UC Davis c/0 2020 App Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
politibro44

New

Re: UC Davis c/0 2020 App

Post by politibro44 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:10 pm

[/quote] All very good points and I would agree regarding slight fluctuations having big effects on the 30-40 range. I just don't want to see UC Davis go the same route as Hastings.

I have tuition paid for, but will have to take out loans for a partial portion of my living expenses. My goal is to apply for a military JAG position, but want to leave myself options if it doesn't pan out. Preferably PI or local/state government if not. Would be shooting for SF/Sac/Portland/Seattle if possible.[/quote]

Sorry for the delayed response, I thought I had replied.

Given your goals and financial situation, Davis is likely a good choice. JAG visits our school every year for informational recruiting sessions. I've seen Navy, AF and Marines all represented. I don't know anyone personally who wants JAG, but I know people have gone that route in the past. It's obviously a very competitive program overall, but there's one AF base nearby where 1-2 alums work and an externship is probably easy to get.

PI and state/local government is really a sweet spot for King Hall. Given our proximity to Sac we have lots of alums in state government and PI orgs focusing on state issues. There are tons of externship opportunities and you are competitive for those jobs when they have openings, but government and PI hiring is finicky as there's no set schedule like big law. Anyone willing to network (which is really required for those types of gigs) can end up having an excellent outcome.

Bay Area and Sac are our strongest markets. Portland and Seattle would really require ties probably, and I don't personally know anyone who worked there. At OCI there were firms interviewing for Portland offices though.

Hope that helps.

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 pm

In after what felt like forever of waiting! Yay!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:24 am

politibro44 wrote:
All very good points and I would agree regarding slight fluctuations having big effects on the 30-40 range. I just don't want to see UC Davis go the same route as Hastings.

I have tuition paid for, but will have to take out loans for a partial portion of my living expenses. My goal is to apply for a military JAG position, but want to leave myself options if it doesn't pan out. Preferably PI or local/state government if not. Would be shooting for SF/Sac/Portland/Seattle if possible.[/quote]

Sorry for the delayed response, I thought I had replied.

Given your goals and financial situation, Davis is likely a good choice. JAG visits our school every year for informational recruiting sessions. I've seen Navy, AF and Marines all represented. I don't know anyone personally who wants JAG, but I know people have gone that route in the past. It's obviously a very competitive program overall, but there's one AF base nearby where 1-2 alums work and an externship is probably easy to get.

PI and state/local government is really a sweet spot for King Hall. Given our proximity to Sac we have lots of alums in state government and PI orgs focusing on state issues. There are tons of externship opportunities and you are competitive for those jobs when they have openings, but government and PI hiring is finicky as there's no set schedule like big law. Anyone willing to network (which is really required for those types of gigs) can end up having an excellent outcome.

Bay Area and Sac are our strongest markets. Portland and Seattle would really require ties probably, and I don't personally know anyone who worked there. At OCI there were firms interviewing for Portland offices though.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Very helpful! Thanks

spookyg_g_ghost

New

Post by spookyg_g_ghost » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:34 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:Does anyone know when Davis sends out scholarship info? Got in a couple weeks ago but it's been radio silence since. Haven't even recieved my packet yet.
I got accepted earlier this week, scholarship info followed a few days later, both via email.

best of luck

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Anybody know how often they disburse financial aid? Admitted in January and haven't received anything yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Accepted last night after a long AF wait. Hard to see myself at Davis just because I'd started planning for somewhere else at this point. Going to hang n for $$ and see if I can be swayed. Fingers crossed!

chili_davis

Bronze

Post by chili_davis » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:Anybody know how often they disburse financial aid? Admitted in January and haven't received anything yet.
Not sure how they're distributing aid, but I received my offer last week. Accepted in March.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 pm

another surprising waitlist... just now

adidasz

New

Post by adidasz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 am

WL'd today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RFTW

New

Post by RFTW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Received a email last week said "gift aid notification come only via a separate email within 5 business days or less of today's admission. Awarding continues on a rolling basis, based upon the date of admission."

But the 5 business days have passed, still no notification mail.

Does that mean I will not awarded or Davis just delayed?

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:30 pm

ugh same, there was a batch of schollies released last Friday, and I've been edgy ever since.

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 pm

How long were y'all at 'Evaluation in Progress' before receiving a decision?

Submitted 2/14
Complete 3/1
Evaluation in Progress 3/8

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Jonesy2020 wrote:How long were y'all at 'Evaluation in Progress' before receiving a decision?

Submitted 2/14
Complete 3/1
Evaluation in Progress 3/8
about 10days for me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:28 pm

In case any of you were hoping to negotiate your scholarship, just got my response and they don't match offers but have added me to a list in case any other scholarship opportunities appear.

Illegallyblondey

New

Post by Illegallyblondey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Ashleighjarm wrote:In case any of you were hoping to negotiate your scholarship, just got my response and they don't match offers but have added me to a list in case any other scholarship opportunities appear.
I got the same response today but I have hope. I have talked with many current UC Davis Law students who negotiated and got their scholarships raised (usually around $5,000) even thought the e-mail makes it sound like they don't do it.

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Illegallyblondey wrote:
Ashleighjarm wrote:In case any of you were hoping to negotiate your scholarship, just got my response and they don't match offers but have added me to a list in case any other scholarship opportunities appear.
I got the same response today but I have hope. I have talked with many current UC Davis Law students who negotiated and got their scholarships raised (usually around $5,000) even thought the e-mail makes it sound like they don't do it.
Good to know! Thank you!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 am

I'd just like to receive one! I'm curious if last Friday was the only/last day they've disbursed aid. damnit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am

Capt_Beatty wrote:
I'd just like to receive one! I'm curious if last Friday was the only/last day they've disbursed aid. damnit.
I applied in December and got my acceptance on 2/1 in one of the first waves. Not sure when you heard back. Overall Davis has taken forever!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Ashleighjarm wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:
I applied in December and got my acceptance on 2/1 in one of the first waves. Not sure when you heard back. Overall Davis has taken forever!
Admitted 01/16 :(

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:
Ashleighjarm wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:
Admitted 01/16 :(
That sucks. Honestly, I'd email them because there's not a whole lot of time left before deposits. The scholarship email came from Kristen Mercado.

jennageorge

New

Post by jennageorge » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

RFTW wrote:Received a email last week said "gift aid notification come only via a separate email within 5 business days or less of today's admission. Awarding continues on a rolling basis, based upon the date of admission."

But the 5 business days have passed, still no notification mail.

Does that mean I will not awarded or Davis just delayed?
I'm not sure if you heard back from them or someone else already responded- but my email said generally in 5 days. The "only" part was for how it would be communicated- by email that is. But, I know people heard back in 7-10 days too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm

I used the "contact us" email link to contact fin. aid on Friday, and received my scholarship award just now.

Question for those of you who received scholarships. what was the split between merit aid and need-based 60/40 50/50? I received a 45k Deans scholarship, but "after a review of your FAFSA, we are unable to offer you need-based gift aid(grants)". I did make a decent amount of money last year, so i get it.

I'm wondering how much need-based aid I can expect the following year (2018-2019)?

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:I used the "contact us" email link to contact fin. aid on Friday, and received my scholarship award just now.

Question for those of you who received scholarships. what was the split between merit aid and need-based 60/40 50/50? I received a 45k Deans scholarship, but "after a review of your FAFSA, we are unable to offer you need-based gift aid(grants)". I did make a decent amount of money last year, so i get it.

I'm wondering how much need-based aid I can expect the following year (2018-2019)?
45k total or a year?

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm

charles117 wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:I used the "contact us" email link to contact fin. aid on Friday, and received my scholarship award just now.

45k total or a year?
total.

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 pm

I received 70/30 merit and need based, adding up to full out of state tuition

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”