Fordham Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lillawyer2

Silver

Re: Fordham Law c/o 2020

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:27 pm

snarfing wrote:so how did people feel about asd. How much was bs do you think?
I actually didn't think any of it was bs-March 4th attendee. Did you think any of it was bs?

I tought the student panel was honest to the best of their knowledge. I do think the student panel wasn't a reflection of their best students-in past experience, schools usually request their top studebts to speak. At Fordham's asd, they had a diverse panel. One student admitted his grades were so-so and he gave his take on opportunities, FLaW community, prospects, OCI. Another student she was interning at a top firm-participated in many organizations and was very school oriented. The last young man had very high spirits and was the cheerleader of the group. He provided his take on the school's community and resources. The last young lady was a night student. She was brutally honest. lol

The mock class was good. The professor was very engaging and warm.

Everyone who spoke was wonderful.

bosstweedfan

New

Post by bosstweedfan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:30 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
I actually didn't think any of it was bs-March 4th attendee. Did you think any of it was bs?

I tought the student panel was honest to the best of their knowledge. I do think the student panel wasn't a reflection of their best students-in past experience, schools usually request their top studebts to speak. At Fordham's asd, they had a diverse panel. One student admitted his grades were so-so and he gave his take on opportunities, FLaW community, prospects, OCI. Another student she was interning at a top firm-participated in many organizations and was very school oriented. The last young man had very high spirits and was the cheerleader of the group. He provided his take on the school's community and resources. The last young lady was a night student. She was brutally honest. lol

Would you mind sharing what the so-so student had to say about job opportunities? I have no doubt the top third do fine, I am worried about what happens to the median students.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:32 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:

It just felt weird that the worst part of fordham according to students was they didnt like the art and the elevator sucks.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:14 pm

bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Would you mind sharing what the so-so student had to say about job opportunities? I have no doubt the top third do fine, I am worried about what happens to the median students.
From what I remember, he said he had NO problems landing an internship. For all I know, it could have been a PI internship-which to my understanding are plentiful considering most studens strive for something else. I wish I could remember, if he went into detail about his internship. I do remember his conversation about OCI. He said he was very surprised at the amount of call backs and how well it went-considering he was a so/so student. I think he said he received two offers.

Also the Pt student already worked at a TOP firm-as I remember. So she was already set.

bosstweedfan

New

Post by bosstweedfan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:54 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

From what I remember, he said he had NO problems landing an internship. For all I know, it could have been a PI internship-which to my understanding are plentiful considering most studens strive for something else. I wish I could remember, if he went into detail about his internship. I do remember his conversation about OCI. He said he was very surprised at the amount of call backs and how well it went-considering he was a so/so student. I think he said he received two offers.

Also the Pt student already worked at a TOP firm-as I remember. So she was already set.
Ok thanks for posting, that makes feel a little better, even though its anecdotal

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:40 pm

bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Ok thanks for posting, that makes feel a little better, even though its anecdotal
One thing I wish I would have asked the so-so student, was what resources are available to assist students who are struggling with the material? Why did he feel he received so-so grades and what did he find so challenging about the material?

It's hard for me to fathom poor grades, because I never had them. I always understood-succeeded in school, but undergrad and grad school sre two different beast-so I wish I had more insight there.

bosstweedfan

New

Post by bosstweedfan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:00 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

One thing I wish I would have asked the so-so student, was what resources are available to assist students who are struggling with the material? Why did he feel he received so-so grades and what did he find so challenging about the material?

It's hard for me to fathom poor grades, because I never had them. I always understood-succeeded in school, but undergrad and grad school sre two different beast-so I wish I had more insight there.
I would think it was the curve that got him? I bet he did understand the material and maybe even had a decent final exam, but you have to compete against all your other classmates. Not everyone can get a B or an A like in a lot of underdgrad and grad programs

jurisdoctor2020

New

Post by jurisdoctor2020 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Did anyone have a Stein Scholars interview during ASD? Just curious how it went!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Last edited by Legallylawyer2020 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kotleta

New

Post by kotleta » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:58 am

Is anyone else having an issue logging on to the admitted students website? I haven't been able to log on/see any info about when the deposit is due and how much it is/don't know what other info is on there

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:46 am

kotleta wrote:Is anyone else having an issue logging on to the admitted students website? I haven't been able to log on/see any info about when the deposit is due and how much it is/don't know what other info is on there
Deadline is April 18th, I believe.

When I try logging into the ASW on my phone it only works if I'm connected to wifi. Possibly the same reason you're having trouble?

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:54 pm

kotleta wrote:Is anyone else having an issue logging on to the admitted students website? I haven't been able to log on/see any info about when the deposit is due and how much it is/don't know what other info is on there
I get the whole infinite redirects error on my computer so I have to use my phone or my significant other's computer

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:44 am

A bump in their 2016 placement figures and an e-mail about a need-based grant got Fordham back into the race again, for me.

Had a few questions from the current students, here!

1. My wife would be moving in with me and she can't work as she would be on a dependant visa. We need a 1BHK. Is it possible to get a reasonable 1BHK for 1200-1300 within an hour's train/metro distance from the school (like Jersey City or somewhere there)?

2. The fin award letter i received says this about the need based grant - " The Fordham Law School Grant is guaranteed and may only be reduced in your final year depending on your earnings during the summer preceding your final year."

Does it mean they can reduce only my final year grant or can they eat into my 1st and 2nd year grant retrospectively, as well? I will check with them anyway but wanted to check with a current student ITT.

Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:56 am

bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
bosstweedfan wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

I would think it was the curve that got him? I bet he did understand the material and maybe even had a decent final exam, but you have to compete against all your other classmates. Not everyone can get a B or an A like in a lot of underdgrad and grad programs
I think you are right! I forget about that pesky curve. :(

JC2017

New

Post by JC2017 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:28 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:A bump in their 2016 placement figures and an e-mail about a need-based grant got Fordham back into the race again, for me.

1. My wife would be moving in with me and she can't work as she would be on a dependant visa. We need a 1BHK. Is it possible to get a reasonable 1BHK for 1200-1300 within an hour's train/metro distance from the school (like Jersey City or somewhere there)?

2. The fin award letter i received says this about the need based grant - " The Fordham Law School Grant is guaranteed and may only be reduced in your final year depending on your earnings during the summer preceding your final year."

Does it mean they can reduce only my final year grant or can they eat into my 1st and 2nd year grant retrospectively, as well? I will check with them anyway but wanted to check with a current student ITT.

Thanks
You can definitely find apartments for that range in Jersey City as long as you know where to look. I've lived in The Heights neighborhood of Jersey City for 5 years, which is at the northwest section of town and sits above Hoboken on a cliff. I cannot recommend the The Heights any more highly, as it has the perfect combination of affordability, amenities, and transportation. Depending on where exactly you find a place it should take you 45-60 minutes door to door to get to FLS. PS I am also likely heading to Fordham in the fall, so we could be study buddies :)

Here's a good example of what you can get for your price range. I recommend searching "Jersey City Heights" in craigslist every day to see what comes up. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions, as I am a JC expert these days. Cheers!

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/6056704604.html

mycollar

New

Post by mycollar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Anyone still waiting to hear back? My application was marked as complete since 3/28.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm

JC2017 wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:A bump in their 2016 placement figures and an e-mail about a need-based grant got Fordham back into the race again, for me.

Thanks
You can definitely find apartments for that range in Jersey City as long as you know where to look. I've lived in The Heights neighborhood of Jersey City for 5 years, which is at the northwest section of town and sits above Hoboken on a cliff. I cannot recommend the The Heights any more highly, as it has the perfect combination of affordability, amenities, and transportation. Depending on where exactly you find a place it should take you 45-60 minutes door to door to get to FLS. PS I am also likely heading to Fordham in the fall, so we could be study buddies :)

Here's a good example of what you can get for your price range. I recommend searching "Jersey City Heights" in craigslist every day to see what comes up. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions, as I am a JC expert these days. Cheers!

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/6056704604.html
Some great tips. Thanks much, buddy. Have sent you a pm too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smashbash

Bronze

Post by smashbash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Just declined my offer, so hopefully someone here benefits from my spot/scholly!

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Random question but is anybody taking their dogs with them to Fordham, and if so how is the apartment hunt going?

arod

New

Post by arod » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 am

mycollar wrote:Anyone still waiting to hear back? My application was marked as complete since 3/28.

same completion date, but i'm thinking it may be at least a few weeks before we hear back, since the app deadline was 3/31

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am

Does anyone know when you can join student groups as a 1L? I assume the fall-there are some I am very interested in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lkb

New

Post by lkb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi guys, I hope it's okay that I ask this because I could really use your opinions - I'm having a difficult time choosing between Fordham and BC. One of Fordham's biggest draws is its location in NYC (I would like to work there after graduation), but I was wondering whether location should play that big of a role in my decision? I would really appreciate any thoughts on BC vs. Fordham.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm

lkb wrote:Hi guys, I hope it's okay that I ask this because I could really use your opinions - I'm having a difficult time choosing between Fordham and BC. One of Fordham's biggest draws is its location in NYC (I would like to work there after graduation), but I was wondering whether location should play that big of a role in my decision? I would really appreciate any thoughts on BC vs. Fordham.

If u want to practice in NyC, then pick Fodham. I can't see how going to BC helps in the NYC market-when NYC has so many great schools.

I know BC is ranked higher, but its not an ivy league, where it has that certain Pull...imo (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Who gave the bigger skolly?

What is your financial/living situation like?

lkb

New

Post by lkb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:02 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
lkb wrote:Hi guys, I hope it's okay that I ask this because I could really use your opinions - I'm having a difficult time choosing between Fordham and BC. One of Fordham's biggest draws is its location in NYC (I would like to work there after graduation), but I was wondering whether location should play that big of a role in my decision? I would really appreciate any thoughts on BC vs. Fordham.

If u want to practice in NyC, then pick Fodham. I can't see how going to BC helps in the NYC market-when NYC has so many great schools.

I know BC is ranked higher, but its not an ivy league, where it has that certain Pull...imo (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Fordham gave the bigger skolly. Seems everything is pointing towards it, I apparently just need some confirmation :)

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 pm

lkb wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Fordham gave the bigger skolly. Seems everything is pointing towards it, I apparently just need some confirmation :)

Agree with lillawyer2's post. Sounds like Fordham has $ and location over BC--what does BC have over Fordham for you? Is it just the comparative ranking or is there another factor?

FWIW, location has played an unexpectedly big role in my choice (though I'm still deliberating) but you gotta do what's right for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”