UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jrbuckler

New

Re: UCONN School of Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017)

Post by jrbuckler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:54 am

KME89 wrote:I just went to register for the LSAT with the idea of taking it again to try to get off the waitlist and the closest location is three hours from my house in New Hampshire. I called UCONN but got the admissions office's voicemail. They're probably ridiculously busy this time of year. I sent them an email as well. I'm not about to put in more studying, taking time off work, and paying to stay in New Hampshire for a couple nights to have absolutely no shot at getting in.

What was your original LSAT score?

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Stylnator wrote:I can't attend ASD so if someone can post their thoughts here I would absolutely appreciate it! :D

So thoughts on ASD: There were 3 panels, one with current students, one with faculty and one with alumni. It was pretty informative, I sat at a table with a 1L and he was really nice. Probably the best panel out of the 3 was the one from faculty, the alumni one, in my opinion, was boring. All in all it was a good intro to the school.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:37 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
Stylnator wrote:I can't attend ASD so if someone can post their thoughts here I would absolutely appreciate it! :D

So thoughts on ASD: There were 3 panels, one with current students, one with faculty and one with alumni. It was pretty informative, I sat at a table with a 1L and he was really nice. Probably the best panel out of the 3 was the one from faculty, the alumni one, in my opinion, was boring. All in all it was a good intro to the school.
I almost died when that one parent asked four questions to the student panel

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:08 am

snw2367 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

:lol: That was right behind me. The parents were way more vocal than the students. There was a mother at my table who was all about the 1L sitting with us, I felt bad for him.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:07 am

jrbuckler wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

:lol: That was right behind me. The parents were way more vocal than the students. There was a mother at my table who was all about the 1L sitting with us, I felt bad for him.
I was at that table LOL. There were a surprising number of parents there. Were you at the table with the mother who kept stroking her daughters back and face?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:24 pm

snw2367 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

I was at that table LOL. There were a surprising number of parents there. Were you at the table with the mother who kept stroking her daughters back and face?
:roll: yes. I sat next to the mother. There were some interesting conversations at my table. Thankfully I talk to everyone regardless so I had a good time.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 pm

jrbuckler wrote:

I was really surprised with the parents, I told mine to wait in the parking lot and then felt really bad since I felt most people brought theirs. From both TLS and previous events I've attended I thought it was pretty clear that parents not attending ASD was an unspoken norm. While the panel had some useful info I think it was a mistake to just keep us in the same room for 3 hours telling us positive things that any school will have students, staff and alumni willing to say. This was my main issue with the other ASD's I attended but I felt like the other one's had alot more than just panel's while with UCONN that was 90% of everything(they had tours afterwards).

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

I was really surprised with the parents, I told mine to wait in the parking lot and then felt really bad since I felt most people brought theirs. From both TLS and previous events I've attended I thought it was pretty clear that parents not attending ASD was an unspoken norm. While the panel had some useful info I think it was a mistake to just keep us in the same room for 3 hours telling us positive things that any school will have students, staff and alumni willing to say. This was my main issue with the other ASD's I attended but I felt like the other one's had alot more than just panel's while with UCONN that was 90% of everything(they had tours afterwards).

First of all I'm a horrible person and just lol at the fact that your poor parents had to wait in the car for 3 hours. Secondly, you didn't announce that you were attending, I would have like to have met the infamous Ferrisjso. It honestly didn't really speak to the students who were still deciding, the most informative part for them was probably the info on job placement. I had one guy at my table deciding between Fordham, UCONN and BC and the rest were all attending UCONN. Have you decided between Cardozo and UCONN or are you still deciding? Also now that you've visited do you feel the area is walkable?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:03 pm

jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

First of all I'm a horrible person and just lol at the fact that your poor parents had to wait in the car for 3 hours. Secondly, you didn't announce that you were attending, I would have like to have met the infamous Ferrisjso. It honestly didn't really speak to the students who were still deciding, the most informative part for them was probably the info on job placement. I had one guy at my table deciding between Fordham, UCONN and BC and the rest were all attending UCONN. Have you decided between Cardozo and UCONN or are you still deciding? Also now that you've visited do you feel the area is walkable?
Well they probably walked around and did some other stuff but yeah I felt bad lol. I announced for the Cardozo thing and asked if anyone wanted to hang out and no one ever responded, so I thought the same thing would have happened here, would have been happy to meet you to! Am I really infamous lol? My table(which didn't have any parents) had people who had either already decided to go to UCONN, or were choosing between UCONN and BU/BC(either in or WL). In terms of walking I do think it would be doable from my discussions with administrators(and from looking around).

The reason I am likely not attending is the risk of not getting the in state tuition and the signals I received on that front were not the ones I wanted to, which seeing that it's a 60k+ gamble was a huge deal breaker. If I want CT, I just don't think UCONN is worth over 100k more than QU(which impressed the holy hell out of me at ASD). If my best case scenario of in state tuition for the second and third year was guaranteed, I might bite the bullet but the risk of having 200k in loans coming out of school when I could just go to QU for basically COL didn't seem worth it. I liked the school and was particularly impressed by what was said about the career services office(in contrast with Cardozo where they seemed quite straightforward about the whole concept of class rank=better jobs) but it didn't do enough to convince me to make the financial sacrifices I was preparing to possibly make. I'm still open to UCONN if I get more money but I have good reason to believe I will not be getting anymore. I did leave with the impression that UCONN's employment stats(which I think were 59% or something like that for JD jobs) were deflated by the amount of people who work in politics/government etc and weren't an indictment of their placement power(the way many on here seem to think).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Ferrisjso wrote: Well they probably walked around and did some other stuff but yeah I felt bad lol. I announced for the Cardozo thing and asked if anyone wanted to hang out and no one ever responded, so I thought the same thing would have happened here, would have been happy to meet you to! Am I really infamous lol? My table(which didn't have any parents) had people who had either already decided to go to UCONN, or were choosing between UCONN and BU/BC(either in or WL). In terms of walking I do think it would be doable from my discussions with administrators(and from looking around).

The reason I am likely not attending is the risk of not getting the in state tuition and the signals I received on that front were not the ones I wanted to, which seeing that it's a 60k+ gamble was a huge deal breaker. If I want CT, I just don't think UCONN is worth over 100k more than QU(which impressed the holy hell out of me at ASD). If my best case scenario of in state tuition for the second and third year was guaranteed, I might bite the bullet but the risk of having 200k in loans coming out of school when I could just go to QU for basically COL didn't seem worth it. I liked the school and was particularly impressed by what was said about the career services office(in contrast with Cardozo where they seemed quite straightforward about the whole concept of class rank=better jobs) but it didn't do enough to convince me to make the financial sacrifices I was preparing to possibly make. I'm still open to UCONN if I get more money but I have good reason to believe I will not be getting anymore. I did leave with the impression that UCONN's employment stats(which I think were 59% or something like that for JD jobs) were deflated by the amount of people who work in politics/government etc and weren't an indictment of their placement power(the way many on here seem to think).
So TLS is my thing to do when I want to procrastinate and not do actual work but want to look like I'm doing actual work. One day I came across the many pages of your Cardozo vs UCONN thread and it was seriously one of the funniest reads. Since then I've seen your name referenced on other threads, so yea you're a little infamous on TLS, not sure if thats good or bad though. I'm surprised you were impressed by QU. Its a brand new school so it has a lot of great features but I couldn't make it past my interview with the new dean of admissions. He gave me a creepy vibe, and then when I was accepted he left me a vm that came off even creepier. Maybe it was me, I'm a talker, maybe he thought we were on that "level" who knows. Oh, and I hate conditional scholarships.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 am

jrbuckler wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: Well they probably walked around and did some other stuff but yeah I felt bad lol. I announced for the Cardozo thing and asked if anyone wanted to hang out and no one ever responded, so I thought the same thing would have happened here, would have been happy to meet you to! Am I really infamous lol? My table(which didn't have any parents) had people who had either already decided to go to UCONN, or were choosing between UCONN and BU/BC(either in or WL). In terms of walking I do think it would be doable from my discussions with administrators(and from looking around).

So TLS is my thing to do when I want to procrastinate and not do actual work but want to look like I'm doing actual work. One day I came across the many pages of your Cardozo vs UCONN thread and it was seriously one of the funniest reads. Since then I've seen your name referenced on other threads, so yea you're a little infamous on TLS, not sure if thats good or bad though. I'm surprised you were impressed by QU. Its a brand new school so it has a lot of great features but I couldn't make it past my interview with the new dean of admissions. He gave me a creepy vibe, and then when I was accepted he left me a vm that came off even creepier. Maybe it was me, I'm a talker, maybe he thought we were on that "level" who knows. Oh, and I hate conditional scholarships.
TLS is one of the only websites that isn't blocked by my work. (And my work even blocks gmail .....). That thread was entertainment gold in comparison to what I can actually access.

I honestly didn't stay for the entire ASD. The panels were interesting only to an extent and I'm already deposited, and assuming I don't get off the waitlist at BC with a hefty scholly (lol I dream), I'll be there in August.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:00 am

jrbuckler wrote:

Well at least something positive came from my thread! In terms of the Admissions Dean, I thought he was nice and while I can see where you're coming from, I attributed it more as an effort to lock up the people with higher stats. QU actually dropped my conditional scholarship.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 am

snw2367 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

TLS is one of the only websites that isn't blocked by my work. (And my work even blocks gmail .....). That thread was entertainment gold in comparison to what I can actually access.

I honestly didn't stay for the entire ASD. The panels were interesting only to an extent and I'm already deposited, and assuming I don't get off the waitlist at BC with a hefty scholly (lol I dream), I'll be there in August.
I'm glad to be of service with the entertainment, and there's a possibility you were sitting at my table(there was 1 maybe 2 guys at my table who were WL'd at BC, don't remember).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrbuckler

New

Post by jrbuckler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:58 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
jrbuckler wrote:

I'm glad to be of service with the entertainment, and there's a possibility you were sitting at my table(there was 1 maybe 2 guys at my table who were WL'd at BC, don't remember).

I only had 1 guy at my table so it must have been different. I was at a table right in the center of the room, and you would have known if you were at my table I was one of the only blonde females in their early 30's. I was hoping to connect with another night student while I was there but I met none! If the ASD did anything it made me want to switch to day.

As far at the QU dean went, I'm sure you're right, I'm hard to please. Its almost like it was off-putting that the school and faculty seemed too flexible and accommodating. I'm glad they took the condition off your scholarship any chance you were able to get more money from them?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:30 am

Wow it's so refreshing to hear that there are others who are torn between UConn + BC! I seem to change my mind almost every day. A little disappointed because a person from career services hasn't gotten back to my email yet (just asking some general questions about CT hiring), here's hoping they contact me before Saturday!

Glad to see that ASD went well!

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 am

Stylnator wrote:Wow it's so refreshing to hear that there are others who are torn between UConn + BC! I seem to change my mind almost every day. A little disappointed because a person from career services hasn't gotten back to my email yet (just asking some general questions about CT hiring), here's hoping they contact me before Saturday!

Glad to see that ASD went well!
Fingers crossed! I think for me my decision was made by the fact that I will be virtually debt free upon graduation. I can't stomach being 100k+ when zero is an option.

nw2020

New

Post by nw2020 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Anyone here apply in March and still waiting for a decision?

Application received: March 16.
Under review: March 30.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KBeast

New

Post by KBeast » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01 pm

nw2020 wrote:Anyone here apply in March and still waiting for a decision?

Application received: March 16.
Under review: March 30.
I did! I was "complete" as of 3/6, UR as of 3/29 and am still waiting for a decision. It feels like it's taking forever.

mycollar

New

Post by mycollar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Anyone see any movement off the waitlist?

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Got an email today with a waitlist update. Anybody else on the waitlist get it? Just saying they anticipate movement on the waitlist in July/August and want to be able to contact applicants asap so keep your contact info updated and thanks for being patient.

mycollar

New

Post by mycollar » Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 am

KME89 wrote:Got an email today with a waitlist update. Anybody else on the waitlist get it? Just saying they anticipate movement on the waitlist in July/August and want to be able to contact applicants asap so keep your contact info updated and thanks for being patient.
Received the same email. Pretty late for a decision, but I told them I'm electing to remain on the waitlist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mycollar

New

Post by mycollar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Got in as a Dean's Scholar with a scholarship for 75% of tuition! Anyone know if there are any GPA requirements on this? None were mentioned in the initial email or in my packet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”