Cardozo Law C/O 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Charlie802

Bronze

Re: Cardozo Law C/O 2020

Post by Charlie802 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:25 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:How was ASD yesterday for those who attended? Any thoughts to share?
I went.

It was nice to see the school, which was pretty generic college feeling, and get familiar with the area, which is amazing, but it was obvious everyone was on their best behavior. i didn't learn too much that i couldn't tell online i don't think. i was pretty tired too so i didn't do much mingling and socializing but the free beer was nice.

maybe because i was tired, i didn't feel super excited at the end, but the more i'm thinking about it, cardozo seems to make a bit of sense for me. we'll see.
Good to know. Do you think you would have learned more from a one-on-one visit with a current student (not part of admissions)? I have an in with one and am considering that route over ASD. Also- did you do a housing tour? I have heard the Alabama is EXPENSIVE.
peep my edit.

The Alabama is a good way to throw 60k-80k down the drain. When I saw the price I said NOPE. That is a rip off. It is a nice building, but they priced it too high. I mean way high. I don't imagine many law students are loaded and can throw money away on housing just because it's pretty. I wanted to ask Cardozo did their students have job offers waiting for them that justified throwing $$$ on housing.

I had a full tuition skolly in UG. I splurged on housing and lived in the nicest apartments. I graduated and looked at my student loans and wanted to kick myself. I would have been debt free graduating college, if I didn't waste money on stupid shit. I didn't even spend most of my time in the apartment to justify the cost. I could have stayed doeming or found a cheap apt.
Thanks for sharing! Another perspective is always welcome! I am coming from out of state so on-campus is lucrative. Did you tour the other option they have by chance? I think it is supposed to be a little more expensive, but don't quote me on that.

Also ouch on the UG debt. I escaped that one luckily...

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:How was ASD yesterday for those who attended? Any thoughts to share?
I went.

It was nice to see the school, which was pretty generic college feeling, and get familiar with the area, which is amazing, but it was obvious everyone was on their best behavior. i didn't learn too much that i couldn't tell online i don't think. i was pretty tired too so i didn't do much mingling and socializing but the free beer was nice.

maybe because i was tired, i didn't feel super excited at the end, but the more i'm thinking about it, cardozo seems to make a bit of sense for me. we'll see.
Good to know. Do you think you would have learned more from a one-on-one visit with a current student (not part of admissions)? I have an in with one and am considering that route over ASD. Also- did you do a housing tour? I have heard the Alabama is AWESOME.

Not necessarily bc they had current students you could talk to at the cocktail reception so they had the one on one thing going on. but talking to a current student can never hurt

Didn't do the housing tour, there like 2400 a month which is nuts so i have no interest. i'd much rather live in a neighborhood like east village, les, long island city, etc

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
I went.

Good to know. Do you think you would have learned more from a one-on-one visit with a current student (not part of admissions)? I have an in with one and am considering that route over ASD. Also- did you do a housing tour? I have heard the Alabama is AWESOME.

Not necessarily bc they had current students you could talk to at the cocktail reception so they had the one on one thing going on. but talking to a current student can never hurt

Didn't do the housing tour, there like 2400 a month which is nuts so i have no interest. i'd much rather live in a neighborhood like east village, les, long island city, etc
Interesting! I just did a quick search on housing (just a 10 min. craigslist search) and it does seem like it could be possible to find something more reasonable, just will require more effort. It all looks expensive compared to where I am from, but that is 100% to be expected.

Thanks for your insight!

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:00 am

Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
I went.

Interesting! I just did a quick search on housing (just a 10 min. craigslist search) and it does seem like it could be possible to find something more reasonable, just will require more effort. It all looks expensive compared to where I am from, but that is 100% to be expected.

Thanks for your insight!
yep no problem. i'd basically search cl for shared apartments with a max price of 1200 per month. i'd avoid williamsburg and bushwick because the subway (l train) that goes there is closing soon i think for maintenance but other parts of brooklyn on the 2/3 train are (relatively) affordable. also in nyc brokers fee are a thing from what i hear and can be quite expensive (1-2 months rent) so be aware of that

edit-i also think it's worth pointing out that the col on cardozos website includes 14k a year for housing. that's about 1150 per month in rent. so using cardozos housing will increase your estimated col by over 10k per year

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:52 am

You can avoid broker's fees in NYC - not every apt has them. I'd just make sure you're on a lease so that you don't have to worry about being homeless in the middle of the semester.

I guess their sushi bar was nice. I'm a little annoyed that the student panel was comprised of basically the top 5%. Like this guy's CV is impressive af.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:You can avoid broker's fees in NYC - not every apt has them. I'd just make sure you're on a lease so that you don't have to worry about being homeless in the middle of the semester.

I guess their sushi bar was nice. I'm a little annoyed that the student panel was comprised of basically the top 5%. Like this guy's CV is impressive af.
Did they mention if they have a roommate board for those who don't want to live in their housing? I'm assuming not because it sounds like they make a pretty penny on their housing options...

Not surprising on the top 5%. They are going to be the ones with killer jobs and super involved with only good things to say about Cardozo! The person I know who goes there fits the same mold. Super impressive and got the killer dream job.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:06 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
I went.

Thanks for your insight!
yep no problem. i'd basically search cl for shared apartments with a max price of 1200 per month. i'd avoid williamsburg and bushwick because the subway (l train) that goes there is closing soon i think for maintenance but other parts of brooklyn on the 2/3 train are (relatively) affordable. also in nyc brokers fee are a thing from what i hear and can be quite expensive (1-2 months rent) so be aware of that

edit-i also think it's worth pointing out that the col on cardozos website includes 14k a year for housing. that's about 1150 per month in rent. so using cardozos housing will increase your estimated col by over 10k per year
That's just ridiculous. Definitely worth the trip and pain of apartment hunting to avoid that. . .

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:You can avoid broker's fees in NYC - not every apt has them. I'd just make sure you're on a lease so that you don't have to worry about being homeless in the middle of the semester.

Did they mention if they have a roommate board for those who don't want to live in their housing? I'm assuming not because it sounds like they make a pretty penny on their housing options...

Not surprising on the top 5%. They are going to be the ones with killer jobs and super involved with only good things to say about Cardozo! The person I know who goes there fits the same mold. Super impressive and got the killer dream job.
I didn't pay attention to the housing pitch because I have an apt and would likely keep it if I stay in NYC. I'm sure you can find another law student to get an off-campus apt with via the FB class page.

I ended up running into a 2L who I went to UG with, so she gave me pretty honest feedback. My tour guide was a bit off. She was humble bragging about how she never studies on the weekend, and leaves campus and doesn't study past 6. Shrug.

I did lol at the fact that the library closes on the Sabbath, but :|

community113

New

Post by community113 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

I didn't pay attention to the housing pitch because I have an apt and would likely keep it if I stay in NYC. I'm sure you can find another law student to get an off-campus apt with via the FB class page.

I ended up running into a 2L who I went to UG with, so she gave me pretty honest feedback. My tour guide was a bit off. She was humble bragging about how she never studies on the weekend, and leaves campus and doesn't study past 6. Shrug.

I think I had the same tour guide as you, mind telling us a bit more about your "friend's" honest feedback? Really struggling to decide if Cardozo is worth it...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 pm

yea... 2 big laws, in house counsel, and state supreme court clerk... riiiigggghhhttttt

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:47 pm

community113 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

I think I had the same tour guide as you, mind telling us a bit more about your "friend's" honest feedback? Really struggling to decide if Cardozo is worth it...
Wonder if we were in the same group! I was the super unapproachable looking one in a tweed blazer.

It seems like a majority of people at Cardozo are there because they were balancing other, more expensive, options in New York (i.e. Fordham). The consensus is work hard and be proactive, but I guess the same applies anywhere. You'll just have to be working 10x harder for the same opportunities you would be offered coming out of Columbia, NYU, etc. The full ride is hard to not consider seriously, especially since I have no interests in going the big law route. I did really like the Professors I met, and the Property class was very well executed IMO.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:50 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:

yea... 2 big laws, in house counsel, and state supreme court clerk... riiiigggghhhttttt
Honestly, even based on their testimony, it seemed like they got their positions through external connections. Like, TaLona seemed ambitious af, and my hats off to her. But the fact that she had to go to a job fair seemed weird to me. Also the dude at NBC got his job through a contact vs. the career services office. I have heard a lot of bad feedback from alums re: the career services at Dozo, but maybe the new guy is really changing things up.

community113

New

Post by community113 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
community113 wrote:
Wonder if we were in the same group! I was the super unapproachable looking one in a tweed blazer.

It seems like a majority of people at Cardozo are there because they were balancing other, more expensive, options in New York (i.e. Fordham). The consensus is work hard and be proactive, but I guess the same applies anywhere. You'll just have to be working 10x harder for the same opportunities you would be offered coming out of Columbia, NYU, etc. The full ride is hard to not consider seriously, especially since I have no interests in going the big law route. I did really like the Professors I met, and the Property class was very well executed IMO.
I think so hah, I had on a beanie (edit: because I need a haircut).

I hear you, that was the feeling I got as well. It is hard to pass up the $$$, and I'm also not particularly interested in big law.
Last edited by community113 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:

Honestly, even based on their testimony, it seemed like they got their positions through external connections. Like, TaLona seemed ambitious af, and my hats off to her. But the fact that she had to go to a job fair seemed weird to me. Also the dude at NBC got his job through a contact vs. the career services office. I have heard a lot of bad feedback from alums re: the career services at Dozo, but maybe the new guy is really changing things up.
i thought the nbc guy said he saw his job posted on the career services web listing?

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:

The person I know had a job with NBC one summer. So maybe they do actually have a connection with NBC.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 pm

community113 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
community113 wrote:

I think so hah, I had on a beanie.

I hear you, that was the feeling I got as well. It is hard to pass up the $$$, and I'm also not particularly interested in big law.
if you got a full ride i would def go. less debt is most important to me unless you are deciding between a full ride at dozo or partial scholarship/sticky at a t-14 then i would think about it a bit more

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:06 pm

community113 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
community113 wrote:

I think so hah, I had on a beanie (edit: because I need a haircut).

I was probably distracted by the BU Law Alumna mom in our group who kept comparing Dozo to BU in the 80s lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:

i thought the nbc guy said he saw his job posted on the career services web listing?
Yeah, the 3am listing. But I remember him saying he also had a contact there. I might be wrong. But regardless, his resume is also impressive af.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
community113 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

yea, many schools are going to ask their top 5% to speak and make the school look good, but the opportunity at dozo is significantly less than its nyc competitors. its well established that dozo kids are even competing for what is left over after Fordham students rummage through the pile.

Also i am sure Cardozo is more expensive than Fordham. :(

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:08 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
community113 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

yea, many schools are going to ask their top 5% to speak and make the school look good, but the opportunity at dozo is significantly less than its nyc competitors. its well established that dozo kids are even competing for what is left over after Fordham students rummage through the pile.

I've seen you post around re: PT programs. Have you committed to a school yet?

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
community113 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

I've seen you post around re: PT programs. Have you committed to a school yet?

Nope!

I would only go the PT route for 1 school, which is Fordham. Why: simply because I wanted to offset as much debt as possible (working) and wasn't going to leave NYC. So the best PT program (after GULC in NY) is Fordham.

All my other schools are FT.

I am still waiting on 1 more school to get back to me. Then I will make a decision.

I really like Cardozo (they are veey attentitive-send me lots of pamplets/reading material about the program and invites to some of their events) and they gave me a good skolly+I don't need housing. It is just that Fordham gave me the same scholarship amount+I live very close to there.

I'd probably only go to Cardozo if I received a FULL tuition scholarship (not happening) and my top school rejected me.

What about you, have you decided?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Not committed yet - still waiting to hear back from a few schools. How much did Dozo give you? Might be worthwhile to try negotiating closer to the deposit deadline/after the first deposit, as many will be withdrawing and it'll throw some more money back into the pool.

Excited to be a student again though, it's time.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Not committed yet - still waiting to hear back from a few schools. How much did Dozo give you? Might be worthwhile to try negotiating closer to the deposit deadline/after the first deposit, as many will be withdrawing and it'll throw some more money back into the pool.

Excited to be a student again though, it's time.
80-90k. I have to look at my skolly info. Basically a half tuition scholarship.

Yes it is time to be a student again. I am ready! lol

dyebri

Bronze

Post by dyebri » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 pm

got a full tuition scholarship no stipulations. I want to work in big law and was wondering if anyone can provide any insight into housing and also how good cardozo is for big law

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:48 pm

dyebri wrote:got a full tuition scholarship no stipulations. I want to work in big law and was wondering if anyone can provide any insight into housing and also how good cardozo is for big law
Congrats on the full ride! It's possible to get into big law but you essentially need to be in the top 5-10% of the class. Look at https://www.lstreports.com/schools/cardozo/ for more information on employment stats. Honestly, with a full ride it's worth it unless you got into a higher ranking nyc school and can justify the debt load. All assuming you want to stay in NYC, but that is my two cents.

As far as housing, if you look back on the thread some NYC dozo potentials were talking about options. The on campus is really expensive from what I've researched and heard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”