Florida State c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RParadela

Silver

Re: Florida State c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by RParadela » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Also adding in that you definitely shouldn't live at Onyx. Super, super fratty, so as a law student, that's probably not the atmosphere you'd want. Plus the bar next to Onyx is Pots which is probably the biggest freshman bar in the city so probably not your alley either (or maybe it is :wink: )

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Does anyone know anything about College Plaza apartments across from the law school? I know its probably not the best but Im looking for something close, affordable, and a one bedroom?

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Question for anyone who did their undergrad at FSU or is familiar with Tallahassee generally:

Is the campus/city bicycle friendly? I guess what I mean by that is, do the roads have a bike lane? Do people generally drive like jerks, making riding a bike to and from campus a bad idea? I'm also going to see if they have bike racks around when I visit on Thursday. I'm leaning toward making my bike my primary method of getting to class.

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:29 pm

jcburns wrote:Question for anyone who did their undergrad at FSU or is familiar with Tallahassee generally:

Is the campus/city bicycle friendly? I guess what I mean by that is, do the roads have a bike lane? Do people generally drive like jerks, making riding a bike to and from campus a bad idea? I'm also going to see if they have bike racks around when I visit on Thursday. I'm leaning toward making my bike my primary method of getting to class.
There's generally a good number of bike lanes on campus. But the law school is just off the main campus so you really won't need to ride through the undergrad campus at all. Be warned however that Tallahassee is very hilly and you may be going uphill quite a lot. It really depends on where you're trying to live, I for one wouldn't cross Tennessee Street on a bicycle. But I'm not as comfortable on a bike.

mpk11d

New

Post by mpk11d » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 pm

marshallu wrote:Does anyone know anything about College Plaza apartments across from the law school? I know its probably not the best but Im looking for something close, affordable, and a one bedroom?
I have personally never set foot in any of the apartments directly across from the law school (all owned by a company named Phoenix South). However, I know quite a few people who live in all of those apartments and seem to have no problems. They're not top of the line, but for the price and location I think it's a pretty good deal. The convenience of living across the street from the school will safe you many of burdens throughout the year, especially as a 1L. You'll likely make new friends and potentially have group of people who may want to get a house together for your 2nd and 3rd year anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:50 am

mpk11d wrote:
marshallu wrote:Does anyone know anything about College Plaza apartments across from the law school? I know its probably not the best but Im looking for something close, affordable, and a one bedroom?
I have personally never set foot in any of the apartments directly across from the law school (all owned by a company named Phoenix South). However, I know quite a few people who live in all of those apartments and seem to have no problems. They're not top of the line, but for the price and location I think it's a pretty good deal. The convenience of living across the street from the school will safe you many of burdens throughout the year, especially as a 1L. You'll likely make new friends and potentially have group of people who may want to get a house together for your 2nd and 3rd year anyways.
ok awesome thank you. Thats what Im thinking I just really don't want to live with random people my first year or do roommate matching or something like that. and i dont know the area and want to be close.

lilyanne

New

Post by lilyanne » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:52 pm

How long did it take for everyone to hear back from the scholarship committee? I submitted the form online about four weeks ago and have yet to hear anything. I have a $500 deposit at another school due Saturday so I'm getting nervous. :cry:

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:26 pm

lilyanne wrote:How long did it take for everyone to hear back from the scholarship committee? I submitted the form online about four weeks ago and have yet to hear anything. I have a $500 deposit at another school due Saturday so I'm getting nervous. :cry:
I also submitted my scholarship app 4 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet. A guy I was talking to on reddit also submitted the same day as me and he hasn't heard back as well.

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Think they'll get back to scholarship reconsideration requests by the deposit?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:Think they'll get back to scholarship reconsideration requests by the deposit?
Questionable, my guess is a lot of the money is already in play and they are going to wait and see what happens at the deposit deadline and adjust accordingly. Why else would people be waiting 3 - 5 weeks to hear back?

smashbash

Bronze

Post by smashbash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:07 am

emilycc1026 wrote:Anyone familiar with the town have any 1/1 bedroom recs?
I lived in Villa Lucia when I was in UG. It was nice. Walking distance to the school (especially the stadium) and, if you don't want to walk, the FSU shuttle has a stop at the front of the complex. It was a bit on the pricey end (for Tally) because it was new and nice (and I rented all the furniture/electronics, so that was included in the price). I believe it was like $875/month and $775 without furniture.

ETA: This is the 1/1 floorplan (stainless steel appliances and washer/dryer in the unit)
http://www.studenthousingsolutions.com/ ... plans1.php

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Atm94 wrote:
emilycc1026 wrote:Think they'll get back to scholarship reconsideration requests by the deposit?
Questionable, my guess is a lot of the money is already in play and they are going to wait and see what happens at the deposit deadline and adjust accordingly. Why else would people be waiting 3 - 5 weeks to hear back?

True, I called and was told I'd head back by April 30. I just don't see the point in them increasing scholarships after a deposit has been paid so that makes me skeptical that they even will.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:
Atm94 wrote:

True, I called and was told I'd head back by April 30. I just don't see the point in them increasing scholarships after a deposit has been paid so that makes me skeptical that they even will.
I'm still waiting on my initial offer, not a reconsideration. I'm going to call and see if I get the same April 30th date

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smashbash

Bronze

Post by smashbash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I just withdrew my application today, so hopefully my scholarship/spot helps out someone!

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 pm

+1 on Withdrawing

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 pm

I called the Student Affairs number listed on the scholarship app email confirmation and the person who answered didn't give me the April 30th date. It was kind of odd actually, first she asked for my name and put me on hold (I'm assuming to look up my info) and when she took me off hold she asked if I was Sure I submitted a scholarship application. I told her that I was sure and that I received a confirmation email of its receipt. She said I'd need to talk to the dean of student affairs, but that her schedule is pretty busy today. She took down my number and said she'd give my name and number to the dean, who would try to call me back between appointments today or sometime tomorrow.

It sort of sounded like they never really receive my scholarship application after all :|

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:39 pm

Should I just go ahead and pay the seat deposit today? Or wait till Monday? Does it matter? :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:Should I just go ahead and pay the seat deposit today? Or wait till Monday? Does it matter? :oops:
Assuming you've decided to attend FSU, I can't see how it makes a difference.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:34 pm

New employment data for the class of 2016 is up for anyone interested. Full-Time Long-Term Bar passage required employment, excluding solos remained almost identical at 71.95% (71.42% for class of 2015). FTLT bar passage required + JD Preferred is 80.42%

http://www.law.fsu.edu/docs/default-sou ... ?sfvrsn=10
Last edited by WamBamThankYouMaam on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Anyone on here know about Jax's legal market? Interested in moving there post-grad (family is there) and wondering what those chances are from FSU.

mjw36

New

Post by mjw36 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 am

emilycc1026 wrote:Anyone on here know about Jax's legal market? Interested in moving there post-grad (family is there) and wondering what those chances are from FSU.
Hi yes I'm actually from Jacksonville, and I'm committed to FSU for next fall. The population is double that of Miami, roughly, so it stands to reason there are plenty of opportunities here, but I don't know how directly that translates into a strong hiring market. A friend of mine just graduated from UF and instantly got hired by legal aid here in Jax, but he'd volunteered for them for years throughout school and pursued that specific goal. I don't know if I have any real answers but I've been thinking a lot about this myself obviously. It's a good question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Does anyone know when we should be getting our schedules for first semester? I called and heard first week of August but that seems a little late to get our books and everything in order? I know we basically already know what classes we take but just anxious to see what professors I have and what my weeks are going to look like.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:17 am

marshallu wrote:Does anyone know when we should be getting our schedules for first semester? I called and heard first week of August but that seems a little late to get our books and everything in order? I know we basically already know what classes we take but just anxious to see what professors I have and what my weeks are going to look like.
Also curious about this. Beginning of August does sound a bit late, but classes don't actually start until the 28th. Still would be nice to at least have a little more time to find the best priced books and get them shipped before having to deal with moving and orientation.

Anyone going to be at the Orlando Meet Up on the 22nd?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 am

mjw36 wrote:
emilycc1026 wrote:Anyone on here know about Jax's legal market? Interested in moving there post-grad (family is there) and wondering what those chances are from FSU.
Hi yes I'm actually from Jacksonville, and I'm committed to FSU for next fall. The population is double that of Miami, roughly, so it stands to reason there are plenty of opportunities here, but I don't know how directly that translates into a strong hiring market. A friend of mine just graduated from UF and instantly got hired by legal aid here in Jax, but he'd volunteered for them for years throughout school and pursued that specific goal. I don't know if I have any real answers but I've been thinking a lot about this myself obviously. It's a good question.
I went to UF, but I can offer some perspective on Jax (am from there and have a strong legal network there due to family connections). The bigger firms (Foley, Smith Hulsey, McGuire, etc.) are pretty picky, so you'll likely need top grades from FSU to get a shot at a SA. Beyond those, it will come down to networking and figuring out what you want to do. Jacksonville is an insular market so having ties is a big boost. If you know you want to practice in Jax, I recommend trying to work there both summers and network as much as possible. I have a number of friends heading to Jax. They all worked as law clerks or interns in the city during law school.

Once you get away from the bigger firms, it's just going to be networking and luck that gets you in the right door (practical experience also helps). There are a lot of opportunities, but it's not like biglaw firms where it's widely advertised and easy to find. Building a network is key. If you have lawyers willing to put in a word for you, you'll likely find a job. It's a very insular, close-knit market for a bigger city.

mjw36

New

Post by mjw36 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 am

lavarman84 wrote:
mjw36 wrote:
I went to UF, but I can offer some perspective on Jax (am from there and have a strong legal network there due to family connections). The bigger firms (Foley, Smith Hulsey, McGuire, etc.) are pretty picky, so you'll likely need top grades from FSU to get a shot at a SA. Beyond those, it will come down to networking and figuring out what you want to do. Jacksonville is an insular market so having ties is a big boost. If you know you want to practice in Jax, I recommend trying to work there both summers and network as much as possible. I have a number of friends heading to Jax. They all worked as law clerks or interns in the city during law school.

Once you get away from the bigger firms, it's just going to be networking and luck that gets you in the right door (practical experience also helps). There are a lot of opportunities, but it's not like biglaw firms where it's widely advertised and easy to find. Building a network is key. If you have lawyers willing to put in a word for you, you'll likely find a job. It's a very insular, close-knit market for a bigger city.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to work in Jacksonville both summers. Pardon my ignorance, but what did you mean by "SA"? Staff attorney? I feel like it's something I should know, but don't. Thanks again for the reply.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”