Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dirtybird720

New

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by Dirtybird720 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 am

Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I was accepted Jan. 26 with 16 scholy. FYI Asst. Dean States told us during the graduate program (October 2016) that they were not negotiating scholarships this year. I had lunch with the asst. direct of admissions and he echoed asst dean States about negotiations. I have 22K offer from Michigan State but OSU is a better law school in my opinion. Currently awaiting Northwestern and Emory.

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:27 am

Dirtybird720 wrote:Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I was accepted Jan. 26 with 16 scholy. FYI Asst. Dean States told us during the graduate program (October 2016) that they were not negotiating scholarships this year. I had lunch with the asst. direct of admissions and he echoed asst dean States about negotiations. I have 22K offer from Michigan State but OSU is a better law school in my opinion. Currently awaiting Northwestern and Emory.
Are you instate or out of state? Thanks for the info! Bummer they aren't negotiating

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:35 am

Dirtybird720 wrote:Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I was accepted Jan. 26 with 16 scholy. FYI Asst. Dean States told us during the graduate program (October 2016) that they were not negotiating scholarships this year. I had lunch with the asst. direct of admissions and he echoed asst dean States about negotiations. I have 22K offer from Michigan State but OSU is a better law school in my opinion. Currently awaiting Northwestern and Emory.
Well that kind of ruins things... :x

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:53 am

...uhhh, did anyone just get an email stating that they've been accepted early decision??? I just did, and I most certainly did NOT apply early decision or fill out the early decision agreement form (I went back to my LSAC application and checked)....

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:09 am

floatie wrote:...uhhh, did anyone just get an email stating that they've been accepted early decision??? I just did, and I most certainly did NOT apply early decision or fill out the early decision agreement form (I went back to my LSAC application and checked)....
I just got the same email...what the heck?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:11 am

em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:...uhhh, did anyone just get an email stating that they've been accepted early decision??? I just did, and I most certainly did NOT apply early decision or fill out the early decision agreement form (I went back to my LSAC application and checked)....
Oh thank god, I thought I massively f-ed up somewhere. I guess its just a glitch (especially since there were random typos).

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:12 am

floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
Oh thank god, I thought I massively f-ed up somewhere. I guess its just a glitch (especially since there were random typos).
And it gives deadlines that have already passed... Should we email them back about it?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 am

em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
And it gives deadlines that have already passed... Should we email them back about it?
Yeah, probably.

Dirtybird720

New

Post by Dirtybird720 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:06 pm

floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
Yeah, probably.
They sent me a second one saying it was a mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Dirtybird720 wrote:
floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
Yeah, probably.
They sent me a second one saying it was a mistake.
I got that too. Nice that they noticed

Dirtybird720

New

Post by Dirtybird720 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:09 pm

em15 wrote:
Are you instate or out of state? Thanks for the info! Bummer they aren't negotiating
No problem and yes, total bummer. I'm out of state as it relates to OSU. I'm from Atlanta.

smow4029

New

Post by smow4029 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:16 pm

That's definitely a huge downer that they're not negotiating this year. However, I have been assured by both alumni (not working for the school) and admissions staff that obtaining Ohio residency is easy and very doable for your 2nd and 3rd year. I have also been assured that your scholarship won't decrease if you switch to in-state tuition (some other schools I got into do that). It's not mindblowing savings, but it helps defray the cost fairly significantly.

Dirtybird720

New

Post by Dirtybird720 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:05 am

smow4029 wrote:That's definitely a huge downer that they're not negotiating this year. However, I have been assured by both alumni (not working for the school) and admissions staff that obtaining Ohio residency is easy and very doable for your 2nd and 3rd year. I have also been assured that your scholarship won't decrease if you switch to in-state tuition (some other schools I got into do that). It's not mindblowing savings, but it helps defray the cost fairly significantly.
Yes, it is! They sort of already line students up for residency changes after the first year. The big deal is not accepting money from outside the state and spending it in the state. But I'm almost certain that I'll be attending MORTIZ!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smow4029

New

Post by smow4029 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 am

Dirtybird720 wrote:
smow4029 wrote:That's definitely a huge downer that they're not negotiating this year. However, I have been assured by both alumni (not working for the school) and admissions staff that obtaining Ohio residency is easy and very doable for your 2nd and 3rd year. I have also been assured that your scholarship won't decrease if you switch to in-state tuition (some other schools I got into do that). It's not mindblowing savings, but it helps defray the cost fairly significantly.
Yes, it is! They sort of already line students up for residency changes after the first year. The big deal is not accepting money from outside the state and spending it in the state. But I'm almost certain that I'll be attending MORTIZ!
For sure. I'm assuming (and will email the school for more clarity if need be) that the rule about not accepting money does not include taking out loans to pay COL? Otherwise it would be tough to abide by those guidelines. OSU is definitely a real contender for me, too!

PurplePaladin

New

Post by PurplePaladin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:15 am

Got my scholarship information today. Was hoping for a little more but got 16K instate.

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 pm

I've gotten like 7 marketing emails since I've been under review, and at this point, I'm just like, "GIVE ME MY ACCEPTANCE ALREADY"

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:58 pm

njdevils327 wrote:I've gotten like 7 marketing emails since I've been under review, and at this point, I'm just like, "GIVE ME MY ACCEPTANCE ALREADY"
They call you with your acceptance before they email you anything, so don't stress about the emails

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:00 pm

em15 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:I've gotten like 7 marketing emails since I've been under review, and at this point, I'm just like, "GIVE ME MY ACCEPTANCE ALREADY"
They call you with your acceptance before they email you anything, so don't stress about the emails
No i know. But it's like, if they've sent me so much in the snail mail and email trying to convince me to apply, just speed the process along and use those resources to admit me to the school (hopefully with a nice scholly)

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:19 pm

njdevils327 wrote:
em15 wrote:
No i know. But it's like, if they've sent me so much in the snail mail and email trying to convince me to apply, just speed the process along and use those resources to admit me to the school (hopefully with a nice scholly)
When did you apply and go UR?

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:38 pm

January 9, but I'm above the 75 for LSAT by more than a half dozen points and 50<GPA<75. Was hoping that Ohio State would be a quick one getting back to me.

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:45 pm

njdevils327 wrote:January 9, but I'm above the 75 for LSAT by more than a half dozen points and 50<GPA<75. Was hoping that Ohio State would be a quick one getting back to me.
Wow, yeah I'm surprised. I applied 1/11 and heard back last week. No idea what could be holding them up then.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:58 pm

em15 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:January 9, but I'm above the 75 for LSAT by more than a half dozen points and 50<GPA<75. Was hoping that Ohio State would be a quick one getting back to me.
Wow, yeah I'm surprised. I applied 1/11 and heard back last week. No idea what could be holding them up then.
Yeah I'm hoping it's not YP or something like that. I would seriously consider going if I got a great scholarship cause it's a school I've wanted to go to since I was young. My last update was UR on 1/11/17

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:07 pm

njdevils327 wrote:
em15 wrote:
Yeah I'm hoping it's not YP or something like that. I would seriously consider going if I got a great scholarship cause it's a school I've wanted to go to since I was young. My last update was UR on 1/11/17
I went UR just a day after you. Maybe our files went into different people's hands and one is just slower than the other?

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Does anyone know when admitted student days are? On their website it says that admitted students would get an email with the info, but I haven't received one yet.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:20 pm

em15 wrote:Does anyone know when admitted student days are? On their website it says that admitted students would get an email with the info, but I haven't received one yet.
March 3&4, and April 7&8. I got the email earlier today with my login info, so yours should be on its way soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”