Emory Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Re: Emory Law c/o 2020 (2016-2017)

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:20 am

2016 employment stats up - http://law.emory.edu/_includes/document ... y-2016.pdf

100+ firms - 26.4 percent. A marginal increase over last year. Not encouraging at all, considering peer WUSTL rose from 28.x percent to 41.x percent. :/

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:39 am

Just received my financial aid / award - 99k!

NYG

New

Post by NYG » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Very impressed with ASW! The info sessions and stuff were probably similar what you'd get from most schools, but the real selling point was the people. The current and admitted students all seem chill and fun and welcoming and I got the sense that it's a very supportive and positive environment. The social aspect definitely strong, if that's your thing. The area surrounding the school is beautiful too.

Though I was always leaning towards Emory even prior to ASW, it's gonna be hard to say no after what I saw.

confused_0L

New

Post by confused_0L » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:22 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:2016 employment stats up - http://law.emory.edu/_includes/document ... y-2016.pdf

100+ firms - 26.4 percent. A marginal increase over last year. Not encouraging at all, considering peer WUSTL rose from 28.x percent to 41.x percent. :/
It seems like the BL+FC rate has hovered around 30% for years, so I totally agree with you. That number isn't particularly strong, so I hope it can improve in relation to its T25 peers. To put that into perspective, WUSTL hit 45.2% this year, ND is around 36.6%, and even Boston College is around 39.6%. I do know that Atlanta is a competitive hub for grads from Duke, Vandy, UVA, Emory, and UGA, which may explain some of the low BL placement. Based on location alone, Emory probably has the best connection to Atlanta biglaw, but the competition from other Southern schools is undeniable. I wish these numbers could push closer to 35-40% like other peer schools.

The bigger red flag is Emory's drop in long-term JD-required jobs, which fell to 70.1% (-5.2% from last year). From the ABA report, it looks like many of those grads end up in JD-advantage positions in the business world. Emory has more people end up in business (~16%) than most schools, so I wonder how much of that number is grads self-selecting into Atlanta business job. It seems like a lot of Emory grads end up taking positions in Coca-Cola, Home Depot, etc - though maybe not acting as lawyer in that capacity. Those types of jobs don't sound like a bad gig at all, but I guess the knock is that you have an equal/better chance at winding up with those positions out of business school.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:42 pm

confused_0L wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:2016 employment stats up - http://law.emory.edu/_includes/document ... y-2016.pdf

It seems like the BL+FC rate has hovered around 30% for years, so I totally agree with you. That number isn't particularly strong, so I hope it can improve in relation to its T25 peers. To put that into perspective, WUSTL hit 45.2% this year, ND is around 36.6%, and even Boston College is around 39.6%. I do know that Atlanta is a competitive hub for grads from Duke, Vandy, UVA, Emory, and UGA, which may explain some of the low BL placement. Based on location alone, Emory probably has the best connection to Atlanta biglaw, but the competition from other Southern schools is undeniable. I wish these numbers could push closer to 35-40% like other peer schools.

The bigger red flag is Emory's drop in long-term JD-required jobs, which fell to 70.1% (-5.2% from last year). From the ABA report, it looks like many of those grads end up in JD-advantage positions in the business world. Emory has more people end up in business (~16%) than most schools, so I wonder how much of that number is grads self-selecting into Atlanta business job. It seems like a lot of Emory grads end up taking positions in Coca-Cola, Home Depot, etc - though maybe not acting as lawyer in that capacity. Those types of jobs don't sound like a bad gig at all, but I guess the knock is that you have an equal/better chance at winding up with those positions out of business school.
I agree with you. Emory has been stagnant for a while now for BL+FC numbers. Much lower than the peers. While students could be attracted toward corporates while in school, it may be because they realize they can't get BL or FC and because they end up feeling corporate gigs are better than small law or some such shit. Being an MBA, I can tell you, if given a chance upfront, I am certain those in the JD advantage positions would love to go back in time and do an MBA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

michelekfla

New

Post by michelekfla » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Just withdrew my app and scholly of $63k
I hope someone on here gets the spot and $$$!! Good Luck to all! :)

quietnoise

New

Post by quietnoise » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm

I got my rejection letter in mid-March. I got a voicemail this morning saying that they are having trouble locating my deposit form and my deposit didn't process correctly.

:|

I checked my emails to make sure I had received a rejection notice and had to call them back. They said they were sooooo sorry, but apparently my name was on the deposit list or something. And she saw my decision, and kept apologizing.

I wonder if I should have said, hey, maybe the mistake was the decision, not the deposit list.

JRP1994

New

Post by JRP1994 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Withdrew this afternoon. Good luck, fellow applicants!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”