Loyola Chicago c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smashbash

Bronze

Loyola Chicago c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by smashbash » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:51 am

Figured I'd make one since decisions should be coming out this month... I submitted 11/20, went complete 11/21, and status date has changed once on 11/26. Anyone else?

Admissions Stats
25th % 154/3.02
50th % 157/3.30
75th % 160/3.54
Last edited by smashbash on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carasrook

Bronze

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by carasrook » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:44 am

i applied a bit earlier but my status date also changed on 11/26!

smashbash

Bronze

Post by smashbash » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:16 pm

carasrook wrote:i applied a bit earlier but my status date also changed on 11/26!
Hmm maybe that's around the time they started reviewing apps... seems like last year 12/17 was the first recorded decision on LSN and the year before 12/11

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:29 pm

has anyone visited the campus? any feedback?

doritoslocostacos316

New

Post by doritoslocostacos316 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Hey peeps! Accepted today with scholarship info. So excited!! Good luck to everyone :) :D :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smashbash

Bronze

Post by smashbash » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:18 am

Accepted via email tonight with scholly info as well

smashbash

Bronze

Post by smashbash » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:20 am

kinglew wrote:has anyone visited the campus? any feedback?
I haven't yet, though I'd like to visit in February. I have a friend who lives in Chicago and goes to Loyola Law, so I can ask her questions if you guys have any

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:33 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Tue May 09, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:42 pm

I did once before. I think this is a very beautiful campus in a very beautiful city. There is a super luxury car dealership literally on the other side of the sidewalk - its in a great location. The Law School is inside a building with and accounts for about 8-9 full floors of that building. The main entrance is stunning, I wont spoil it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:37 am

smashbash wrote:
I haven't yet, though I'd like to visit in February. I have a friend who lives in Chicago and goes to Loyola Law, so I can ask her questions if you guys have any
can you ask her hows the general class atmosphere?

also how are the employment prospects for the chicago atmosphere?

did she get a scholarship? despite if she did or not does she enjoy loyola and feels like she made the right choice?

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:00 am

I go here if you guys have any questions.

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 am

Halltheway wrote:I go here if you guys have any questions.
my questions from earlier in this thread..
hows the general class atmosphere?

also how are the employment prospects for the chicago? any big firms at OCI?

did you get a scholarship? despite if you did or not do you enjoy loyola and feels like she made the right choice?

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:36 am

a few questions:
1. how big of a deal is the jesuit thing at Loyola? does the school really involve religion/Catholicism in classrooms/beyond? are most students catholic?
2. how'd you choose loyola? are you happy there?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:35 am

kinglew wrote:
my questions from earlier in this thread..
hows the general class atmosphere?

also how are the employment prospects for the chicago? any big firms at OCI?

did you get a scholarship? despite if you did or not do you enjoy loyola and feels like she made the right choice?

From what I've heard about other schools/my preconceived notions about law school classes (amount of work, cold calling, etc.) Loyola is pretty laid back. Most professors let you know at the beginning of the semester how their cold calling system works so it's not a huge surprise. Class atmosphere honestly depends on the section you're in. There are always going to be exceptions, with strict teachers and overzealous students but overall, it is pretty relaxed.

As far as employment prospects, I'm a 1L so I haven't made it to OCI quite yet. But there are a lot of opportunities available for students in regards to networking, employment and summer jobs. If you're interested in Health Law or IP, the amount of resources available are literally overflowing. I'm cautious to use the word guaranteed but it's pretty close. Also, if you plan on working in the Chicago market, firms are over inclined to hire from schools in the area. Most of the people working there went to one of the schools in the area so they "take care of you" in a way.

I did get a scholarship but I negotiated it higher to match another school in the area. It wasn't too big of a deal. As for whether I enjoy Loyola, it's hard to say. Yes. I think. I am one of those people that went to Loyola planning to transfer, and I still intend on applying, but as the days go by, I am more and more inclined to stay. I like it because I was oblivious to the amount of resources available to students. I know I've mentioned that a few times but it's really amazing. From employment opportunities, to student tutors for every class, they have pretty much got everything covered. It is not super competitive, which put me off at first because I have been in that overachiever, #1, go big or go home type of environment by entire life, but there are always going to be gunners, especially depending on the section you're in like I said before. Overall, I'm not unhappy with my choice. I know that it is possible for me to get where I want to go and to find a job, which is the ultimate goal. I hope that answered your question. Let me know if you want to know about anything further :)

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:45 am

carasrook wrote:
a few questions:
1. how big of a deal is the jesuit thing at Loyola? does the school really involve religion/Catholicism in classrooms/beyond? are most students catholic?

1. It's not a big deal. At all. The do introduce you to it at orientation but it's more of a "just so you know it's here" kind of thing. There is no pressure whatsoever. I've never had any encounters or obstacles with it and I don't know of anyone that has either. It's not present in class or any other factor, other than what you choose to participate it in on your own. In fact, they present it as more of a counseling/therapy/whatever you need it for service that they have available. I'm pretty sure most students aren't Catholic.

2. I lived in LA before law school but I am originally from IL, so I applied to schools in both places. Loyola was the highest ranked school I got into, so I went there. And yes, I do believe it is a bad idea to go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from but that's exactly what I did. Overall, it is a laid back school, not competitive, pretty relaxed but has an ample amount of resources for students. If you are interested in Health Law or IP, I would highly recommend it, especially if you want to work in this region. People go to law school for different reasons and they expect different things from it and various outcomes. That being said, whether you would be happy at Loyola depends on what makes you happy. If a laid back atmosphere is what you want, they have it. If you want to be in a competitive environment, then no.

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:26 pm

Halltheway wrote:
carasrook wrote:
a few questions:

1. It's not a big deal. At all. The do introduce you to it at orientation but it's more of a "just so you know it's here" kind of thing. There is no pressure whatsoever. I've never had any encounters or obstacles with it and I don't know of anyone that has either. It's not present in class or any other factor, other than what you choose to participate it in on your own. In fact, they present it as more of a counseling/therapy/whatever you need it for service that they have available. I'm pretty sure most students aren't Catholic.

2. I lived in LA before law school but I am originally from IL, so I applied to schools in both places. Loyola was the highest ranked school I got into, so I went there. And yes, I do believe it is a bad idea to go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from but that's exactly what I did. Overall, it is a laid back school, not competitive, pretty relaxed but has an ample amount of resources for students. If you are interested in Health Law or IP, I would highly recommend it, especially if you want to work in this region. People go to law school for different reasons and they expect different things from it and various outcomes. That being said, whether you would be happy at Loyola depends on what makes you happy. If a laid back atmosphere is what you want, they have it. If you want to be in a competitive environment, then no.
where do most students stay during their 1L year?

What have you seen as far as the prospects of making big law out of Loyola?

Is it true that there is way more women then men at Loyola?

Do you know anything about their tax program and how well it is?

T14orTbell

New

Post by T14orTbell » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:35 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Accepted today with over a full ride.

This is probably my second choice due to money.
Could you provide details on how you got the full ride+? I was told during my visit to Loyola that the largest scholarships they award are only for about 80% tuition (which is what I was offered) in order to provide $ to as many students as possible. This seems consistent with MyLSN and StartClass which both suggest they don't offer full scholarships. Feel free to PM me too. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:37 pm

T14orTbell wrote:

Could you provide details on how you got the full ride+? I was told during my visit to Loyola that the largest scholarships they award are only for about 80% tuition (which is what I was offered) in order to provide $ to as many students as possible. This seems consistent with MyLSN and StartClass which both suggest they don't offer full scholarships. Feel free to PM me too. Thanks.
Me too!!!!!!! Please share.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 pm

carasrook wrote:
T14orTbell wrote:

Last edited by waldorf on Tue May 09, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

T14orTbell

New

Post by T14orTbell » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:20 am

bwaldorf wrote:
carasrook wrote:
T14orTbell wrote:

Whoops, I pretty much immediately withdrew from Loyola so I forgot to update this thread. I was looking at the cost of part-time JDs when I posted this and forgot to update my post once I realized my mistake.

I was awarded 40k a year. Don't remember what full tuition is, but I believe it might have been more like 90%.

LSAT >> 75th, GPA >>>>>>> 75th.
Thanks for the response. They are the only school I've received a decision from so far so I'm stuck waiting for more to happen. I was curious if you tried negotiating at all. Mind if I ask what your first choice was/is?

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 am

T14orTbell wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
carasrook wrote:
T14orTbell wrote:

Whoops, I pretty much immediately withdrew from Loyola so I forgot to update this thread. I was looking at the cost of part-time JDs when I posted this and forgot to update my post once I realized my mistake.

I was awarded 40k a year. Don't remember what full tuition is, but I believe it might have been more like 90%.

Thanks for the response. They are the only school I've received a decision from so far so I'm stuck waiting for more to happen. I was curious if you tried negotiating at all. Mind if I ask what your first choice was/is?

We are in the same exact boat, except I was waitlisted at GW and UVA

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 am

T14orTbell wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
carasrook wrote:
T14orTbell wrote:

Wash U.

Good luck!

dervy

New

Post by dervy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Just got in! Status checker went to "Decision Made" and received an email about two hours later offering admission and a scholarship amount.

Sent/Received: 3/03/17
Complete: 3/07/17
Decision: 3/10/17

Loyola is my #2 choice. My #1 is a major reach, so it looks like I'll be in Chicago come fall. If it's useful for anyone, GPA <25% (detailed addendum, strong performance to offset bad freshman year), LSAT right between 50/75%. 5+ years work experience, strong LOR from work & university.

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm

kinglew wrote:
Halltheway wrote:
carasrook wrote:
a few questions:

where do most students stay during their 1L year?

What have you seen as far as the prospects of making big law out of Loyola?

Is it true that there is way more women then men at Loyola?

Do you know anything about their tax program and how well it is?

For BigLaw, it is definitely possible, but you're going to need the grades. Like I've said before, Chicago firms are very welcoming, almost biased, to Chicago schools so while you are competing with UChicago and Northwestern for summer associate positions, if you are top 10%, you are very likely to get a job. I know a lot of 2L's that are interested in BigLaw that easily got jobs at big firms but they are also at the top of their class.

Definitely more women. I would say 60%? Maybe 55. But it's not like a huge huge noticeable big thing.

There are a lot of great teachers for tax courses and they offer a certificate you receive upon graduation for taking a certain set of classes. I think that Loyola's bigger areas are IP, health law & child law, so tax isn't AS prominent as those but it is still a big program with great opportunities.

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Sorry, didn't see the question about living. There's actually more people that commute than I thought. I would say at least 1/3 of my section lives in the suburbs at home and commutes to school. The rest live in the city. I don't know if you're familiar with the area but there are A LOT of neighborhoods to choose from and apartments available. The school is two street down from Michigan Avenue so it's in the heart of downtown so there's a lot going on; lot's of shopping, grocery, apartments, etc., plus Northwestern is right around the corner so there are a lot of students in the area.

Hope this helps, let me know if you guys have any other questions!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”