UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KME89

New

Re: UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017)

Post by KME89 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:Anybody else apply mid to late January and are still waiting on a decision? I'm wondering if it's taking longer for me because I applied for the PT program.

Have you had any movement at all? Mine was UR for a long time time but the dates changed twice so I at least knew something was happening.
No movement. I went in and met with the Director of Admissions back in February. He was surprised my application hadn't even gone under review yet. He estimated mid-March I would hear back but the status change date hasn't changed from the date I visited the admissions office last month.

I would send an e-mail if it were me. Considering its been 2 months since going complete but not under review yet would be concerning. I feel like this is the time of year where things tend to move a bit quicker anyways so theres no harm in making sure everything is ok. Theres a difference between having an actual concern and being pushy, I don't think it would hurt to ask.
It went UR that day I met with the Director. Just nothing since then. I figure I'll wait until the end of the month and then email them if I don't hear anything/the status date doesn't change.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

KME89 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:Anybody else apply mid to late January and are still waiting on a decision? I'm wondering if it's taking longer for me because I applied for the PT program.

Have you had any movement at all? Mine was UR for a long time time but the dates changed twice so I at least knew something was happening.
No movement. I went in and met with the Director of Admissions back in February. He was surprised my application hadn't even gone under review yet. He estimated mid-March I would hear back but the status change date hasn't changed from the date I visited the admissions office last month.

I would send an e-mail if it were me. Considering its been 2 months since going complete but not under review yet would be concerning. I feel like this is the time of year where things tend to move a bit quicker anyways so theres no harm in making sure everything is ok. Theres a difference between having an actual concern and being pushy, I don't think it would hurt to ask.
It went UR that day I met with the Director. Just nothing since then. I figure I'll wait until the end of the month and then email them if I don't hear anything/the status date doesn't change.

I dont know what others had but mine stayed UR with no change until the day I got my acceptance e-mail.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:57 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
KME89 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

I dont know what others had but mine stayed UR with no change until the day I got my acceptance e-mail.
That's very helpful! Thanks! Now I know not to wait for the date to change to indicate movement.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Finally got my hat in the mail!! I was unreasonably excited.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 am

WL'd. :cry: Of course I'm going to Costa Rica tomorrow for vacation. I'll have to put this out of my head until I get back. I already responded to the email highlighting my enthusiasm to attend UCONN, reiterating that it's my first choice, and that I will continue to showcase my interest and qualifications to be accepted while I remain on the wait list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get off a wait list? UCONN suggested retaking the LSAT, getting more letters of recommendation, updating my resume, and sending final transcripts. Well, as a PT student, I've been out of school for years and am in a job that I'm not progressing ing so the last two options are out. Would a June LSAT be too late in the cycle to be considered?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 am

snw2367 wrote:Finally got my hat in the mail!! I was unreasonably excited.
Right?! :D

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 am

KME89 wrote:WL'd. :cry: Of course I'm going to Costa Rica tomorrow for vacation. I'll have to put this out of my head until I get back. I already responded to the email highlighting my enthusiasm to attend UCONN, reiterating that it's my first choice, and that I will continue to showcase my interest and qualifications to be accepted while I remain on the wait list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get off a wait list? UCONN suggested retaking the LSAT, getting more letters of recommendation, updating my resume, and sending final transcripts. Well, as a PT student, I've been out of school for years and am in a job that I'm not progressing ing so the last two options are out. Would a June LSAT be too late in the cycle to be considered?

I'm sorry! First of all enjoy your vacation......drink, eat well and get tan and then deal with this. Retaking your LSAT would probably be your best option first of all, what was your score and did you prep for it? If so what were you pting as? If your practice tests were generally higher than your actual score maybe it was just nerves. If not then I would prep like hell, like invest in a really good program or tutor, because you still have enough time for June. As far as scores being too late, I took June lsat last year and they had extended their regular app deadline until 7/15 so I received numorous emails about applying with that score, but that was last cycle so I would check with admissions before wasting time or money. As far as recs go, I've been out of college for 10 years now so I banked on 3 really strong recs from work, and my job is pt and isn't very exciting either (I've been a SAHM for 5 years now, in fact I'm currently fighting with my 5 year old to eat a banana before school, she and her sister are technically my boss but I don't think law schools except recs in crayon so that option was out.) So without knowing any of your specifics those are my best suggestions.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:21 pm

jrbuckler wrote: , she and her sister are technically my boss but I don't think law schools except recs in crayon so that option was out

This made me chuckle on the train and garnered some weird looks from passengers.

your advice is spot on though- it really depends on your capacity for taking and doing well on the LSAT. If you've maxed out your testing ability, spending money on more prep material and taking in June might not be useful.

plmarsh5

New

Post by plmarsh5 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Hello! Question for all of those accepted...how long after your application went under review did you receive a decision? Applied 3/7 and went under review 3/21. Can't help but be a little antsy to hear back!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 pm

plmarsh5 wrote:Hello! Question for all of those accepted...how long after your application went under review did you receive a decision? Applied 3/7 and went under review 3/21. Can't help but be a little antsy to hear back!
A little over a week for me

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:49 pm

plmarsh5 wrote:Hello! Question for all of those accepted...how long after your application went under review did you receive a decision? Applied 3/7 and went under review 3/21. Can't help but be a little antsy to hear back!
It was maybe 2-3 weeks for me. Not very long.

flipadelphia9

New

Post by flipadelphia9 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:07 pm

It happens within about 1-2 weeks. I applied on 2/13 and was accepted on 2/27 so it was exactly two weeks for me. I'd imagine you will hear back this upcoming week if your application went under review on 3/21. Good luck!

mycollar

New

Post by mycollar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Anybody know the odds of getting in off of the waitlist? I'm an in-state splitter with +75% LSAT, -25% GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:03 pm

mycollar wrote:Anybody know the odds of getting in off of the waitlist? I'm an in-state splitter with +75% LSAT, -25% GPA.
Unsure, but I'd imagine it'll depend on if they're looking for higher LSATs or higher GPAs to balance out the class once deposits come in.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am

mycollar wrote:Anybody know the odds of getting in off of the waitlist? I'm an in-state splitter with +75% LSAT, -25% GPA.

well theres nothing you can do for gpa. How many recs do you have? You could get another strong one. Did you write a why UCONN essay? If not maybe consider following up with an email explaining why you want to go to UCONN. Could be a million reasons other than low gpa for a wl.

plmarsh5

New

Post by plmarsh5 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 am

flipadelphia9 wrote:
It happens within about 1-2 weeks. I applied on 2/13 and was accepted on 2/27 so it was exactly two weeks for me. I'd imagine you will hear back this upcoming week if your application went under review on 3/21. Good luck!

Heard back last night and was admitted! Thanks for the response!

mycollar

New

Post by mycollar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:00 pm

jrbuckler wrote:

well theres nothing you can do for gpa. How many recs do you have? You could get another strong one. Did you write a why UCONN essay? If not maybe consider following up with an email explaining why you want to go to UCONN. Could be a million reasons other than low gpa for a wl.
I had two strong recommendations, one from a UConn Professor (I went there for undergrad) and the other from a former employer who is a Connecticut-based lawyer. However, I've been out of school for about 3 years now and I've only had two employers, my current one I've been with for a few months, so bottom-line: I'm not sure I can get any more relevant recommendations. I did send an email of continued interest and emphasized my interest in the program, stated why I'm applying, and noted that it's my first choice. So I feel like I have done all I can at this point and I'm just playing the waiting game.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 am

Just withdrew, so hopefully that frees up a spot for one of you and some scholarship money! Good luck everyone!

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Does anyone have any idea what percentage of people are typically pulled from the waitlist at UCONN each year?

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 pm

KME89 wrote:Does anyone have any idea what percentage of people are typically pulled from the waitlist at UCONN each year?
I haven't seen any stats for that floating around. I'd imagine it depends on enrollment levels/year. When I went through UG admissions, the year before Brown took >70 people from the waitlist. My year, they took 0.

On a different note, does anyone know what the ASD will entail?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:07 pm

I can't attend ASD so if someone can post their thoughts here I would absolutely appreciate it! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:53 am

snw2367 wrote:
KME89 wrote:Does anyone have any idea what percentage of people are typically pulled from the waitlist at UCONN each year?
I haven't seen any stats for that floating around. I'd imagine it depends on enrollment levels/year. When I went through UG admissions, the year before Brown took >70 people from the waitlist. My year, they took 0.

I e-mailed and asked, this was the response "The Admitted Student Day this Saturday has a set schedule including 3 panels, breakfast and lunch."

So we are going to be doing a lot of eating and listening.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 am

jrbuckler wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

I e-mailed and asked, this was the response "The Admitted Student Day this Saturday has a set schedule including 3 panels, breakfast and lunch."

So we are going to be doing a lot of eating and listening.
ohh nice. I enjoy free food. Do you know if we can bring a guest? I'm assuming we can.

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 am

I was asked when I RSVP'd if I was bringing a guest. So I'm assuming yes, although I'm going alone. I wonder when we actually register for classes, not that it matters much to me because evening students have only one torts class time, and one civ pro time etc. etc. but it doesn't feel official until you're registered.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:24 am

I just went to register for the LSAT with the idea of taking it again to try to get off the waitlist and the closest location is three hours from my house in New Hampshire. I called UCONN but got the admissions office's voicemail. They're probably ridiculously busy this time of year. I sent them an email as well. I'm not about to put in more studying, taking time off work, and paying to stay in New Hampshire for a couple nights to have absolutely no shot at getting in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”