ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Re: ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020

Post by TakeItToTrial » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:01 am

hyoung74 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:Anyone else attending the admitted students' event this week? Just submitted my travel stipend request. Arizona in December 8)

I will be attending. I just got an email with the agenda, and the reading assignment. Is anyone else going, and know how many people usually go?
Nice! I'll probably see you there. No idea how many people will be attending. I would guess it'll be a small gathering this early in the cycle, but you never know.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:05 am

What y'all think of today?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:30 am

beantheshadow wrote:What y'all think of today?
Loved the city and the weather. Very impressed by the new building and the faculty, especially Dean Sylvester. Did you attend?

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:12 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:
Loved the city and the weather. Very impressed by the new building and the faculty, especially Dean Sylvester. Did you attend?
Yeah I was there! The weather is awesome in the winter but the summers are horrible! :(

Overall great experience today, the faculty are friendly, the law school is beautiful.

Dean Sylvester had a really great presentation although I felt at times he focused too much on the school's rankings, it was superficial, he felt like a salesman at some points. But he also seemed very passionate.

When Justice O'Connor came in for those ten minutes, I really felt like I was in the presence of royalty. Lololol I thought it was cool she wanted to answer questions but it seemed like admissions kind of cut her off!

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:24 am

beantheshadow wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
Yeah I was there! The weather is awesome in the winter but the summers are horrible! :(

Overall great experience today, the faculty are friendly, the law school is beautiful.

Dean Sylvester had a really great presentation although I felt at times he focused too much on the school's rankings, it was superficial, he felt like a salesman at some points. But he also seemed very passionate.

When Justice O'Connor came in for those ten minutes, I really felt like I was in the presence of royalty. Lololol I thought it was cool she wanted to answer questions but it seemed like admissions kind of cut her off!
So I take it you're an AZ native?

I agree with everything you said about the dean's presentation. However, I also really liked how he seemed to be very focused student needs. It also seemed like he took the job of increasing and protecting the law school's reputation seriously.

Yeah, that was so cool. It did seem like she was rushed out of there, but I'm sure there was a reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spqr351

New

Post by spqr351 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:14 pm

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Received my scholarship info in the mail. Not what I expected.

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:13 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Received my scholarship info in the mail. Not what I expected.
Sorry to hear that. Is it enough to keep ASU on your shortlist?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 pm

FWIW: During the admitted students program, the admissions staff seemed very open to reviewing requests for scholarship reconsideration. They explicitly outlined how we could request a reconsideration during one of their presentations.

I was somewhat disappointed with their initial offering as well. However, I got the feeling they have more money to give but want to make us work for it/make sure we're seriously considering ASU.

But then again, who knows. Maybe they're being stingy so they can pay for that brand new building.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:43 am

cyclawps wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Is it enough to keep ASU on your shortlist?
I would need a larger scholarship to continue to consider ASU. I will definitely negotiate it, as it is one of my top choices if I go outside the T14.

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 pm

In with 162, 3.0. This is certainly an option, we will see what comes in the mail. Best of luck to all of you still waiting and congratulations to those who've already been accepted!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Anyone do a Why ASU? If so, where'd you upload it?

sspeckk

New

Post by sspeckk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Pozzo wrote:Anyone do a Why ASU? If so, where'd you upload it?
Accepted, but I haven't submitted a "Why ASU?". I don't believe one is necessary, but you may try contacting the admissions office if you'd like to submit one. They've been very responsive and helpful. Best of luck to you, Pozzo!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm

theorangewon wrote:In with 162, 3.0. This is certainly an option, we will see what comes in the mail. Best of luck to all of you still waiting and congratulations to those who've already been accepted!
when'd you submit?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 pm

sspeckk wrote:
Accepted, but I haven't submitted a "Why ASU?". I don't believe one is necessary, but you may try contacting the admissions office if you'd like to submit one. They've been very responsive and helpful. Best of luck to you, Pozzo!
he's probably worried about getting YP'd

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm

amta wrote:
sspeckk wrote:
he's probably worried about getting YP'd
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Fortunately, it was my ugrad so I'm hopeful that counts for something. Emailed the office today to see what they think about them. Let y'all know what I find out.

Also, if any of you are out of state and have questions on Phoenix/ASU, let me know!

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 pm

So, they say to keep the scholarship info confidential. Does that mean we can't show other schools if we are trying to negotiate scholarships??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm

ray.bee wrote:So, they say to keep the scholarship info confidential. Does that mean we can't show other schools if we are trying to negotiate scholarships??
I am not quite sure, that is a good question.

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 pm

amta wrote:
theorangewon wrote:In with 162, 3.0. This is certainly an option, we will see what comes in the mail. Best of luck to all of you still waiting and congratulations to those who've already been accepted!
when'd you submit?
12/27/16

TookDaBait

New

Post by TookDaBait » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:48 pm

C/O 16 grad here. PM me if you have any questions.

ASU Law was an amazing experience.

ski17

New

Post by ski17 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:09 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
ray.bee wrote:So, they say to keep the scholarship info confidential. Does that mean we can't show other schools if we are trying to negotiate scholarships??
I wouldn't risk it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Just got my call from the dean, on a Saturday! Excited to see what scholarship comes in the mail. How long does it generally take for the packet? I know mine will take longer because of the long weekend.

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:41 pm

ski17 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
I wouldn't risk it.
+1. You'll notice too that there aren't a lot of people on LSN sharing the larger scholarships.

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:03 pm

TheTaylor wrote:Just got my call from the dean, on a Saturday! Excited to see what scholarship comes in the mail. How long does it generally take for the packet? I know mine will take longer because of the long weekend.
congrats! when did you go under review and when did you apply?
also what are your stats if you wouldn't mind

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:32 pm

New to the forum, admitted to ASU Law (Phoenix native) and planning on attending. For those that were asking about another Admitted Student's Day, there's another one coming up on 3/31 (I wasn't able to go to the one in December, either, but will be attending in March). Hope to see some of you there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”