Fordham Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lillawyer2

Silver

Re: Fordham Law c/o 2020

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:
Nero21 wrote:Hey I'm having a tough time deciding between Fordham and some other options. Can anybody who has gotten in and would be paying around sticker tell me their thinking as to why Fordham is worth the risk of taking on such a large amount of debt? Do you have money/ financial support, don't really care about the debt, Fordham is the most prestigious school you got into, are from NYC so no COL expenses, etc? Thanks !
What other schools are you deciding between? (If not names, then can you offer some kind of comparison explaining what their relative merits are for you?)
I'm in between Fordham with a very minimal scholarship and a Tier II school with basically full scholarship but I don't want to practice in the area where they would probably place me. I have also been waitlisted by UChicago, Columbia, Vandy, Washington in St. Louis, Emory, and William and Mary. Haven't heard back from a few others though.

Also to the person above who said its not worth it, I was hoping to understand why its not. The assistant dean who increased my scholarship told me that only 1/3 of Fordham law students get scholarship, so I was wondering what the other 2/3's of students who don't get any scholarship do or how they rationalize taking on this amount out in loans.
How I imagine 2/3 of the class manages without a bit of skolly:

1. Delusional about prospects

2. Delusional about how easily-quickly debt can be paid back.

3. They have money-parents/savings/job is paying for it or most of it.

4. Don't give a shit about debt. I know people how lease/borrow things they can't afford and pay bare minimum for everything. Thier lack of worry is something I envy.

largemarge26

New

Post by largemarge26 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:
Nero21 wrote:Hey I'm having a tough time deciding between Fordham and some other options. Can anybody who has gotten in and would be paying around sticker tell me their thinking as to why Fordham is worth the risk of taking on such a large amount of debt? Do you have money/ financial support, don't really care about the debt, Fordham is the most prestigious school you got into, are from NYC so no COL expenses, etc? Thanks !
What other schools are you deciding between? (If not names, then can you offer some kind of comparison explaining what their relative merits are for you?)
I'm in between Fordham with a very minimal scholarship and a Tier II school with basically full scholarship but I don't want to practice in the area where they would probably place me. I have also been waitlisted by UChicago, Columbia, Vandy, Washington in St. Louis, Emory, and William and Mary. Haven't heard back from a few others though.

Also to the person above who said its not worth it, I was hoping to understand why its not. The assistant dean who increased my scholarship told me that only 1/3 of Fordham law students get scholarship, so I was wondering what the other 2/3's of students who don't get any scholarship do or how they rationalize taking on this amount out in loans.

+1 would also find this answer very helpful

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:47 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

4. Don't give a shit about debt. I know people how lease/borrow things they can't afford and pay bare minimum for everything. Thier lack of worry is something I envy.

I"m debating if fordham is worth it for 40k/y maybe I'm too pessimisistic

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:02 am

snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

You'd have to take out a loan for 40k each year or your skolly is 40k?

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:58 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

I don't know about that person's situation but my skolly is only worth $20,000 which means I'll have about $180,000 in student debt which I don't know if any school is worth that. Would it be unreasonable to go a tier II and try to transfer out after the 1st year to save myself from one year of law school debt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Can anyone please tell what is the reasonable range of need based aid one can expect. Further, when can we hear back on it? I've received my merit scholarship and is not enough. Have applied for need based now.
I hope I can piggy back on your question and add: why for graduate school do they need your parent's income? it seems odd they would assume your parents are going to help with LS. I have a disabled parent with no income and a mom eho recently retired, but her last years income is a lot. Ugh this kinda stinks.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try for need based aid.
My dad is retired and my mom doesn't make very much money but they both just sold houses and each have over 400k in the bank because of it, so I'm not even applying for the need based aid. It seems like a waste of time for me because of how much information they want (w2s, etc.) when I doubt I'd even get anything when they specifiy that they only give to the neediest students. I think it's bogus that they want your parents info.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:57 am

Nero21 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

I don't know about that person's situation but my skolly is only worth $20,000 which means I'll have about $180,000 in student debt which I don't know if any school is worth that. Would it be unreasonable to go a tier II and try to transfer out after the 1st year to save myself from one year of law school debt?
Oh wow that is a lot. I am assuming housing is included in that debt amt. Is there a way you can cut that cost down? Can you stay at home?

Is the tier II in a market you want to practice in? Can you get a good/decent job from that school?

I hate debt. I also have a problem with how expensive LS is considering it isn't a guaranteed money making profession. I will have debt coming out of Fordham, but it will be a lot less. I made sure I put some money aside (I graduated 2014) and when I graduate LS I will use that hopefully pay down the debt, but idk.

If you really love Fordham and believe it is going to give you what you want out of LS and career opportunities, then go to Fordham, butI understand its a hard decision to make.

2020hopeful12345

New

Post by 2020hopeful12345 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:35 am

chalala wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
JC2017 wrote:
nhale1225 wrote:
JC2017 wrote:Anyone going to ASD on Friday? Looks like a fun day of stuff planned. I'd be down to grab a beer or five after all is said and done if anyone is interested in meeting up.
I'll be there! A beer after sounds excellent.
Excellent. I'll PM you to arrange.
I'll be there as well!
+1

+1

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

40k scholarship

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:38 pm

I just wanted to check with others going to ASD tomorrow. I haven't gotten anything to read for the mock class. Are they giving it out tomorrow, did I miss it somewhere, or are they having a class with no reading? I don't want to show up unprepared!

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:00 pm

also regarding asd, does it start at 9:30 or 10. The invite said 10 but a schedule they sent said 930

lvlaw3

New

Post by lvlaw3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:06 pm

snarfing wrote:also regarding asd, does it start at 9:30 or 10. The invite said 10 but a schedule they sent said 930
a recent e-mail said, "Registration Opens/Continental Breakfast" is at 9:30, and the remarks by the Dean are at 10. def getting there at 9:35 (fashionably late) but with enough time to get the lay of the land snack-wise

JC2017

New

Post by JC2017 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:I just wanted to check with others going to ASD tomorrow. I haven't gotten anything to read for the mock class. Are they giving it out tomorrow, did I miss it somewhere, or are they having a class with no reading? I don't want to show up unprepared!
I haven't gotten anything besides the basic outline of the day. The mock class is only scheduled for 50 minutes so I doubt it'll be too in depth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:15 pm

JC2017 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:I just wanted to check with others going to ASD tomorrow. I haven't gotten anything to read for the mock class. Are they giving it out tomorrow, did I miss it somewhere, or are they having a class with no reading? I don't want to show up unprepared!
I haven't gotten anything besides the basic outline of the day. The mock class is only scheduled for 50 minutes so I doubt it'll be too in depth.
Fair enough. I've had readings for mock classes at other schools so I thought most/all schools did that (otherwise I feel like it'll be a lecture and not interactive). I guess we shall see!

JC2017

New

Post by JC2017 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
JC2017 wrote:
Fair enough. I've had readings for mock classes at other schools so I thought most/all schools did that (otherwise I feel like it'll be a lecture and not interactive). I guess we shall see!
Interesting. This will be only my 2nd ASD, and the first one was quite short with no mock classes or anything like that. Just a discussion panel with former students and professors.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Got my scholarship offer six days after my admissions offer. It's not enough to entice me to consider the school, but I figured I'd let you guys know.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:50 pm

snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

40k scholarship
Lol I don't think Fordham goes much higher. Did you get a better offer somewhere else? 40k in scholarship is good-can you cut cost by staying at home

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

celticsfan

New

Post by celticsfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Anyone successfully negotiate with Fordham?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 pm

snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

40k scholarship
I got 25k a year, so I'll be paying 30k a year by taking 15-20k a year in loans and the rest regular and I thought that was a steal... Maybe that's just me because I didn't think they'd give me that much.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:07 pm

snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
snarfing wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
chalala wrote:

40k scholarship
Fordham with 40k isn't bad, but that also means you have better options if they're giving you that much, since they cap at 45k.

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:36 pm

celticsfan wrote:Anyone successfully negotiate with Fordham?
I sent a letter asking for more money or else I wouldn't be able to go and I got 5k more per year, in total 15k. I also tried to counter offer that amount and ask for more but it didn't work out lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nero21 wrote:

Oh wow that is a lot. I am assuming housing is included in that debt amt. Is there a way you can cut that cost down? Can you stay at home?

Is the tier II in a market you want to practice in? Can you get a good/decent job from that school?

I hate debt. I also have a problem with how expensive LS is considering it isn't a guaranteed money making profession. I will have debt coming out of Fordham, but it will be a lot less. I made sure I put some money aside (I graduated 2014) and when I graduate LS I will use that hopefully pay down the debt, but idk.

If you really love Fordham and believe it is going to give you what you want out of LS and career opportunities, then go to Fordham, butI understand its a hard decision to make.
[/quote]

I cant' stay at home unless I attend that tier II as I am not originally from NY , and it is not in the market I want sadly. I could probably get an okay job by graduating from there but I don't want to practice here. I'm not set on Fordham though. I am extremely happy that they accepted me and I never knew if I would even get in but since other, higher ranked schools have waitlisted me I'm now torn because almost 200K in debt doesn't seem that bad if its from Columbia or UChicago just because of their prestige and job placement, but making the argument for Fordham is getting harder as I keep on being waitlisted by these schools I also hate debt like you but I haven't planned out my law school experience (i.e. funding) as well as you have, but I'm glad somebody at Fordham won't be destroyed by debt. :D

mhassan72

New

Post by mhassan72 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Nero21 wrote:
celticsfan wrote:Anyone successfully negotiate with Fordham?
I sent a letter asking for more money or else I wouldn't be able to go and I got 5k more per year, in total 15k. I also tried to counter offer that amount and ask for more but it didn't work out lol
can you pm me your numbers...I tried to get more money but they said no

bosstweedfan

New

Post by bosstweedfan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:32 pm

Does anyone know if Fordham allows you to double deposit? I can't find anything saying you CANNOT, but it makes me nervous. I like to have something writing saying you CAN.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 pm

so how did people feel about asd. How much was bs do you think?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”