Fordham Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law c/o 2020

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
Nero21 wrote:Does anybody know if Fordham will send packets/envelops to our homes if we were accepted? Also I've been apartment searching, does anybody know the best way too find reasonable apartments in or near Fordham? I don't mind commuting but Zillow seems to not be the best option. Any New Yorkers who can give any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Ive gotten acceptance packet and another accepted students guide mailed.

On an unrelated topic, what's the parking situation like?
You'd have to be out of your mind to try to regularly commute into NYC by car. Cheaper to just take the metro north.
Depending on how much you can get monthly parking for in the city, this isn't necessarily true. Depending on the distance from your house to the school, taking the train could cost you $20 train, at least $10 parking at train station, subway fare, etc. Probably be quicker and more convenient to commute by car and likely cheaper too.
...no...taking the train is significantly cheaper/convenient hands down. If you're planning on showing up to class more than 2 times per week, then you should most definitely get an unlimited metrocard ~$115/month. This will also let you go out on weekends, etc. You can also get an unlimited LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) if you plan on living in Queens or even deeper into Long Island (although I would advise against this). Parking is usually free at the station. A bunch of people live in Manhattan (more affordable options just uptown near Columbia), Brookly, or Astoria (Queens - one or two subway stops from Manhattan). The subway system in NYC is actually surprisingly efficient (especially compared to 3rd world DC Metro). My friend commutes to Manhattan from Astoria, Queens and usually has a 30 min commute.

Tolls to Manhattan is extremely expensive, ranging from $8.50 - $17 ONE WAY. That's already more than your daily train/subway costs and that's not including the price for parking which is also ridiculous. Not sure about where Fordham is but prices for garages near NYU are like $25/day. Parking near Fordham is definitely more expensive. Don't even think about doing roadside parking because you won't ever get one.

Edit: Completely forgot about gas. But yeah, you get the point.
I'm talking about commuting from mid-Northern Westchester (which I'm not going to do, I'm moving to Manhattan). But in my experience, the drive to LC is pretty quick assuming you're not going during peak rush hour and I know there's discounts for parking for Fordham. I don't really consider gas a big factor but that's just me. My train tickets are $21 x 5 days a week RT, I have never seen free parking at any of the train stations in Westchester and from what I hear it can go anywhere from $100-$200 a month, and then subway fare which is pretty insignificant, and the time it takes to get from at least where I live down to GCT (just short of an hour), over to the West Side, and then back up to 62nd street - just doesn't seem feasible. But that's just my experience.

Taking the train would be just as expensive and far less convenient. Of course, this is all said as a New Yorker who would likely never commute from Westchester to Manhattan every day, I'm just saying it's not really out-of-your-mind worthy to consider driving instead of taking the train.
True, I'm really not too familiar with Westchester at all but I'm just going to assume that most Fordham students don't commute from there haha.

Also, if your train tickets are priced like that, it might be worth getting an unlimited pass.

It's 5 stops from Grand Central to LC...sure, it's midly inconvenient that you have to transfer trains but welcome to NY, everyone does it.
I'm late to this party - but I would not recommend driving. It's not the tolls that will get you (plenty of ways to get into NYC from Westchester or CT without paying tolls) - it's the shitty TRAFFIC. All the highways are a mess especially during the morning commute and evening commute. Assuming you have classes early or late - it just may not be worth it to drive. If you can get past that, then it's the shitty parking situation. You could opt for garage parking - but like other people have said, commuting via Metro North would probably be cheaper. Even if it wasn't much cheaper, I would still opt for Metro North. I hate the unpredictable traffic.

I see that you say that it takes almost an hour for you to get to GCT.... which probably means if you drove, you would be in the car for around the same time - maybe even longer. Also, is your car good on gas? If not, not sure if it's worth it - even if you say gas is a non-factor.

Also, contrary to popular belief - lots of people commute from Westchester to Fordham Law. Even the admissions dean (or associate dean...too many titles to remember) - she commutes from Rockland or something. So, yes - it's possible.

P.S. I'm from Westchester (but my commute into GCT is about 25 - 30 min) and have done this commute thing many times if you want to PM me.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 am

Ok! So no driving! Got it. Anyone here get or negotiate for a full scholarship?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:39 am

lillawyer2 wrote:I just received my Admitted Students Guide. It had a lot of useful information.
In the mail? I still haven't gotten this and I was wondering if it was even going to come, but I also didn't check my mail yesterday.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 am

LegallyBlackJD wrote:I'm late to this party - but I would not recommend driving. It's not the tolls that will get you (plenty of ways to get into NYC from Westchester or CT without paying tolls) - it's the shitty TRAFFIC. All the highways are a mess especially during the morning commute and evening commute. Assuming you have classes early or late - it just may not be worth it to drive. If you can get past that, then it's the shitty parking situation. You could opt for garage parking - but like other people have said, commuting via Metro North would probably be cheaper. Even if it wasn't much cheaper, I would still opt for Metro North. I hate the unpredictable traffic.

I see that you say that it takes almost an hour for you to get to GCT.... which probably means if you drove, you would be in the car for around the same time - maybe even longer. Also, is your car good on gas? If not, not sure if it's worth it - even if you say gas is a non-factor.

Also, contrary to popular belief - lots of people commute from Westchester to Fordham Law. Even the admissions dean (or associate dean...too many titles to remember) - she commutes from Rockland or something. So, yes - it's possible.

P.S. I'm from Westchester (but my commute into GCT is about 25 - 30 min) and have done this commute thing many times if you want to PM me.
It sounds like we live in the same area, as I'm 25-30 minutes from GCT by metro north as well!

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:12 am

I'm just planning on reading whatever I need to for class during my 2 hours of train time a day

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 am

lillawyer2 wrote:

We aren't being technical. We are discussing areas. It is in the UWS. The neighborhood is Lincoln Center. UWS begins West of 59th street. I live on the UES and that also begins after 59th. I was just letting you know-not arguing.
Haha future contract lawyer here? ;) You're right, it was imprecise of me to say midtown. If I attend I'll be taking the D to columbus circle, which I would consider to be in midtown since it is technically south of the park--I think that's why I said midtown in my other post. Lincoln center, where fordham law actually is, would be more appropriately described as UWS.

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:19 am

lillawyer2 wrote: We aren't being technical. We are discussing areas. It is in the UWS. The neighborhood is Lincoln Center. UWS begins West of 59th street. I live on the UES and that also begins after 59th. I was just letting you know-not arguing.
#1. Relax lol
#2. People associate Fordham with Columbus Circle as well, and that's considered Midtown. You're right but Chalala isn't wrong either. No need to correct someone when they're not wrong haha
+1 :)

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:45 am

chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

We aren't being technical. We are discussing areas. It is in the UWS. The neighborhood is Lincoln Center. UWS begins West of 59th street. I live on the UES and that also begins after 59th. I was just letting you know-not arguing.
Haha future contract lawyer here? ;) You're right, it was imprecise of me to say midtown. If I attend I'll be taking the D to columbus circle, which I would consider to be in midtown since it is technically south of the park--I think that's why I said midtown in my other post. Lincoln center, where fordham law actually is, would be more appropriately described as UWS.
It's just annoying and unnecessary lolol

Ok fine, I'll nitpick too. There's no "West of 59th Street"....it's called West 59th Street. Get it right!!!

Fellow UES Resident :wink:
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:47 am

I consider Lincoln Center to be western midtown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 am

chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

if you hadn't gotten i was being funny by now, i would have lost all hope for you and the other sensitive nellie below.

Again, since it wasn't serious for anyone I am surpised how much back and forth we are having.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:51 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

if you hadn't gotten i was being funny by now, i would have lost all hope for you and the other sensitive nellie below.

Again, since it wasn't serious for anyone I am surpised how much back and forth we are having.
Or maybe you're just bad at being funny lol

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Ok fine, I'll nitpick too. There's no "West of 59th Street"....it's called West 59th Street. Get it right!!!

Darling, just PM me, because I think in an effort to nitpick and be witty, you are not making sense. Once you continue going west of 59th street you are in the UWS. Keep going west until you hit 110th street and that makes up the UWS.

You claim it isn't serious, the comment was annoying and unnecessary, yet you still want to talk about it. Please be my guess and litter my inbox with more nitpicking, annoying and unnecessary comments. I welcome them and do find it a wonderful distraction. :D lol

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:59 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Darling, just PM me, because I think in an effort to nitpick and be witty, you are not making sense. Once you continue going west of 59th street you are in the UWS. Keep going west until you hit 110th street and that makes up the UWS.

You claim it isn't serious, the comment was annoying and unnecessary, yet you still want to talk about it. Please be my guess and litter my inbox with more nitpicking, annoying and unnecessary comments. I welcome them and do find it a wonderful distraction. :D lol
I think you're confusing North with West....you go North of 59th Street to get to 110 Street...or did they redo the grid recently?
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:01 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Or maybe you're just bad at being funny lol
Naw, it was probably how you read it. I can't fix your mind, whisper it in your ear and tell you how I want it to translate. You read it and assumed the worst.

What's done is done right? :wink:

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Hahaha no worries. I might have been surprised but for the fact that this is a law school blog

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

I think you're confusing North with West....you go North of 59th Street to get to 110 Street...or did they redo the grid recently?
If I confused it, made a new rule, switched the grid, would it change the fact that W62nd St is in the UWS?

However, a good girl owns her mistakes and never makes them twice.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

If I confused it, made a new rule, switched the grid, would it change the fact that W62nd St is in the UWS?

Jeezus, I'm not trying to pick a fight...was genuinely curious as to what you were talking about. But glad we cleared it up. Cheers!

(insert passive aggressive emoji here)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 am

chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Hahaha no worries. I might have been surprised but for the fact that this is a law school blog
I am glad you don't mind me. I'm harmless.

People in the lower 60's need to cling ot our identity, less we become confused.

Have you decided to attend Fordham?

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Jeezus, I'm not trying to pick a fight...was genuinely curious as to what you were talking about. But glad we cleared it up. Cheers!

(insert passive aggressive emoji here)
My...my you are wound tight..

I need to put ...i come in peace...in paranthesis when I speak to you.

I mean no harm.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am

lillawyer2 wrote: My...my you are wound tight..

I need to put ...i come in peace...in paranthesis when I speak to you.

I mean no harm.
We're New Yorkers. This is just how we say hello :D

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:15 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

People in the lower 60's need to cling ot our identity, less we become confused.

Pretty much decided on Fordham, unless NYU has some sudden good news for me, which is statistically unlikely. Gonna visit a few schools next week and see if I develop any new feelings about this whole thing. You?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:17 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:The email also says this:

"You are in our very first rounds of offers this year so while we are very excited to welcome you to our class, we are still in the process of getting our Admitted Student Website ready"

So this is still very early and there are plenty of seats left in the class. So for everyone who didn't hear back yet, fret not!

CONGRATS YOU GUYS!!!!!!
SEE?! WE'RE FRIENDS!!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:The email also says this:

"You are in our very first rounds of offers this year so while we are very excited to welcome you to our class, we are still in the process of getting our Admitted Student Website ready"

So this is still very early and there are plenty of seats left in the class. So for everyone who didn't hear back yet, fret not!

CONGRATS YOU GUYS!!!!!!
SEE?! WE'RE FRIENDS!!
We got along so well! I was like damn. Did this person forget we have history?!
Last edited by lillawyer2 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Pretty much decided on Fordham, unless NYU has some sudden good news for me, which is statistically unlikely. Gonna visit a few schools next week and see if I develop any new feelings about this whole thing. You?
Same feelings...unless Columbia knocks on my door. Fordham i is and I am happy!

Did yall visit Fordham yet? I was very impressed. I haven't visited my other NyC schools, bc they were all safety schools.

For those who haven't received full scholarships, how are yall paying for school..loans/savings?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Same feelings...unless Columbia knocks on my door. Fordham i is and I am happy!

Did yall visit Fordham yet? I was very impressed. I haven't visited my other NyC schools, bc they were all safety schools.

For those who haven't received full scholarships, how are yall paying for school..loans/savings?
I visited in early March (I believe the 3rd) and had a sit down/tour with Dean Reilly who is one of the Deans in the social justice center. It's a beautiful building and my favorite NYC neighborhood (I grew up a few blocks away). I'm going to admitted Students Day on the 7th but I already am looking for housing (currently in the suburbs of westchester but don't wanna commute back and forth- just personal preference and advice I've gotten from former Fordham law students that commuted 1L year). Unless my reaches come through, I'm going to be at Fordham.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”