UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chandhi

Gold

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by chandhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Just withdrew and wish you all the best of luck!

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:05 pm

estateplanning wrote:
futureellewoods123 wrote:Does anyone know the exact terms of committing to UCI? I'm curious because there's no deposit. Like if you commit here, get in somewhere else, can you still go there or are you required to withdraw from other schools?
Long-time lurker and this is my first post. Admitted at UCI. Isn't the deposit deadline to commit to UCI April 14? From my understanding, you can deposit at multiple schools, but it is frowned upon. And you should withdraw your deposit from the other schools once you've committed to a school, or you may risk having your spot revoked.
Just a quick clarification of the above, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

UCI doesn't have a deposit- just the SIR (statement of intent to register), which you correctly stated is April 14. There's a 20$ fee to apply for guaranteed graduate student housing, and the deadline is May 1. Sometime in June/July you'll get a housing offer and you'll have to commit to that with $$, which you'll probably lose if you withdraw after you start paying rent or put down a deposit.

From what I've read (including the SIR itself), it's not binding. If you get off a waitlist and withdraw from UCI after you sign the SIR, I don't believe you have any liability, but I am not sure how long that lasts through the summer- eventually you're going to get a bill for tuition. If you really want to be sure, email the admissions staff. I can't believe any admissions staff likes that committed students withdraw, but it's also very much a part of the process, and I don't think any school is immune.

largemarge26

New

Post by largemarge26 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Kimmysradscreenname wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
futureellewoods123 wrote:Does anyone know the exact terms of committing to UCI? I'm curious because there's no deposit. Like if you commit here, get in somewhere else, can you still go there or are you required to withdraw from other schools?
Long-time lurker and this is my first post. Admitted at UCI. Isn't the deposit deadline to commit to UCI April 14? From my understanding, you can deposit at multiple schools, but it is frowned upon. And you should withdraw your deposit from the other schools once you've committed to a school, or you may risk having your spot revoked.
Just a quick clarification of the above, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

UCI doesn't have a deposit- just the SIR (statement of intent to register), which you correctly stated is April 14. There's a 20$ fee to apply for guaranteed graduate student housing, and the deadline is May 1. Sometime in June/July you'll get a housing offer and you'll have to commit to that with $$, which you'll probably lose if you withdraw after you start paying rent or put down a deposit.

From what I've read (including the SIR itself), it's not binding. If you get off a waitlist and withdraw from UCI after you sign the SIR, I don't believe you have any liability, but I am not sure how long that lasts through the summer- eventually you're going to get a bill for tuition. If you really want to be sure, email the admissions staff. I can't believe any admissions staff likes that committed students withdraw, but it's also very much a part of the process, and I don't think any school is immune.
I find it so strange that UC Irvine is the only school that doesn't require you to put down money for the first seat deposit- are we sure this is correct?

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 pm

largemarge26 wrote:
estateplanning wrote:

I find it so strange that UC Irvine is the only school that doesn't require you to put down money for the first seat deposit- are we sure this is correct?
Neither does IU

yeezytaughtme

New

Post by yeezytaughtme » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:05 pm

largemarge26 wrote:
estateplanning wrote:

Yes its correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm

largemarge26 wrote:
estateplanning wrote:

It's not strange. It's freaking awesome. UCI also doesn't have an application. This is meant to help applicants with a low socio-economic background.

Plus they get it back with your tuition :lol:

lawstboys

New

Post by lawstboys » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 pm

It's March 29th and I haven't heard anything from UCI...is it safe to assume I didn't get in? I'm reading all of the posts about deadlines that are fast approaching and I feel like that's the case here :(

kimia

New

Post by kimia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:07 pm

lawstboys wrote:It's March 29th and I haven't heard anything from UCI...is it safe to assume I didn't get in? I'm reading all of the posts about deadlines that are fast approaching and I feel like that's the case here :(

I haven't heard anything yet either. I'm thinking we'll hear within a week.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:55 am

Just a heads up, it is rumored that Erwin Chemerisnky is a top candidate for dean at UC Berkeley. Make of that what you will.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:56 am

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Just a heads up, it is rumored that Erwin Chemerisnky is a top candidate for dean at UC Berkeley. Make of that what you will.
Dean C wants to be done being a Dean. I doubt he'll leave UCI to do exactly what he's been saying for years that he doesn't want to do. Nevertheless, there's more to UCI than Dean C.

newbie2017

New

Post by newbie2017 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:30 pm

Wow...seems like Irvine has been all about Dean C (clerkships, money)...worried.

estateplanning

New

Post by estateplanning » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Just a heads up, it is rumored that Erwin Chemerisnky is a top candidate for dean at UC Berkeley. Make of that what you will.
I saw this news on Brian Leiter's blog: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... keley.html

Is there any other source that mentions Dean Chemerinsky as a candidate to UC Berkeley. Concerned and looking to see if there's more info.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:48 pm

estateplanning wrote:
I saw this news on Brian Leiter's blog: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... keley.html

Is there any other source that mentions Dean Chemerinsky as a candidate to UC Berkeley. Concerned and looking to see if there's more info.
Berkeley Law community received an email saying he is visiting next week and that he's a finalist.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:58 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
estateplanning wrote:

Berkeley Law community received an email saying he is visiting next week and that he's a finalist.
If true, that's super disappointing. He's been wanting to step down from that role for a while. I guess it's hard to pass up a chance to add Berkeley to your resume before retirement.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Just checked with a current student. He has talked to the current students about the fact he's being considered. He also said he hasn't been offered the job yet and doesn't know if he would go.

I think this is sounding like he's going. Sorry, guys. Stay tuned if this is something you are concerned about.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:10 pm

This isn't great news to those of us seriously considering UCI. Is there any indication who the incoming Dean would be?

yeezytaughtme

New

Post by yeezytaughtme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 pm

I wonder if Dean C leaving will be addressed at the Admitted Students Event next weekend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:37 pm

yeezytaughtme wrote:I wonder if Dean C leaving will be addressed at the Admitted Students Event next weekend.
Even if no one is addressing it, ask about it. You're the consumer. Make sure your purchase is solid.

estateplanning

New

Post by estateplanning » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 pm

zot1 wrote:
yeezytaughtme wrote:I wonder if Dean C leaving will be addressed at the Admitted Students Event next weekend.
Even if no one is addressing it, ask about it. You're the consumer. Make sure your purchase is solid.
will definitely be asking about it, and interested in what he'll say for welcome remarks (assuming that he'll still be there)

yeezytaughtme

New

Post by yeezytaughtme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 pm

estateplanning wrote:
zot1 wrote:
will definitely be asking about it, and interested in what he'll say for welcome remarks (assuming that he'll still be there)
You gonna ask personally, or will you be asking aloud during one of the information sessions?

estateplanning

New

Post by estateplanning » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:49 pm

yeezytaughtme wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
zot1 wrote:
You gonna ask personally, or will you be asking aloud during one of the information sessions?
Will try to ask personally, but will ask aloud if it's necessary. Will also be asking around to see if current students have more information and what they think about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adidasz

New

Post by adidasz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm

estateplanning wrote:
yeezytaughtme wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Will try to ask personally, but will ask aloud if it's necessary. Will also be asking around to see if current students have more information and what they think about it.
Well please share with us what you learn! I'm far too much of a pussy to ask that question, either aloud or one on one.

lawboundsomeday

New

Post by lawboundsomeday » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:15 pm

adidasz wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
yeezytaughtme wrote:
estateplanning wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Well please share with us what you learn! I'm far too much of a pussy to ask that question, either aloud or one on one.
Wow. That's really not good news for Irvine, is it? I just read on the Berkeley thread that he's a candidate -- and a Berkeley student there confirmed it, and now you're saying that he told people about it at Irvine too, so I guess it's really true.

I would definitely ask about it at UCI. It would be a really big loss for the school for him to leave to go be dean somewhere else, but especially another UC school. Really seems like kinda a slap in the face to the school he founded and created to leave them for becoming a dean again at one of the bigwig schools in the same UC system. Maybe that's just what deans do, but sheesh, that must kinda hurt for people at irvine. Seems like the dean equivalent of leaving your spouse for the younger prettier version.

Anyone know when it will be decided?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:25 pm

On the contrary, it speaks volumes about Irvine that it is doing so well that Berkeley wants part of it. In a way Dean C *is* leaving a young spouse for the cougar.

Mikey947

New

Post by Mikey947 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:40 pm

zot1 wrote:On the contrary, it speaks volumes about Irvine that it is doing so well that Berkeley wants part of it. In a way Dean C *is* leaving a young spouse for the cougar.
Mostly why UCI has had pretty decent number has been because Dean C has been able to pull strings. The fact that he is leaving is very concerning. UCI's numbers seemed very unsustainable even with Dean C as Dean (especially unsustainable if he leaves) because there are only so many jobs to go around in OC, not to mention the alumni network is minimal.

In the end, competition is stiff either way in the SoCal market because USC/UCLA/t13's will always dominate, so take this as you will

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”