BYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MrsV

New

Re: BYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by MrsV » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:43 pm

MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:
TheTaylor wrote:Got accepted via phonecall from the Dean on 2/6.
Had my interview on 1/25
Sent in my application 1/9.
I was told scholarship info and welcome packet are sent out the day after acceptance, hoping it is in the mail tomorrow.
Congrats!!! :D I am still waiting on a response.
Did you get your response??
No :x :cry: I don't know if I should be expecting to be WL or rejected at this point...The dean said they'd give me a decision around the third week of February and nothing. Maybe my rejection letter is in the mail. I thought I would get in because I got into Iowa, Colorado, and Utah (and I'm LDS) but who knows.

I'll let you know the decision as soon as I know.
Oh wow... I am so sorry to hear that! I completely understand where you are coming from. When I interviewed, the Dean said I should receive a decision in up to 3 weeks.

If you dont mind me asking... What are your stats??
Sounds like we're in the same boat :/

URM Not AA 155 3.8 Above average softs

My lsat score is killing me. It was my first try and I thought my softs could drag me through admissions rather than try to retake it.

What are yours?

Just got the call!! I am in! Dean Sorenson told me that the meeting got delayed a week which is why they took so long to call.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:27 pm

MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:
Had my interview on 1/25
I was told scholarship info and welcome packet are sent out the day after acceptance, hoping it is in the mail tomorrow.
No :x :cry: I don't know if I should be expecting to be WL or rejected at this point...The dean said they'd give me a decision around the third week of February and nothing. Maybe my rejection letter is in the mail. I thought I would get in because I got into Iowa, Colorado, and Utah (and I'm LDS) but who knows.

Oh wow... I am so sorry to hear that! I completely understand where you are coming from. When I interviewed, the Dean said I should receive a decision in up to 3 weeks.

My lsat score is killing me. It was my first try and I thought my softs could drag me through admissions rather than try to retake it.

What are yours?
Well I will tell you this, they definitely will not reject you. I can almost guarantee they will not do that. Hopefully I do hear back within the three weeks, the anticipation is killing me. I PMed you my stats!

Ms.JD2020

New

Post by Ms.JD2020 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:45 pm

MrsV wrote:
MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:
Had my interview on 1/25

What are yours?

Just got the call!! I am in! Dean Sorenson told me that the meeting got delayed a week which is why they took so long to call.
Congrats! I'm curious, how well did they keep your applicant status updated? I'm wondering if I should be expecting a call before my status is updated. Thanks for your insight, in advance!

MrsV

New

Post by MrsV » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm

I didn't really keep an eye on my checker. I think when I checked the day before the call it was still under review. I'd expect the call before the status update. Good luck!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Anybody check out the 2018 US News Rankings?? If they did, does this change how you feel about BYU?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrsV

New

Post by MrsV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:58 pm

onecallthats all wrote:Anybody check out the 2018 US News Rankings?? If they did, does this change how you feel about BYU?
Are you talking about the leaked Spivey list? Link: http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2017-u ... re-here-2/

Sucks that they dropped, but I was honestly surprised that they were so highly ranked to begin with. So, no changed feelings.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:43 pm

MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:Anybody check out the 2018 US News Rankings?? If they did, does this change how you feel about BYU?
Are you talking about the leaked Spivey list? Link: http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2017-u ... re-here-2/

Sucks that they dropped, but I was honestly surprised that they were so highly ranked to begin with. So, no changed feelings.
Why were you surprised they were ranked at #38? I feel like their employment statistics and medians are above alot of peer schools. Not at ALL getting defensive, just merely curious.

MrsV

New

Post by MrsV » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:57 am

onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:

Why were you surprised they were ranked at #38? I feel like their employment statistics and medians are above alot of peer schools. Not at ALL getting defensive, just merely curious.
What really makes them a competitive school is their tuition. It's outrageously low and ranks them as #1 school in investment return for law schools. Their employment stats are fine if you are interested in practicing constitutional or tax law in a small law firm. Granted, their job placements on average pay around 80,000 which is a fortune when average student debt is 50,000. On that account it is a great school. However, if you want to practice outside of Utah anything that is not tax law their brand name doesn't carry that much weight unless you rely on the underground Mormon network.

MrsV

New

Post by MrsV » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Did anyone else who has been admitted receive a box of goodies? Great recruiting tactic!

Also, does anyone know when we find out about scholarships? Do they email that info later or would I have been told on the phone if I got $$?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sawtooth

New

Post by Sawtooth » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:39 pm

MrsV wrote:Did anyone else who has been admitted receive a box of goodies? Great recruiting tactic!

Also, does anyone know when we find out about scholarships? Do they email that info later or would I have been told on the phone if I got $$?
Everyone gets the gift box. My scholarships info was included in the acceptance letter that came with the box.

Sawtooth

New

Post by Sawtooth » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:54 pm

MrsV wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
MrsV wrote:

What really makes them a competitive school is their tuition. It's outrageously low and ranks them as #1 school in investment return for law schools. Their employment stats are fine if you are interested in practicing constitutional or tax law in a small law firm. Granted, their job placements on average pay around 80,000 which is a fortune when average student debt is 50,000. On that account it is a great school. However, if you want to practice outside of Utah anything that is not tax law their brand name doesn't carry that much weight unless you rely on the underground Mormon network.
What small firm has a "constitutional law" practice?
I think looking at the average starting salaries of BYU law grads can be a little misleading. Law salaries are bimodal, so most BYU grads are going to be making 40-60k after law school, but the 10-30 students that land biglaw or Utah midlaw make 110-180k, raising the average. The COA is hard to beat though, especially considering how many students get scholarships.

kamimilli

New

Question ( since you just went through this )

Post by kamimilli » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 pm

BYU contacted me for a skype interview. Interview went well. After interview, BYU said they would call me in 10 days. I know I'll find out eventually, but man this waiting thing sucks ! Does a phone call mean I'm accepted ? It seems odd to call someone just to tell them " no " I would think they'd just send out a letter. Thoughts ? 162 LSAT 3.5 GPA

onecallthats all

Bronze

Re: Question ( since you just went through this )

Post by onecallthats all » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:26 pm

kamimilli wrote:BYU contacted me for a skype interview. Interview went well. After interview, BYU said they would call me in 10 days. I know I'll find out eventually, but man this waiting thing sucks ! Does a phone call mean I'm accepted ? It seems odd to call someone just to tell them " no " I would think they'd just send out a letter. Thoughts ? 162 LSAT 3.5 GPA
Are you URM?? GL!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:28 pm

onecallthats all wrote:
kamimilli wrote:BYU contacted me for a skype interview. Interview went well. After interview, BYU said they would call me in 10 days. I know I'll find out eventually, but man this waiting thing sucks ! Does a phone call mean I'm accepted ? It seems odd to call someone just to tell them " no " I would think they'd just send out a letter. Thoughts ? 162 LSAT 3.5 GPA
Are you URM??

Also, if they waitlist you or reject you they will send an email. If you get a phone call, it means the Dean is calling you is tell you that you got accepted. The decisions first go to a committee before they are finalized. Did they specifically say they would "call" you in ten days, or will get back/contact you in 10 days?

kamimilli

New

Post by kamimilli » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 pm

onecallthats all wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
Are you URM??

Also, if they waitlist you or reject you they will send an email. If you get a phone call, it means the Dean is calling you is tell you that you got accepted. The decisions first go to a committee before they are finalized. Did they specifically say they would "call" you in ten days, or will get back/contact you in 10 days?

What is URM / GL ? The Dean said she would call me within 10 days. She specifically said " call "

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:14 pm

kamimilli wrote:
What is URM / GL ? The Dean said she would call me within 10 days. She specifically said " call "
under represented minority
good luck

kamimilli

New

Post by kamimilli » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:21 pm

amta wrote:
kamimilli wrote:
good luck

Oh, haha thanks !

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 am

kamimilli wrote:
amta wrote:
kamimilli wrote:
good luck

Oh, haha thanks !

Soooooo.... are you URM? Or nah? Because that seriously matters with a school like BYU.

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 pm

What really makes them a competitive school is their tuition. It's outrageously low and ranks them as #1 school in investment return for law schools.[/quote]

I talked to a professor and recruiter the other day at BYU, they claim that low tuition rates hurt them. It implies that they spending less money on students. So that apparently can lower their ranking.

spqr351

New

Post by spqr351 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:01 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
I talked to a professor and recruiter the other day at BYU, they claim that low tuition rates hurt them. It implies that they spending less money on students. So that apparently can lower their ranking.
Oh por favor. Every tithe-paying member of the Church subsidizes tuition at BYU (you're welcome, btw). The endowment is large, and the Church distributes mega-millions between the CES schools every year. Even if the University or Board are parsimonious in their allocation to the law school, the excuse of "wah wah wah the money just isn't here" from professors and recruiting staff is just baloney.

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 pm

spqr351 wrote:
TheTaylor wrote:
Oh por favor. Every tithe-paying member of the Church subsidizes tuition at BYU (you're welcome, btw). The endowment is large, and the Church distributes mega-millions between the CES schools every year. Even if the University or Board are parsimonious in their allocation to the law school, the excuse of "wah wah wah the money just isn't here" from professors and recruiting staff is just baloney.
Umm.. I never said that the professor admitted that they don't spend money on students. I said that his claim was that the U.S. News looks at it that way. And I pay tithing too, so don't feel like everyone owes you a thank you because you pay it. I was just saying that U.S. News doesn't care all that much about low tuition, and they believe that it could reflect the money that the school has.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:40 pm

So what did people think of ASD??

Ms.JD2020

New

Post by Ms.JD2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 pm

For those of you who have been accepted, how did you receive your deposit information? Was it in your admittance packet, an email, or something else?

rheaton1984

New

Post by rheaton1984 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:47 am

Ms.JD2020 wrote:For those of you who have been accepted, how did you receive your deposit information? Was it in your admittance packet, an email, or something else?
You get an email from Graduate Studies that has a step by step process for paying your deposit. PM me if you have any questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”