ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cyclawps

Bronze

Re: ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020

Post by cyclawps » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:42 pm

TwoTwo1B wrote:New to the forum, admitted to ASU Law (Phoenix native) and planning on attending. For those that were asking about another Admitted Student's Day, there's another one coming up on 3/31 (I wasn't able to go to the one in December, either, but will be attending in March). Hope to see some of you there!
Congrats! Are you going to the Dean's lunch too?

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:45 pm

cyclawps wrote:
TwoTwo1B wrote:New to the forum, admitted to ASU Law (Phoenix native) and planning on attending. For those that were asking about another Admitted Student's Day, there's another one coming up on 3/31 (I wasn't able to go to the one in December, either, but will be attending in March). Hope to see some of you there!
Thanks! Yes, definitely - bringing my wife, too, so she can get an understanding of where I'll have disappeared to for the next three years!

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 pm

aryi3025 wrote:
TheTaylor wrote:Just got my call from the dean, on a Saturday! Excited to see what scholarship comes in the mail. How long does it generally take for the packet? I know mine will take longer because of the long weekend.
congrats! when did you go under review and when did you apply?
also what are your stats if you wouldn't mind
I applied on January 9. So it took 5 days, Monday to Saturday. It went under review on the 12th or 13th, I think.
My stats: 166 and 3.67

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 pm

TwoTwo1B wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Thanks! Yes, definitely - bringing my wife, too, so she can get an understanding of where I'll have disappeared to for the next three years!
Too real: "disappeared to for the next three years." Have you told her much about the 1L black hole of studying?

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

In today via phone call from the Dean!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

cyclawps wrote:
TwoTwo1B wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Too real: "disappeared to for the next three years." Have you told her much about the 1L black hole of studying?
We have a few friends who've already been through law school, so she has SOME idea. She went to med school, too, so hopefully she understands better than most.

With that being said, I've heard 1L year is harder than med school... So who knows. It's only a year, right? :)

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Pozzo wrote:In today via phone call from the Dean!
so fast

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm

amta wrote:
so fast
Stupid fast. I was shocked.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Pozzo wrote:
amta wrote:
so fast
ive UR since 1/9. slow and steady eh.

eta: did you do a why ASU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm

amta wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
amta wrote:
so fast
ive UR since 1/9. slow and steady eh.

eta: did you do a why ASU?
Hang tight. You got this.

I opted not to. My resume demonstrates strong enough regional/institutional ties that I decided to hold off and submit if I was WL'd.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:44 pm

in at ASU via phone call. number came up as unknown though so I didn't answer. left a very nice VM.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:47 pm

amta wrote:in at ASU via phone call. number came up as unknown though so I didn't answer. left a very nice VM.
'grats!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Pozzo wrote:
amta wrote:in at ASU via phone call. number came up as unknown though so I didn't answer. left a very nice VM.
'grats!
Thanks. Very excited about this one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Just got the call! very excited about the acceptance. 75 LSAT and 25th GPA. UR since 1/10

Packnole

New

Post by Packnole » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Got the call earlier today as well! Out of state with 161 and 3.56. UR since 1/10

AM1990

New

Post by AM1990 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Just checked my status checker and saw I was placed on hold. Should I send a LOCI or is that only needed for waitlist?

aghassemi91

New

Post by aghassemi91 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Waitlisted yesterday; 161/3.2 GPA. Anyone know when they start moving people out of the waitlist?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Got my scholarship info yesterday. I get less money every year after my first year. Really disappointed. UC Irvine has higher medians, and they offered me quite a bit more. I do not think I will be attending ASU.

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:42 pm

TheTaylor wrote:Got my scholarship info yesterday. I get less money every year after my first year. Really disappointed. UC Irvine has higher medians, and they offered me quite a bit more. I do not think I will be attending ASU.
Irvine costs quite a bit more to attend, though, no?

~50K out of state at UC Irvine vs. ~40K out of state at ASU. (And in-state, i.e. after first year, the difference is even more pronounced)

Does it work out that you'll be paying substantially more to go to ASU?

Huskies13!

Bronze

Post by Huskies13! » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Seriously--you ever look at a cost of living calculator too? Housing is about 30% higher in Orange County than Arizona! Check the numbers...

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Huskies13! wrote:Seriously--you ever look at a cost of living calculator too? Housing is about 30% higher in Orange County than Arizona! Check the numbers...
I know that, I am from So Cal. But if I want to practice immigration law in Southern California, it just makes more sense to go to Irvine. Plus if Irvine is offering me about $20,000 dollars more, that would cover the extra tuition costs and more. And they have on campus housing, so housing wouldn't really be that much more.
Last edited by TheTaylor on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:28 pm

TwoTwo1B wrote:
TheTaylor wrote:Got my scholarship info yesterday. I get less money every year after my first year. Really disappointed. UC Irvine has higher medians, and they offered me quite a bit more. I do not think I will be attending ASU.

~50K out of state at UC Irvine vs. ~40K out of state at ASU. (And in-state, i.e. after first year, the difference is even more pronounced)

Well I am from California. The in-state tuition for California is about $5,000 more than the out-of-state for ASU. The scholarship from UCI is big enough to make up for that. Living costs are higher, but I want to practice in Southern California and UCI has only been accredited for 2 years and is top 30. So if I am looking for a high ranked school, UCI makes sense.

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:30 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
TwoTwo1B wrote:

Well I am from California. The in-state tuition for California is about $5,000 more than the out-of-state for ASU. The scholarship from UCI is big enough to make up for that. Living costs are higher, but I want to practice in Southern California and UCI has only been accredited for 2 years and is top 30. So if I am looking for a high ranked school, UCI makes sense.
Definitely makes sense if you want to practice in Southern California. I had only assumed otherwise because your other posts had indicated that ASU was your first choice. Good luck to you!

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:30 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
TwoTwo1B wrote:

Are you saying that you pay in-state tuition at ASU after your first year?

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:33 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
Are you saying that you pay in-state tuition at ASU after your first year?
If I remember correctly you will be considered a resident after your first year - I believe everyone pays in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years.

I could be wrong, so don't take my word for it - but definitely ask the admissions staff.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”