is far easier to get around without a car/far harder to drive(It's possible I can drive in a less populated area but I wouldn't be able to ever do a highway due to pretty bad anxiety/ADD). I've also never been to a CostCo but I've heard great things! Also by QU are you referring to the main university in Hamden or the law school at North Haven because 2 years ago they moved the law school off of the main campus? I actually would be quite comfortable walking to school in Hamden(I do this currently), North Haven is the ? for me.

Hey Ferrisjo, not driving in Hartford is totally doable, you just need to take that into account in choosing an apartment or living situation. Also a lot of people who don't have cars uber - my friend has a dog and no car and has taken the dog with her in the uber! She decided to live a little farther from the school (a few miles) so she takes the bus to school but is right across the street from Whole Foods, tons of restaurants, and a gym.
As far as residency goes - student services is very good about helping students get residency since a lot of people come in needing to get residency to meet their budget. You have to show that you are independent from your out-of-state parents, so your lease, car, and school payments all have to be in your name. You also have to get a CT driver's license (I am pretty sure) and register to vote in CT. I am a life-long CT resident so I did not have to apply for residency, but a lot of my friends did apply and subsequently got residency. There are also always scholarships being given out throughout the year that you can apply for, sometimes they involve a writing component but those aren't too bad. Hope this helps!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”