University of Oregon class of 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Re: University of Oregon

Post by Capt_Beatty » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:30 pm

chili_davis wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:Interviewed at Lewis & Clark in person last week. I haven't applied to the U of O yet but I might. Their tuition is pretty reasonable and I can't see how L&C beats them aside from a shorter commute to the metro area.
Interviewed in-person as well. What were your thoughts? I thought highly of the interactions I had with the staff, but have concerns regarding the reputation outside of the region. I think I'm leaning toward schools with national recognition and large alumni networks, but really enjoyed my visit to Portland. Not out of the running yet.
Yeah, I mean, the PDX legal community is what it is. I have family in the area and I definitely would like to practice in Portland, but yeah bigger markets obviously ease the job placement anxiety. Are you looking into Davis or UW?
I applied to Davis, Colorado, U of O, L & C, Utah, and USC. Would love to end up in Portland, but as you said it is what it is. Davis would be nice, but I live in the Sac area now and it's kind of a drag (just my opinion). Also, would be competing with Berkeley/Stanford/Hastings crowd for SF jobs. I'm just going to pick somewhere I would enjoy living/studying in for 3 years, then hustle/network my ass off to get a job.
Not a bad route to go. Yeah, I'm from Sac originally, south sac actually. I'd only want to live in midtown or the pocket area if I were to ever live in Sac again. Fuck Elk Grove, South sac, roseville, folsom, rancho murieta, etc lol

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:20 am

whodareswins wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
whodareswins wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:In with a full ride as well!
Congrats! Think you're going to matriculate?
It's a pretty tempting offer. I still have apps out at a few schools. Gonna wait and see what happens with those before I decide.
I'm in the same boat. Need to see what UW, Wustl, UCLA, Boston, and Vandy offer as far as $$$.

Still waiting on Michigan, Berkeley, and Duke. Would be lucky to get in let alone receive $
UW is probably my first choice. What're your career goals?
I want to do public interest work at a high level. Ideally would clerk after law school for a federal court judge. How about you?
Nice, I would love a federal clerkship as well. They're hard to get from Oregon, however.

My plan is to start as a PD and get trial experience. Then hopefully start my own lit firm in PDX/Seattle.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:23 am

For those who got a full ride or close to it, what stipulation was attached?

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:21 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:For those who got a full ride or close to it, what stipulation was attached?
Must be full-time and maintain 2.50 GPA. However, haven't received my welcome packet yet. Could contain more information.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:21 pm

chili_davis wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:For those who got a full ride or close to it, what stipulation was attached?
Must be full-time and maintain 2.50 GPA. However, haven't received my welcome packet yet. Could contain more information.
2.50 is doable! Mine was full time and maintain a 3.0. Their median is a 2.7, so I am somewhat concerned.

I wonder if they stack one section with all the scholarship recipients and make them fight it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:51 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
2.50 is doable! Mine was full time and maintain a 3.0. Their median is a 2.7, so I am somewhat concerned.

I wonder if they stack one section with all the scholarship recipients and make them fight it out.
Can't imagine that's the case. Great questions to ask the admissions office though. Personally, I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools but can see myself going here. Really enjoyed the area on my visit and looking to end up in the Portland/Seattle area.

bearedman8

Bronze

Post by bearedman8 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Not applying to UO Law, but UO undergrad here. Let me know if y'all have any questions about the campus or student life! :)

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:49 pm

cianchetta0 wrote: Not a bad route to go. Yeah, I'm from Sac originally, south sac actually. I'd only want to live in midtown or the pocket area if I were to ever live in Sac again. Fuck Elk Grove, South sac, roseville, folsom, rancho murieta, etc lol
got the grove in your mouth. streets is watchin homie.....

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Trying to re-invigorate this thread. Lets see if anybody will bite...

Q1.) My acceptance packet briefly mentioned Oregon's 1L Fellowships--anybody know much about them?
Q2.) Class rank: How does it work at Oregon?
Q3.) Oregon AGO's office: Anyone know about intern/externship likelihoods?
Q4.) Is Willamette really better off in terms of their students getting intern/externships/etc. at the Oregon capitol and such?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cmt11

New

Post by cmt11 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:17 pm

In, got my scholarship info, but waiting for other decisions. Applied super late everywhere.
Got the info on the ASW, but I don't have an easy schedule to work around by the time deposits need to be put down (tax season :( ). So I'm hoping somebody can do a recap if they are going or already went.
Anything that came across better in person or anything that their website, emails, mailings didn't really communicate?

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:37 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:Interviewed at Lewis & Clark in person last week. I haven't applied to the U of O yet but I might. Their tuition is pretty reasonable and I can't see how L&C beats them aside from a shorter commute to the metro area.
Interviewed in-person as well. What were your thoughts? I thought highly of the interactions I had with the staff, but have concerns regarding the reputation outside of the region. I think I'm leaning toward schools with national recognition and large alumni networks, but really enjoyed my visit to Portland. Not out of the running yet.
Yeah, I mean, the PDX legal community is what it is. I have family in the area and I definitely would like to practice in Portland, but yeah bigger markets obviously ease the job placement anxiety. Are you looking into Davis or UW?
Do you guys know how LC does for Washington state placement/Seattle? I got $120k to LC/a small scholly at UW. I'm leaning towards UW with debt just cause I'm a little concerned about LC placement and opportunities.... but ~0 tuition debt also looks pretty nice.

Although I imagine that LC has nothing on UW for Seattle firm/in house corp placement, which is where I want to end up.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:33 pm

connordalto wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
Do you guys know how LC does for Washington state placement/Seattle? I got $120k to LC/a small scholly at UW. I'm leaning towards UW with debt just cause I'm a little concerned about LC placement and opportunities.... but ~0 tuition debt also looks pretty nice.

Although I imagine that LC has nothing on UW for Seattle firm/in house corp placement, which is where I want to end up.
You've received scholly info. from UW?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:01 pm

connordalto wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
chili_davis wrote:

I don't think LC places well in Seattle. I think you would have a better shot coming out of Oregon. How do you know you've received a small scholarship to UW? Or are you just assuming? As far as I know, they won't be releasing scholarship info until mid-March.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Last edited by connordalto on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:08 pm

connordalto wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
connordalto wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
Do you guys know how LC does for Washington state placement/Seattle? I got $120k to LC/a small scholly at UW (probably). I'm leaning towards UW with debt just cause I'm a little concerned about LC placement and opportunities.... but ~0 tuition debt also looks pretty nice.

I was just assuming, given their numbers/TLS sentiment. Was assuming sticker/up to a couple thousand as I am above both 75ths. But yeah, I agree that UW is probably the move for the northwest apart from a T6

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:41 pm

connordalto wrote:
connordalto wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
connordalto wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
chili_davis wrote:
Do you guys know how LC does for Washington state placement/Seattle? I got $120k to LC/a small scholly at UW (probably). I'm leaning towards UW with debt just cause I'm a little concerned about LC placement and opportunities.... but ~0 tuition debt also looks pretty nice.

I was just assuming, given their numbers/TLS sentiment. Was assuming sticker/up to a couple thousand as I am above both 75ths. But yeah, I agree that UW is probably the move for the northwest apart from a T6
Yeah, from the #s i've seen on LSN, it aint too pretty.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:15 pm

According to the LST report, UW's $chollys are (25/median/75) 9k/12.2k/20k. Just slightly more promising than what LSN suggests.

For me, given these #s, even at a 75%ile $cholly from UW gives me with a higher net COA than Oregon (mostly b/c Seattle COL is that much higher than Eugene's).

I'm still waiting on UW's $cholly info before committing to Oregon, but the part of me that hates waiting and obsessing over statistical outcomes wants to just deposit at Oregon, and say F#$% it to attending UW :/

Thoughts?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:According to the LST report, UW's $chollys are (25/median/75) 9k/12.2k/20k. Just slightly more promising than what LSN suggests.

For me, given these #s, even at a 75%ile $cholly from UW gives me with a higher net COA than Oregon (mostly b/c Seattle COL is that much higher than Eugene's).

I'm still waiting on UW's $cholly info before committing to Oregon, but the part of me that hates waiting and obsessing over statistical outcomes wants to just deposit at Oregon, and say F#$% it to attending UW :/

Thoughts?
Never hurts to wait it out. UW could surprise you and save you the $300 you spend on Oregon. But as you said, the scholly doesn't look promising.

Did you see the Oregon Bar Association is holding a weekend retreat for prospective law students? I got a packet if you're interested (PM me). Sounds like a great place to start networking.

NonTrad82

New

Re: University of Oregon class of 2020

Post by NonTrad82 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Looks like Oregon dropped a few spots in the 2018 USNWR rank :/

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2017-u ... re-here-2/

Not the kind of thing I want to see right now. Any thoughts about why?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Anyone going to the ASW? Currently packing a bag!

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Threw in a super late application last minute. Here's to hoping!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:00 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:Anyone going to the ASW? Currently packing a bag!
Thought about it, but not planning to matriculate.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Did you end up going to ASW? What'd you think? Anyone else who went have any impressions they'd like to share?

Duckbyblood

New

Post by Duckbyblood » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:01 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
Did you end up going to ASW? What'd you think? Anyone else who went have any impressions they'd like to share?
I went. All of my conversations with the professors were informative and engaging. I was very impressed with the LRW team, I have no doubt that this program would prepare me for the bulk of my legal work and that my resume would include a solid writing sample after working with them. It also sounded like each student was assigned a career service counselor who went above and beyond for them. I do not know if that is normally how career service offices are run, but that fact went a long way in assuaging my fears about post grad work (the man at the reception who graduated last spring and failed the bar brought those fears right back. He was a nice guy, but someone should have asked him not to come).

The actual law school is one building right on the edge of campus. I think it would be easy to spend most of your time there and not engage much with the undergrad population. Also the gym, as expected, was IMPRESSIVE.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Duckbyblood wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
I went. All of my conversations with the professors were informative and engaging. I was very impressed with the LRW team, I have no doubt that this program would prepare me for the bulk of my legal work and that my resume would include a solid writing sample after working with them. It also sounded like each student was assigned a career service counselor who went above and beyond for them. I do not know if that is normally how career service offices are run, but that fact went a long way in assuaging my fears about post grad work (the man at the reception who graduated last spring and failed the bar brought those fears right back. He was a nice guy, but someone should have asked him not to come).

The actual law school is one building right on the edge of campus. I think it would be easy to spend most of your time there and not engage much with the undergrad population. Also the gym, as expected, was IMPRESSIVE.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Many thank-you's, Duckbyblood. You make Oregon sound petty appealing! Since you ask, I do have some specific questions ;)

Q1.) Did they mention anything about in/externship possibilities for 1L's in/near Eugene (e.g.: how many, what kinds)?
Q2.) I know they're shooting for 100-105 1L's--did they say anything about section sizes?
Q3.) Any discussion of the 1L fellowship program, or the 2L/3L "teaching fellowships"?
Q4.) What were your impressions of Eugene, especially near campus?
Q5.) Have you deposited? If so, what swayed you?

Thank you for responding, and future thanks for any other insights/info you might still have.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”