Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
floatie

Silver

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by floatie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
floatie wrote:Officially turned down my acceptance at OSU. I have mad respect for my alma mater but I couldn't justify the cost. They are not negotiating scholarships this year (I came to them with far higher offers at higher ranked schools and they still didn't negotiate). Hoping someone on the waitlist gets my spot!

If anyone else has any questions about OSU, I'm still available to answer them!

Do you know if everyone will be able to pay in-state tuition after 1L?
If that's true, it will be a super discount .
Should be true for most people. Getting in-state status in Ohio is easy compared to other states. Sadly, even with in-state status OSU would've been more expensive for me than other higher-ranked schools

manhattandr3amin

New

Post by manhattandr3amin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Anyone who has committed looking for a place to live/a roommate? I have found a few nice places near campus, that are a little more expensive, but would be cheaper and more reasonable with a roommate. PM me if interested!

lk7999

New

Post by lk7999 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:51 am

Accepted with a scholarship that wouldn't warrant passing up other offers. So, I withdrew my application today, good luck to those waiting on a decision today!

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 pm

In today above 75ths

sms0918

New

Post by sms0918 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 pm

shotgunheist wrote:In today above 75ths
When did you apply?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sms0918

New

Post by sms0918 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before, but anyone know when residency status needs to be submitted by? I don't live in state currently but grew up & graduated high school in Ohio, so I think I would qualify for in state. I'm trying to figure out if the odds for a good scholarship are higher if they know I'm going to be considered a resident or not...

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 am

How long did it take yall to recieve scholly info?

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 pm

shotgunheist wrote:How long did it take yall to recieve scholly info?
It took a week for me

TBB51

New

Post by TBB51 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Hey all, for ease of use, I'm just submitting a question I put on reddit as I did there. Just a question about accepting a scholarship / putting a deposit down. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

BACKGROUND:
I applied to 10 schools across a variety of tiers to try and get the best possible offers. So far, I've heard back from 7 of them, all have admitted and offered some kind of scholarship. But the big shock was when my home-state school Ohio State offered a full-tuition scholarship.
I've yet to hear from my three reach schools of Vandy, Duke and Michigan. MyLSN seems to show a decent chance at those three, but any other info y'all have on that wouldn't go amiss.

I called those three admissions offices and they said that putting a deposit down at another school wouldn't negatively impact my application there and that I can always submit a LOCI explaining said deposit for their admissions officers to consider.

But my concern is regarding putting the deposit down / scholarship with OSU, the deadline for that is April 1. I.E. whether that would obligate me to withdraw / not accept any other offers? I'm hesitant to email/call OSU's admissions office about that, lest I imperil my best current offer.

My gut is to put down the April 1 desposit, accept the scholarship and wait to hear back from those three and just eat the $ if I end up heading elsewhere. Thoughts?

QUESTION:
Should I put down my OSU deposit/accept the scholarship and wait for to hear back from the other three?

RESULTS:
Ohio State- In, Full Scholarship (4/1 deadline)
Waiting on responses from Michigan, Vanderbilt, and Duke.

STATS:
GPA: 3.53 LSAT: 168, non-URM, 5-year gap between graduation and law school (professional work as journalist) Goal: Depending, but potentially BigLaw for financial security for a few years, followed by legal investigative work in government, private sector, etc.

Thanks very much for any and all insight, advice, and/or opinions you can give me on this!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

TBB51 wrote:Hey all, for ease of use, I'm just submitting a question I put on reddit as I did there. Just a question about accepting a scholarship / putting a deposit down. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

BACKGROUND:
I applied to 10 schools across a variety of tiers to try and get the best possible offers. So far, I've heard back from 7 of them, all have admitted and offered some kind of scholarship. But the big shock was when my home-state school Ohio State offered a full-tuition scholarship.
I've yet to hear from my three reach schools of Vandy, Duke and Michigan. MyLSN seems to show a decent chance at those three, but any other info y'all have on that wouldn't go amiss.

I called those three admissions offices and they said that putting a deposit down at another school wouldn't negatively impact my application there and that I can always submit a LOCI explaining said deposit for their admissions officers to consider.

But my concern is regarding putting the deposit down / scholarship with OSU, the deadline for that is April 1. I.E. whether that would obligate me to withdraw / not accept any other offers? I'm hesitant to email/call OSU's admissions office about that, lest I imperil my best current offer.

My gut is to put down the April 1 desposit, accept the scholarship and wait to hear back from those three and just eat the $ if I end up heading elsewhere. Thoughts?

QUESTION:
Should I put down my OSU deposit/accept the scholarship and wait for to hear back from the other three?

RESULTS:

STATS:
GPA: 3.53 LSAT: 168, non-URM, 5-year gap between graduation and law school (professional work as journalist) Goal: Depending, but potentially BigLaw for financial security for a few years, followed by legal investigative work in government, private sector, etc.

Thanks very much for any and all insight, advice, and/or opinions you can give me on this!
I'd first send OSU an email to see if you can get an extension on the deposit deadline

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Does anyone know what time on the 1st deposits are due by?

TBB51

New

Post by TBB51 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:28 pm

em15 wrote:
TBB51 wrote:Hey all, for ease of use, I'm just submitting a question I put on reddit as I did there. Just a question about accepting a scholarship / putting a deposit down. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

BACKGROUND:

QUESTION:

RESULTS:

STATS:

I'd first send OSU an email to see if you can get an extension on the deposit deadline
Got a hold of OSU admissions and they said no withdrawals required, so thanks for the advice.

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:57 am

I was waitlisted for OSU, does anyone know how their scholarships for WL, then accepted students work? I'm in state, but without a scholarship it would cost way more than a school I've already been accepted to with a similar ranking that's out of state for me. Trying to decide if it's worth waiting it out or if I should just deposit at the other school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ColoBoul

New

Post by ColoBoul » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:17 am

ryan.laine94 wrote:I was waitlisted for OSU, does anyone know how their scholarships for WL, then accepted students work? I'm in state, but without a scholarship it would cost way more than a school I've already been accepted to with a similar ranking that's out of state for me. Trying to decide if it's worth waiting it out or if I should just deposit at the other school.
I have a friend who was accepted in June of our admissions cycle with numbers at or below the 25th for both LSAT and GPA. He was in state and still received $7k a year in scholarship. I suspect if you're below both medians you can expect a similar offer, it might be a little higher now because tuition is higher.

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:38 am

ColoBoul wrote:
ryan.laine94 wrote:I was waitlisted for OSU, does anyone know how their scholarships for WL, then accepted students work? I'm in state, but without a scholarship it would cost way more than a school I've already been accepted to with a similar ranking that's out of state for me. Trying to decide if it's worth waiting it out or if I should just deposit at the other school.
I have a friend who was accepted in June of our admissions cycle with numbers at or below the 25th for both LSAT and GPA. He was in state and still received $7k a year in scholarship. I suspect if you're below both medians you can expect a similar offer, it might be a little higher now because tuition is higher.
Thanks for the info! I am >75 % LSAT, <25% GPA so hopefully my LSAT score will get me some more money if I'm accepted.

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Anyone going to ASW this weekend?

law4me2020

New

Post by law4me2020 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Heyo,

Anyone on the waitlist receive an update about their status yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jgoodwin10

New

Post by jgoodwin10 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:08 pm

law4me2020 wrote:Heyo,

Haven't heard a thing yet either, unfortunately. Good luck!

n1996

New

Post by n1996 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:29 pm

law4me2020 wrote:Heyo,

Haven't heard anything yet! Wondering if anyone else has heard from the waitlist?

thenorthremembers

New

Post by thenorthremembers » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am

Still waiting to hear back as well. Getting a little impatient. Anyone have any thoughts/insights into their waitlist at this point?

n1996

New

Post by n1996 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 pm

thenorthremembers wrote:Still waiting to hear back as well. Getting a little impatient. Anyone have any thoughts/insights into their waitlist at this point?
I actually gave them a call yesterday and they told me their Assistant Dean just got back from vacation and they haven't really decided if they're gonna be taking people off the waitlist yet? Not too much new information really

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

n1996

New

Post by n1996 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:20 am

Got an update on their waitlist! Apparently they don't really anticipate taking anyone off the waitlist at this point, but if they do, just be ready to make a decision quickly

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”