UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kingwhereofis

New

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by kingwhereofis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:53 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:You are really harping on singular words and ignoring the general point. Of course, UCI is not going to waterboard Chem until he calls twenty judges. But whomever the new Dean is + career services + clerkship office will certainly encourage him to reach out on behalf of star students.

@Yeezy, bringing UCI down? To the contrary. I'm a big UCI fan, and have encouraged my employers to hire them. But the notion that Chem's absence will not have an appreciable effect on employment rates is fiction.
Again, no offense, but that's just not how our community works.
You're not saying anything of substance. Tell me how the community works.
Our professors are given almost absolute academic freedom. They can teach how they want, research what they want, recommend who they want, use whatever materials they want. It is just one way that we've attracted a faculty that ranks 6th in the nation.

No one pressures, and indeed never would pressure, the Dean or any professor to recommend any more students than he or she wanted.
Goodness. Read my posts. I did not say (or mean to imply) that the school would force Chem to recommend people. What I said was that the school is obviously well-aware of his significance on clerkships, and would encourage him to continue to do so if he took a reduced role. I envision it would be as simple as "x student is tremendous, we think she has a good shot of y clerkship."

I truly, TRULY do not understand what (or why) you are disputing here. Sure, UCI's faculty is great, but every law professor has "absolute academic freedom." Every Dean recommends students for clerkships, why wouldn't they? My ultimate point was that assuming Chem does not leave, the clerkship rate will decrease, but stay healthy. That's it.
Calm down, I'm not attacking you. Here is where the dispute is. You claimed:
The school is obviously well-aware of Chem's placement power (despite the assertions to the contrary above), and would push hard to keep that train moving.
You then softened that statement claiming:
whomever the new Dean is + career services + clerkship office will certainly encourage him to reach out on behalf of star students
I disagreed with those statements based on my experience of the community here, the fact that our professors love to talk about how much academic freedom they've been given here at UCI, how collegiate the community is overall, and my observations of faculty interactions with other faculty members and the administration in general.

I can't speak to whether or not other law schools are the same way--all I know is it is pretty unthinkable that anyone would dare to encourage our Dean to recommend any more students than he wanted. I don't know why you're being so defensive. I'm a UCI student, I'm allowed to give my opinion on matters that concern UCI to admitted students. You're allowed to disagree. We can all get along. :)

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:56 pm

abcdefg1234567 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:You are really harping on singular words and ignoring the general point. Of course, UCI is not going to waterboard Chem until he calls twenty judges. But whomever the new Dean is + career services + clerkship office will certainly encourage him to reach out on behalf of star students.

@Yeezy, bringing UCI down? To the contrary. I'm a big UCI fan, and have encouraged my employers to hire them. But the notion that Chem's absence will not have an appreciable effect on employment rates is fiction.
Our professors are given almost absolute academic freedom. They can teach how they want, research what they want, recommend who they want, use whatever materials they want. It is just one way that we've attracted a faculty that ranks 6th in the nation.

No one pressures, and indeed never would pressure, the Dean or any professor to recommend any more students than he or she wanted.
Goodness. Read my posts. I did not say (or mean to imply) that the school would force Chem to recommend people. What I said was that the school is obviously well-aware of his significance on clerkships, and would encourage him to continue to do so if he took a reduced role. I envision it would be as simple as "x student is tremendous, we think she has a good shot of y clerkship."

I truly, TRULY do not understand what (or why) you are disputing here. Sure, UCI's faculty is great, but every law professor has "absolute academic freedom." Every Dean recommends students for clerkships, why wouldn't they? My ultimate point was that assuming Chem does not leave, the clerkship rate will decrease, but stay healthy. That's it.
Let's say he does go to Cal in the Fall, do you think that UCI's chancellor, faculty, and administrators wouldn't do all that they could to recruit an equally if not more influential dean in his place?
I'm sure they will do everything they can, and end up with someone great. But will they find someone more influential with respect to employment placement? Probably not.

Look, y'all are staking me out a position I did not take. From the beginning, all I've argued is that (i) Chem has an appreciable effect on the clerkship/boutique firm rate; (ii) if he leaves, there will be a decrease; and (iii) UCI will be fine, overall. I am not predicting the end of UCI or some free-fall in the rankings.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:59 pm

kingwhereofis wrote:I disagreed with those statements based on my experience of the community here, the fact that our professors love to talk about how much academic freedom they've been given here at UCI, how collegiate the community is overall, and my observations of faculty interactions with other faculty members and the administration in general.

I can't speak to whether or not other law schools are the same way--all I know is it is pretty unthinkable that anyone would dare to encourage our Dean to recommend any more students than he wanted. I don't know why you're being so defensive. I'm a UCI student, I'm allowed to give my opinion on matters that concern UCI to admitted students. You're allowed to disagree. We can all get along. :)
We can totally get along. I'm not defensive, just sensitive to my posts being taken out of context. And I agree with you - you have your experiences, and I have mine. I respect yours.

kingwhereofis

New

Post by kingwhereofis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:02 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:I disagreed with those statements based on my experience of the community here, the fact that our professors love to talk about how much academic freedom they've been given here at UCI, how collegiate the community is overall, and my observations of faculty interactions with other faculty members and the administration in general.

We can totally get along. I'm not defensive, just sensitive to my posts being taken out of context. And I agree with you - you have your experiences, and I have mine. I respect yours.
I apologize for taking your posts out of context then. I admit I don't have as much time for careful reading this time of year as I would like.

abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:12 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
abcdefg1234567 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:

Let's say he does go to Cal in the Fall, do you think that UCI's chancellor, faculty, and administrators wouldn't do all that they could to recruit an equally if not more influential dean in his place?
I'm sure they will do everything they can, and end up with someone great. But will they find someone more influential with respect to employment placement? Probably not.

Look, y'all are staking me out a position I did not take. From the beginning, all I've argued is that (i) Chem has an appreciable effect on the clerkship/boutique firm rate; (ii) if he leaves, there will be a decrease; and (iii) UCI will be fine, overall. I am not predicting the end of UCI or some free-fall in the rankings.
I don't mean to argue with you. In fact I agree with all of your points except that should he leave there will be a decrease in clerkship/boutique firm placement. I mean, let's say a vital component of an aircraft breaks down. One would expect it to be replaced with an equally if not better one. The same can be said about him leaving UCI. He is not the entire school but rather a part of the whole and should he leave, I believe that everyone at UCI will do all that they can to sustain or increase placements.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 pm

abcdefg1234567 wrote:I don't mean to argue with you. In fact I agree with all of your points except that should he leave there will be a decrease in clerkship/boutique firm placement. I mean, let's say a vital component of an aircraft breaks down. One would expect it to be replaced with an equally if not better one. The same can be said about him leaving UCI. He is not the entire school but rather a part of the whole and should he leave, I believe that everyone at UCI will do all that they can to sustain or increase placements.
Fair enough. If he leaves, we can come back to this in 2019 and see who is right :)

TannerRogers

New

Post by TannerRogers » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Hey everyone, congrats to everyone who got accepted to UCI, it's going to be a great time. Anyone who got admitted, or is still considering attending feel free to join the Facebook page for the class of 2020, that way questions on anything from deciding, to finding roommates is all in one place.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Tanner Rogers

https://m.facebook.com/groups/166349648 ... =bookmarks

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Post by calgoldenbear » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Still waiting. Is there any hope?

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

Everyday without a rejection is a good day!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dawg32

New

Post by Dawg32 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

For anyone that is still waiting, admission said that if you applied towards the end of the cycle, you'll be expecting to hear back in mid May, but it might be sooner than that. So it might be after your deposit deadlines for other schools. Atleast that's what they told me when I called. The suspense is killing me lol. Oh well, hurry up and wait.

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Dawg32 wrote:For anyone that is still waiting, admission said that if you applied towards the end of the cycle, you'll be expecting to hear back in mid May, but it might be sooner than that. So it might be after your deposit deadlines for other schools. Atleast that's what they told me when I called. The suspense is killing me lol. Oh well, hurry up and wait.
Thank you for the update! That is good to know. :D

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:54 pm

it's allgood wrote:
Dawg32 wrote:For anyone that is still waiting, admission said that if you applied towards the end of the cycle, you'll be expecting to hear back in mid May, but it might be sooner than that. So it might be after your deposit deadlines for other schools. Atleast that's what they told me when I called. The suspense is killing me lol. Oh well, hurry up and wait.
YMMV on this. I applied on the 1st of March, was accepted about three weeks later. Splitter, FWIW.

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:48 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
YMMV on this. I applied on the 1st of March, was accepted about three weeks later. Splitter, FWIW.
That gives me hope!! Thank you for posting your experience. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 pm

WL via snail mail today. Good luck to those still waiting!

Stevie_Rave_On

New

Post by Stevie_Rave_On » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:Still waiting. Is there any hope?
Yeah. I had friends who applied in December and were accepted towards the end of May. I, personally, was rejected. I figured if I didn't hear back by ASW, it was probably a no-go. I was correct. It's impossible to tell either way, so try not to worry about it.

Mikey947

New

Post by Mikey947 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:WL via snail mail today. Good luck to those still waiting!
are you gonna wait it out?

mmeissn2

New

Post by mmeissn2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 am

IF ANYONE IS SURE THAT THEY'RE NOT ATTENDING UCI, PLEASE WITHDRAW.

I'm on the waitlist and am very desperate to get in as you can tell haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:41 am

mmeissn2 wrote:IF ANYONE IS SURE THAT THEY'RE NOT ATTENDING UCI, PLEASE WITHDRAW.

its past the sir deadline so everyone who isnt coming barring waitlist movement from other schools has already withdrawn...

mmeissn2

New

Post by mmeissn2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:01 am

charles117 wrote:
mmeissn2 wrote:IF ANYONE IS SURE THAT THEY'RE NOT ATTENDING UCI, PLEASE WITHDRAW.

its past the sir deadline so everyone who isnt coming barring waitlist movement from other schools has already withdrawn...
True. But it's not just people waiting for waitlist movement from other schools though, could also be waiting for scholarship increases, late admissions, or just people who were unsure of their decision at the time of the deposit date

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 pm

TannerRogers wrote:Hey everyone, congrats to everyone who got accepted to UCI, it's going to be a great time. Anyone who got admitted, or is still considering attending feel free to join the Facebook page for the class of 2020, that way questions on anything from deciding, to finding roommates is all in one place.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Tanner Rogers

https://m.facebook.com/groups/166349648 ... =bookmarks
Hey Tanner- Thanks for making the page. I humbly submit you should probably change your username to something that isn't your real name. I would also recommend not trying to friend everyone who joins the page- anyone with sense is going to click "no" until we have actually had lots of beers together and are sure you're not the next Ted Bundy.

vho1791

New

Post by vho1791 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 am

To all those who were waitlisted, did you get a letter only informing of the waitlist? Or did you get an email too?

And has anyone been accepted
From the waitlist yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarMan

New

Post by BarMan » Tue May 09, 2017 11:14 am

vho1791 wrote:To all those who were waitlisted, did you get a letter only informing of the waitlist? Or did you get an email too?

And has anyone been accepted
From the waitlist yet?
Just a letter

despacito

New

Post by despacito » Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. :D

Anybody still waiting for a decision?

lawdog2017

New

Post by lawdog2017 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:47 pm

despacito wrote:Hi! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. :D

Oh hai. Mid jan applicant here.

despacito

New

Post by despacito » Wed May 10, 2017 5:54 pm

lawdog2017 wrote:
despacito wrote:Hi! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. :D

Oh hai. Mid jan applicant here.
Hello, comrade!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”