Florida State c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mjw36

New

Re: Florida State c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by mjw36 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:45 pm

mjw36 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
mjw36 wrote:
emilycc1026 wrote:Anyone on here know about Jax's legal market? Interested in moving there post-grad (family is there) and wondering what those chances are from FSU.
Hi yes I'm actually from Jacksonville, and I'm committed to FSU for next fall. The population is double that of Miami, roughly, so it stands to reason there are plenty of opportunities here, but I don't know how directly that translates into a strong hiring market. A friend of mine just graduated from UF and instantly got hired by legal aid here in Jax, but he'd volunteered for them for years throughout school and pursued that specific goal. I don't know if I have any real answers but I've been thinking a lot about this myself obviously. It's a good question.
I went to UF, but I can offer some perspective on Jax (am from there and have a strong legal network there due to family connections). The bigger firms (Foley, Smith Hulsey, McGuire, etc.) are pretty picky, so you'll likely need top grades from FSU to get a shot at a SA. Beyond those, it will come down to networking and figuring out what you want to do. Jacksonville is an insular market so having ties is a big boost. If you know you want to practice in Jax, I recommend trying to work there both summers and network as much as possible. I have a number of friends heading to Jax. They all worked as law clerks or interns in the city during law school.

Once you get away from the bigger firms, it's just going to be networking and luck that gets you in the right door (practical experience also helps). There are a lot of opportunities, but it's not like biglaw firms where it's widely advertised and easy to find. Building a network is key. If you have lawyers willing to put in a word for you, you'll likely find a job. It's a very insular, close-knit market for a bigger city.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to work in Jacksonville both summers. Pardon my ignorance, but what did you mean by "SA"? Staff attorney? I feel like it's something I should know, but don't. Thanks again for the reply.
mjw36 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
mjw36 wrote:
emilycc1026 wrote:Anyone on here know about Jax's legal market? Interested in moving there post-grad (family is there) and wondering what those chances are from FSU.
Hi yes I'm actually from Jacksonville, and I'm committed to FSU for next fall. The population is double that of Miami, roughly, so it stands to reason there are plenty of opportunities here, but I don't know how directly that translates into a strong hiring market. A friend of mine just graduated from UF and instantly got hired by legal aid here in Jax, but he'd volunteered for them for years throughout school and pursued that specific goal. I don't know if I have any real answers but I've been thinking a lot about this myself obviously. It's a good question.
I went to UF, but I can offer some perspective on Jax (am from there and have a strong legal network there due to family connections). The bigger firms (Foley, Smith Hulsey, McGuire, etc.) are pretty picky, so you'll likely need top grades from FSU to get a shot at a SA. Beyond those, it will come down to networking and figuring out what you want to do. Jacksonville is an insular market so having ties is a big boost. If you know you want to practice in Jax, I recommend trying to work there both summers and network as much as possible. I have a number of friends heading to Jax. They all worked as law clerks or interns in the city during law school.

Once you get away from the bigger firms, it's just going to be networking and luck that gets you in the right door (practical experience also helps). There are a lot of opportunities, but it's not like biglaw firms where it's widely advertised and easy to find. Building a network is key. If you have lawyers willing to put in a word for you, you'll likely find a job. It's a very insular, close-knit market for a bigger city.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to work in Jacksonville both summers. Pardon my ignorance, but what did you mean by "SA"? Staff attorney? I feel like it's something I should know, but don't. Thanks again for the reply.
Summer Associate! I'm an idiot.

mpk11d

New

Post by mpk11d » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:48 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
marshallu wrote:Does anyone know when we should be getting our schedules for first semester? I called and heard first week of August but that seems a little late to get our books and everything in order? I know we basically already know what classes we take but just anxious to see what professors I have and what my weeks are going to look like.
Also curious about this. Beginning of August does sound a bit late, but classes don't actually start until the 28th. Still would be nice to at least have a little more time to find the best priced books and get them shipped before having to deal with moving and orientation.

Anyone going to be at the Orlando Meet Up on the 22nd?

First week of August sounds about right. I'm a 3L at FSU, and that's the timeframe I remember from the last few years. It is more than enough time to get all of your books.

Go to this link and you can see the course schedules. You won't know which Section you're in, but you'll see that all 1Ls will have the same schedules (for the most part).

http://www.law.fsu.edu/docs/default-sou ... ?sfvrsn=22

Also, I'd highly recommend going to the Orlando Meet-up on the 22nd if you get the chance.

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 pm

mpk11d wrote:
WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
marshallu wrote:Does anyone know when we should be getting our schedules for first semester? I called and heard first week of August but that seems a little late to get our books and everything in order? I know we basically already know what classes we take but just anxious to see what professors I have and what my weeks are going to look like.
Also curious about this. Beginning of August does sound a bit late, but classes don't actually start until the 28th. Still would be nice to at least have a little more time to find the best priced books and get them shipped before having to deal with moving and orientation.

Anyone going to be at the Orlando Meet Up on the 22nd?

First week of August sounds about right. I'm a 3L at FSU, and that's the timeframe I remember from the last few years. It is more than enough time to get all of your books.

Go to this link and you can see the course schedules. You won't know which Section you're in, but you'll see that all 1Ls will have the same schedules (for the most part).

http://www.law.fsu.edu/docs/default-sou ... ?sfvrsn=22

Also, I'd highly recommend going to the Orlando Meet-up on the 22nd if you get the chance.

Thank you!!

fsulawlateingame

New

Post by fsulawlateingame » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am

hey
Last edited by fsulawlateingame on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 am

jacksonville's population is double that of miami?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:31 am

grand inquisitor wrote:jacksonville's population is double that of miami?

fsulawlateingame

New

Post by fsulawlateingame » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Hey everyone I was just accepted yesterday w/ a scholarship that was hard to turn down. I am looking for best areas to live preferably looking for a 1/1 in an apartment complex or townhouse. I am saving a lot of money coming here so looking for anything under $1200 a month! Just need advice on complexes and areas that aren't too loud or undergrad. Thanks!

156/LSAT
3.60/GPA
65% Scholarship

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 am

When do we get our schedules/sections?

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:25 am

emilycc1026 wrote:When do we get our schedules/sections?
First week of August, according to posts in the Facebook group.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 am

I just called admissions and they said we don't get our schedules until orientation? Does that sound right? She said all the books for the classes are the same and can be found on their website but buying them at orientation is plenty of time. That doesn't seem accurate to be but maybe I'm wrong. I thought we'd be getting that info a lot sooner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”