Florida State c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
noleee

New

Re: Florida State c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by noleee » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Waitlisted too - also very surprised.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:16 pm

I haven't heard anything back about my scholarship application, but I decided to pull the trigger and submit my deposit and decision statement to FSU today. Anyone else committed to FSU yet?

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:00 pm

My email said they'd be getting back to people about scholarships after April 17th.

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:08 am

Anyone know how/if I can ask fsu to reconsider my scholarship? I got 65% in state but I feel like they low balled me (full rides to better ranked schools). However, I still want to stay at FSU

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:53 am

emilycc1026 wrote:Anyone know how/if I can ask fsu to reconsider my scholarship? I got 65% in state but I feel like they low balled me (full rides to better ranked schools). However, I still want to stay at FSU
Yes, you can and you should

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:26 am

jcburns wrote:My email said they'd be getting back to people about scholarships after April 17th.
I don't think I got an email saying that, seems a bit counterproductive to get back to us AFTER we commit to a school.

NihiLo_x

New

Post by NihiLo_x » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:35 am

jcburns wrote:My email said they'd be getting back to people about scholarships after April 17th.
I don't think I got an e-mail saying that, but if that's right, it's a problem.

NihiLo_x

New

Post by NihiLo_x » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:39 am

I have offers from better schools whose deadlines are 15 April. I cannot commit to FSU in the dark, so I'd need the scholarship offer before then, probably well before then, in order to make an informed decision. Is it appropriate or prudent to inquire about the offer before they send it?

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 pm

I just double checked my email. Mine says, "Our scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis throughout the admissions cycle, and we will get back to you as quickly as possible after April 17th with a decision once your scholarship application is received and reviewed."

Now you should all go off of what they sent you, not what they sent me. Perhaps those with better numbers than me will hear back sooner? I'll also be using the G.I. Bill so that may also be why I'm getting different info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NihiLo_x

New

Post by NihiLo_x » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Here's what I received:

"Our scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis throughout the admissions cycle, and we will get back to you as quickly as possible with a decision once your scholarship application is received and reviewed." In another e-mail, after I submitted the application,

"The Scholarships Committee will review applications and determine awards on a rolling basis throughout the admissions cycle. If you are selected to receive an award, you will be notified by telephone and/or email with specific instructions on how to accept the award."

No date, alas.

mpk11d

New

Post by mpk11d » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 am

emilycc1026 wrote:Anyone know how/if I can ask fsu to reconsider my scholarship? I got 65% in state but I feel like they low balled me (full rides to better ranked schools). However, I still want to stay at FSU
Yes, email the folks you've been in contact with at FSU, who I presume to be Gautier and/or Kessinger. Let them know that you've been admitted to X,Y,Z schools and have received X,Y,Z $$$ from those schools. Don't feel bad about asking for more money.

Doesthenamematter

New

Post by Doesthenamematter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

They aren't replying to recent scholarship applications until they get their first wave of seat deposits from the people who's deadline was April 17th so they know how much money they have to work with

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:51 pm

Doesthenamematter wrote:They aren't replying to recent scholarship applications until they get their first wave of seat deposits from the people who's deadline was April 17th so they know how much money they have to work with
Where'd you get this info from? A lot of people (myself included) have been waiting to hear back and that would make it roughly 6 weeks without a decision on scholarships if that was the case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doesthenamematter

New

Post by Doesthenamematter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Atm94 wrote:
Doesthenamematter wrote:They aren't replying to recent scholarship applications until they get their first wave of seat deposits from the people who's deadline was April 17th so they know how much money they have to work with
Where'd you get this info from? A lot of people (myself included) have been waiting to hear back and that would make it roughly 6 weeks without a decision on scholarships if that was the case.
in my email that discussed the scholarship application, it said "we'll get back to you as quickly as possible after April 17th" which is their seat deposit deadline for people already admitted from before. The dean also touched on it when she called me with the acceptance. Not sure why you've been waiting for 6 weeks but them waiting till after the first deposit wave makes a lot of sense

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Doesthenamematter wrote:
Atm94 wrote:
in my email that discussed the scholarship application, it said "we'll get back to you as quickly as possible after April 17th" which is their seat deposit deadline for people already admitted from before. The dean also touched on it when she called me with the acceptance. Not sure why you've been waiting for 6 weeks but them waiting till after the first deposit wave makes a lot of sense
It makes sense but I wasn't told that would be the case, and for most people accepted earlier in the month waiting to hear back if we don't before that April 17th date would be 6 weeks roughly...

mpk11d

New

Post by mpk11d » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:23 am

I'm currently a 2L at Florida State. I went through the negotiation of scholarships with FSU, UF, and other out of state schools - I'd be glad to answer any questions you all may have. Also, I can answer general questions about FSU/Tallahassee (if you're not already from here).

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:00 pm

mpk11d wrote:I'm currently a 2L at Florida State. I went through the negotiation of scholarships with FSU, UF, and other out of state schools - I'd be glad to answer any questions you all may have. Also, I can answer general questions about FSU/Tallahassee (if you're not already from here).
This is more of a question about housing, but do you know any law students that live at Onyx and what they think of it? I'm really considering it because it's close enough to walk to the law school and looks pretty nice. The reviews are pretty hit or miss though with most people either giving it a 5 star review or a 1 star review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
mpk11d wrote:I'm currently a 2L at Florida State. I went through the negotiation of scholarships with FSU, UF, and other out of state schools - I'd be glad to answer any questions you all may have. Also, I can answer general questions about FSU/Tallahassee (if you're not already from here).
This is more of a question about housing, but do you know any law students that live at Onyx and what they think of it? I'm really considering it because it's close enough to walk to the law school and looks pretty nice. The reviews are pretty hit or miss though with most people either giving it a 5 star review or a 1 star review.

Idk any specific law students that live there but I know people who do and they like it. Just over priced really

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Post by hegotmoneyyyyy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Withdrew today. I had a full scholarship so hopefully that opens up some money. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

mpk11d

New

Post by mpk11d » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:46 am

emilycc1026 wrote:

Idk any specific law students that live there but I know people who do and they like it. Just over priced really

I would suggest not living in Onyx as a law student. I have friends who have lived there as undergrads, and quite a few who lived there last year as 1Ls - none of the law students renewed their lease.

There are apartments directly across the street from the law school, nothing fancy, but they get the job done.

Also, I agree with Emily, it's overpriced.

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 am

Went to FSU undergrad, don't live at onyx. It's nice but severely overpriced, and extremely loud. Proximity to law school of course is important, but be mindful that across from the Law School is 2 bars, which on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights will have loud music playing till 2am.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mpk11d

New

Post by mpk11d » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 pm

jag13 wrote:
Went to FSU undergrad, don't live at onyx. It's nice but severely overpriced, and extremely loud. Proximity to law school of course is important, but be mindful that across from the Law School is 2 bars, which on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights will have loud music playing till 2am.
+1

I went to FSU undergrad as well, and 100% agree with this. Really, you don't want to live anywhere that is going to have a lot of undergrads/next to bars. So, avoid Onyx and anywhere near College Town.

Phoenix South owns the apartments directly across from the law school on Jefferson, some of them back up to Potbelly's and a few Frat houses. But, a few are also far enough away that'll you have plenty of peace and quiet. If I were you, I'd go on the admitted students page and try to find someone to get a townhouse somewhere if you can find something reasonably priced.

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Has anyone heard from FSU related to scholarships? I filled out the application earlier this month and haven't heard anything back. Everyone has a deadline soon so its getting down to the wire.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Atm94 wrote:Has anyone heard from FSU related to scholarships? I filled out the application earlier this month and haven't heard anything back. Everyone has a deadline soon so its getting down to the wire.
I've been waiting for 3 weeks now, hopefully we'll hear back soon.

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Anyone familiar with the town have any 1/1 bedroom recs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”