UC Davis c/0 2020 App Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chili_davis

Bronze

Re: UC Davis c/0 2020 App

Post by chili_davis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:37 pm

Congrats to all the new acceptances!! Anyone planning on attending the ASW?

hethebearded

New

Post by hethebearded » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Has anyone had luck with scholarship reconsideration for Davis? I'm prepping for it depending on the MLK scholarship, but haven't heard of negotiation success for them yet this year.

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 pm

hethebearded wrote:Has anyone had luck with scholarship reconsideration for Davis? I'm prepping for it depending on the MLK scholarship, but haven't heard of negotiation success for them yet this year.
I got an extra $7,000/year for a total of $21k more, bumping my award up to $111,000 total.

hethebearded

New

Post by hethebearded » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Ashleighjarm wrote:
hethebearded wrote:Has anyone had luck with scholarship reconsideration for Davis? I'm prepping for it depending on the MLK scholarship, but haven't heard of negotiation success for them yet this year.
I got an extra $7,000/year for a total of $21k more, bumping my award up to $111,000 total.
Thanks! That's really helpful to know.

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Post by kaptainkeepa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:26 pm

I won't be able to attend the Admitted Students Weekend....someone keep me updated please!

Btw, is anyone concerned about not having many opportunities or much to do in the area?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:I won't be able to attend the Admitted Students Weekend....someone keep me updated please!

Btw, is anyone concerned about not having many opportunities or much to do in the area?

Same. On both accounts. I'm interested in big law and their numbers and reputation there aren't the strongest, for me it's a big negative for Davis.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:04 pm

There's Sacramento! the capital! Also, every bar is a dive bar in sacramento, so that's cool.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:I won't be able to attend the Admitted Students Weekend....someone keep me updated please!

kinda close(r) to snow, yosemite I guess

hethebearded

New

Post by hethebearded » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 am

I'm visiting the area right before the deposit deadline, so I'll post some impressions then for folks who haven't visited. It seems like their big law rep is strong in Sacramento, and they definitely place pretty well in the Bay Area (though less well than Berk/Stanford).

For me, the main draw is that I'm interested in PI and government work. For that, being right next to the capital is a huge draw. Other higher-ranked schools I'm considering in other states may place better state-wide, but aren't right by where the magic happens (so to speak). The ability to intern and extern for local nonprofits and government offices is huge for me. And it seems there's a lot to do for fun in Sacramento on the weekends too.

Oh, and check the externship list out! https://law.ucdavis.edu/externships/fil ... t-List.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:44 am

hethebearded wrote:

I'm visiting the area right before the deposit deadline, so I'll post some impressions then for folks who haven't visited. It seems like their big law rep is strong in Sacramento, and they definitely place pretty well in the Bay Area (though less well than Berk/Stanford).

For me, the main draw is that I'm interested in PI and government work. For that, being right next to the capital is a huge draw. Other higher-ranked schools I'm considering in other states may place better state-wide, but aren't right by where the magic happens (so to speak). The ability to intern and extern for local nonprofits and government offices is huge for me. And it seems there's a lot to do for fun in Sacramento on the weekends too.

Oh, and check the externship list out! https://law.ucdavis.edu/externships/fil ... t-List.pdf
Thanks for the list! I'm interested in IP, and in that field they don't have the strongest presence. I grew up 25-30 minutes from Davis and spent a lot of time there while friends were in college. It's a great small town with a strong community feel. They love their bikes, A LOT.

RC_Cola

New

Post by RC_Cola » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 am

Ashleighjarm wrote:

Same. On both accounts. I'm interested in big law and their numbers and reputation there aren't the strongest, for me it's a big negative for Davis.
i went to davis UG and grew up in sacramento, so if you want to know anything about the area, just ask.

unaisla

New

Post by unaisla » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Submit my application on the end of January, still haven't heard from Davis.

hethebearded

New

Post by hethebearded » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Did anyone who posts or browses here get awarded one of the MLK scholarships? If so, firstly, congrats! And, secondly, do you have a sense of whether you'll ultimately be accepting it?

Signed, an alternate for that scholarship :D 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:14 pm

withdrew my app today. A slot and $$$ to some deserving person on the WL.

Was literally driving to the ASD event and thought "Do I really want to be study in Davis and have a good shot at landing some job in Sacramento (the place I was born and moved away from at 18)" Hell no, turned around and put my deposit down at UW".

GL everyone.

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm

I wasn't able to make it to admitted students day, so wanted find out what everyone's impressions were...

Thanks!

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Post by kaptainkeepa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Jonesy2020 wrote:I wasn't able to make it to admitted students day, so wanted find out what everyone's impressions were...

Thanks!
+1

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:42 am

Jonesy2020 wrote:I wasn't able to make it to admitted students day, so wanted find out what everyone's impressions were...

Thanks!
kaptainkeepa wrote: +1
PM me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mikey947

New

Post by Mikey947 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:44 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:Finally accepted!!
Congrats! UC Davis is an amazing school. What are your other choices?

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Post by kaptainkeepa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Mikey947 wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:Finally accepted!!
Congrats! UC Davis is an amazing school. What are your other choices?
GW and Hastings.

jennageorge

New

Post by jennageorge » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 am

hethebearded wrote:Did anyone who posts or browses here get awarded one of the MLK scholarships? If so, firstly, congrats! And, secondly, do you have a sense of whether you'll ultimately be accepting it?

Oh hi fellow Alternate :)

hethebearded

New

Post by hethebearded » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:01 am

jennageorge wrote:
hethebearded wrote:Did anyone who posts or browses here get awarded one of the MLK scholarships? If so, firstly, congrats! And, secondly, do you have a sense of whether you'll ultimately be accepting it?

Congrats! Are you planning on attending? I think I will be, but I'm visiting this weekend and won't decide until Monday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 am

Does anyone know if the new employment stats have been released?

hethebearded

New

Post by hethebearded » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 am

chili_davis wrote:Does anyone know if the new employment stats have been released?
https://law.ucdavis.edu/career-services/statistics/
https://law.ucdavis.edu/career-services ... BA-590.pdf

These are the new numbers, no? From the looks of it, median and 75th salary for private sector and PI are up, and they had 7 more federal clerkships than the previous year (as someone interested in clerking, that's huge).

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:45 am

hethebearded wrote:
chili_davis wrote:Does anyone know if the new employment stats have been released?
https://law.ucdavis.edu/career-services/statistics/
https://law.ucdavis.edu/career-services ... BA-590.pdf

These are the new numbers, no? From the looks of it, median and 75th salary for private sector and PI are up, and they had 7 more federal clerkships than the previous year (as someone interested in clerking, that's huge).
Thanks! Yes, they look promising. Seems like if you're in the top 1/3 of students, you will certainly be able to find satisfactory employment.

jennageorge

New

Post by jennageorge » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 pm

hethebearded wrote:
jennageorge wrote:

Congrats! Are you planning on attending? I think I will be, but I'm visiting this weekend and won't decide until Monday.
My gut really wants to attend, but my mind is swaying me elsewhere. I have good connections in the Bay area, so I'm going to ask them for advice!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”