Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
em15

Bronze

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by em15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 pm

floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:Does anyone know when admitted student days are? On their website it says that admitted students would get an email with the info, but I haven't received one yet.
March 3&4, and April 7&8. I got the email earlier today with my login info, so yours should be on its way soon.
Thank you!! Are you going to one?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:24 pm

em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:Does anyone know when admitted student days are? On their website it says that admitted students would get an email with the info, but I haven't received one yet.
March 3&4, and April 7&8. I got the email earlier today with my login info, so yours should be on its way soon.
Probably not. I went to OSU for undergrad and did some work at Moritz already, so I'm already pretty familiar with the law school/area/etc, and both of their weekends conflicts with other ASDs.

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 pm

floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:
Probably not. I went to OSU for undergrad and did some work at Moritz already, so I'm already pretty familiar with the law school/area/etc, and both of their weekends conflicts with other ASDs.
Ah gotcha! I'm from Cleveland, so I'm debating on just going down for a quick visit whenever or doing one of those official weekends. I've been trying to work out when to visit where, but it's really tough when I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools.

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Dirtybird720 wrote:
floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:
em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:...uhhh, did anyone just get an email stating that they've been accepted early decision??? I just did, and I most certainly did NOT apply early decision or fill out the early decision agreement form (I went back to my LSAC application and checked)....
I just got the same email...what the heck?!
Oh thank god, I thought I massively f-ed up somewhere. I guess its just a glitch (especially since there were random typos).
And it gives deadlines that have already passed... Should we email them back about it?
Yeah, probably.
They sent me a second one saying it was a mistake.
I just got my acceptance letter in the mail, and it says I was an early decision applicant like that email did...

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:13 pm

em15 wrote: I just got my acceptance letter in the mail, and it says I was an early decision applicant like that email did...
That's super weird. But at least there's written confirmation that the Early Decision part is a mistake...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:14 pm

floatie wrote:
em15 wrote: I just got my acceptance letter in the mail, and it says I was an early decision applicant like that email did...
That's super weird. But at least there's written confirmation that the Early Decision part is a mistake...
Yeah, the letter looks just like the email, so I'm guessing it just automatically gets sent out with the email?

Nobiggie

New

Post by Nobiggie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:27 pm

I signed up for the March 3/4 ASW and accepted the scholly offer late December. I haven't received any confirmation email yet. Should I be worried?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:20 pm

I just got the same thing.

BTW - If anyone on here has questions about OSU in general/where to live/ etc, I'm happy to answer questions, as I went to OSU for undergrad

Sophia_Mills

New

Post by Sophia_Mills » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:30 pm

I was recently emailed with a Merit Scholarship offer. Does anyone happen to know if they consider you for leadership scholarships/public service scholarships at a separate time? I'm super happy with the offer (and the acceptance!) but just wondering if there's still also a chance I will get others.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sophia_Mills

New

Post by Sophia_Mills » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:54 pm

floatie wrote:
I just got the same thing.

BTW - If anyone on here has questions about OSU in general/where to live/ etc, I'm happy to answer questions, as I went to OSU for undergrad
Are the areas around campus dangerous? I've heard a lot of people talk about how unsafe they are, but I also figure the concerns could be overblown. I'm from a pretty small town and trying to decide whether I want to live close to campus or do what I'm leaning toward and getting something 8-10 miles away from campus.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Sophia_Mills wrote: Are the areas around campus dangerous? I've heard a lot of people talk about how unsafe they are, but I also figure the concerns could be overblown. I'm from a pretty small town and trying to decide whether I want to live close to campus or do what I'm leaning toward and getting something 8-10 miles away from campus.
I'll be honest - I've lived in two major cities, and I was still much more cautious around OSU than I was in either of the other big cities. There are a couple of rough neighborhoods around OSU, and there are pretty regular incidents of car break-ins or muggings around campus. That said, I don't think it's so bad that I'd avoid OSU completely. The neighborhoods East and South of campus tend to be rougher. I lived West of campus (close to Upper Arlington/Grandview), and had absolutely no issues living there, although it's farther out and I would usually drive to campus (15 min commute). The campus itself and the immediate surrounding areas are pretty safe as well.

manhattandr3amin

New

Post by manhattandr3amin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:25 pm

floatie wrote:
Sophia_Mills wrote: Are the areas around campus dangerous? I've heard a lot of people talk about how unsafe they are, but I also figure the concerns could be overblown. I'm from a pretty small town and trying to decide whether I want to live close to campus or do what I'm leaning toward and getting something 8-10 miles away from campus.
I'll be honest - I've lived in two major cities, and I was still much more cautious around OSU than I was in either of the other big cities. There are a couple of rough neighborhoods around OSU, and there are pretty regular incidents of car break-ins or muggings around campus. That said, I don't think it's so bad that I'd avoid OSU completely. The neighborhoods East and South of campus tend to be rougher. I lived West of campus (close to Upper Arlington/Grandview), and had absolutely no issues living there, although it's farther out and I would usually drive to campus (15 min commute). The campus itself and the immediate surrounding areas are pretty safe as well.
I've been looking at a few places in the Victorian Village/Short North area. It seems to be pretty nice from everything I've been looking at; would you agree? It's so hard to find housing in a new city you're so unfamiliar with!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:29 pm

manhattandr3amin wrote: I've been looking at a few places in the Victorian Village/Short North area. It seems to be pretty nice from everything I've been looking at; would you agree? It's so hard to find housing in a new city you're so unfamiliar with!
You're probably going to have to drive, and some of those neighborhoods can get pretty congested parking-wise. But overall I'd say it's pretty safe (Victorian Village moreso than the Short North). The further west you go, the safer it usually is. You can also go a little closer to campus up by the Medical Center.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ColoBoul

New

Post by ColoBoul » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:44 pm

manhattandr3amin wrote:
floatie wrote:
I've been looking at a few places in the Victorian Village/Short North area. It seems to be pretty nice from everything I've been looking at; would you agree? It's so hard to find housing in a new city you're so unfamiliar with!
In general areas around OSU have slowly been gentrifying over the past 10-15 years. For me I would only be comfortable living west of high street south of campus, possibly east of high south of 2nd Ave (southern Italian village area). Victorian Village is fine, save for some dumpy apartments near goodale. I would also consider living north of campus a little bit (Clintonville), say north of Arcadia to maybe East North Broadway between Summit on the east to the Olentangy River on the western side. Grandview is a good area, but you'll have to drive to campus. I would advise not living in the farther out suburbs, not as much to do and you'll have to drive to do anything with classmates. Also if you decide to live where you have to drive, consider getting a garage pass at the Ohio Union north garage it's a 3 minute walk to the law school. It's about double to cost of the surface C passes. The surface lots fill up around 7am which didn't work for me.

manhattandr3amin

New

Post by manhattandr3amin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:47 pm

ColoBoul wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:
floatie wrote:
In general areas around OSU have slowly been gentrifying over the past 10-15 years. For me I would only be comfortable living west of high street south of campus, possibly east of high south of 2nd Ave (southern Italian village area). Victorian Village is fine, save for some dumpy apartments near goodale. I would also consider living north of campus a little bit (Clintonville), say north of Arcadia to maybe East North Broadway between Summit on the east to the Olentangy River on the western side. Grandview is a good area, but you'll have to drive to campus. I would advise not living in the farther out suburbs, not as much to do and you'll have to drive to do anything with classmates. Also if you decide to live where you have to drive, consider getting a garage pass at the Ohio Union north garage it's a 3 minute walk to the law school. It's about double to cost of the surface C passes. The surface lots fill up around 7am which didn't work for me.
Thank you so much for the information! Are there any good apartment complexes that you recommend/know of? The few places I've been looking at in Victorian Village are really nice but a little pricey.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:23 pm

manhattandr3amin wrote: Thank you so much for the information! Are there any good apartment complexes that you recommend/know of? The few places I've been looking at in Victorian Village are really nice but a little pricey.
I'll PM you

Sophia_Mills

New

Post by Sophia_Mills » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:42 pm

ColoBoul wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:
floatie wrote:
Thank you both for the info!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ubookie

New

Post by ubookie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

anyone else dying of anticipation? CMON OSU, PLS GET BACK TO ME. Their admissions process is so slow, jeez

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:24 am

So is it confirmed? Is OSU not negotiating scholarships this year?

Please some insight would go a long way!

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm

In with a full scholly. Waiting to see when/if I can visit the school coming up, but I probably need to try to get them to push back the seat deposit deadline.

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:46 pm

So I'm on the waitlist and didn't really care too much about getting off until recently when I realized I didn't have strong feelings toward any school I currently have offers from. I know they have that little online form to indicate continued interest on staying on the waitlist but do you guys think it would be fine if I sent in a LOCI too?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smow4029

New

Post by smow4029 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:55 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote:So I'm on the waitlist and didn't really care too much about getting off until recently when I realized I didn't have strong feelings toward any school I currently have offers from. I know they have that little online form to indicate continued interest on staying on the waitlist but do you guys think it would be fine if I sent in a LOCI too?
If it were me, I'd for sure send an LOCI before the April 1st seat deposit deadline. This is purely opinion and based on no experience except for my own this cycle, but I can't see how showing strong interest before they start to get offers turned down could hurt you when they start evaluating the WL for the next round of acceptances.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:44 pm

onecallthats all wrote:So is it confirmed? Is OSU not negotiating scholarships this year?

Please some insight would go a long way!
SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Officially turned down my acceptance at OSU. I have mad respect for my alma mater but I couldn't justify the cost. They are not negotiating scholarships this year (I came to them with far higher offers at higher ranked schools and they still didn't negotiate). Hoping someone on the waitlist gets my spot!

If anyone else has any questions about OSU, I'm still available to answer them!

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:05 pm

floatie wrote:Officially turned down my acceptance at OSU. I have mad respect for my alma mater but I couldn't justify the cost. They are not negotiating scholarships this year (I came to them with far higher offers at higher ranked schools and they still didn't negotiate). Hoping someone on the waitlist gets my spot!

If anyone else has any questions about OSU, I'm still available to answer them!

Do you know if everyone will be able to pay in-state tuition after 1L?
If that's true, it will be a super discount .

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”