University of Oregon class of 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whodareswins

Bronze

University of Oregon class of 2020

Post by whodareswins » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Anybody else applying to UO? Best in the state and 2nd best in the NW according to them. I went xomplete early November and haven't heard anything yet.
Last edited by whodareswins on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Re: University of Oregon

Post by Capt_Beatty » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:10 pm

I've thought about applying there. How is it compared to L&C? Besided being higher ranked and 12k cheaper a year? Does UofO have pull in Portland?
Last edited by Capt_Beatty on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 pm

whodareswins wrote:Anybody else applying to UO? Best in the state and 2nd best in the NW according to them. I went xomplete early November and haven't heard anything yet.
Status complete: 11/21
Under Review: 12/5
Decision: Still waiting, decision will be sent via mail regardles of accept/deny

The Pacific Northwest rankings are accurate. #1 U of Washington, #2 U of Oregon, #3 Lewis & Clark. However, there's a substantial drop off after U of Washington (#33 nationwide) to U of Oregon (#78 nationwide). I would be wary of attending U of Oregon if you are looking for a big law position or job outside of Oregon. From what I can gather, it seems like a great regional school with a strong environmental program. Good luck!

*stats gathered via USN

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:21 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:I've thought about applying there. How is it compared to L&C? Besided being higher ranked and 12k cheaper a year? Does UofO have pull in Portland?
I'm visiting both campuses next week. I will post what I find out.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:50 pm

chili_davis wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:I've thought about applying there. How is it compared to L&C? Besided being higher ranked and 12k cheaper a year? Does UofO have pull in Portland?
I'm visiting both campuses next week. I will post what I find out.
great, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:05 pm

whodareswins wrote:Anybody else applying to UO? Best in the state and 2nd best in the NW according to them. I went xomplete early November and haven't heard anything yet.
Oregon native here. Applying to both UO and LC. Sent during the second week of November and haven't heard anything either.

UO has some pull in Portland. They recently started a Portland program available to 3Ls. This is a plus for those looking to network in the hopes of finding work in Portland after graduation.

However, when comparing these two schools, I believe the majority of partners at Portland firms hail from LC.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:19 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
Oregon native here. Applying to both UO and LC. Sent during the second week of November and haven't heard anything either.

UO has some pull in Portland. They recently started a Portland program available to 3Ls. This is a plus for those looking to network in the hopes of finding work in Portland after graduation.

However, when comparing these two schools, I believe the majority of partners at Portland firms hail from LC.
I have family in Portland, from the west coast originally. I'd prefer Davis or UW. I walked around L&C's campus last year on their winter break, I absolutely love the setting. You're right, like Stoel Rivers LLP in portland or other firms, there seem to be a lot of LC alum represented there.

The cost is a downside though. I guess Davis is just as expensive but I imagine there's more scholarship opportunities at a public school/

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:35 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:

I have family in Portland, from the west coast originally. I'd prefer Davis or UW. I walked around L&C's campus last year on their winter break, I absolutely love the setting. You're right, like Stoel Rivers LLP in portland or other firms, there seem to be a lot of LC alum represented there.

The cost is a downside though. I guess Davis is just as expensive but I imagine there's more scholarship opportunities at a public school/
Yeah, LC does not have much money to give.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Oregon native here. UO undergrad as well. Lewis and Clark admissions let me know that they do not offer full rides, but that their scholarships can approach a full ride. UO just received a substantial amount of $$$ from the parent institution and I wouldn't be surprised if more full rides were given this year to try to draw in applicants with higher stats. Would also caution anybody against attending without a substantial scholly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Update, accepted today with full ride scholly.

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:53 pm

whodareswins wrote:Update, accepted today with full ride scholly.
\
Congrats! How long after you went UR to get a decision? Sent by mail?

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:08 pm

chili_davis wrote:
whodareswins wrote:Update, accepted today with full ride scholly.
\
Congrats! How long after you went UR to get a decision? Sent by mail?
Sent via email. Sorry, I haven't been checking status checkers, but I went complete 11/5 or so.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:16 pm

In with a full ride as well!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:03 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:In with a full ride as well!
Congrats! Think you're going to matriculate?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:15 pm

chili_davis wrote:
It's a pretty tempting offer. I still have apps out at a few schools. Gonna wait and see what happens with those before I decide.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:03 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
It's a pretty tempting offer. I still have apps out at a few schools. Gonna wait and see what happens with those before I decide.
I'm in the same boat. Need to see what UW, Wustl, UCLA, Boston, and Vandy offer as far as $$$.

Still waiting on Michigan, Berkeley, and Duke. Would be lucky to get in let alone receive $

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:09 am

whodareswins wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
I'm in the same boat. Need to see what UW, Wustl, UCLA, Boston, and Vandy offer as far as $$$.

Still waiting on Michigan, Berkeley, and Duke. Would be lucky to get in let alone receive $
UW is probably my first choice. What're your career goals?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smow4029

New

Post by smow4029 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Got in w/ close to a full ride...Grew up in the PNW and always was told that U of O was reputable - a few associates in my dad's firm in Seattle are Ducks. Anyone know what it's like in Eugene? Job market, etc.? I've heard it's a little bleak.

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:51 pm

smow4029 wrote:Got in w/ close to a full ride...Grew up in the PNW and always was told that U of O was reputable - a few associates in my dad's firm in Seattle are Ducks. Anyone know what it's like in Eugene? Job market, etc.? I've heard it's a little bleak.
Congrats. I received a full ride, and went to check out Eugene not too long ago. It's 100% a college town in the heart of Oregon, but unfortunately not a large market. Portland's not too far away, and I've learned there's definitely an alumni base established. Also you can choose to spend your third year of LS in Portland where there's a satellite campus. Bottom line, job market's going to be a hustle but you can overcome with solid GPA.

Notes from my visit; beautiful campus, newer law facilities, midsize mountain town, nice community, but wish it were closer to Portland. PM if you want specifics.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 pm

chili_davis wrote:
smow4029 wrote:Got in w/ close to a full ride...Grew up in the PNW and always was told that U of O was reputable - a few associates in my dad's firm in Seattle are Ducks. Anyone know what it's like in Eugene? Job market, etc.? I've heard it's a little bleak.
Congrats. I received a full ride, and went to check out Eugene not too long ago. It's 100% a college town in the heart of Oregon, but unfortunately not a large market. Portland's not too far away, and I've learned there's definitely an alumni base established. Also you can choose to spend your third year of LS in Portland where there's a satellite campus. Bottom line, job market's going to be a hustle but you can overcome with solid GPA.

Notes from my visit; beautiful campus, newer law facilities, midsize mountain town, nice community, but wish it were closer to Portland. PM if you want specifics.

+1. Grew up in Portland. Dad is an Oregon Law alum. All of this is spot on.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:30 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:
whodareswins wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
chili_davis wrote:

UW is probably my first choice. What're your career goals?
I want to do public interest work at a high level. Ideally would clerk after law school for a federal court judge. How about you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Interviewed at Lewis & Clark in person last week. I haven't applied to the U of O yet but I might. Their tuition is pretty reasonable and I can't see how L&C beats them aside from a shorter commute to the metro area.

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:58 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:Interviewed at Lewis & Clark in person last week. I haven't applied to the U of O yet but I might. Their tuition is pretty reasonable and I can't see how L&C beats them aside from a shorter commute to the metro area.
Interviewed in-person as well. What were your thoughts? I thought highly of the interactions I had with the staff, but have concerns regarding the reputation outside of the region. I think I'm leaning toward schools with national recognition and large alumni networks, but really enjoyed my visit to Portland. Not out of the running yet.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:04 pm

chili_davis wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:Interviewed at Lewis & Clark in person last week. I haven't applied to the U of O yet but I might. Their tuition is pretty reasonable and I can't see how L&C beats them aside from a shorter commute to the metro area.
Interviewed in-person as well. What were your thoughts? I thought highly of the interactions I had with the staff, but have concerns regarding the reputation outside of the region. I think I'm leaning toward schools with national recognition and large alumni networks, but really enjoyed my visit to Portland. Not out of the running yet.
Yeah, I mean, the PDX legal community is what it is. I have family in the area and I definitely would like to practice in Portland, but yeah bigger markets obviously ease the job placement anxiety. Are you looking into Davis or UW?

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:20 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
Yeah, I mean, the PDX legal community is what it is. I have family in the area and I definitely would like to practice in Portland, but yeah bigger markets obviously ease the job placement anxiety. Are you looking into Davis or UW?
I applied to Davis, Colorado, U of O, L & C, Utah, and USC. Would love to end up in Portland, but as you said it is what it is. Davis would be nice, but I live in the Sac area now and it's kind of a drag (just my opinion). Also, would be competing with Berkeley/Stanford/Hastings crowd for SF jobs. I'm just going to pick somewhere I would enjoy living/studying in for 3 years, then hustle/network my ass off to get a job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”