University of Oregon class of 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Re: University of Oregon class of 2020

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:45 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:Anyone going to the ASW? Currently packing a bag!
Did you end up going to ASW? What'd you think? Anyone else who went have any impressions they'd like to share?
Thursday started with an introduction from the deans, both of whom seemed very intelligent and engaged.

The building is large and centrally located. Overall, the facilities are impressive.

The mock LRW class was well done . The professor seemed quite knowledgeable, and could communicate clearly and effectively.

IMO, the presentation from the Career Center was quite poor. The director seemed very skilled and personable, but she spent a solid chunk of the time telling us why some students failed to get jobs and what they could have done differently. It almost felt like she was trying to pass the buck. That didn't exactly inspire my confidence.

The current students seemed very happy, and the atmosphere was very collegial. Eugene is an amazing college town.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:31 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:Anyone going to the ASW? Currently packing a bag!
Did you end up going to ASW? What'd you think? Anyone else who went have any impressions they'd like to share?
Thursday started with an introduction from the deans, both of whom seemed very intelligent and engaged.

The building is large and centrally located. Overall, the facilities are impressive.

The mock LRW class was well done . The professor seemed quite knowledgeable, and could communicate clearly and effectively.

IMO, the presentation from the Career Center was quite poor. The director seemed very skilled and personable, but she spent a solid chunk of the time telling us why some students failed to get jobs and what they could have done differently. It almost felt like she was trying to pass the buck. That didn't exactly inspire my confidence.

The current students seemed very happy, and the atmosphere was very collegial. Eugene is an amazing college town.
Thanks for the low-down, TakeItToTrial. I appreciate it. The more I hear about OR the more I'm liking it. Bonus fact: if you're into woodworking (as I am), your student ID works like a free gym pass at the School of Art/Architecture's woodshop!

I got an e-mail that said they'll be hosting Admitted Students events each Friday of April, so I'm really hoping to make it down there for that. Anyone thinking about attending one of these Fridays in April?

Also, anyone else waiting to hear back on a $cholly reconsideration from Oregon? I've been waiting patiently, but the seat deposit deadline is in 2 weeks, and I haven't heard anything about my reconsideration :/

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Likely withdrawing. I appreciate the full ride offer but the employment stats are spooky.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 pm

whodareswins wrote:Likely withdrawing. I appreciate the full ride offer but the employment stats are spooky.
Bro! You started this thread--you can't abandon us now! All joking aside, I get it.

If it weren't for the employment stats, do you think you'd still be interested in Oregon? Where're you considering instead, if I may ask?

[Edit: Judging by what I see on LSN, I'm gonna guess USC?]

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:48 am

NonTrad82 wrote:
whodareswins wrote:Likely withdrawing. I appreciate the full ride offer but the employment stats are spooky.
Bro! You started this thread--you can't abandon us now! All joking aside, I get it.

If it weren't for the employment stats, do you think you'd still be interested in Oregon? Where're you considering instead, if I may ask?

Yeah that would make me feel more comfortable. I did my undergrad at UO and had a great experience. Everything is great about both Eugene and the university.

I'm most likely going to go to either BU or BC. My SO and I are considering a move there (it's her home town), and my numbers weren't up to Harvard standards.

Are you considering matriculating?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:54 pm

whodareswins wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:

Yeah that would make me feel more comfortable. I did my undergrad at UO and had a great experience. Everything is great about both Eugene and the university.

I'm most likely going to go to either BU or BC. My SO and I are considering a move there (it's her home town), and my numbers weren't up to Harvard standards.

Are you considering matriculating?
Thats sounds like a solid plan--I've heard Boston (school and city) are pretty great. I'm committed to staying in the PNW (for a # of reasons), so I am thinking of matriculating at Oregon, and likely already would have, but I'm holding out for UW's FinAid office to release $cholly info, as thats my other main contender. And yeah, after seeing what LSAC's gpa re-calculation did to me, even a perfect LSAT score probably wouldn't be good enough for HYS admissions for me :/ C'est la vie, eh? Goodluck on your cycle

Duckbyblood

New

Post by Duckbyblood » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
Many thank-you's, Duckbyblood. You make Oregon sound petty appealing! Since you ask, I do have some specific questions ;)

Q1.) Did they mention anything about in/externship possibilities for 1L's in/near Eugene (e.g.: how many, what kinds)?
Q2.) I know they're shooting for 100-105 1L's--did they say anything about section sizes?
Q3.) Any discussion of the 1L fellowship program, or the 2L/3L "teaching fellowships"?
Q4.) What were your impressions of Eugene, especially near campus?
Q5.) Have you deposited? If so, what swayed you?

Thank you for responding, and future thanks for any other insights/info you might still have.
1. they mentioned externship opportunities in Salem (about an hour away) and clinic opportunities in Eugene. It seemed like a good number of the Student guides had externships.

2. Said section sizes would be about 50-60

3. They encouraged all to apply for a 1l fellowship if they had a good idea of what they wanted to focus on. Prior experience isn't necessary. 1l fellowships seem to be a lot of grunt work for putting on conferences, but will probably lead to good experience.

4. Eugene is a college town. If you like either sports or college rock music you will have things to do, if you like neither you might find yourself struggling. The student leaders made a big production of making Eugene sound metropolitian, but it isn't.

5. I haven't deposited yet, but fully intend to. The employment numbers are rough, but that is by virtue of the fact that getting employment in Portland is hard. However, if you want to practice in Portland UofO is probably your best bet even if it is anything but a sure thing.

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 am

Withdrew today, good luck everyone!

cmt11

New

Post by cmt11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 am

Also withdrew. Hopefully that helps somebody!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:13 pm

chili_davis wrote:Withdrew today, good luck everyone!
cmt11 wrote:Also withdrew. Hopefully that helps somebody!
Would this have anything to do with the $cholly reconsiderations? Something else? What made you decide?

I got my reconsideration back yesterday, and the Dean's letter said something like "due to higher than expected enrollment, funds are exhausted". I was pretty disappointed :/

smow4029

New

Post by smow4029 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Also withdrawing this week. Ultimately, the school would have been a good fit but the overall living/town/employment situation wasn't going to work for me and my partner. Hopefully this helps someone else out!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:47 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
Would this have anything to do with the $cholly reconsiderations? Something else? What made you decide?

I got my reconsideration back yesterday, and the Dean's letter said something like "due to higher than expected enrollment, funds are exhausted". I was pretty disappointed :/
UO stepped up and gave me close to a full ride, but due to employment prospects/rankings/attrition/market size I have decided to look elsewhere. Hopefully I freed up some scholly cash!

cmt11

New

Post by cmt11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 pm

chili_davis wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:

UO stepped up and gave me close to a full ride, but due to employment prospects/rankings/attrition/market size I have decided to look elsewhere. Hopefully I freed up some scholly cash!

Same here. I would have been set up nicely to worry nearly solely about cost of living. It also seems like a great, supportive environment so I was pretty unhappy about declining, but the prospects had me shook.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Well, after UW offered me a $0 scholly, I've put down the first seat deposit at U of O, and I'm committed to becoming a Duck!

Anybody else certain that they'll be matriculating this Fall? Duckbyblood, I think you said you're in? I'm planning on visiting the school the last Friday in April for a student's day--would love to meet any fellow TLSers/future Ducks in the neighborhood.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 am

I attended the admitted students day today at UO. I was pretty impressed, and now I'm even more happy with my decision to attend--I think the school/programs/people/town are going to be a great fit for me.

If anybody has any questions about UO, feel free to hit me up!

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Tue May 23, 2017 4:59 pm

those that have been admitted-- how have you been notified? My status checker changed to decision rendered sometime between last Wednesday and today. Haven't gotten an e-mail.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:19 am

tofuspeedstar wrote:those that have been admitted-- how have you been notified? My status checker changed to decision rendered sometime between last Wednesday and today. Haven't gotten an e-mail.
I got a large (8.5 x 11) envelope in the mail. It had acceptance letter, and all manner of additional info. My $cholly letter came separately, a week or two later in an e-mail.

You thinking of committing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Wed May 24, 2017 11:37 am

NonTrad82 wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:those that have been admitted-- how have you been notified? My status checker changed to decision rendered sometime between last Wednesday and today. Haven't gotten an e-mail.
I got a large (8.5 x 11) envelope in the mail. It had acceptance letter, and all manner of additional info. My $cholly letter came separately, a week or two later in an e-mail.

You thinking of committing?
If the money is right, most definitely. I like the area. Even though I'm a Texas native I have a west coast personality.

However, the employment prospects scare me b/c I know Washington cleans up in most of the PNW.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:18 am

Anyone applied for, obtained, or heard back about the 1L Fellowship for the Fall? I applied in January and--despite the unfavorably long wait--I'm still holding out hope I'll land one. Any thoughts are welcome.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Well, the June 1st seat deposit deadline has passed, so presumably anyone looking to become a Duck has made the decision. I'll be moving into my apartment in Eugene in July, and I'm getting excited!

Anyone else know for sure they're going to UO? Let's get the thread UO Class of 2020 thread going again!!! Might be interesting to get to know each other before orientation, discuss school, housing, Eugene, etc..

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 pm

No future Ducks on TLS, eh?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”